New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Chronicles of A Twisted Ascension IC

Remiel jumps up, grabs his backpack and follows Laura. "It's odd that this explosion didn't cause any more sensation - or any sensation at all".

At about the same moment as Laura, Remiel puts his head to the side and listens to the humming. But as fast as it appeared, it disappeared again. One eye contact and shoulder shrug later, they hear something again - screams.

He takes his stick firmly in his hand and asks Laura "shall we?

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

"Pretty sure we were meant to avoid neighbourhoods like this," Laura gestures at all the boarded painted windows. "Let's not hang around."

True to her words she walks quickly and purposefully, although careful not to outpace her companion.

Like Remiel she hears the buzzing overhead, but without being able to see the source there's no point focussing on something you can't interact with. So she keeps alert and moving. And then they come to the cart and the screams.

"Shall we?" Remiel asks but Laura is already sprinting towards the cries.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

This Lady it seems is not a friend of talking. So... let's go! he thought and followed her

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

@Laura & Remiel: Whatever caused that droning sound is gone. Not a concern right now.

Boarded up houses and streaks of red on them are, as the barbarian is quick to make her way through the alley while keeping an eye on the druid behind.

It is by the time you reach the end of the alley that you find a curious and unsettling sight.

The floor has been stained with blood. This one leaves traces on the ground and up the walls in several directions.

Leaning in a fetal position against the alley wall is a young lady. Dressed in simple garb, just as stained as the walls and floor around her.

The young lass has her eyes wide open with tears running down her cheeks and although both tower above her, shock seems to have taken over since she sobs, but does not react.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Laura clears the cart in a single bound, pulling up sharp with her axe hefted defensively between the young woman and the alley at large. She looks around quickly, trying to see where the blood leads to.

"What happened? Where are you injured?" she asks.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

@Laura: Moving the cart aside is an easy task.

The blood trails on the ground and walls up the buildings. With the rain pouring down relentlessly, it’s not possible to follow a concise track.

The young woman looks up at you and brushes away the tears as her eyes wander around the blood on the floor.

“They were taken... I never saw them. They just... they were taken!”

The woman feels around her body and shakes her head.

“No. Not hurt... not hurt.”

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

While Laura talks with the girl, Remiel is having her back, like before. He looks around and whispers “I know no animal capable doing this

The girl isn't injured. She has a shock, of course, but there's nothing Laura and himself can do for her now.

He looks in the sky, trying to make out the sun (for orientation) and thinks of the direction they should go. A farm is outside of the city. When he's imagine now a fictional map, where he entered The Mercy, the direction and distance he flew to meet Nana and Laura, again direction and distance they passed now, then he might get a hint of the direction in which they should continue walking. [OOC: into the direction the entrance is most far away].
    Spoiler: survival
    Show

Roll if needed: (1d20+20)[31]

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

@Remiel: Who knows what made this mess, but being part time animal yourself, you know of none that can wreak carnage this way.

Laura can tend to the woman if she wishes to. She claims she’s not hurt, just shocked. Nothing you can do in that department.

What you can do is try to orient yourself and find this farm. Nana did say it was a farm, after all. The issue here, as you look up at the skies and get your face soaked are the following:

1. It has been raining all morning and it doesn’t seem to go away any time soon. The thick clouds block out the sun. Well enough to prevent you from accurately pinpointing it.

2. A farm is indeed outside a city. Yet the Mercy is the City’s biggest urban district and a farm is in it. Explain that.

3. You did fly upon entering the Mercy, but after that, you have gone on foot, following Nana’s directions. Even with them, you git lost a few times, walking around in circles before finding the bridge.

4. Your survival instincts would be of much better use in a Natural environment. This place may be scorched and old and derelict, but it’s very much urban in scale and make.

And finally:

5. You have no map or guide for this goddamn district.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

"You cannot run from everything Drakan, eventually you must draw a line in the sand or be washed away with the waves. Living to fight another day when you have no chance of winning is a wise course of action only when it is an action able to be taken. Would you for instance run if a child were in danger?" the dwarf asks, trying to get a judge of the mans character.

"You are the second person to tell me that, but I don't understand exactly why. I know why on the other side of the wall, its simply against the law, however I didn't think anyone followed that law here, or well any law from what the stories say." Einkil asks generally curious as to why saying the "M" word was so bad. "As for the gnome, she looks like she has been alive as long as my mother if not longer, surely you jest." the dwarf says not being able to picture the old gnome he had seen being able to put up any kind of fight besides perhaps with a soup ladle.

"I wish you luck in your endevors then, and here, for the children." he says handing her a small bag of coins, though not opening the bag allowing her to use it as she saw fit.

Spoiler: Sack of gold
    Show

Contains 25gp

And with that he makes his way to the other side of the tunnel following the way he is told to the exit, and once more into the cold, damp rain.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

@Einkil: Drakan listens to your words and shrugs.

"I'm running if it means I'll live another day, dwarf. I'm no paladin or soul forger smith, chosen by some higher power. I'm a scoundrel. And you know what? So are those that I call my family. You have your creed, I have mine.

As for your example... haven't been in a situation like that yet. Will let you know when it happens.""

On the subject of Magic, Drakan shudders all over.

"It's not illegal here, Einkil. There are laws here. These change from gang to gang, so take them as laws as much as you will. But that word in particular, it makes people here angry.

Fifteen years of misery and hardship. People have bled, sweat and died in this place trying to make a living. As honest as they can. Then some idiot from Runestone comes over and waves his hand like a smug fool, mocking everyone's efforts and seeing it all as a laughable situation that can be fixed by snapping their fingers.

Then it's their necks that get snapped.

Don't get me wrong, I do not hate it, much less refuse it. I told you earlier that I know a man of your talents and whom I am well acquainted with. But it's just that cringe inducing 'I can fix it with my Magic... weeeeee!!!' That will get you punched in the face repeated times and left in a gutter. And that's if you're lucky. I know of mages that came here awhile back and boasted about magic this and spell books that and then splat went their heads.

There are many who practice what you do here. Not all are looking for The Mercy's best interest and they will use those abilities to submit those who don't have it. Now you're probably going to say:

"Then we stop them all and give magic a good name. The dwarf way, aye!"

Nah. People just don't like them. Mind you, a lot of people I know, know how to use it. It's just that they don't flaunt or talk all damn day about it."

On the subject of Nana, Drakan laughs.

"Ever since I moved here, Einkil. I have seen warlords come and go. Some are low life thugs who manage to cow a few kids to pick pockets- barely a threat.

Others were very real dangers to the entire Mercy. Enough to get factions to band together and yet... none of them has ever attempted to make a move on Nana. Who knows why, but that's a fact you can take to the bank."

Once in the Rooster's Tunnel home, you watch the many sick settled in dirty tents around you. The coughing is fierce. As a priest yourself and with some passing knowledge of medicine- since your devotion is to the forge more than the body- you can hazard a guess that unless they get some real professional treatment, many here may not even last the night.

Men and women can fend for themselves. They are grown and strong. They can fight it off... but children? Even dwarf infants must be sheltered from the weather back home. Cared for to grow up to become able soldiers for the kingdom.

And, so, you hand Commandant Daratra a pouch as she walks up to you and then looks at Drakan, who shrugs and shakes his head before turning her gaze upon you. Her scowl never once changing as she locks eyes with you for almost a minute. her hand goes up and down and a few times, before shaking and taking the pouch. The pain is palpable as she looks at one of the tents and listens to a child cry as his mother tries to hush him. Not in front of important people. It's rude and inappropriate.

"For the children, then. Drakan, where did you say you were headed?""

The rogue walks with you and shakes his head.

"I never said.""

The Commandant conceals the pouch and walks past both back deeper into the tunnel as her thugs walk you towards the exit.

"Of course you didn't. Thurbane, may Dalt grace you on your journey. Good bye."

The thugs won't leave the tunnel- why get wet again? But Drakan and you do, as your armor begins splattering rain water all over the place and your beard gets soggy while both of you trudge through the mud and your guide turns back to look at the tunnel.

"I don't know how much you gave her, but I have a good ear for coin in pouches. Daratra... she is a very proud woman. Too proud for her own good, I'd reckon. She would accept our help only when things were already looking bad and it was pretty obvious she was going to get her people killed. In the end, she never acknowledged it. Not to me, at least.""

Drakan cracks his neck and keeps walking.

"Not that it matters anyhow. We got through. And in one piece. So I'll chalk that up to good luck. Now we should make our way through a few more blocks and then towards the Vargas Farm. Been there once myself, but only in passing. Place is owned by some old soldier. Retired guard from back in the City. Oh, yeah...

A half orc. Just so you know in advance since I think dwarves don't get along with them? I mean, here in the City it doesn't matter, but you're more of a traditionalist, right? So fair warning before you get in his face and smack him with your hammer."

Both leave the river and bridge and walk through more drenched dirty alleys. The windows have been boarded up and some spot red streaks as Drakan urges you to remain as quiet as possible and to hustle moving through.

It's as you walk past one of the boarded windows that a low growl can be heard from within and the rogue's eyes widen, giving you a stern look as he points decidedly onward, with a general's conviction.

Once past the alley, Drakan leans down on the ground against a building and looks back at the alley, reaching for one of his daggers but not unsheathing it.

"I guess we can take a break for now. Long legs get tired for a longer time.""

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Laura relaxes a little as it's clear there's no immediate threat, and tries to comfort the girl.

"Who was taken?" she asks as sensitively as she can manage. "By what? Look, I don't think this neighborhood is safe. We'll protect you as best we can but we don't know what we're up against. Can you walk? I can carry you if you can't. Is there somewhere safe we can take you? We're trying to find the Vargas farm, but we can take a short detour to see you safe."

"My name's Laura by the way. And this is Remiel."
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2020-02-27 at 03:52 PM.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

The stench of death in this place is overwhelming. Not even the torrential downpour can quite block it out. Led by his nose to what could only be described as a pyre, Davish comes upon the remains of a large number of people. Impossible to say what or why or when, only that it happened. And directly in front of the pyre, what appears to be a burned out church. In his experience, the purging destruction of a fire's wrath leaves little in the way of clues, but any information is more than he has now. With a quick glance around for any surviving signs to provide context, Davish steps into the interior, there to see what may be seen.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

Search (1d20+2)[12]
    Spot (1d20+6)[8]

Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

While trying to orientate himself in this desolate area, Remiel had to realize that he had no idea where he was. This damned continuous rain and the resulting absence of the sun or the unrecognizable position of the sun drove him crazy!

He found his way in every forest - he could distinguish every tree by its bark. But the houses here all looked the same! How should one find one's way around here?

Because of the young woman, Remiel didn't want to turn into a bird, she was disturbed enough - and Laura didn't know about his abilities yet.

Then he heard Laura ask the girl if she knew the way to the farm! Hope germinated!

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

@Davish: Who knows what this building used to be for.

But you know a pyre all too well. Who knows how many were exhumed here or why, but it definitely doesn’t help the image this place already has beyond the wall.

The dead will remain that way. Who knows how long they have been charred. If this district is anything like what The Eyes claim, anything of value or importance has already been picked clean by the cutthroats that dwell here.

Best to check the actual church.

Or what remains of it. There are no walls left, only a charred skeleton of what used to be a house as you step on mud and crunch on old wooden boards before you cross a mock threshold.

Probably the main room before this place burnt down. Due to the rain, heavy as it is, you can’t see anyone around. Chances are they can’t see you either and again- who would want to hang around here?

It is then that you kneel down as your boot taps a hard surface and run your hand around the edges...

A trap door. Big enough for a grown man. Well concealed by the debris, mud and rain.

@Laura: No threats here. For now, this girl is safe. Shocked, sure. But safe.

The young woman listens to your words and looks at you and Remiel, far more concerned with finding a way back than anything, and she slowly gets back on her feet, wiping the tears iff her eyes.

“My friends. We were doing a scavenger run and then... they were gone. Too fast. Blood all over... sorry I can’t tell you more.”

The young miss’ eyes widen upon your words.

“You’ll protect me? Really? Miss, you are a godsend! And you say The Vargas Farm? Of course I know it! I can get you there. My home isn’t far and my family must be awfully worried by now.”

The girl bows as respectfully as she can to both you and Remiel.

“A pleasure to meet you and thank you again, Laura and Remiel.

I am Cordelia.”

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

"You know where the farm is? Ah, that's great," Laura smiles encouragingly.

"I'm sorry about your friends, Cordelia. I'm genuinely sorry we didn't arrive a little sooner. But we'll see you safely home and any directions to the farm would be much appreciated." Laura glances at Remiel for confirmation, but from what she's learned of him in the short time she's known him she doesn't think he'll object.

"We should get moving. I don't think we should linger here."

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

@Laura: Cordelia returns the smile as the rain washes over her face and she brushes her hair aside, looking up at you since you are obviously taller than her.

“I will mourn them properly when I get home to my family, Miss Laura. Had you not arrived in time, who knows if I’d be gone too...”

Cordelia looks at the blood stains on the ground and points further into The Mercy.

“The farm isn’t too far away. We’ll need to take a tunnel, but it’s safe. Safer than walking out in the open in this horrid rain. Shall we?”

@Laura & Remiel: The Trek is as sinuous as a snake, but young Cordelia clearly knows her way around The Mercy, stopping a few times for both to catch up while striking some conversation.

“So, ummm.... not my place to ask, but... are you two working for any of the groups here? Kurgen’s, The Roosters... Society?”
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2020-02-27 at 06:26 PM.

17. - Top - End - #167

DruidGuy

As expected, the fire has taken everything, although there appears to be one surprise left.

Having found a hidden door among the refuse, Davish takes a brief moment to clear the surrounding area clear of debris before trying to open the hatch. With a word spoken to bring his shield to bear, he tenses for any surprises, and hopes for the best.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

should there be no surprises, Davish will of course plunge into the opening, after attempting to camouflage the entrance while leaving it open...
    Show

I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

@Davish: The fire burned down everything here...

Well, almost everything. It would seem that there is a room beneath this place, untouched by the fire as you clear out the debris and and find that there used to be a place for a lock, but this one is missing, allowing for you to easily open the trap door with a creaky sound and making sure nobody's around, look below and take notice of a rung ladder leading down into the dark, with the exception of a very, very small light source at the bottom.

Bringing your shield by your side, you make sure once more that nobody's watching and begin the slow descent.

The rung ladder holds your weight... for about a few seconds.

You haven't even begun going down five feet when a few rungs break due to time and weight and you drop down ten feet as pieces of the rung ladder fall way too close to your face as you look up at the trap door. Still open, but the fall aches a bit.

Spoiler: Falling Down
    Show
    (1d6)[6](6) fall damage

It's not that bad, but using the rung ladder is not possible now as you take on your surroundings.

This is a cellar. Not very big and made of stone walls and a short ten foot ceiling. The room itself is very small too. A couple of shelves have been splintered and broken beyond repair, as perishables used for food lie rotten all around you on the floor.

A pair of shackles can be seen affixed to the far wall opposite you. These hang in silence as a single oil lamp rests on an old wooden desk with a couple of moths still flying around its flickering source. Of note, the walls have been scribbled with vertical lines. A sequence of four, crossed by a fifth. This pattern is repeated several times along the walls of the cellar as you approach the desk and find nothing of value except an old leather bound book covered in ashes.

19. - Top - End - #169

DruidGuy

Spoiler
    Show

tumble to negate falling damage

(1d20+17)[30]
    Show

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

No, we aren't associated with any of these groups. We're from the other side of the wall. Random strangers, searching for someone we lost.“
    Remiel answered in a more bothered and angry voice than he wanted to, but walking between houses, getting more lost than he still was, made him upset.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

Laura on the otherhand relaxes further as the probability of imminent hostility seems to recede. She takes the lead and sets a swift pace, though again being careful not to outpace and stock close to the others. The rain has long since plastered her hair to her face, but she isn't bothered. She still hasn't gotten over how free it feels not to have to worry about Connor's eyes in the sky and she's happy to chat.

"Yeah, that's right. We're not from The Mercy. I got a letter from my friend Clarity asking for my help and so here I am. I met Remiel on the way. He's looking for a powerful druid lady called Silvarel. Bit of a coincidence!" Laura chuckles.

"How about you Cordelia? Do you normally have to smuggle? Past whom? The gangs? It doesn't seem like there's much in the way of authority this side of the wall."

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

@Laura & Remiel: The bridge is nowhere near sight at this point.

Cordelia is a good guide- she takes you through a multitude of twisting alleys, but other than the occasional red streak on a door or window, you aren't being harassed by anyone before she answers your questions and squeezes the rain out of her hair.

"Clarity? I think I may have heard that name. She's like a warrior, I think? I am sorry- not much time to figure faces and names here. No idea on who this Silvarel is either, for that matter.

And you're not from The Mercy? That is a relief. I am doubly grateful. And no, Miss- I am not a smuggler. I was scavenging. Seems all the best things have been picked clean. As for gangs? No. My family keeps me safe. I have nothing to fear with them by my side."

Eventually, Cordelia stops at the entrance to a tunnel, covered by moss on its outer edges. Not unlike the one you saw at the bridge. Unlike that one, there are no rivers to bypass it as Cordelia rummages through her pack and takes out a simple torch, which she is quick to light up as she takes a few steps inside and turns around to look at both.

"The Vargas farm isn't far. I will get you there safe.""

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

That's too good to be true - something's wrong here“ Remiel thought and touched the moss on the wall. A well known feeling. Nature, life, security.

Trying to hide his bad feelings but sharpening his senses, he follows the ladies into the tunnels

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

@Remiel: Why look at a gift horse in the mouth?

So far, you traversing through The Mercy has gotten you lost, but with the exception of Laura's lust for other people's belongings, you are pretty much unscathed. Never mind not being attacked.

Who would? Laura's presence alone is enough to give any rag tag ruffian here pause... and that's before you decide to show them what you're capable of.

Still, something doesn't add up as you follow Cordelia into the tunnel and run your hand against the green moss growing on the outer brim of this place.

It's a light sting. Not enough to cause bodily harm. But something is... off. Can't quite put your finger on it.

@Laura & Remiel:
    The tunnel is long, but a direct path. Cordelia hums a light tune as she stops at intervals to grant you light from her waning torch and the sound of rain ceases altogether.

"I told you this was a better path than having to suffer through that horrid rain. We are very close now. Follow me.""

At long last you exit the tunnel with Cordelia putting out her torch and you take in your new surroundings:

This is still The Mercy? It's gigantic. The district is already big, but this section seems twice its size. Nature seems to have taken over this entire place, most likely adding to its sheer volume.

Even stranger than this place is the fact that it stopped raining, true... but it's twilight. You haven't walked that many hours in the District, especially since you left very early in the morning. A vague outline of a full moon can be seen from the purple and grey clouds above as Cordelia smiles and points deeper in.

"This way to the Vargas Farm. We are very close!"

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

"Wait, what's going on? How is this possible? One minute it was raining like pouring, and now? Now I can see the moon? What is this place?"

Visibly shocked and unable to sort out his emotions, Remiel becomes aware of his own inability to interact with other people. There is a reason he prefers the company of trees.

He certainly enjoys the sight of the moon. A familiar sight. He radiates peace. Remiel stops. He stops and looks at the moon. The first familiar sight today.

Shortly afterwards he walks on, after Laura, she, who manages with her ease to wipe away the dirt and light up the darkness. He follows her.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

"Ah, right. I'm sorry I misunderstood," Laura replies cheerily. "I guess most people here are salvagers of some kind?"

The subject of family goes unremarked. Coincidence?

"Yeah, Clarity can handle herself. I don't really know why she came out here, but she said she needs my help with something, so I'm here for her."

When they step out into the new neighborhood Laura pauses briefly to take it all in, amazed by the sights of the overgrown buildings.

"So the fields are vertical?" Laura guesses. "That's how there's enough space for a farm inside the city, right?"
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2020-02-29 at 11:55 AM.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Listening to Drakan's words the dwarf couldn't say he liked the answer the man had given him, however he was at least honest and up front about it which let the dwarf know where he stood. Another body in the way between him and whatever he was running from if it came to it, and the dwarf knew he wouldn't be able to keep up with the nimble rogue if it came to that.

On the subject of magic he could see where Drakan was coming from and it did make sense. No crafter would look at a piece made by magic and think it was progress or helpful, just that it had no soul in it. No love was put into creating it as if it were done by a persons own two hands. So why would people thinking magic could fix a place when the people themselves didn't seem to want to fix it. Magic was a tool, not a crutch to be leaned on for every situation and he could respect the people here for having that kind of point of view. "I believe I understand Drakan. It is like if I were to spend weeks at the forge crafting something with my own two hands vs someone who simply willed it into being." he says seeing if his guide agreed it was similar to that.

At the information that not a single soul has ever tried to make a move on Nana no matter how powerful the group the dwarf seems a bit surprised. Normally the only people who are left alone in war are the ones controlling who fights where, could this old women in fact be the criminal kingpin behind all the gangs? Pitting them against each other so that they are to busy fighting each other that they don't work together to try and make their homes a better place? Most people did seem to have a strange amount of respect for her and from what he had just heard there really wasn't a reason why. Something to keep an eye on for sure.

"Doing a good deed should not need to be thanked for, whatever it is you did I would advise letting it go if she is as you say. The more you try to push the issue the more annoyed and angry she will get, she knows what you did, and no doubt her people do as well. Leave it at that Drakan and I suspect you will sleep a lot easier. As for the bag, children should not have to suffer. They should see the life through mostly carefree eyes. Whatever I gave them it is to help make sure they have a life, grown adults can fend for ourselves. Children need our protection though." he says leaving it at that.

"I am going to anothers home uninvited looking for aid from people I do not know on the direction of a gnome I know nothing about in a land I know even less about. I know enough to not start a fight on someone else's property. Tradition covers many things, including how to treat someone in their own home. Could be a goblin's house, it is still their home and unless they threaten me or my kin where my life is in danger it is looked down upon to strike at them." he informs Drakan, hoping the rogue would understand that while out in the wilderness what he said could be true, in a persons home was another matter.

As the two walk down the dirty ally Einkil notes the many boarded up houses with red streaks on them. It is when he is about to ask what it all meant when Drakan urges him to be quite and follow. And so trusting the rogue to do what was best to keep himself alive he did the same, following the man in utter silence. It is not until they stop to take a break that he finally raises the question that had been burning in the back of his mind their very long walk, or so it seemed, through the ally. "Why were those houses boarded up? What do the red streaks mean? And what was that thing groaning, had you not stopped me I would have thought it was someone who needed help." he points out, clearly out of his element and needing at least a few answers if they were both going to travel in the Mercy and not get each other killed accidentally.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

@Laura: Talk about a change of scenery.

The smell this place radiates is odd. You have been to Glenndale- well of course you have. But, the scent here is weird. The fronds and moss and branches twist around in bizarre ways around the buildings like snakes about to constrict their prey. The fact that it's twilight here is indeed odd, but makes for a beautiful if eerie sight to behold as Cordelia turns around to look at both you and the druid, pointing towards what looks like it was an apartment complex with a large swimming pool. This one has been filled to the brim with putrid green water and floating patches of moss as she stops at its edge and your guide smiles wide, bowing to both you and Remiel.

"Salvagers? I suppose you could say that, Miss. Truth be told, it has been a long time since anyone came here. Of their own choice. My family will be overjoyed to have you here, make no mistake of that.""

@Remiel: Who has the power to alter the sky in this way?

Doesn't matter, as you follow both women deeper in this green urban jungle and immediately your extreme keen senses catch sound of things moving above you, on the massive twisted branches. You eyes as a man can barely make humanoid shapes. darting fast and silent above. But not only on the branches above, but also in the alleys next to the apartment complex Cordelia has led you to.

It is then that a sinister power takes over both you and the kordite. Something about this place. You felt it slightly at the entrance, but now it permeates around you and causes both to cough as Cordelia takes a few steps back and her smiles takes on a wicked semblance.

@Laura & Remiel:
    What is happening to you?

A surge unlike you never felt before has taken ahold of body and mind. Seeping in like a disease of sorts. One with potentially fatal results.

Spoiler: Arcane Pollution
    Show
    Both Remiel & Laura roll a Fortitude DC 17. Results to be revealed depending on your rolls.

It is then that Cordelia laughs and her body becomes engulfed in the shadows that embrace this urban thicket. When the shadows recede, assuming the form of ghostly bats that disappear into the twilight sky, you see a very different person than the one you found sobbing in the alley:

"I cannot believe you fell for this! All the better- since you were so eager to get to The Vargas farm, you would follow blindly anyone who'd offer help. I was scavenging back there, but for food. Too bad all those in The Mercy are tainted and dirty. Ruins the taste.

But you two? Fresh off clean Halmathan. Not a clue about your surroundings. You, Laura, with all those muscles. They love that part. Chewy but so nutritious. And here I thought we'd have to go deeper into gang territory. But what do you know:

You are not with any of them. Nobody knows you're here and so, nobody will come to your aid. Now, family, come get it!""

It is then that screeches and growls can be heard from the shadows as one , two...eight lanky looking figures leap from the trees and land about ten feet away from both, effectively creating a circle of sorts, with you at its center:

What in God's name are these things? Disgusting to the core. Salivating as they snap their jaws at thin air, licking their bloody lips. Eager for a taste as they sharpen their claws and sneer in your direction.

Spoiler: The Check
    Show
    Knowledge Nature (Trained) to ID them

Cordelia chuckles and keens her eyes at both of you.

"I did mention you'd meet my family. Here are some of my younger kin. Look at it this way:

You will have fed the pack for a few days. Making them stronger. Your travels here were not in vain after all. You served your purpose to the very end!""

Spoiler: Roll Initiative
    Show
    Cordelia (1d20+10)[28]

Uglies x8 (1d20+3)[15]

@Einkil: Run to live another day...

Sadly, this is pretty much what you expected from a rogue. Lanky and long limbed, this guy would outrun you easily. Most likely ill fitted for a fight. Then again, few rogues are. Being sneaky is their whole schtick.

And when Drakan explains his reason on why Magic here is not exactly cheered upon, you begin to understand a little better. Even going as far as using your own skills at the forge. A laborious task that takes days if not weeks... only for some guy to whisk the exact same item out of thin air, robbing you of your hard earned work.

"Yeah! Exactly! You are starting to get it. Again, I don't deny m...m... *sigh* ...magic- when it helps me, of course. But to those that do it, don't be some smug ass and think you saved everyone. Hell, i have seen mages running to us "normals" when the going got rough and none of their fancy tricks worked. Talk about getting not only a slice, but the entire humble pie.""

Then you listen to Drakan's passing take about Nana.

You met a woman that had the strength of ten able warriors. Lifted you up and smashed you against a column several times as if you were some bearded grumbling rag doll. It took a series of explosions to drop a building on her and put her out for good..

And she wouldn't go against Nana, old as Time itself and wrinkled beyond repair? You may be a dwarf with strong connections to the earth, but even you can smell this is beyond fishy.

Maybe she's a mastermind of sorts? A gang leader? Nay, a kingpin?! If so, maybe His Holiness walling them all up here wasn't such a bad idea, but time will tell. Nana isn't your objective now.

Once out of the Rooster Tunnel, Drakan looks at you as the rain keeps pelting both and you give your own piece of advice regarding Daratra and her behavior, causing the rogue to raise his hands.

"Whoa, there! I never said I wanted recognition. Look, I'm not exactly someone people ought to know about. The more unknown I am? The better. I did remark that she was too proud for her own good. Because of her inability to deal with this in the first place, before it got out of hand is what caused all this mess. That's what I think and I'm sticking to that. But yeah, that was a good move on your behalf. Helping those children? Who knows- The Roosters I knew were evil a**holes who wanted us all killed. I was told that under Daratra, they weren't always that way..and hopefully they remain that way.

Still, watch your back if you decide to stay here longer. Growing a conscience doesn't always mean that old habits will be washed away. Sure, they might not stick it to you. But fast hands abound here, so...""

On the matter of the Vargas Farm, your guide breathes a sigh of relief.

"Good! Last thing I need is some dwarf going all berserk because of some old book that says they're hated enemies. And although I doubt you'll find goblins here, I heard he's not the brute people make half orcs to be. The man is known around here as a seasoned and well read soldier. An old soldier, but one worthy of respect.

Maybe both of you can find common ground there, since he was militia...and so are you, right?"

It is when Drakan urges to to move quick and silently that you sit beside him as he rests his legs and pepper him with questions about what just happened back there and what it is you heard.

Drakan goes grim as he looks back at the alley you rushed from and cleans his dagger, although it was clean in the first place since he never unsheathed it.

"They are sick people, Einkil. The Mercy is filled with all manner of sicknesses, but that's the worse. There is no cure. The red streaks means sick are inside. or... infected, as some have gone to call them. And believe me dwarf:

Had you gone in there, it would be you who needed help. I thought the factions here were dealing with this spread, but each handles their own sick in their own way. I am not putting my neck out for those inside. Neither should you, since if they see you, it's your neck they'll go for. Hopefully those boarded windows keep them locked up. For now.""

Drakan gets up and stretches his limbs.

"The Vargas Farm is a few blocks away. We aren't far. I hope your friends found their way there before us. They did have a head start, after all."

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

"The entire time I was on the other side of the wall two things were always told to us, cutthroats and thieves, and since I arrived well everyone reminds me on this side that everyone here either wants to kill you or take your money. I doubt I will forget it anytime soon." the dwarf says with a knowing look. "Good thing a contract is a contract, or else I would have to worry about my few coins I have left going missing." he says half jokingly to Drakan, as they both knew Drakan could easily escape the dwarf who had no idea where he was. The trick was however that then he would be alone just like Einkil in a territory not his own.

"Anyone who has lived a life of war and lived long enough to become old is worth listening to, even an enemy given the right circumstances. After all they didn't live to the age they are for no reason." the dwarf says agreeing that anyone that old had to be wise and learned to some extent, even if it was only in a very select scope of topics. "I was more research and development then field combat if that's what you are asking. However I was trained as all dwarven children when they come of age on the topics of war and how to fight. And unlike most soldiers I know my gear better then anyone else. They are extensions of my being unlike someone who simply buys and picks up a weapon. I crafted each piece and know their weights, measurements, and abilities as if they were my own." he explains to Drakan.

Hearing about this so called sickness and that it had no cure was odd to the dwarf, he was no healer by any means however from what he understood their was a cure for everything if you had the right herbs and such. "If they are sick, or infected why are the windows boarded up? Is it a fever that makes them delirious and attack anyone they see?" he asks, hoping to better understand what to look out for. "And are their any signs to tell if a person is sick if they were not in one of these homes for instance?" he asks, after all if the Mercy was as big as people say it would be hard to keep track of everyone that got sick. Someone would eventually get out, or worse break out.

"Head start, longer legs, and didn't have to meet Commandant Daratra and her men." the dwarf corrects, but agrees those he was told to find should be there well before him given all the setbacks he had on his way.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

@Laura: Whatever this is, it's affecting your entire body as this one becomes rigid and sluggish!

Cordelia tilts her head sideways and crosses her arms as the beasts snarl several feet away from you, drawing ever close.

"Interesting. For all those muscles, I would have thought you'd be able to shrug it off better than Remiel. I guess I was mistaken. Doesn't matter though-

Even a stiff like you ought to make a good meal.""

Spoiler: Arcane Pollution, continued
    Show
    Laura is under the effect of a Slow spell. A reminder of the effects so you can list them under the conditions section on your sheet.

A slowed creature can take only a single move action or standard action each turn, but not both (nor may it take full-round actions). Additionally, it takes a -1 penalty on attack rolls, AC, and Reflex saves. A slowed creature moves at half its normal speed (round down to the next 5-foot increment), which affects the creature’s jumping distance as normal for decreased speed.

Effect lasts for an extended period of time or until somehow removed.

@Remiel: Cordelia watches Laura's body become a lot less nimble. almost as if she were glued to the very ground and then raises an eyebrow at you as the beasts snarl and snap their jaws at both you and the kordite.

"You like this one, don't you? She has a rather fetching face. I might have to keep it as a memento, assuming they don't chew it off first....""

Laura may have been affected by this, but not you. Your monastic training and plethora of trinkets have made sure of that. But what exactly are those things with Cordelia?

And then your druidic knowledge kicks in and grip on your quarterstaff.

These things... they were once people. Like Laura and yourself. However, they have become feral. This is a very rare phenomenon that never occurs in an urban area, much less to a human being.

In the most remote wild lands, some animals will become tougher and stronger. More vicious than their kin. This is a response to their environment, normally. Other times, such change is attributed to another more obscure source.

Regardless, a feral creature is considered an apex predator among its kind. Strong and wildly ferocious, they are rare in the extreme and none have ever been documented here. Reason why not much more information can be gleaned from them other than this, except for the fact that no man has ever been recorded to have become one.

Round 1

@Laura & Remiel: Cordelia snaps her right hand and a small black wand slides into her palm as black feathers surround her and she begins levitating ten feet off the ground, effectively gaining flight as she looks down at both.

"Tear them apart....""

And then she seemingly vanishes amidst the twilight urban forest.

Spoiler: Hide in Twilight, checks required
    Show
    Hide (1d20+23)[26]

Move Silently (1d20+23)[26]

... but leave the best portions unspoiled.

The feral creatures roar and claw at the ground, while others stamp their feet, eager to get the jump on both of you and feed at their heart's content.

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    Cordelia
    Remiel *
    The Pack x8
    Laura

*When your name is bolded, that means it is your turn.