New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Trog's Tavern CLIV

Dungeons and Dimensions

"Are you all right? To us, it looks like you're trapped in there." Of course, this is more magic stuff Jason doesn't really understand, but she at least knows how to seem concerned and helpful.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ghost in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    Previously...

And now...

[Scratchpeck]

Reinholdt nods. "It is. We helped solve a meme virus awhile back that ravaged Inside's non-human population." Terrible virus that.

Rein's grin returns twice as wide. "Yeah I can. Side effects included, but that doesn't stop me." Rein starts floating upwards until he's a few inches off the bar stool just to show his point. He's definitely flying. Or at least, levitating. He also turns entirely pink, skin and hair, to match his eyes. After a moment, the color fades and he floats back down to his seat. "It's not the best thing that ever happened to me, but it's close and I sure didn't do anything to deserve it."

The treasure hunter nods at Kestrel. "What about you? Can you fly?" He's been wondering about that for awhile now.

AvianFeline

The word "meme" meant nothing to Kestrel, but for once her curious nature didn't lead her to asking about it. She was far, far too interested with the concept of flight. When Reinholdt turned pink and lifted into the air, her golden eyes widened with amazement. "Woah... you can fly!" As with many things in the nexus, someone with the ability to fly was new to her, and in this case it seemed absolutely incredible. She pictured the freedom of being able to just soar through the air, to swoop and laugh in delight.

"Hmm? Oh, you asking 'cus of these?" Kestrel held up her forearm, running the fingers of her other hand through the mess of brown feathers that sprouted from it's underside. "Nah, I can't fly. I really wish I could! I do have... sorta a natural feather fall I guess. But what's flying like? How high can you go!? How fast!?" The little birdgirl was overflowing with excitement. Maybe there could even be a way for her to learn to fly!
    Last edited by Meowmai; 2020-02-25 at 12:20 AM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

FeverFlu

Reinholdt nods in confirmation as Kes draws attention to her feathers. But he frowns when she says she can't. He was really hoping to find someone new to fly with. Hasn't been anyone since Melody. "Pfft. You can't? That sucks."

Rein hops off the barstool, standing up. "Falling slowly is still useful though. But in terms of flying? Come on. Finish your drink and I'll show you. Way better than trying to describe it to you." Rein knocks back the rest of his in one smooth movement before heading towards the door, only wobbling a little bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Orc in the Playground

Dungeon Dimension

"I can hear you. It's faint, though. Can you get me out of here? My father will reward you. Land, money, anything. Probably anything." To take advantage of that offer, however, they'd need to actually find the boy's father. Then he turns and runs to the bed, looking to see if there's anything behind it. Apparently not, as he turns and heads back to the mirror, shaking his head.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

5. - Top - End - #125
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Dungeon Dimension]

"Don't worry, we'll get you out," the paladin promises.

Even though she doesn't have any particular way to enter or exit mirrors.

She follows up with a question.
    "Do you know how you got in there? Or anything about it?" she asks.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

Dimension of Dungeons

"I'm not very good with magic things. Do you know how you got in there?" Jason looks over the frame of the mirror, trying to see if she can see anything unusual about it. She's really out of her depth here.

My Nexus characters

7. - Top - End - #127
    Orc in the Playground

Dungeon Dimension

"Get in where? What? Oh. You're looking through the mirror like I am, right? I don't know. I woke up here. Last thing I remember was the feast. Father was welcoming the new ambassador from Neuva España. I had to be there because I'm his heir. I remember sitting down for the meal, but I can't remember eating anything." Might be a good idea soon to ask who, exactly, this lad is and where he's from.

8. - Top - End - #128

Dungeon Dimension

Well, obviously he's the prince of Vieja España...oh, wait. Zophiel is one of my characters who doesn't know any Spanish. Nevermind.

"Yes, we're looking through this mirror," she confirms. She moves behind the mirror so that she can make some tiny changes to the seal on her back without the boy looking. This will allow him to see magic even better than the changes she had already made earlier.

"I don't know where España is," she says, peeking back around the mirror to tell the boy, "Mind telling me about it?" This should help keep the kid calm, if that's necessary.

While listening, she looks around the mirror - and the room - for magics, and everything else similar. Maybe she should check behind the bed like that boy did earlier?
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

Dimensional Dungeon

"What's your name?" Jason asks. She tries her best to seem concerned rather than confused. This is really where Zophiel excels. She'll try to avoid getting in the paladin's way while she works.

My Nexus characters

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ghost in the Playground

[RunningOutOfThingsForBothBirdsAndCats]

"Yeah, it does suck..." Kestrel trailed off, now feeling somewhat self conscious compared to Reinholdt. He just seemed way cooler than she did. I mean, he had clearly gone on way more amazing adventures than she had, and he could fly!.

At Rein's beckoning, she finished off her drink, standing up and feeling her head spin for a moment. She regained her balance and followed him out towards the door, not quite managing to walk in a straight line. She had only had one drink, but she was quite a lightweight, and she had downed hers very quickly, so the birdgirl was a little tipsy.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

[ClowderFlock]

Reinholdt leads the unsuspecting Kes right into another thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Orc in the Playground

Dungeonal Dimension

The boy tilts his head and looks confused. "You don't know who I am? Then... how did you find me? I'm Prince Brad Bowie, heir to the Kingdom of Texas." An interesting name and title, for anyone with a knowledge of Earth history.

13. - Top - End - #133

Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    "Uh-uh," Adir shakes his head, but his eyes never leave C4. "This was fresh, buddy. Strong. Like you woulda had to be there. If it were just your stuff, I couldn't have picked it up like I did."

"Listen... C4... we been pretty tight since my wedding, and I don't think you're a bad guy. But... even good guys make bad calls sometimes. I can still help you get away from those decisions, but you gotta stop lying to me, man. Please. I'm your friend. Who are you? Really?"
    Zefir takes a look around. He makes sure none is listening to them, but in a location like this you can never be sure. He takes a moment to think. Adir's sens of smell got him into real trouble. He is sure he won't fall for it when he tries to tell him he makes business and was just there. After all the attack wasn't a public event. No he wouldn't belive that. There is no way to avoid his connection to AMEN, but maybe he shouldn't tell him his position, or his own sake.

"Well, I don't think this is a place to just announce something, but tell me, what decissions do you think I made. I will correct them if you assume wrong."

Getting out what he knows and maybe who also knows might be important.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

14. - Top - End - #134

Ambrosia's armored hand pushes the door open and the scholar enters trog's.
    It certainly wasn't the sort of place she'd usually visit but she had been to triple B and trog's wasn't really that much exotic despite what the rumors claimed. Supposedly, there patrons got attacked so often here that the tavern had a way of "resetting" itself. Or so the rumors went at least. Even her informants had said it was a old rumor so it might not even be true, or at least not anymore.

It certainly was a unique gathering of people inside though, regardless of the taverns own oddities. Far more activity than in the triple B too it seemed.
    Sitting down at a table, she waits to see if she could spot the person she had came here to see.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zee has at this point just emerged from the bathroom and is in the process of washing her hands. Not that she had done anything bathroom-y in there, but it's just a good idea to wash your hands anyway.

Sure she can just purge anything living from her skin on a whim, but appearances are important too! People get grossed out if servers are serving them with unwashed hands. Simply unhygienic.

She slips her apron back on and -ah!

A new customer!

"Howdy, welcome to Trog's Tavern!" she calls out to Ambrosia. "I don't think I've met you before. What can I get for you today?"

Zee seems friendly and personable and wholly unremarkable at first glance.

She doesn't have the sort of immaculate beauty or supernatural attractiveness that some in the Nexus possess. Just a fairly average, unremarkable looking human female. Her casual confidence and general friendliness are probably her most stand-out features.

Unless, of course, one happens to be the sort of person who can peer perpendicular to reality.

In that case it becomes clear that Zee is absolutely not a normal human female. A draconic form of truly titanic scale is curled around and folded in on itself within her.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

16. - Top - End - #136

[Dungeon Dimension]

Most of my characters have knowledge of Texas.
    Zophiel does not.

Since she doesn't know about that, she lets Jason keep on talking to the kid while Zophiel goes looking for traces of magic or strange things. She checks behind the bed, behind the mirror...and everywhere else she thinks might help.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

Donjon Dimension

"Texas?" That's strange. Texas is definitely not a kingdom where Jason comes from. The name Bowie is familiar too. "I don't think I've heard of it," she lies. It's best not to confuse the boy too much right away.

My Nexus characters

18. - Top - End - #138

The scholar turns to see the 'bar maid'.
    A clever disguise, hiding in plain sight like that. But even if her informants hadn't already confirmed that Zee was much more than she appeared, the scholar was already unnerved by Zee's presence. It reminded her far too much of the aeontholians. Just what was this woman? Her lack of a presence within the aether was very distinct even though she didn't feed upon it like a legion would.

"Howdy, miss. I'm Ambrosia Ithil, a scholar. I'd just want lighter snacks and a pineapple juice." She remarks, pointing them out on the menu. "However, the real reason I'm here is that I'd like to ask you a couple of questions for a research project. Once you finish work, would you mind meeting up with me?"

19. - Top - End - #139
    Orc in the Playground

Prince Brad's Bedroom

"Oh. Where're you from, then? How'd you find me? Am... Am I ever going to get home?" He doesn't even know how to get into that mirror where Jason and Zophiel are! How's he going to do anything like see his father again?

Zophiel may or may not be surprised to learn that this chamber is a dimensional pocket, one that they shouldn't have been able to access like they did. Only the people who created it or have been told how to find it should do that. It also doesn't have quite the same relationship to time as the Nexus does; put simply, time doesn't pass here. Prince Brad could have been in that mirror for five hours, five days, five years or five centuries, and he'd look the same. Prince Brad is also stuck in the mirror, which is also magic. There is, at the bottom of the mirror, a keyhole behind the glass. Zophiel can't touch it, but it suggests a way to get in, she just has to find the key.

There's a small box under the bed, made of steel and locked. Inside that box is a brass key with garnets set into the shaft and base; also enchanted. If Zophiel doesn't find it, or can't get into the box, she could maybe try smashing it.

20. - Top - End - #140

Ha ha, yeah.

Those darn aeontholians! Always doing... time things?

Zee's picking up on some odd stuff from Ambrosia's worldline but she isn't totally sure what it's referring to. Obviously something otherworldly. Though she's reasonably sure that the... person? who just came in can tell that she's pretty unusual. Which is fine. Sometimes people can do that. Just so long as they don't start trying to smite her or whatever that's no big deal.

"I'm Yezekiel Xar'cha, a barmaid," Zee replies brightly as she begins gathering snacks and some pineapple juice. "Questions, huh? I've been getting quite a few people in here recently asking about me."

A beat.

"Well, one other person. But that's still more than usual! Are the questions sensitive or something? The kind of stuff I can't just answer here?"

The juice and snacks are provided! Snacks in this question are a selection of nice crackers with various little slices of cured meat to go with them.

Sweet and savory go great together! Like pinapple on pizza!

...that's how you can tell that Zee is an unholy abomination. She actually likes pineapple on pizza.

21. - Top - End - #141

Prince Brad's Bedroom

Yeah, that's...not surprising. Considering its location in the bathroom, it didn't seem like a normal non-dimensional pocket.

And everything's magic.

Figures.

Should've brought somebody who was good at magic. "A weird keyhole..."

Zophiel looks...and under the bed! She finds! the box!

It's locked, so she picks it up and sets it on the bed. "Hey, can you pick locks?" she asks Jason, gesturing at the box. She doesn't want to smash it open, in case that breaks whatever's inside it...
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

Bradroom

"I'm from..." If Jason tells the truth, the prince will probably recognize the name of Vermont. It's probably better for her to continue lying. "... It's not important. Nowhere you'd know." Prince Brad probably wouldn't recognize Jason's Vermont even if he did go there. Then Zophiel holds out the box. "Better." Jason replies. She digs around in her pockets (Ugh. Why are the pockets on women's pants so small?), until she manages to pull out a small, boxy device. "Hold it still. This should do the trick." She lines it up with the lock and switches it on, and it emits a thin beam of white-hot light, hot enough to melt metal. Jason gently uses it to (hopefully) cut through the locking mechanism so the box can be opened.

My Nexus characters

23. - Top - End - #143

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    Ha ha, yeah.

Those darn aeontholians! Always doing... time things?

Zee's picking up on some odd stuff from Ambrosia's worldline but she isn't totally sure what it's referring to. Obviously something otherworldly. Though she's reasonably sure that the... person? who just came in can tell that she's pretty unusual. Which is fine. Sometimes people can do that. Just so long as they don't start trying to smite her or whatever that's no big deal.

"I'm Yezekiel Xar'cha, a barmaid," Zee replies brightly as she begins gathering snacks and some pineapple juice. "Questions, huh? I've been getting quite a few people in here recently asking about me."

A beat.

"Well, one other person. But that's still more than usual! Are the questions sensitive or something? The kind of stuff I can't just answer here?"

The juice and snacks are provided! Snacks in this question are a selection of nice crackers with various little slices of cured meat to go with them.

Sweet and savory go great together! Like pinapple on pizza!

...that's how you can tell that Zee is an unholy abomination. She actually likes pineapple on pizza.
    "They vary in nature. But some of them might be considered sensetive and I don't want to distract you from your duties." The fact Zee had managed to bring her snacks and a drink so quickly made her feel like she had already taken up too much of her time. "But would you mind telling me who have been asking you questions before I leave you to your job? What did they want to hear?"

24. - Top - End - #144
    Orc in the Playground

Bradroom

Jason could always just name the town, city or community within Vermont where she grew up. Brad's less likely to recognise that... Unless it's Montpelier, anyway.

The box is popped open with a laser! Inside, there's a small bag of coins, many issued by the Kingdom of Texas, others by the Thirteen Colonies, one from the Free City of Las Vegas and two from the Republic of Vermont. The Texan ones have a bust of a king holding a large knife on one side, and a star on the other; the Thirteen Colonies have pounds and pence, with a Queen on them; the Free City of Las Vegas has a gold coin with L on one side, V on the other and a finely textured rim and Vermont has silver coins marked with the state flag. Also a large brass key, matching the mirror in colour.

25. - Top - End - #145

Zee laughs at the suggestion that she might be distractable.

"Oh don't worry about that part. I'm really good at multi-tasking," she replies.

It's quite true!

Exceptionally good at multi-tasking. Mostly due to taking advantage of the somewhat wonky nature of time in the Nexus. She doesn't appear to be doing so at this very moment, though, so no visual aids sadly.

"Last person was a wizard from Skyside using bits of unusual creatures and people to brew potions that give people super powers. He... uh... wanted to know if I would participate as a donor," she explains, looking vaguely uncomfortable with the concept. "I explained to him in no uncertain terms that what he was doing was a really terrible idea."

He didn't listen.

Still making super hero potions.

But Zee wasn't going to stop him.

"What sort of place would you want to ask your questions at?" Zee asks while bringing some sandwiches to a table full of kobold tourists. "If you guys need any more beetles let me know, okay?"

26. - Top - End - #146

[Bradroom]

Zophiel thanks Jason for opening it.

She grabs the key. "I saw a keyhole over by the mirror, I think," she says.

She walks back over to the mirror, holding the key, and shows it to Brad. "Hey, do you know where this key goes to?" she asks him. Meanwhile, she looks, trying to find where she saw that keyhole from earlier and...something about it felt weird.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

Bradroom

Jason examines the coins. The Texas and Vermont ones interest her the most. Apparently the Revolutionary War went very differently where Brad is from. She recognizes the figure of Jim Bowie on the Texas coin. Would that be Brad's father, or grandfather? She can't ask, since that would give away all her earlier lies. She returns to the mirror, and begins looking for the keyhole Zophiel mentioned.

My Nexus characters

28. - Top - End - #148
    Orc in the Playground

Bradroom

Prince Brad shakes his head; he does not recognise the key.

The keyhole? It's at the bottom of the mirror, just above the lower edge of the mirror frame, behind the glass. Though the key doesn't actually care if the glass is there, passing straight through as though the glass doesn't exist.

29. - Top - End - #149

[Bradroom]

Regardless of which one of them actually finds the lock, Zophiel brings the key to that spot and tries it in the mirror.

It's weird. She warns the boy: "Hey, we're going to try something," she says.

She twists the key.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

Bradroom

Jason stands patiently by. There's only one way to find out if this works, and that's to try it. She hangs back from the mirror a little, in case it's a trap.

My Nexus characters