New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Exalted 2/2.5 Looking for Dragon Blood pregnancy rules

Hello guys :)

I am playing a Dragon Blood game with two friends(I am one of the player).

The ST said that there are rules that say that the parents lose Essence when they make kids.

The problem is that we failed at finding the rules for it. I will be happy if someone know the book name and the right page with this rule or in case the rule does not exist I will be happy to know.

We searched in the following books:
    Manual of Exalted Power - Dragon-Blooded
    Compass of Celestial Directions Vol. 1 - The Blessed Isle

We also tried using google but were not able to find anything but breeding charms.

The story:
    My character is going to use the other player character as a breeding mate because both have Legendary Breeding.
    I am a daughter of V’neef and he is an adopted DragonBlood in house Tepet and a non legionnaire(he have no way to say no because it will help his house and my character motivation is to make everyone happy and make sure she keep the blood as pure as she can).

We already talked about the fact that the story can go this way before.
    Last edited by BloodSnake'sCha; 2020-01-09 at 06:05 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Exalted 2/2.5 Looking for Dragon Blood pregnancy rules

DB's do not lose essence when they have kids. Exaltation is an imperishable black box miracle of the gods, especially DB Exaltation which is designed to be able to create more Exaltations than it previously had. also the way its worded would suggest that ALL parents lose essence when they have kids which is dumb. Why would an E5 solar suddenly go down to Essence 2 just because they had three kids or something? Especially if they're like a sexy Genghis Khan going around getting it on with the ladies everywhere in a consensual manner because they're just that attractive, so if that rule was true it completely invalidates "sexy wandering hero/warlord" type of Exalt who leaves behind children everywhere they go. Especially since DB's are the one with incentive to do that sort of thing because of the nature of their Exaltation. Exalted is not about enforcing your character to be careful about having sexy times lest with people lest you get weaker through mechanics.

in short, the rule doesn't exist, and its dumb. I can get in contact with the rest of the Exalted community to ask to make sure but their response will in all probability be that the rule is dumb as well.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    DB's do not lose essence when they have kids. Exaltation is an imperishable black box miracle of the gods, especially DB Exaltation which is designed to be able to create more Exaltations than it previously had. also the way its worded would suggest that ALL parents lose essence when they have kids which is dumb. Why would an E5 solar suddenly go down to Essence 2 just because they had three kids or something? Especially if they're like a sexy Genghis Khan going around getting it on with the ladies everywhere in a consensual manner because they're just that attractive, so if that rule was true it completely invalidates "sexy wandering hero/warlord" type of Exalt who leaves behind children everywhere they go. Especially since DB's are the one with incentive to do that sort of thing because of the nature of their Exaltation. Exalted is not about enforcing your character to be careful about having sexy times lest with people lest you get weaker through mechanics.

in short, the rule doesn't exist, and its dumb. I can get in contact with the rest of the Exalted community to ask to make sure but their response will in all probability be that the rule is dumb as well.
    We actually started looking because it looked weird to us(all the three of us, ST included).

thank you for the help.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

There is a lot of fluff that says Dragonblooded who have more than one child die much earlier that otherwise, but nothing I ever read about that costing them essence (given ho ... rare truly powerful Dragonblooded already are, that would otherwise have killed off the Empire long before the return of the other Exalted^^).

So my suggestion would be: be careful not to need more than say 150 years for your family/Empire plans if you intend to have " a lot" of children ^^
    Last edited by GrayDeath; 2020-01-10 at 07:37 PM.
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BloodSnake'sCha View Post
    Hello guys :)

I am playing a Dragon Blood game with two friends(I am one of the player).

The ST said that there are rules that say that the parents lose Essence when they make kids.

The problem is that we failed at finding the rules for it. I will be happy if someone know the book name and the right page with this rule or in case the rule does not exist I will be happy to know.
    There is no rule as to this effect. It just doesn't happen. Exalted do not lose dots of Permanent Essence when they have children.

It could be a misunderstanding of something that is canonical: that Terrestrial Exalted women age much faster if they have children too quickly. More than one child every five years will cause them to shorten their lifetime down to that of a mortal, but I don't recall any hard numbers ever being given. Also, all Exalted have a term of a full 15-month long year rather than 9 months like mortals.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodSnake'sCha View Post
    We searched in the following books:
    Manual of Exalted Power - Dragon-Blooded
    Compass of Celestial Directions Vol. 1 - The Blessed Isle

We also tried using google but were not able to find anything but breeding charms.

The story:
    My character is going to use the other player character as a breeding mate because both have Legendary Breeding.
    I am a daughter of V’neef and he is an adopted DragonBlood in house Tepet and a non legionnaire(he have no way to say no because it will help his house and my character motivation is to make everyone happy and make sure she keep the blood as pure as she can).

We already talked about the fact that the story can go this way before.
    The stuff I quoted might be in MoEP: Dragon-Blooded, but I think some of it was actually from Dreams of the First Age. It's been years since I've specifically looked. The character idea looks really cool. Legendary Breeding is going to make both characters Very Big Deals in the Realm. The only other canonical Terrestrial with Legendary Breeding at the current time period is, if I remember correctly, the Scarlet Empress herself.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GrayDeath View Post
    There is a lot of fluff that says Dragonblooded who have more than one child die much earlier that otherwise, but nothing I ever read about that costing them essence (given ho ... rare truly powerful Dragonblooded already are, that would otherwise have killed off the Empire long before the return of the other Exalted^^).

So my suggestion would be: be careful not to need more than say 150 years for your family/Empire plans if you intend to have " a lot" of children ^^
    Thanks for the answer :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justyn View Post
    There is no rule as to this effect. It just doesn't happen. Exalted do not lose dots of Permanent Essence when they have children.

It could be a misunderstanding of something that is canonical: that Terrestrial Exalted women age much faster if they have children too quickly. More than one child every five years will cause them to shorten their lifetime down to that of a mortal, but I don't recall any hard numbers ever being given. Also, all Exalted have a term of a full 15-month long year rather than 9 months like mortals.

The stuff I quoted might be in MoEP: Dragon-Blooded, but I think some of it was actually from Dreams of the First Age. It's been years since I've specifically looked. The character idea looks really cool. Legendary Breeding is going to make both characters Very Big Deals in the Realm. The only other canonical Terrestrial with Legendary Breeding at the current time period is, if I remember correctly, the Scarlet Empress herself.
    Thank you too for the answer.

I am sure that V'neef herself also have legendary breeding as she is an experiment of the Empress on blood purity.

And yea, we are a big deal in the realm.
    Spoiler: The story (a small part of it as we play 5 times a week)
    Show
    We start before the disappearance of the Scarlet Empress and my character grandmother (The Scarlet Empress) actually supported the marriage and fall as she rolled a botch on her performance to give her blessing to her granddaughter and the lost egg from the house of the rebels(and everyone was to scared to notice her falling).

I also was able to accidentally learn the earth dragon style in a time skip in the earth pole(the mountain of Pasiap) with rolls that should not be possible (all dice showed max value) and got the first age medicine charm(gaian unity, that one that give you an extra element) as a wedding gift/curse from Ebon Dragon.
    So the Empress was pleased.

Right now Ebon curse is starting to take effect (8 months of pregnancy for my cute wood/earth DragonBlood) and the Scarlet Empress just disappeared.