Show

grapple

(1d20+7)[22]

init

(1d20+5)[20]

Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Chronicles of A Twisted Ascension IC

@Davish: Where is this woman getting this strength?

Try as you might. For all your strength and training. You might as well be trying to alter the tides with both hands tied behind your back. An impossible endeavor.

Kara remains silent and watches you struggle, tilting her head sideways.

Round 1

"Perhaps you need an incentive, Davish Battleborn...""

Kara grips you tighter by the neck, nearly crushing your windpipe and runs at incredible speeds through an old building, using you as a battering ram. The concrete and rebar give way as your body is put to the test and against a massive load bearing column, Kara embeds your entire frame, causing debris to fall around and copious amounts of dust to fall on your head.

"Last chance, Davish. I do not wish to end you, but your focus is misguided. Relieve yourself of such burden and live to see another day."

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    Kara
    Davish

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

There were no objections in principle: Looking out to sea was one of Nuramon's favorite pastimes. Sitting there and watching the waves, doing nothing, switching off - he could enjoy this.
    But he hated to wait. Waiting and then not even knowing what for. Julius, the old sourpuss, was once again short-tempered.

"Sit by the fourth bench closest to the Lighthouse and wait"

Nuramon preferred the sixth bank, which was in the shade for a longer time and you could see the incoming ships a little earlier.

He did as he was told. And now he was sitting here, looking out at the sea and could not let his mind go. Unusual, unpleasant.

But suddenly a seagull landed beside him
    "Greetings, Seagull! Where are you going? Sorry I didn't bring you any bread.
    Oh, another one? Three, four... what?
    "

And then SHE sat there. He had heard many stories about her, a few paintings with her, he had seen (which is why he recognized her now), but never before face to face.

When she was not yet considered to be gone and he visited the lighthouse again, she was always too busy to receive him, or even on the road herself.

And now she was sitting next to him. It had to be her. Her typical appearance, these clothes, the single sandal - it had to be her.

And just to be sure, he was about to ask if it was her, with all her titles, when she interrupted him and asked him to let that be exactly that.

"How things are doing, you ask?"
    His eyes and ears were everywhere. He knew that direct criticism of him was a death sentence. And he didn't want to endanger them with his statements.
    "Well, it's raining," he pretended it was bothering him. "The big dark clouds there, annoying". He didn't mean the clouds...
    "When you abandon a house, it doesn't take long for the cockroaches to move in." He didn't mean real cockroaches either.

He was a little hesitant. "What do you want from me?" Such a salutation to her? That's just not done. Disrespecting her like that. Yet it was part of the disguise. He hoped she could forgive him.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

As the manbat flies away Einkil grins, he had been worried for a few seconds, however with his god by his side he knew he could not fail. "Thank you Moradin for helping me your faithful servant drive back the servants of chaos and evil. Now please let your weapon guard my back as I prepare to close part of this portal."

With the immediate threat gone, Einkil looks to Graund. "Thank you friend for your aid, for a second there I was starting to get worried." the dwarf says before intoning a soft prayer and channeling one of his lesser spells into one of a more curative nature.

Spoiler: Cure Light wounds
    Show

Turning Ebon eyes into Cure Light wounds (1d8+5)[7] hp gained. Not much but I'm being cautious at the moment still.

New total 94/125hp
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2020-03-07 at 10:35 AM.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

Davish is wholly unaccustomed to being manhandled in such a thorough manner, and it takes the pounding of several retaining walls, and a beam or two to get past his initial shock at it. Amidst the blizzard of dust and dirt swirling through the air, a decision is made. When the charge is finally done, and Kara has spoken, Davish taps his foot upon the ground and instantly appears 10 ft away. He makes no move to draw Nirvana, even though it would spring to his hand with but a thought to do so. Instead, he holds his hand up instead.

Peace Kara, a moment to catch my breath please. The first thing I took was knowledge of this symbol, which was drawn repeatedly upon the walls. At this, Davish bends down and places his fingers upon the newly fallen dust and drags out 4 marks, crossed by a fifth.

The second, a diary of sorts, and a confession. yet it is addressed to whomever should find it, and therefor was not stealing nor pilfering, for I am not a thief. I believe it was the author's intent for it to be taken, and perhaps for a series of wrongs to be set aright. Without knowing your intent, I couldn't in good conscious just hand it over. If you are determined to take it by force, as you have shown, I must be equally determined to stop you. It may be the death of me, but a Man has his Duty. I see no problem sharing this information with you, but the book must remain with me for the time being, now, what say you?
    Show

I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

Laura tries to master her confusion as she steps out onto the vine choked roof hundreds of feet in the air! How long have I been climbing?! A moment of distraction is all it takes for disaster to befall, as a swarm of magical bats descend on her as if from nowhere, stripping away the magic freedom given by Remiel at so high a price. Laughter soon follows, and this can only mean discovery.

Desperately Laura paces the roof looking for an escape. The nearby roofs offer no cover... There! Windows on a lower level! But just as she steels herself for the leap the building shakes with an almighty crash signalling the arrival of an enormous monster! She raises her axe defensively and grits her teeth.

"Don't be too hard on Cordelia," Laura grinds out, only barely suppressing the rage burns within her even more brightly at getting caught so easily. "It was a good ambush and she tried her best. Or you know, eat her for her failure. I'd be cool with that."

This is basically an impossible situation. Could she jump to another building? Yes, absolutely. But she'd almost certainly be followed by a spell she couldn't dodge. Laura fully believes that if she tries to escape she'll be eaten. And there's no possible way she can win a fight against two opponents this strong.

"I'd rather live to fight another day! I'm at the end of my strength and can hardly stand against you both. But I can't get away either." She sighs, glancing down to the street hundreds of feet below. A couple of pebbles dislodged by her footing tumble into the void. Better to die than be killed? She contemplates throwing herself off just to spite her tormentors, but the rage in her rebels. Her grip on her axe tightens and she settles into a combat stance.

"So I have no choice! If you want a proper fight you'll just have to let me live!"

Springing forward Laura crosses the distance to Raum in a moment, her guard completely open as she focuses entirely on putting maximum power behind her swings.

Spoiler
    Show

Heedless charge + Pounce
    Attack (1d20+25)[37] BaB +11, STR +10, Enhancement +3, -1 NL, +2 Charge
    Damage: (1d12+40)[44] STR +15, Power Attack +22, Enhancement +3

Attack (1d20+20)[36] BaB +6, STR +10, Enhancement +3, -1 NL, +2 Charge
    Damage: (1d12+40)[43] STR +15, Power Attack +22, Enhancement +3

Attack (1d20+15)[29] BaB +1, STR +10, Enhancement +3, -1 NL, +2 Charge
    Damage: (1d12+40)[41] STR +15, Power Attack +22, Enhancement +3

AC penalty-11

Her best effort completed, Laura stands defiantly to await her fate. There's no point defending. If Raum decides he wants her dead then that's it.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

@Einkil: Finally, it is gone...

As long as you faith never wavers, you should have nothing to fear. The creature left you a few wounds, but nothing really to be concerned about- he looked a lot more shaken than you, hence his retreat.

Still, best to patch yourself a bit should it be foolish enough to return. But where is that kordite?

@Laura: Where did those bats come from?

And how did you get to the rooftop so fast? have you been running wildly in the dark to miss so many beats? No matter, a well placed jump will get you to the next building. You have made leaps like this before, it shouldn't be too...

difficult?

And then that gigantic monster, Räum, lands on the rooftop with you. An imposing and terrifying beast, it speaks rather well in the language of Men, although who knows how many it had to eat to learn it, given what he's saying.

Can an enemy like this even be killed? Only one way to find out as Cordelia makes her appearance and you invite the idea of having her eaten for failing to catch you, just like she did with noble Remiel.

Cordelia is taken aback and you can see her eyes widen with rage ...and no small amount of fear.

"How dare you! Insolent brat! You have ran through our home long enough. Be thankful Lord Räum is such a...hehehhehehehee ... forgiving soul!""

Well, this is it. You could jump off the building's edge. Crash your body below and deny these monsters their hunt. You could lay down your axe and kneel, accepting your fate to be devoured by this beast...

But as Räum watches you below him, you grip the axe with both hands and feel Kord's Wrath course through your veins. A stampede with a destructive force that may very well rival this creature's arrival to the scene as Cordelia watches with shock, grateful to be aloft and Räum keeps his defenses lowered as his eyes keen on you.

Why isn't he protecting himself? Even you know it is unwise to face a challenger with your strength like this. It's like he's actually begging for you to rush him.

No. Not begging...

Baiting.

This thing is big. Bigger than you. Too late to process the intricacies of combat as Räum's claw comes at you lightning fast and impales you, before smacking you on the ground face down and lifting you up, all in the blink of an eye.

Spoiler: Räum's Gambit AoO
    Show
    (1d20+24)[44] if hit, Laura takes (1d8+12)[19] and if also grapple check (1d20+28)[46]

Critical damage, since the attack confirmed: 31 damage to Laura

The strength this monster has is unlike any you have ever seen! Maybe he even surpasses Bhagazzin on that regard alone as your entire body feels crushed and defeated as Cordelia casually hovers close to you and Räum breathes a gout of hot air from his nostrils straight to your face.

"Humans are just that, Cordelia. Weak and predictable. She actually thought I would give her a fair fight? Hahahahahahahaa!""

Strength waning. Surge of adrenaline quickly fading away... you lift your gaze and look at Räum directly in the eyes while Cordelia flies next to you and points her gloved finger in your direction, an ember orb beginning to take shape.

"Well, Laura, it's been a blast. Be sure to let Remiel know in the after life that he tasted... mildly well. Three out of five stars. Would recommend.""

Räum begins to laugh as the ember increases in size, with Cordelia clearly taking as much joy in this as the monster and that's when a voice can be heard close by amidst the twilight. One you haven't heard in a while:

You guys ought to know better about us- we are anything BUT weak and predictable.

And since you asked for someone to hit you, who am I to refuse?

Räum's eyes widen in pain as a golden glow, not unlike Dawn itself encompasses the rooftop, causing Cordelia to avert her eyes before a torrent of blood gushes forth, but not from you, but Räum.

Someone cut him from the abdomen all the way to his clavicle, a deep gash imbued with sunlight itself as the vague shape of a warrior can be seen behind the strike, as a bigger shape with wings bashes Räum squarely in the chest, causing the beast to lose his balance and roar in pain and anger as his grip on you loosens and you drop on the floor, covered in blood from head to toe before watching Räum loses his balance and swats Cordelia as she spirals towards the streets below, cursing at you and their attacker before her explosion goes off on her and Räum rather than you as both collapse and crash and are seen no more.

It is only as the light dissipates and the warrior lands on the rooftop beside you that you get a better look at your savior:

"Are you happy to see me... or are you happy to see me? Laura...""

Clarity made it! She doesn't look well. battered, but not as much as you. Her loyal mount Larry seems dizzy after that attack while the holy warrior of Kord dismounts and kneels before you, caressing your bloodied face.

"Let's try not to meet in man eating caves next time, how's that? Here, I think you need this more than I."

It's a warm soothing touch that brings you back to somewhat of a fighting condition and although not fully patched, at least you aren't as battered as before.

Spoiler: Lay on Hands
    Show
    10 HP healed

Clarity brushes your hair and helps you back on your feet and looks around the place you both are and gives you a wink and a smile.

"Well, how's life treating you? I'm just, you know... surviving.""

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

In the brief moment before Raum plucks her out of the air Laura realises she should have known. Her face slams into the roof as the breath is driven from her, every bone screaming in agony. She could just give in; succumb to the inevitable. Yet some inner strength is not yet exhausted! Willing her protesting lungs to drag in one more breath even as Raum drags her upright for the finishing blow. Somehow she's managed to keep hold of her axe, but she has no leverage.

No! I will not die! I will not die!!

She beats a free arm against Raum's immobile wall of muscle. She becomes aware of the glowing orb forming at the end of Cordelia's glove.

"Well, Laura, it's been a blast. Be sure to let Remiel know in the after life that he tasted... mildly well. Three out of five stars. Would recommend."

Laura kicks weakly. It has no effect. "S... Screw... You!" she chokes.

You guys ought to know better about us- we are anything BUT weak and predictable. And since you asked for someone to hit you, who am I to refuse?

The voice of an angel! The ground rises up to meet her. Raum must have lost his grip. Painfully Laura levers herself back to her knees, to the most fantastic view in The Mercy.

"Are you happy to see me... or are you happy to see me? Laura..."

Laura smiles up at her saviour. "You are the most beautiful sight I've ever seen," she says sincerely, shivering as Clarity touches her face and her wounds close. Laura leans into Clarity's hand briefly as she brushes her hair out of her face. She lets herself be helped to her feet, but even so she can barely stand.

"Hey bud," she greets Larry, patting him half affectionately and half-deliriously.

"Well, how's life treating you? I'm just, you know... surviving."

This makes Laura laugh. She looks down at her battered body, and then at Clarity's. Wonderful Clarity, whom she'd come all this way to find. Who'd found her. The spark of her rage gutters and dies. Everything goes fuzzy as she collapses into Clarity's arms.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

@Nuramon: Of all the people you would meet here, Lady Ravenna would certainly be the very last.

The Sandaled Walker of Fharlanghn is, among the Grand Eight Leaders of Halmathan the one people know the least about. Even among the other Church leaders, she is somewhat of a mystery. Practicing the tenets of her god, Ravenna is the least likely to be found in her temple... or even in Halmathan as a whole.

Ravenna, like any faithful of the Walker in the Horizon, travels. And she travels often. Where she goes? Nobody knows. What is known is that she always returns to the Light House. Or at least did... until a year ago.

Who knows what bad blood resulted between her and Connor, but Lady Ravenna simply ceased to be seen in the City altogether. And yet, here she is, seated right next to you as she takes in the port air and looks at the Light House several feet away.

"A building does not a Home make. And yes, the rain is some many degrees of awful, isn't it? It's those thick grey clouds- won't let the sun shine through. Not for awhile, at least.""

Ravenna takes out a soggy piece of bread and tears it apart, tossing it to the gulls nearby who greedily eat it up.

"Halmathan's Rightful ruler must be brought back. Were this not to happen, the balance that holds this dear City and possibly more will be spun into ruin. Puppets and puppeteers, all of them. They each believe to pull the strings.

A mind who showed promise now promises naught but Despair and Loss...""

Ravenna goes quiet for a few seconds while the gulls finish eating the bread crumbs and pats your hand.

"The lighthouse is empty, but we are all its beacons. And we must shed light to things covered for way too long, in paths were others fear to tread. I have a request for you, Nuramon:

Find the old scribe from the days when the written word in Halmathan held weight. A man by the name of Corwin Knell. He now resides with the Mask of Light & Shadow in the forgotten Mercy. Find this man and we might still have a chance to save not only this land, but others beyond.""

Ravenna remains quiet for almost a minute as the gulls finish eating the soggy bread and all of them squawk and take flight as a large wave not too far from you washes above a bunch of burly sailors, sending their crates overboard as the men blame each other and haul ropes to bring the cargo back onto the pier, causing The Sandaled Walker to get up from the bench.

"It would appear my time here is up. I wish you safe and bountiful travels, boy. And one final piece of advice:

Fear the False Queen and Pity the Foolish Zealot.""

Having said that, Ravenna walks into the heavy crowd in the pier and disappears amongst them.

@Davish: The hell?

Where is Kara drawing strength from? You would need at least three different items upon you to accomplish such a feat. She carries nothing but rags. But if she believes she's got ahold of you, she is mistaken.

Kara looks at the column with a semi perfect indentation of your body and merely turns her head slightly behind as you disappear from her grasp in blue arcane flames, asking for a breather as you explain to her the symbols you found in the cellar, drawing them upon the ground.

"Those are days, Davish. Typically marks left by prisoners to count their sentence. Days, months...years. You found a diary and a confession... that is all?""

Kara goes silent for a few seconds and lowers her hood before she raises her head again and takes a step closer towards you.

"You cannot stop me, Davish. Nothing you can muster can, you pathetic little...""

Kara holds her face and she seems to struggle before she takes a knee and points towards an alley and people, shuddering all over.

"Run, Battleborn... run as fast as you can!""

@Laura: Well, it was a good run...

Bastard tricked you into charging him, but he's not as strong, despite holding you up like a rag doll in his hand. Were you in better shape... had you others for back up.

And it is then that in a golden flash, your prayers are answered as Räum is cut by an unseen force and topples off the building to his death, dragging Cordelia with him as you collapse on the rooftop and barely manage to see your savior.

Clarity Clemens. A more accurate depiction of an Angel could not exist as she fixes your hair and bestows a sliver of her power into healing your wounds. Larry shakes his head after being dizzy from ramming into Räum and bows respectfully to you before Claritry;s face is the last thing you see and can hear:

My sleeping beauty. Larry, I believe it's time we...

What follows as you open your eyes is exactly what you deserve after so many hardships.

Bereft from your trappings, you wear a beautiful long white tunic, as does Clarity, while both ride Larry, adorned with a golden wreath as you fly over beautiful red, purple and white hills, as patches of untamed woodlands greet you below and the sun slowly set in the horizon.

A multitude of fireflies rise to the occasion and burst in all manner of awe inspiring colors around the three of you, granting gthis one moment the beauty and reverence it so much deserves.

Chirping birds sing in unison and escort all three as Larry sings along with them and Clarity nods as you partake in a dance with them, traveling along the clouds as light as a feather. All the while Clarity laughs, you laugh. Everyone's laughing.

Everything's fine with the world.

@Einkil: Pacing back and forth, you might as well end up digging a tunnel back home with your boots.

It is then that your dwarven eyes, far better adjusted to the dark, catch sight of...Clarity?

Not only her, but the the twilight skies of this place light up as a multitude of fireballs go off around the kordite, who struggles to maintain altitude with Larry as a bunch of grotesque looking creatures- gangly in appearance, latch on to the hippogriff and this one has to bash into buildings to shake them off.

A few wrestle on top of Larry and try to take someone Clarity has brought with her- looks like some bloody body bag, but Clarity isn't about to give up before she punches one and elbows the other, causing the beasts to fall of her mount.

Beyond the tunnel, you can see dozens if not hundreds of more of those gangly creatures coming out of the old buildings and leaping from one to the other, trying to jump onto Larry, who looks far more beaten than when you first met him at the farm house.

But none of those are the worst, as a gigantic man bat crushes a building with ease and uses a few others as a spring board while it flaps his wings to gain altitude and catch on to the Kordite, causing Larry to flap his wings harder as Clarity points at the tunnel and catches sight of you, while holding the body bag with her other hand.

"Einkil! Shu..... goddammit! GET OFF!""

It's one of the gangly creatures that jumps onto Clarity and with a head butt the kordite sends the creature screaming down towards the streets, trampled by his hungry brethren, who care only about getting them.

Larry screeches loudly and dive bombs towards the tunnel as Clarity, the body bag and the feathered beast dash past you and the Kordite aims at the tunnel, where you can see the horse of creatures and the very big one roaring and flying, leaping and running towards you.

"Shut it! Shut the damn hole!!!"

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

The first few minutes after the bat had left him alone were not to bad, it allowed Einkil time to study the tunnel and look for the weak points that were load bearing. He used this time to shape the stonework and weaken a section of the wall to collapse if to much force hit it. This way if his own stone wall failed to stop what was coming through the tunnel collapsing in part should.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Basically taking 20 as he has all the time in the world and search with his stonecunning to find the weakpoint/load bearing part of the tunnel and using stone shape to weaken it just enough that if some kind of force hits the walls it will shake out the small amount still holding it together causing a domino effect. Doubt it will collapse the whole tunnel, but it should buy time after they breach through/during them breaking through the wall of stone he is going to set up to block the exit.

Basically if a creature tries to break the wall of stone its going to hit it with a lot of force, that force causes vibrations which knock the one piece holding the tunnel opening up or something similar which causes it to collapse partially. Not a perfect plan but its what he has on short term notice.

The next five however were very tense as more then once he thought about just walling up the place and leaving. Surely it would not take this long to fly around looking for someone. However as it approaches the ten minute mark Einkil is greeted with an amazing sight, Clarity was finally on her way back. Everything however changed the moment he saw all the friends she was bringing with her. "What the bloody hell does she think she's doing?" the dwarf says as he stands at the ready to create the wall and stop the hoard from passing once she flies past. That's when he sees another one of those bat's, just larger and gulps. "**** looks like the little guy had friends." Einkil swears as he waits for a split second before Clarity is about to pass through the opening of the tunnel as he begins intoning the spell. The moment she passes through the tunnel a wall of pure stone is rising up out of the ground and sealing off the hoard of monsters from them. However this does not stop the dwarf as he begins running, "Get moving Clarity, let's just say while you were making friends I was busy rigging the place to fall down if they try and break through the wall." he says moving as fast as his dwarven legs will carry him.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Using Wall of stone, and assuming it is a 20ft wide opening 10ft high. If so he can make it an 8 inch thick wall of stone blocking the entrance to the tunnel and the hoard from getting to them.

11. - Top - End - #251

DruidGuy

A whirlwind of emotions crosses his face in the brief moment it takes to decide. Anguish, determination, willfulness, and resignation. This woman is far more then she seems, and for now at least appears to be out of his league to deal with. She also seems to be quite unstable, yet another bad sign. With the barest of pauses, Davish turns away and sprints down a cross street, away from this place.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Okay, um... Nuramon should find someone. Corwin Knell. Never heard that name before.

Just as he's getting the right words to ask his questions, she gets up and leaves. And leaves him here, literally, in the rain.
    Why no one could ever get straight with him... Always secrets!

For a while he remained seated, this time he could enjoy the sight of the waves and put his thoughts in order. Maybe Julius could help him.

Nuramon didn't know the age of him, but he estimated that Julius must have been about six decades old. In this time one sees and hears a lot.

So he left. He headed back to Julius' hut.
    Even though he was allowed to call it his home, he always knocked before entering.
    He wanted to ask Julius if he could tell him anything about Corwin Knell, about The Mercy in general and if he even had a map.
    *Knock Knock* “Jul, are you there?“

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

@Davish: Who is this person?

Stronger than any warrior you have met on the other side of the wall. Crazier than any loon you have apprehended, Kara's strength is not one you can rival at this moment. Whatever is going on with her, is something that may warrant further investigation... should you choose to do so.

Right now, you need to get as far away from her as possible. And so you do. Not turning back to look at this most unusual hobo as you trip through the debris and nearly slip on the muddy alley before stumbling out to a main street.

There are people here. All dressed in rags and tattered clothes. A few wear leather armor, but conceal it somewhat well beneath dirty cloaks as a few eye you with suspicion, caution... but none approach you.

What seems to draw most of this haggard looking clientele is a single squat house stuck between a pair of buildings which draws their attention. An inn, given the sounds of drunken merriment from within. A single badly painted sign dangles from a pair of rusted hooks outside the facade, swung by the winds:

The Bitter Coffee

@Einkil: Although you'd rather not be here, especially after that fight, the few minutes of relative peace has given you a chance to plan better.

Although it is a sturdy tunnel, it's old. You can use that to your advantage and block these things from coming out to attack your or anyone in the Mercy. Should work... but why is Clarity taking so long?

It's the burst of shiny explosions beyond the tunnel and the sound of beasts screeching and roaring as you catch sight of Clarity and Larry avoiding all manner of monsters. One in particular looks like the one that jumped you, albeit much, much bigger.

Definitely not fighting these things en masse. That would be suicidal. And as Clarity dashes past you, a few of these beastly looking creatures begin leaping at you and immediately the power of Moradin comes to play as , stone rises at incredible speed from the ground and create a sturdy wall of unbreakable stone.

It may not be as thick as a wall built by an entire crew of dwarven masons over time, but damn if it works, as you hear several splat sounds from the other side, followed by a loud roar as the wall you just built shudders and the screeches continue.

No time to waste, as your short stubby legs carry you as fast as you can towards the tunnel's exit, where the rain never ceases to fall as Clarity lands several feet away and beckons you with her hand.

"Hurry, Einkil! HURRY!""

It's a mighty roar from the end of the tunnel you walled up as that gigantic bat brute slices a large chip off your wall and you can see his nasty face from the other end.

"You are not getting.... huh?""

Dumb brute set his own grave, as the entire tunnel suffers the creature's repercussions and you have to leap like an elven acrobat as the tunnel collapses and you roll like an armored badger on the mud as heavy chunks of stone cover the tunnel entirely and the beasts can be heard no more.

Larry lands and props himself on the ground, utterly exhausted. Clarity grunts as she hauls the body on her mount and carries her a block away towards an old building and lays her on the dirty floor.

"That should keep them from coming out...at least for a time. You have done well, Einkil. You have my thanks... but you seem hurt yourself. Were you attacked as well?

This is Laura Wildstar, the warrior I spoke of and a very close friend of mine. If I told you she's a mighty warrior you might be hard pressed to believe me, given her state. But do so- she faced things in there no one should...and is still alive.""

Clarity kneels beside this Laura woman and you take a look at her.

Hard to say if she's even breathing. the way Clarity waved her around while escaping indicated she would be dead. At least several bones broken. You may work the forge, but you have learned how to treat wounds for the dwarven militia, as you get close and try to feel any breathing from her while Clarity looks on.

"I patched her up once I found her, but I am not a priestess of Kord or any god here for that matter. She is alive, I can assure you. Laura doesn't give up."

Clarity may be tough, but a priest she is not and you are. The final verdict falls upon you as you get close to look at the knots in her eyes and battered and broken body... how to break the news to Clarity that she dragged a corpse all the way here?

And then Laura coughs and spits a mouthful of blood across you face before breathing very slowly, something that causes Clarity to smile.

"See? Even at the brink, she's a fighter. Please, Einkil, I need Laura back with us at full strength. Can you do that?""

14. - Top - End - #254

DruidGuy

Without a glance backwards, Davish flees from Kara, who appears to be losing a battle with herself somehow...

Finally, some kind of sign of actual civilization is found after running out into a square of some kind. Actual commerce might exist for there before him is what looks and sounds like an inn. Something he can well appreciate and recognize. With a quick pause to straighten up, for as his Da says, first impressions count, Davish strides boldy across the square and through the door of The Bitter Coffee.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

@Nuramon: Well, that's a mouthful.

Lady Ravenna was known as an oracle. a very strange oracle in that even mighty mystics and wise sages had trouble deciphering what she meant. In time, rumor spread that she was crazy. Not something you say to a Church leader's face, of course. But that doesn't stop rumors from spreading just like that.

Can you make out what she said? Barely. A name for one. And a destination, but little else. If anyone here can provide any knowledge. reliable one, that is old man Julius van der Aaken, close friend and mentor.

He doesn't live in a hut. There are no huts in Halmathan. This is a City and unless your are grotesquely rich, you, like millions here, rent. Because the Church of Fharlanghn gave you a roof over your head, living expenses were never a concern. When the Light House was seized by Connor, those of your faith moved out with little resistance. The Olidammaran Purge had been recent and nobody wanted to face The Grand Inquisitor's Wrath and end in the Castello.

Julius is a seasoned and well respected soldier of the old guard. He was retired by the time you arrived here, but with taxes rising, he had to don the uniform and put on the badge once again as you walk to the St. Matheus Apartments in Wyrdmingham Street, not far from the marina.

And then, amidst the ever falling rain, you hear those things again- The Eyes in the Sky. A broadcast done daily in a soothing female voice:

His Holiness, in his infinite wisdom and love, wishes only to keep you safe. Do not debase yourselves by breaking the Law- it is here for your protection. Magic is a tool wielded only by those appointed by His Holiness. Anyone else is a filthy devil worshipper and it is our duty to denounce such murderous practices.

Remember: His Holiness is always watching. Actions of ill intent are unacceptable. Contrition and compliance will see this City restored to its former glory very soon. And only with your help.

Have a Lawful and Blessed day...

Messages like these are daily in the City. A reminder to the masses of what's good and what's bad. Unbelievably so, after a year with these things:

A bunch of people are beginning to agree with those damn Eyes. Thankfully, that's not the case with you or your mentor as you take out the key and check the old elevator in the lobby as you dry your boots on a damp mat.

Damn metal box has been in repairs for a month, which means you're using the stairs again.. all the way to the fourteenth floor.

Hard to believe the old man has been doing this for years, but he is a soldier after all. Better physically fit than any other old man here as you make your way inside with the sapre key he gave you and find Julius pouring himself a cup of coffee in the very small apartment both share:

"How was the marina? Find anything good for sale from the merchants? Was thinking of getting some fish tonight after my shift is over.""

The old soldier sits down on his favorite patched leather couch and smells the coffee before taking a sip as the window behind him patters with the rabid rain outside.

"So what's your plans for today?"

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Even here it's better to keep things safe. No need to shout out names, better unspoken. Some walls are thinner than the others.

Greetings! Won't believe what had happened: Had a good talking with a seagull“ pronouncing the word differently “and it asked me for a favor. I should seek and find someone for her.“
    Nuramon went over to the desk and ripped off the blank part on the side of the newspaper. He wrote a single name on it Corwin Knell showed it to the old man and threw it in afterwards into the open fire.
    Although he hadn't heard that name before, it must be poison for some people. There must be a reason this Corwin hides in The Mercy. If he has the power, the proofs to overthrow His Holiness, Grand Inquisitor Connor of the Cudgel it has to be done as soon as possible. And if he is in charge to find him, so shall it be.
    What do you know, Jul? I need every help I can get.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

@Davish: She isn't following you, a brief relief from this place.

And then, people. Not the best people- they might all try to thieve you from your belongings at any opportunity. However, there is an inn. This, you can relate to since your family own one back in the City.

Cleaning yourself as best you can, you take a deep breath and turn the doorknob as a tiny bell above alerts your presence inside and you take a look around.

The place isn't that big, but they manage to put a bunch of round tables that you have to navigate with much care since all of them are packed with dirty soppy wet hobos in smelly cloaks. They are either drinking, gambling for whatever spare coins each might hold in their dirty wallets...

Or eating what you can only hope is rabbit. Cook would probably know better, but the smell of these dishes is far from good.

And then you reach the actual bar at the end of the room, where a wrinkled old gnome wench cleans a glass with a dirty rag and pours herself some brown liquor in a small glass, downing it in one gulp as she smiles and motions for you to take a stool.

Of note, there is a helmet on the counter, in front of the stool next to yours. One that looks awfully familiar.

"Welcome, stranger! Welcome to The Bitter Coffee, The Mercy's finest bar and eatery... and the only one. I am Nana Rose, proprietress.""

Nana takes a look at you and raises an eyebrow as she smiles slyly.

"Botched job out there? Hey, at least you got your health, am I right? What can I get you?""

It is then that a door beside the bar opens and out comes the tall man in chains who eyes you with much contempt and you can see now that he's utterly bald. bald as they come. Those motes of light you saw out in the rain? Highly crafted sigils that float around his head as the man sits beside you and places his helmet back on looking at Nana.

"Since when do you allow thieves here, Nana?""

The gnome looks at the man, then at you and finally at the crowd at the tables.

"Fifteen years, give or take. You are really going to get all judgmental now, Kyrich? Come on, lighten up... or not. Your decision, but you know the rules here."

The man has a name, but he avoids eye contact with you while Nana turns her back to both and then returns with two tall steaming cups to go as Kyrich reaches for his money pouch, causing the gnome to raise her hand and shake her wrinkled head.

"You know your money is no good here, my friend. Send my regards to Byerek. Made it extra bitter for him.""

The knight gets up and takes a long look at you as he blows on both his hands and grabs the cups, trying to hide the fact they are really hot, as his hands get red almost instantly.

"Thank you, Nana. I will send him your salute. Take care...""

The gnome watches Kyrich stop in front of the many tables and patiently waits as the patrons have to move the tables for his large frame to get through as she snaps her fingers to catch your attention.

"Well? What're you having?""

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

@Nuramon: It may be a small apartment, but at least it's a roof over your head.

Still, walls are thin. Windows even more so. There are many who side with Connor and best be careful how you communicate this to old man Julius as he drinks his coffee and nods a few times in reference to the Marina Seagull, but it is as you write a name and show it to him that the old man holds your hand and squints to read the name for just a few seconds before allowing you to toss it into the fire.

With a loud grunt, the old soldier gets up and opens an overflowing drawer as paper and notebooks drop to the ground.

"I am old man, Nuramon. Old people collect things. I'm not just a sword swinger. I enjoy a good read and that name has sparked something back in my mind...aha! Here we go.""

It's a newspaper article, written by this man. Skimming through it, it's a restaurant review. One of many in the City.

"That's an old piece from The Halmathan Gazette, Nuramon. The City's best newspaper. Impartial in its delivery, it was a great source of facts for everyone here. You had pieces like restaurant reviews to a critique on the churches and crown. And still they were respected...

But then, His Holiness rose to power. I guess he deemed The Gazette an enemy of The City and so, seized it. I can only imagine that those who worked there, investigative journalists the majority, must've been incarcerated or made to write those oh so inspirational messages we hear every day above our heads.

Seems one got away, though. As for The Mercy, hmmm...""

The old man starts picking up the pieces of paper and jutting them back into the drawer, pushing down with some extra force so they remain locked inside and sitting back on his old chair, sipping his brew.

"The original name is Hope's Caress, but everyone knows it as The Mercy. I used to go there when I was about your age... maybe ten years younger. Beautiful district. One of the richest in the entire City. Finest families lived there.

And then there was a fire and it all went to hell. Who knows how many died that night, but the place never recovered. His Holiness later would build his wall of Separation, making contact with those over there even harder. Called it a response to an Olidammaran terrorist attack...""

The old man rolls his eyes and takes a long sip from his mug.

"Getting to the wall is easy by horse or car- just a gold to cross town. But I heard they deployed the 65th, that's a branch of the militia. And I heard the guy who runs it is a complete ass, pardon my french.

There were maps of the entire City, including The Mercy. But His Holiness had the presses print a new map. One that does not include it. I guess he doesn't want anyone going there or maybe he doesn't want the Mercy to be a part of Halmathan. sadly, I don't have either a new or old map. We have the new ones at the station, but that will do you no good."

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

“To bad, you have no maps from it.
    What do you know about the Mask of Light & Shadow? It sounds like some kind of Inn. You know where it is - or was? The location in relation to The Mercies entrance? Something?“

Nuramon first thought this was going to be easy, okay not easy, but not that tough, when Julius took out the drawer and mentioned the maps. But yeah, no easy game here. Drawing maps by himself isn't something he's good at. But he's positive to find a way, when he has a vague description of where he should go. Something like “5km into the north, north-eastern direction“.

Not getting lost in an urban region is the same is in the wilderness: you need to know where eg north is and some fix-points, like a mountain or the tower of a church. But at least you need to know where to start your search. The Mercy is - or was - the biggest district of Halmathan. To find someone you don't know somewhere you never been before is at least a challenge.

20. - Top - End - #260

DruidGuy

well met mistress Nana.

brandy if you have it, or wine, or ale, in that order. you spoke of rules just now. i have a fond place in my heart for rules, please enlighten me.

i should like a room if one is available, if not, do you have a private dining area for i should like a bit of privacy for a time.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

@Nuramon: Julius reads one of the old articles as he drinks his coffee and shakes his head.

“The Mercy is huge. If there is a place like that- or was- I never went to it. Maybe it’s an inn? Again, I haven’t been there in years, so your guess is as good as mine.”

The old soldier finishes his coffee and looks up at you from his old chair.

“You know you can go to The Mercy, right? It’s far from here, but a taxi can get you there. I don’t know how things are on the other side of the wall, but you aren’t just some ordinary dupe-

I am sure you’ll find a way.”

@Davish: Finally a place you can relate to here.

Everyone needs an inn. A place to take a load off and join in camaraderie with their friends to forget the malaise of the day.

Nana wipes the counter as she listens to your statement regarding life, raising an eyebrow.

“You have... a fondness for rules? I have never met anyone to ever utter something like that. Perhaps you hit yourself a bit too hard on the head outside?

But if rules are your thing, here’s mine:

No fighting at the Bitter Coffee.”

On the matter of your pick of poison, Nana gestures behind the bar to shelves lined with old bottles and a pair of large wooden barrels on the floor.

“Brandy is one gold.

We have no wine.

Ale and coffee are a copper a glass or mug.”

And then you ask for a private room and proper lodging, as is customary for a place like this... something tgat causes the old gnome to laugh as she wipes the tears off her eyes.

“Sure! Would you like the presidential suite? We have a private dining room that hold top class meetings for ambassadors and other foreign dignitaries, but I think we can squeeze you in, unless the rats have taken it already!”

Nana stops laughing and takes a good look at you.

“You’re new here, right? Look kid: this isn’t an inn. People come here. They eat, have a few drinks, gamble a bit and then they leave. This is no hospice. If you want a place to lay down, you’re in luck:

Every single building in The Mercy will serve that exact function. Free of charge.”

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

Einkil only has a moment to admire his work before he can hear the hoard of monsters begining to splat against the wall. Right run now live to tell the tale later. And so he takes of in a dead sprint cursing the woman and her flying steed as she tells him to run quicker. "You try running with all this extra weight and no flying hipp..." thats when he hears a loud cracking sound form behind him and his pace doubles as the dwarves normally tan skin turns very pale as he runs as fast as he can trying to dodge falling rocks.

Left, right, slide, jump. All these things Einkil had to do and more to avoid the larger of the rocks, as still smaller ones rained down upon his head until he dived at the last second just making it out of the tunnel as the entire thing collapses behind him, leaving him face first in what he can only hope is a mud pile. Rising to his feet and letting the rain do its work as he quickly goes to work cleaning his beard he looks at the dead figure Clarity had brought with her and listens to what she has to say.

Inside the building the dwarf answers. " A batlike creature snuck up behind me while I was trying to hide in the shadows of the tunnel. Smaller then the one chasing you though, made it retreat thankfully with few wounds, I will have to make sure they are not infected later however when we are safe." he admits as he lifts his hammer to the wounds he has to cauterize them closed for the moment.

"Clarity I hate to tell you this..." Einkil begins as he looks over her friend and determines she is no longer with the living, however stops as the previously thought dead person spits out some blood. " Correction stand back, I don't know how your friend is alive still but its going to take a miracle to keep her spirit here." Einkil says as he takes off his helmet and places it on the floor besides him. Next comes the runestone his mother gave him said to be a gift from the Soul forger himself which he places on the woman's brow. Lastly he pulls out his holy symbol and holds it in one hand as he uses the other to have Graund rest upon the woman's chest. Hoping the connection to the stone and the elemental within would help connect her and his powers together.

"Moradin hear my plea, a child of stone calls to thee. His voice joined with that of the earth, and a token you gave to my mother long ago. I ask you to heal this warrior and infuse her with the deep roots of the earth. Allow their strength to sustain her and make her strong once more." Einkil begins praying in Terran the entire time, speaking more and more as a soft green light travel's up from the earth it seems into his body which redirects it into Graud and lastly into the unconcious woman on the floor. The smell of deep mountain soil fills the area, fresh and filled with nutrients.

Spoiler: Cure Serious wounds
    Show

The extra stuff is just for show.

Turning Spike stones into Cure Serious wounds
    (4d8+11)[35] hp cured to random stranger Laura Wildstar

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

Laura passes the flight in unconscious delirium. The hills are nice. The fireflies are nice. Clarity is super-nice. She laughs along with her girlfriend, wrapping her arms around Clarity tightly so as to stay balanced on Larry's mighty back. The sunset flight is romantic and magical! Laura buries her face in Clarity's shoulder and watches the sun dip below the horizon, the clouds around them uplit by the dying sun as the first stars begin to appear overhead along with the much closer dancing fireflies.

And yet despite all this bliss a tiny voice inside Laura niggles that all this is too good to be true. That this isn't the life she deserves. A deeper shadow forms on the horizon, advancing rapidly until the final rays of the sun are cut off completely and the stars vanish overhead. Her breath fogs as the air turns chill, a cold that reaches straight into her bones, chilling her heart like a heavy weight. Laura looks to Clarity for reassurance, but the woman she embraces is a leering succubus with the face of someone else! Instead of noble Larry the creature they ride has leathery wings and a vicious scaly tail!

Laura struggles, flailing at the demon and before remembering herself and punching it hard in its smirking face! The succubus and the thing that was Larry evaporate in evil black smoke and Laura finds herself falling towards black darkness rising up to meet her, until at the last moment...

"AH!"

She starts awake dislodging the runestone balanced on her brow. Blinking up at the figure above her confusion reigns momentarily as she tries to clear the fog of disorientation. It's... it's the dwarf from outside Nana's? What's he doing here? Out of the corner of her eye she locates Clarity and Larry and things start to make more sense. They must be associates and Clarity brought her here for healing.

"My thanks. I think I needed that."

She tries to push herself up on one elbow, but a weight on her chest resists. So that was real? A giant hammer? Huh. Rather than press the issue she decides the floor is just fine for now, flopping back down to rest. She turns her head to face Clarity. "This. Place. Is. Insane," she states.
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2020-03-08 at 05:01 PM.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

As the strange woman he meet earlier in passing when walking into the bitter coffee jolts awake and sends his runestone flying the dwarf quickly jumps after it. Landing on his back as he makes sure the precious gift doesn't touch the muddy, grime filled ground, thus dropping Graund's full weight onto her chest.

As Einkil rights himself up, runestone in hand, he safely places it away before looking at her. "You think you needed that? Had it not been for your friend getting you to me, and the grace of the Soul Forger you would be dead." he says picking up his hammer and placing it back on his belt. "Next time try not to throw my runestone." he says carefully, after all he was supposed to have this person like him and help him. Best not to start a fight so soon after meeting and saving her.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

@Einkil: Finally out of that damn place.

Who knows if you would've been able to take on all those monsters, but they did collapse a tunnel on themselves...and nobody survives that.

Once in the clear, Clarity carries the broken meat bag she calls Laura and places her inside a run down building, one of many in The Mercy and although you are hesitant about her being alive, it becomes all too clear when a bloody spit lands on your beard and you get to work, placing your mother's memento on her forehead and slowly balancing Graund on her stomach as you get close to her face and bestow upon her the power of the Soul Forger, using you as a conduit.

Meanwhile, Clarity paces back and forth while Larry takes a well deserved rest and listens to your own skirmish.

"Sounds like you had a run in with Furcas,the Pitiful Screech. That flying rat is one of Asgrim's lieutenants in Camazotz Den. Not particularly dangerous if you know how to deal with him. And like many there, a coward who will prey on those who are alone.

Doesn't matter, though- we're done with that place."

@Laura: What began as a harrowing fight for survival turned into a joy ride in a bucolic heaven.

But despite flying carefree with Clarity atop Larry, something in your gut tells you it's wrong. It shouldn't be this way. And then you fall off Larry and descend into darkness...

Only to gasp and open your eyes to meet with those of a dirty, bloodied up dwarf. His beard scratching your face and neck as you instinctively aim to head butt him and toss something out of your forehead before Clarity rushes to your side while the dwarf rolls on the muddy ground and captures whatever he placed on you.

The hammer weighs down heavily and realizing already where you are and what happened, surrender to the situation as the kordite kneels beside you and holds your hand.

"You are safe, Laura... but why on earth did you go there? I was clear in my letter for you to wait at The Bitter Coffee. I was going to pick you up. Walking around this place alone? It's just asking for you to get killed!""

Clarity goes silent and looks back outside.

"You went in with someone, didn't you? I am sorry... I was too late to rescue him. But you are here with us now. Mourning your friend will have to wait. And the reason why you are alive with us now and able to speak is because of this guy.

Einkil Thurbane, a priest of Moradin. He sealed off Cordelia and her family. They will not be a problem anymore. Can you get up? We need to get back to the farm and recover your strength."

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

"Remiel is dead," Laura replies wearily, closing her eyes to try and hide her shame. "He had his own mission, but didn't know where to start so we agreed to help each other. He'd already saved my life once when we found Cordelia pretending to be the last survivor of a salvage run. She said she'd guide us to the farm for saving her. She tricked us pretty good. We both forgot Nana's warning about the green."

Laura keeps her eyes closed as she tells the story of how she ended up in trouble. Her voice is a brittle monotone as she struggles to keep it together for the retelling. This may not be the best place for it, but in the absence of an immediate threat she feels she has to get this off her chest, a heavier weight even than the dwarf's hammer.

"The ambush was perfect. We didn't have room to manoeuvre or cover to escape to, and there was something about the place that made me slow. We were both heavily injured almost immediately. Remiel dispelled the effect on me and I jumped clear, but I couldn't do anything to save him. They ripped him to shreds as I watched."

Tears are flowing freely now as Laura opens her eyes and looks foggily at the dwarf, though she doesn't acknowledge them at all.

"I'm sorry about your runestone. I dreamt I was falling."
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2020-03-09 at 03:13 AM.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

@Laura: Clarity shakes her head and walks out into the rain after helping you back on your feet.

"Rarely do people here offer help for free, Laura. And if you find someone meek and defenseless alone amidst a carnage in this place, I very rarely chalk it up to good fortune on their part.

So your friend's name was Remiel? Someone to pray for tonight, then. You have been very lucky, Laura- Cordelia and the others in there are not prone to taking prisoners. Don't tempt fate like that again... please.""

Clarity looks at the clouded skies and looks at both you and Einkil as she signals to leave the building.

"Camazotz Den may be blocked, but that isn't to say this place is safe. Larry will fly above and keep watch, while we three will go on foot to the farm. We aren't too far, thankfully....""

And as you walk out into the rain, the images flash painfully slow in your mind as you recreate your escape and Remiel's pained expression and the sound of flesh and bones crunch under hungry feral jaws and Cordelia's laughter echoes through it all.

Clarity is quick to hold you under the rain as she caresses your back.

"You did the best you could, Laura. I blame myself for not having been there to pick you up sooner, but understand...""

Clarity holds your face with both her hands and looks directly into your tear filled eyes.

"You're a Lion. And the lioness I fell for years ago never gives up, no matter what. We are resting today and all through the night, but come morning I need you strong, okay? Now stay close to me and...""

Clarity holds your hand and gives you a smile and a wink and lowers her voice for only you to hear.

"Take a shower! You smell like a sty... almost as bad as the dwarf."

@Einkil & Laura: It takes about twenty minutes on foot as you cross the many twisting alleys and Clarity looks up to Larry, who nods in silence, assuring you that it's safe to cross before she addresses more questions regarding the place you were.

"Your body was most likely subjected to Arcane Pollution, Laura. The thing is found all over the Mercy, but far more in Camazotz Den. It's pretty much an area that can have different reactions to anyone. Those who practice any kind of craft, arcane or divine, are said to be far more susceptible to it.

We don't know where it comes from or why, but it's one of the many hazards in The Mercy. Some places have signs to keep people away, but not all and it's not like people here are mapping the district and putting their lives at risk to tell others where not to go, so there's that.

I heard that the only way to stop it is...""

Clarity ends her sentence as all of you find yourself at the base of a vey short hill with a run down house atop it. Einkil is well aware of it, but neither of you had seen before that outside the house, next to a patch of mud, a woman grunts as she shovels dirt out of the ground with angered purpose.

A body has been wrapped in dirty bloody sheets and a smaller bag rests next to it, even bloodier as Clarity lets go of Laura's hand and rushes towards the figure.

Larry steps between her mistress and both and shakes his head for you to wait. This doesn't stop you from peeking behind the hippogriff and watch as Clarity rushes next to the figure, who ignores her and continues to shovel dirt out before the kordite grabs the shovel from her hand and the other woman falls on her knees and covers her face as Clarity kneels beside her and comforts her.

The feathered beast lowers his head and shakes it, releasing a single shriek towards the heavens, one carrying much sorrow and pain that resonates with the bawling cries from the woman on the small patch.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

"Wait that thing was like a thinking person with a name? I knew the beast was intelligent when it backed off when it had a hard time getting through my armor, but I didn't think much more then that. Thank you for the warning I will remember that next time if they somehow manage to clear all the rubble." Einkil tells Clarity, not planning to ever go back to that place but knowing that what a mortal planned and the gods had planned were normally very different things.

When Laura comes to Einkil listen to her tale about someone called Remiel and how he had died back there. Must have been the other one in rags I saw with her leaving the Bitter Coffee. Einkil determines as he hears that the two had ignored the warnings about this place. "You thought a place full of cutthroats and thieves wouldn't try to double cross you? You have to be less trusting then that of strangers Laura otherwise you will always be swindled, or end up dead where your friend Clarity can't get to you." Einkil adds in to make a point that if it wasn't for Clarity she would be dead as well right now.

When the woman apologizes about his runestone however he nods. "Flying, nasty business I guess I can understand the jumping up in such a case then." he says remembering his own fear at simply being in the air, that wasn't even falling from the sky. Then he listens as Clarity explains there are places in the Mercy that could effect people in different ways, some kind of arcane pollution or something. "So we are in a ruined part of the city no one wants to go to, most people want to kill us, or at least take our valuables, and now the very land will try to kill us to if we happen to go into certain locations that are not marked that are polluted. This place sounds like a new layer to the nine hells if you ask me." Einkil replies, not liking the odds of surviving this place the more he learned about it. "Well come on spit it out how do we stop...oh..." the dwarf says as he crests the hill and follows her line of sight.

The little farmhouse like building looked a lot less friendly then it did when he first arrived, however as the scene unfolded he was happy he wasn't hear to have to deal with the situation. It looked like exactly what he had thought it was, though he couldn't be one hundred percent sure given the distance, and he was not one to invade a persons privacy when they were in morning, and so instead waits at the top of the hill with Larry and Laura. "Bad omens I say, for so many to die this day with this weather. Larry tell us when we may pass please." the dwarf says before looking to Laura. "So why are you on this side of the wall? I know Clarity is your friend, and something about a letter. You mentioned that other person with you, the one in rags, was looking for someone. So am I, if you are willing to help me perhaps we can work together?"

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

@Einkil: Clarity shakes her head at your question.

"It may have a name and be able to think, but Furcas is not a person. Honestly, I don't know what the hell it is. The only one who holds some human looking appearance in that place is Cordelia, but you made sure we won't have to deal with them anymore...""

Clarity looks at Laura and raises an eyebrow.

"Because no one will be heading to Camazotz Den anymore, yes?""

When the champion Clarity promised speaks of this Remiel, you tie up the loose ends and conclude that must've been the hippie looking guy you saw her with back at The Bitter Coffee. The man is beyond saving, something confirmed by both Laura and Clarity.

This doesn't stop you from reminding this woman that trusting thieves is never a wise decision. And when Clarity brings up arcane pollution, you look around at the ruined buildings and feel the constant patter of rain on your heavily scratched armor and comment on the status of this place, to which the kordite nods.

"It's pretty close to what you describe, yes. Where I am taking you, we won't have to deal with that issue. But I will need strong hands and capable minds for what is to take place. For now, we all must rest and regain our strength. Sounds good?""

@Laura & Einkil: Once you reach the farm house, Clarity leaves your side and Larry stands between you and her as she goes to confront the woman in the yard, shoveling like madman under this inclement weather.

It takes a few minutes before Clarity helps the woman inside and sobbing can be heard, turning to loud bawling and broken furniture as Larry shakes his head and after a few minutes, the crying stops and your kordite friend slowly opens the door and Larry ascends to the rooftop.

"Please come in, both of you. Try not to make too much noise and uhh... wipe your feet on the mat. I guess...""

Clarity doesn't look as cheery as during the walk back. Not that she was enthusiastic to go to Camazotz Den, but that wrapped body outside has struck her hard. Harder than anything those things back in the tunnel could do, apparently.

The first thing that catches your attention is a bloody trail on the floor leading from an opened room. You can't see much inside, but there are a bunch of candles lit in there, of the votive kind seen at churches and temples.

The same candles can be seen around the humble home's interior, as well as a tapestry with religious symbols, a table with a map on it and three weak loking chairs assembled around it, a fireplace wit a bubbling cauldron and an old heavily patched couch as Clarity walks to the room and slowly closes it, making sure the room next to it is safe as she peeks inside and then as quietly as possible closes the door and walks back to both.

"I gave Lendra something to calm her nerves. I hope it's enough. Please, take a seat. We should be safe here. For the rest of the day and...""

Clarity clears her throat and gestures to the couch and chairs as she walks out the door, not before looking at Einkil.

"Guess it's more than just a scratch and a bite, huh? I'm going to finish burying the body. Won't take long."

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Nuramon wasn't happy about the answers he got. He knew that his old friend told him only the truth, but he had the feeling, that Julius knew more than he said. It was just that the right questions weren't asked.

For about 5 minutes, Nuramon sat there, quietly and thinking. I am sure you’ll find a way
    Sure he will! He's first a scout and second a follower of the wanderer. It's like telling a smith “you can forge the sword“...
    Old grumpy dude and his cryptic answers.

Jul, my old friend, I leaving. You're right: I have to find my own way! Look after my stuff, but don't touch it, ya?“ he said with a smile “May your hunt always be successful, your eyes and sword keen, and your coffee strong and hot! Goodbye, until we see again!

He took his backpack and his equipment he needed outside, and left the flat, walked downstairs and stepped out of the door. But before touching the pavement, he stopped his motion. Fharlanghn, guide me my way

He jumped out, two three dancing, tumbling steps and he raises his hand: “Cab!