Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Could an Internet even work in Star Wars?

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I was around then, I well remember it (I still have the little book somewhere I was keeping note of my time online back in 1996 because I had to pay extra if I went over 20 hours a month). However, while the *bandwidth* of the Internet was very low in those days, the response times were still near instantaneous, and as far as I'm aware that has always been the case--there would be no real advantage to e-mail if it took just as long to arrive at its destination as the regular post, after all. Some sort of Internet which had to allow for long communications delays would not be the same thing we had in the 90s any more than it would be close to what we have now.
    Throwing a guess out, I imagine any sort of truly widespread but highly responsive scheme would all but require that systems/planets/sectors/etc. have their own repositories for content; basically adding another few levels of hierarchy to the edge caching that's sometimes used on this Internet for avoiding cross-continent delays.

That would, in turn, mean any sort of serious effort to disseminate particular information galaxy-wide would vastly favor non-personalized content that's the same regardless of who's viewing it, to make the most of that arrangement....So it'd look more like (how I remember) the Internet of the late 90s than the Internet of today.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

From what I recall of Legends, there were multiple forms of FTL comms.

You had the HoloNet everyone is talking about, which provided real-time holographic or video communication and was heavily restricted or expensive to use.

At the same time multiple references are made to something called a 'Hypercomm' which I think it mainly audio/data transmission through hyperspace in a point-to-point manner. Lower bandwidth and cost, but not as networked as the HoloNet.

Finally there's a couple references made to subspace comms in the Thrawn Trilogy, but very little elaboration was made.

As for a Galaxy-Wide internet like what we know, I don't think there's much mention of anything close to that except on a planetary scale.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Old EU seemed to think the HoloNet had some semblance to broadcast TV or internet, given that Face Loran was known throughout the galaxy due to his holodramas.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show
    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

4. - Top - End - #34
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    given that Face Loran was known throughout the galaxy due to his holodramas.
    I was a fan of Loran It was a good and happy time.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Old EU seemed to think the HoloNet had some semblance to broadcast TV or internet, given that Face Loran was known throughout the galaxy due to his holodramas.
    That might actually work with the idea that holonet bandwidth is expensive/hard to create and usually reserved for states and large corporations. A planetary system only needs to receive one copy of a movie or TV episode, and can spread it through normal means from there. Sending something to one person is just as expensive as sending it to a billion, as long as those billion live in the same system. So it would be much better suited for mass media than for anything on demand.

Suits the by now retro feel of Star Wars too. This might be my new headcanon.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2020-01-17 at 12:41 PM.
    The Hindsight Awards, round 3: Vote for the best movies of 1999.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

According to TFA light travels instantly, so light based communications could easily make an internet system.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    According to TFA light travels instantly, so light based communications could easily make an internet system.
    Wasn't it a big plot point in that movie that Han Solo's reaction speed was basically faster than light?
    The Hindsight Awards, round 3: Vote for the best movies of 1999.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    Wasn't it a big plot point in that movie that Han Solo's reaction speed was basically faster than light?
    There is that, but specifically Finn sees planets at least several light years away get blown up by the Starkiller as they blow up. This means space communications are really easy, just using morse code between planets would work.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    There is that, but specifically Finn sees planets at least several light years away get blown up by the Starkiller as they blow up. This means space communications are really easy, just using morse code between planets would work.
    That gets explained in some book later as The Laser ripping open a hole in hyperspace making it so that large chunks of the Galaxy see Hosnian Prime die.

It's stupid, but not as stupid as a laser going several hundred times C in Realspace
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel