New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Back to the beginning

Since the latest arc came to an end I have gone back and started reading the comic to pass the time till February 3, I am currently upto 872. Anyone else doing this? I cant be the only one??!?!?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Back to the beginning

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Since the latest arc came to an end I have gone back and started reading the comic to pass the time till February 3, I am currently upto 872. Anyone else doing this? I cant be the only one??!?!?
    1188 was posted shortly before Winter (in the northern hemisphere that is :p), and when I read Elan was going to recap the story and considering the Winter like theme that has been running, I thought it was an opportune time to re-read the story, imagining it was Elan telling the story up to this point.

Edit: Combine it with the Giant's announcement of the specific strip being the second to last before the break and the exact date of the follow up strip, it seemed like an interesting choice for me to do.
    Last edited by BaronOfHell; 2020-01-09 at 07:39 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I've been thinking about reading my paperbacks, starting from -1 and working my way up. It's a little tricky working out how to fit in the compilations, though (SSDT and Paladin's Scar), what with stories from different time periods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

I have re-read this comic so many times that I have lost count.

There was a time when every day before going to sleep I read some strips, and every time I come to end (it was near the end of Tarquin's saga) I started again.

Actually I often jump the first 100 strips, starting near to the first fight against Xykon or at the beginning of the second book.

The book I re-read more is surely Start of Darkness. I love every page on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    New suggestion: the MitD is an Italian Protean. Mamma mia!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Eyyy, I'm-a shiftin' da shapes and-a helping my amico Signore Stiffliano escape! Easyducio! Bada bing!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

I just finished the comic for about the 9th or 10th time
    now I am going to reread it again

6. - Top - End - #6
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

I've purchased all the books digitally on Gumroad (currently 50% off with coupon "washyourhands") and I'm going to re-read the series as they appeared in print, with bonus comic strips not on the website, minor fixes and alterations, author's commentary, etc.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    I've purchased all the books digitally on Gumroad (currently 50% off with coupon "washyourhands") and I'm going to re-read the series as they appeared in print, with bonus comic strips not on the website, minor fixes and alterations, author's commentary, etc.
    Yep. Did this myself.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Thanks to the sale (and being at home more thanks to various things being cancelled), I finally decided to purchase all of the e-books. Reading Start of Darkness right now for the first time :) (I know most of the spoilers for it, but still)
    "The genealogical trees at the end of the Red Book of Westmarch are a small book in themselves, and all but Hobbits would find them exceedingly dull." -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by nolongeralurker View Post
    Thanks to the sale (and being at home more thanks to various things being cancelled), I finally decided to purchase all of the e-books. Reading Start of Darkness right now for the first time :) (I know most of the spoilers for it, but still)
    When I first read I knew most of the spoilers, and I still loved it at first read.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    When I first read I knew most of the spoilers, and I still loved it at first read.
    I just finished reading it (it's almost 1:30 in the morning...). I really enjoyed it, although I would've been more gripped by/emotionally reactive to the story if I hadn't already mostly known how it would turn out (and I would've gotten to appreciate the clever plot twists now, instead of back when I first read spoilers for them). See kids, this is what happens when you recklessly read Start of Darkness' TV Tropes recap (as well as all the spoilered comments about it that you happen across on the Forum, though I don't really regret that as they were usually interesting analyses that I wouldn't be able to go back and find now) because you don't have the money to buy it with at the time and aren't sure you'll ever feel like buying any of the prequels anyway.

...There was one thing that got me, though, and left me feeling oddly (or not-so-oddly) touched:
    Spoiler: Start of Darkness (hey, first time I can say that, yay!!)
    Show
    the fact that Ridi got to become a wizard before he died. It was such a small detail that it never came up on the Recap page or anywhere else, but it meant a lot to me because I knew the whole time I was reading the story that he and Eri and their mom were going to die (you don't even need to read any spoilered stuff to know that, it's implicit by the very fact that people openly discuss Redcloak's niece and none of his other family members (and often mention explicitly that she's his only living relative)) and so his getting to have the profession he wanted before his inevitable early death was better than I was expecting, and the best I could have hoped for at that point. It also implies that Right-Eye had a change of heart and accepted what his son wanted to do, which contrasts nicely with how Eugene never does that for Roy (and, heck, how Horace never did that for Eugene). And that ties in nicely to how Right-Eye being able to experience character growth by admitting he was wrong in the past contrasts with Redcloak not doing so, as metaphored by aging and the lack thereof. And there's so much symbolism with Redcloak's name and wearing or taking off the mantle and how that symbolizes his loyalty to The Dark One and the Plan and keeps him from aging, and with the two brothers' personalities matching their aging. Oh and I also liked the part where Redcloak was actually about to abandon the Plan and stay, because I didn't know/forgot about that. ...Well, I just wrote way more than I meant to (what else is new)... so yeah, I enjoyed it I lot. And now I really should go to sleep, lol.
    ETA: Okay, I forgot to add, what if Redcloak takes off the cloak? Will he start aging again? Will Durkon or whoever be able to convince him to change the Plan, and will he take the cloak off to symbolize character growth? That's probably been discussed on here before... Oh, and finally, it must be kinda weird to try and find a blind date for an adult who's physically a teenager because of magical aging slowdown, because an actual teenager would be too young, but then you're left with finding an adult who will then look like they're dating a teenager, which is weird too.
    Last edited by nolongeralurker; 2020-03-16 at 01:54 AM.
    "The genealogical trees at the end of the Red Book of Westmarch are a small book in themselves, and all but Hobbits would find them exceedingly dull." -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

11. - Top - End - #11

Lizardfolk

I've been rereading it for nostalgia quite often.
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

I re-read all the books when I ordered my copy of Utterly Dwarfed.
    Last edited by Jay R; 2020-03-18 at 12:02 PM.