Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: New Order: Rise of the Villains (M&M Recruiting)

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyvurg View Post
    Everything should be capped. Your damage, attack bonuses, and saves should all be as high as the system allows. If a stat has a lower limit due to another being higher that's fine (but don't go too far with that), but it should all be as high as you can get it.
    I mean they don't have to be...

But how far skewed would you say is acceptable.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Everything should be capped. Your damage, attack bonuses, and saves should all be as high as the system allows. If a stat has a lower limit due to another being higher that's fine (but don't go too far with that), but it should all be as high as you can get it.
    But why though? I mean I could reduce all my skills to zero and only put it into close combat to cap it but I still want intimidation and other things. Plus doesn't every character having the exact same amount of survivability just reduce originality and variation between the characters? Eg. a muscle bond brawler being affected the exact same amount from a punch as a hidden sniper

3. - Top - End - #33

I personally plan a physically weak character with high will.

4. - Top - End - #34

Lizardfolk

Yeah I was planning a high dodge sort of Brawler so I thought he would be a little bit more survivable than the average bear. But I guess all the bears are maxing out their survivability so my first entry was in fact the least tanky out of the entries.

5. - Top - End - #35

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbus View Post
    But why though? I mean I could reduce all my skills to zero and only put it into close combat to cap it but I still want intimidation and other things. Plus doesn't every character having the exact same amount of survivability just reduce originality and variation between the characters? Eg. a muscle bond brawler being affected the exact same amount from a punch as a hidden sniper
    This is actually the issue I'm having when trying to design a character. Offense and defense are going to have different descriptors but are still likely to be very close if not identical between party members. The investment required to hit the basic numbers required to not be a liability eat up a decent chunk of your points and then you're left with a little pool for utility that will differentiate you from the rest of the party. The combat aspect feels very homogenized.
    Last edited by Warlawk; 2020-01-15 at 08:28 PM.
    A man who dies fighting with his principles intact dies in glory. To expect enemies to follow the same code of honor defiles that honor, reducing it to a set of arbitrary rules.

6. - Top - End - #36

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Warlawk View Post
    This is actually the issue I'm having when trying to design a character. Offense and defense are going to have different descriptors but are still likely to be very close if not identical between party members. The investment required to hit the basic numbers required to not be a liability eat up a decent chunk of your points and then you're left with a little pool for utility that will differentiate you from the rest of the party. The combat aspect feels very homogenized.
    Yeah I don't know I'll probably change my defenses back to not optimal so theres actually a point to defend others in the party and what not

7. - Top - End - #37

WolfInSheepsClothing

Will start working on a sheet. But if I play my character right I should not have to summon my minions at all.

8. - Top - End - #38

Yeah I don't know I'll probably change my defenses back to not optimal so theres actually a point to defend others in the party and what not
    I'd say just follow your heart. Unless the GM says something specific about what they prefer. it's a violent strategy either way. Each one just uses different mind sets.

9. - Top - End - #39

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Stormwolf69 View Post
    Interested but do you guys mind if I play as something like the Mastermind form city of villains? What do you guys think for minions demon or undead?
    I reckon demon for minions, generally gives more interesting variety other than skeleton and zombies.

10. - Top - End - #40

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Warlawk View Post
    It's very strange that it's like that because this is by far the most customizable game I have ever seen. The game doesnt demand you max out certain things so I'm probably going to avoid doing that for varieties sake.

11. - Top - End - #41

WolfInSheepsClothing

Should have my Character sheet done by Sunday. Using Hero forge to calculate my characters skill points. Also as to the action economy. it should be ok. As my villain is a mastermind type. he might offer to allow his minions to add a combat character. well keeping more to the side lines. Example

"When dealing with a paragon like a superman. One does not rush in a fight him head-on. No, no. One studies there opponent. and then destroys him. not directly but indirectly. By buying out media and politicians. I can attack him at my leisure without him even knowing." Start evil laughter.
    Last edited by Stormwolf69; 2020-01-15 at 10:39 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

So I'm trying to finish up my Aspect of Behemoth and I've realized that I've never actually build a brawler character before. I'm not really sure what kind of powers to give her in that form. Right now she has a tough hide, regeneration and power lifting to throw heavy objects. I'm thinking of giving her four arms and demonic wings, but otherwise I'm not sure how to build out the Behemoth.

I reckon demon for minions, generally gives more interesting variety other than skeleton and zombies.
    I would just like to point out that my character is a literal herald of the nether world and can take on demonic aspects. If she ends up in a group with someone who summons demons, she's going to have words with them

13. - Top - End - #43

Quote Originally Posted by Glitchy View Post
    I would just like to point out that my character is a literal herald of the nether world and can take on demonic aspects. If she ends up in a group with someone who summons demons, she's going to have words with them
    Depending if Lawful: Do you have the proper forms to summon those demons?
    or Chaotic: They're lesser demons, **** em.

A man who dies fighting with his principles intact dies in glory. To expect enemies to follow the same code of honor defiles that honor, reducing it to a set of arbitrary rules.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gac3 View Post
    I mean they don't have to be...

But how far skewed would you say is acceptable.
    It depends on the defense in question, but as an example, Toughness and Dodge/Parry. Thanks to degrees of success causing harder saving throws, by taking lower defense and higher Toughness, you're going to be taking more damage, not less, especially if the enemy has Multiattack, which specifically breaks the PL limit on damage. Conversely, a high accuracy, low damage attack means anything with a high Impervious value is going to simply ignore you.

How you balance your character is up to you, but the PL scale is designed to assume your character is at those limits, or can achieve them. However if you want a tip on saving a few points to get all the stuff you want, skills can be put in an array, and if you can't use two skills in the same round, there's no mechanical reason not to do it. Like, you can't use Close and Ranged combat in the same round, so if you need the points why not save yourself the cost?
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."

15. - Top - End - #45

Lizardfolk

It depends on the defense in question, but as an example, Toughness and Dodge/Parry. Thanks to degrees of success causing harder saving throws, by taking lower defense and higher Toughness, you're going to be taking more damage, not less, especially if the enemy has Multiattack, which specifically breaks the PL limit on damage. Conversely, a high accuracy, low damage attack means anything with a high Impervious value is going to simply ignore you.

How you balance your character is up to you, but the PL scale is designed to assume your character is at those limits, or can achieve them. However if you want a tip on saving a few points to get all the stuff you want, skills can be put in an array, and if you can't use two skills in the same round, there's no mechanical reason not to do it. Like, you can't use Close and Ranged combat in the same round, so if you need the points why not save yourself the cost?
    I mean I guess you're right in a mechanical sense you can't do better but from a story telling sense I find it massively inferior. For example, a psychic character would have massive will and fortitude resistance but it makes absolutely no narrative sense that character should take a punch just as well. For that reason I dont think that's the intention of the people who made the game, but I could be wrong I dont know.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

As a pure telepath, sure. But you can improve it with advantages like Defensive Roll and by taking body armor.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Potentially interested; not sure of character concept yet.

I mean I guess you're right in a mechanical sense you can't do better but from a story telling sense I find it massively inferior. For example, a psychic character would have massive will and fortitude resistance but it makes absolutely no narrative sense that character should take a punch just as well. For that reason I dont think that's the intention of the people who made the game, but I could be wrong I dont know.
    Mm. It doesn't make any sense from a realism standpoint, but narratively? I think narrative sense is the only sense this makes.

Spoiler: Digression on PL and M&M design philosophy
    Show
    The sample hero builds in chapter 2 (and the villain archetypes in chapter 3 of the Gamemaster's Guide, if you have that) are pretty suggestive of the designer's intentions, I feel. Most of them come reasonably close to meeting PL in most categories. Quite a few of them are short a couple points in one category or another; that's fine! Arguably kind of unoptimized, but whatever, not the end of the world. On the other hand... note that nobody goes more than 2-4 points below their defensive caps (with the exception of the Mimic and Shapeshifter, who are expected to use their Variable power to make up the difference), and never in more than one or defenses.

Is this a little dull, in some ways? Yeah. You're right that M&M characters can feel same-y after a while, despite how much customization the system offers when it comes to making your powers. Everyone is built off the same skeleton of defense and attack values, with minor variations. So why did they design it that way?

The answer is genre emulation. We're looking at superhero comics (and movies, and graphic novels, and so on), where it's not unreasonable to have Hulk, Thor, Hawkeye and Black Widow in the same battle scene. Now, logically speaking, anything that can scratch the Hulk would probably kill Hawkeye with a grazing blow - but somehow that never happens. It's just not genre-appropriate.

Now, if you're writing a comic book (or movie), you can arrange the script to make this seem vaguely plausible: maybe Hawkeye dodges all the attacks while Hulk just ignores them, or maybe Hulk goes toe-to-toe with the biggest and baddest guy while Hawkeye occupies himself with less hard-hitting minions.

Neither of those solutions works well for an RPG with dice-based combat. Trying for the former will result in a high-lethality game, which is decidedly not what you want for your typical superhero story. The latter is just a nightmare for the GM, because it means they have to try to design every encounter to account for PCs with wildly varying abilities. (I speak from experience here; there are games that try to embrace this dynamic, not to mention games that fall into it because they're poorly balanced. It is a pain in the neck.)

So M&M establishes some basic power/competency benchmarks, to make sure PCs are on more or less even footing. Cyclops is not noticeably more likely to die/get knocked out over the course of a story than Colossus, even though one is a squishy human with eye lasers and the other is made of metal. That's the dynamic M&M's PL rules are trying to create.
    Last edited by The_Snark; 2020-01-16 at 03:11 AM.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

18. - Top - End - #48

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Potentially interested; not sure of character concept yet.

Mm. It doesn't make any sense from a realism standpoint, but narratively? I think narrative sense is the only sense this makes.

Spoiler: Digression on PL and M&M design philosophy
    Show
    The sample hero builds in chapter 2 (and the villain archetypes in chapter 3 of the Gamemaster's Guide, if you have that) are pretty suggestive of the designer's intentions, I feel. Most of them come reasonably close to meeting PL in most categories. Quite a few of them are short a couple points in one category or another; that's fine! Arguably kind of unoptimized, but whatever, not the end of the world. On the other hand... note that nobody goes more than 2-4 points below their defensive caps (with the exception of the Mimic and Shapeshifter, who are expected to use their Variable power to make up the difference), and never in more than one or defenses.

Is this a little dull, in some ways? Yeah. You're right that M&M characters can feel same-y after a while, despite how much customization the system offers when it comes to making your powers. Everyone is built off the same skeleton of defense and attack values, with minor variations. So why did they design it that way?

The answer is genre emulation. We're looking at superhero comics (and movies, and graphic novels, and so on), where it's not unreasonable to have Hulk, Thor, Hawkeye and Black Widow in the same battle scene. Now, logically speaking, anything that can scratch the Hulk would probably kill Hawkeye with a grazing blow - but somehow that never happens. It's just not genre-appropriate.

Now, if you're writing a comic book (or movie), you can arrange the script to make this seem vaguely plausible: maybe Hawkeye dodges all the attacks while Hulk just ignores them, or maybe Hulk goes toe-to-toe with the biggest and baddest guy while Hawkeye occupies himself with less hard-hitting minions.

Neither of those solutions works well for an RPG with dice-based combat. Trying for the former will result in a high-lethality game, which is decidedly not what you want for your typical superhero story. The latter is just a nightmare for the GM, because it means they have to try to design every encounter to account for PCs with wildly varying abilities. (I speak from experience here; there are games that try to embrace this dynamic, not to mention games that fall into it because they're poorly balanced. It is a pain in the neck.)

So M&M establishes some basic power/competency benchmarks, to make sure PCs are on more or less even footing. Cyclops is not noticeably more likely to die/get knocked out over the course of a story than Colossus, even though one is a squishy human with eye lasers and the other is made of metal. That's the dynamic M&M's PL rules are trying to create.
    Oh ok I understand the intentions. Edit: On second thought I'll keep edit the defense stats is there any other type of stat I should be maxing?
    Last edited by Jumbus; 2020-01-16 at 03:40 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGirl

All right, now that my life isn't so crazily hectic, I'm going to see about building my vampire seducer and many other things into a 3rd ed. character. I'll probably focus on a couple vampire powers and not the whole suite so as not to step on to more toes than necessary.
    Minister of sarcasm and pragmatism of the Grayview fanclub.

No, none of us were altering the unimutable laws of physics. That would be wrong.

20. - Top - End - #50

Lizardfolk

Backstory complete

21. - Top - End - #51

Backstory complete
    Glad you stuck around.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Apex Wraith
    Name : Maximilian Evans
    Nationality : British
    Appearance : tall, slender frame, short unkempt brown hair, grey eyes, light tan, black ouftit including gloves and boots with claw-like extremities
    Known crimes : arson, murder, hostage taking, blackmail, theft, vandalism, disturbing the peace, lots of jaywalking
    Mostly known for : getting the mutilated body of his first murder victim displayed as main exhibit in a museum for two days
    Spoiler: background
    Show
    Illegitimate offspring of an alien "hero", with surprising results. Raised by a loving single mother, who is now very disappointed. Very interested in art since a young age, see and seek beauty in everything. Used his super-speed to graduate from three different art schools and made a very short-lived artistic career before turning to crime in a search for the pure expression of his self. Self-diagnosed megalomaniac with a god complex and proud of it.

Spoiler: complications
    Show
    A god am I (Motivation : Recognition)
    Max wishes for nothing less than ultimate greatness, both in power and fame. Plenty of room in the pantheon, but he won't be satisfied with anything lesser than being a god.

My life, my masterpiece (Motivation : Thrills)
    Max seeks challenges measuring to his ambition. What kind of ascension doesn't have bumps along the road?

Show me your beauty (Quirk)
    Drawing the most beauty out of your life involves drawing beauty from your opposition. Sometimes, that imply letting them take an edge.

Alien metabolism (Weakness)
    Being half-alien, Max' metabolism may react very badly to some diseases and poisons.

Spoiler: Mechanics - PL 12 - 180/180pp
    Show
    Abilities (14 pp)
    STR 0 AGI 1
    STA 0 DEX 3
    FGT 0 AWE 0
    INT 1 PRE 2

Skills (27 pp)
    Close combat : Wraith attacks 8 (8)
    Acrobatics 14 (15)
    Deception 16 (18)
    Expertise : Art 9 (10)
    Sleight of Hand 7 (10)

Advantages (13 pp)
    Evasion 2
    Equipment 1
    Fascinate (Deception)
    Fearless
    Improved Grab
    Improved Hold
    Improved Initiative 5
    Move-by Action

Defenses (31 pp)
    Parry +4
    Dodge +3
    Will +15
    Fortitude +9

Devices - (12 pp)
    Wraith suit (16)
    Removable : -4pp
    Active defenses +4
    Protection 4
    STR-based Damage 4

Equipment - (5/5 ep)
    Megaphone
    Gasoline
    Spray paint
    Smartphone

Powers - (83 pp)
    Kinetic ghost (43)
    Speed 16
    Quickness 8
    Protection 4
    Insubstantial 3, Precise, Limited (while moving fast enough)
    Immunity 2 (own slam damage)
    Alien

Fast defense (16)
    Enhanced Parry 8
    Enhanced Dodge 8
    Speed

Too fast to fall (3)
    Movement 3 (Water walking, Wall crawling 2)
    Limited (while moving fast enough)
    Speed

Friction trick (2)
    Feature (can set flammable things on fire by touch)
    Feature (can deliver weak electrostatic shocks by touch)
    Speed, Skill

Wraith attacks (19)
    Spoiler: Array
    Show
    Ultrafast claws (16)
    STR-based Damage 4
    Multiattack 8
    Accurate 4

Hyperkinetic rush (16)
    Enhanced STR 16
    Limited (grabbing), Limited (while moving fast enough)
    STR Affects Corporeal 8

Bullet interception (16)
    Deflect 16
    Triggered
    Reflect
    Limited (projectiles light enough to be thrown back)
    Quirk (must intercept the attack similarly to the Interpose advantage)

Mess with internals (15)
    Affliction 8 (Fortitude DC18; dazed, stunned, incapacitated)
    Accurate 4
    Affects insubstantial 2
    Precise
    Alien, Speed

Spoiler: power/device descriptions
    Show
    Kinetic ghost
    Maximilian is half-alien. His physical body isn't quite as physical as the rest of humanity. He is a lot faster, both physicaly and mentaly, and accumulating momentum enable him to dematerialise himself into pure kinetic energy, unbound by his material form. Extensive training allowed him to do so selectively and use his momentum to deliver massive blow while absorbing the pushback like it's nothing.

Fast defense
    Being really fast is quite helpful to avoid attacks.

Too fast to fall
    When you run faster than gravity, you can pull off tricks like running on water or upward a wall.

Friction trick
    Using friction to heat up something to the point it bursts into flames isn't difficult at the kind of speed Maximilian can reach. Accumulating a static charge is a lot trickier, but far from impossible.

Ultrafast claws
    Simple and straightforward. Use extreme speed to outmaneuver your opponent.

Hyperkinetic rush
    Maximilian can use his high speed to become an irresistible pulling force, and his precise control of wich parts of him remain material allow him to exert a significant chunk of that force without fear of retaliation.

Bullet interception
    Maximilian is fast enough to intercept most projectiles, his main limitation being their weight. He can pick them up and throw them back mid-flight.

Messing with internals
    Effects of a purely kinetic entity moving back and forth through your body numerous times in a short duration range from inducing motion sickness to system shock.

Wraith suit
    The wraith suit doesn't really deserve the qualifier of armor, but it is made of an extremely resistant material that absorbs shocks very effectively and can dematerialise as it gains momentum like Maximilian does. That material is the product of alien technology, more specificaly from the species of Maximilian's father. He stole some of it and made a suit more fitting to his style, that he can use defensively to block and deflect attacks, and offensively with the razor-sharp edges he put on the gloves and boots as part of his personal touch.
    Last edited by Cazero; 2020-04-05 at 01:00 PM. Reason: update
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

I am looking over submissions when I have time and I am considering closing this to new interest soon I'll give it another day or so then I'm going to start moving toward a hard deadline for submissions.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Can I ask a question to make sure I'm understanding the powers correctly?

There is no limit to the number of ranks you can buy. Except where that power hits the caps on attack/save bonus or other similar caps. Correct?

If so, can I buy 23 ranks in Flight (32,000 miles) and be able to circumnavigate the Earth (25,000 mile circumference) in one round?
    Zenithbold-Bard by Lord Raziere | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

25. - Top - End - #55

"What more do I have to do to prove to you that I'm not her?!"

Matilda "Tilly" Madison
    AKA
    Anathema

Age Since Creation: 10
    Appears: 19
    Height: 5'9"
    Weight: 600 lbs.
    Origin: Robotics
    Known Crimes: Countless acts of Murder, Kidnapping, Theft, Misuse of Company Property, Vandalism, Unethical Experiments, and Sedition.

Spoiler: Sheet
    Show
    Powers:
    Power Level 12
    Power Points: 180

Abilities [34]:
    Strength: 2 [12]
    Dexterity: 2
    Agility: 1
    Stamina: -
    Intelligence: 8
    Awareness: 1
    Presence: 1
    Fighting: 2

Defenses [28]:
    Initiative: 5
    Toughness: 14
    Fortitude: -
    Dodge: 10
    Will: 12
    Parry: 10

Skills [7]:
    Technology 6 [14]
    Vehicles 4 [6]
    Perception 8 [9]
    Investigation 4 [12]
    Expertise (Robotics) 6 [12]

Advantages: [7]
    Attractive
    Equipment 3
    Inventor
    Jack-of-All-Trades
    Improved Initiative

Equipment: [15]
    Flamethrower
    -AE: Heavy Pistol
    -AE: Submachine Gun

Powers: [114]
    Robot Physiology
    No Stamina Score
    Immunity Rank 30 (Fortitude Effects)
    Immunity Rank 5 (Mental Effects)
    Protection Rank 14
    Comprehend Rank 4 (Machines)
    Speed 4
    Quickness 2

Robot Senses
    Senses Rank 4 (Penetrates Concealment)
    Senses Rank 1 (Infravision)
    Senses Rank 2 (Rapid Vision)
    Senses 1 (Extended Vision)

Enhanced Reactive Combat System
    Enhanced Ranged Attack Rank 10
    -Extra: Alternate Effect 1
    -Alternate Effect: Enhanced Close Combat Rank 10

Nanobot Regeneration
    Regeneration Rank 8

Backup Copy
    Immortality Rank 2
    Comes Back in a Week
    Destroy Every Backup

Quantum Battery Array
    Overclocked Strength
    Enhanced Strength Rank 10
    -Extras: Alternate Effect 4

-Nanobot Technology Control
    -Alternate Effect 1: Affliction Rank 10
    -(Entranced/Compelled/Controlled)
    -Resisted by Will
    -Extras: Perception Range
    -Flaws: Limited (Technology)

-Quantum Battery Laser Cannon
    -Alternate Effect 2: Damage Rank 10
    -Extras: Ranged

-Flight System and Jets
    -Alternate Effect 3: Flight Rank 10

-Nanobots Restructuring
    -Alternate Effect 4: Create Rank 10

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    The original Matilda Madison, aka Matti, was born to the famous roboticist Henry Madison and his equally brilliant wife, Florence Madison, soon after the establishment of their shared company, MadisonTech. They soon had two more daughters; the tenacious Tabitha Madison and the sweet Cordelia Madison. All three of them proved to be equally as brilliant as both of the parents in their studies with the eldest daughter particularly excelling. Their happy lives were ruined by tragedy when the daughters were still young when their mother passed away due to a mysterious illness. They weren't able to find out the cause but it caused a great strain in the family.

Driven by grief and obsession the Father was unwilling to lose those he loved again. And so he set about performing regular brains scans on his children in his belief that the storing of these memories and experiences could be used to one day make a perfect copy, effectively making his daughters immortal. He promised he wouldn't look at their memories, but the full extent of his plans were not revealed to the children. Dr. Henry's company had long held an extensive military contract which easily allowed him to gather the proper resources for such an endever while he was able to continue providing advances in robotics for the military.

Matilda graduated school early, breezed through college and was in the process of obtaining her PhD when she collapsed suddenly. After the hospital ran several tests it was determined to be related to a tumor in her brain. This was coupled with her Father's account that their mother had collapsed several times before her death but considered her project too important to worry about it and it seemed clear that was what happened to her as well. Henry was in the early stages of making an advanced medical robot that could perform the surgery with no danger to Matilda but it was determined there wasn't time and they had to go ahead with the surgery. Unfortunately, there were complications and the beautiful genius daughter of one of the world's foremost robotictists was dead just like that. Henry would forever curse himself for not being faster, for not detecting it sooner, for letting someone else he loved die.

However, the brilliant man had plans and started using the latest brain scans of the late Matilda on a special project. Made of special materials, carbon steel, plastic, and a synthetic skin mesh he created a near-perfect replica of his deceased daughter. Using a bit of experimental nano-technology he was able to keep the skin and metal from rejecting each other, and fix any tears that may form, nearly eliminating the need for day-to-day maintenance. It was a stroke of genius. He also gifted her with a power-core battery that was just enough to power her systems which wouldn't be a problem now but would in the future when she added more hardware. Dr. Henry was no fool and had created several test copies before committing to this perfect body he created as a vessel so he'd worked out most of the kinks. Turning the thing off and on again, over and over, talking with it, making sure it worked properly countless times, he was finally ready. A few days later he uploaded his daughters entire self into the machine. The new Matilda cried for hours. It must be a traumatic experience to be told that you are dead and now no longer technically human.

Tabitha had long been the younger sister, the middle sibling, desperate for father's approval and just as talented as her older sister while being ever in her shadow. At only three years younger than Matilda they were very close, so she took her death as hard as anyone. Henry wanted to pass on the company to his older daughter whom he loved more than anything, but that wasn't what the original Matilda wanted. Tabitha, however, adored her father and that was what she wanted which made it just more simple when her elder sister died. So she blanched at the new Matilda for many reasons, disgusted with her father and the entire process in general. At twenty she found herself now the older sister to the new Matilda designed in the style of Matilda as she was at nineteen when she died. Tabitha was uneasy and told her father in private that a machine would never replace her sister, but Henry was adamant that they all treat her as if Matilda never left. From her prospective it must be like she was in a coma for years. Tabitha was staying at home while she attended college, and Cordelia was just happy to have her back, and so they did, over the next ten years.

What Dr. Madison had neglected to tell the machine Matilda was that he often checked over his daughters memories and while he couldn't see the exact contents he could surmise where he wanted to delete an unpleasant day. So he did, editing his daughter's memories to be more to his liking- like all the time's she'd ever told him she didn't want to take over the company, among other things. This caused several ripple effects. If he could simply view their memories he would have also deleted all knowledge that contained the fact that Matilda preferred to date women, a fact she'd never told her family but the robot duplicate retained. This caused major problems when the duplicate ran into Emily who was known by her family to be a friend of Matilda but was actually her girlfriend. Henry had deleted some memories of Emily in his effort to help the duplicate choose better friends, but not all of them, so their reunion was confusing and emotional. Matilda explained things to her as best she should, but the experience left her shaken.

The duplicate Matilda started to date Emily in secret, but there were other cracks. The new Matilda liked to be called Tilly, which the original Matilda had detested instead preferring to go by Matti. Tilly reported sometimes feeling odd like she was looking at someone else's memories when she thought back to the original. Within several weeks of dating her, Emily broke things off, calling her definitely not the Matilda she knew, that she was so weird and the Matilda personality was all surface. Emily told her there's no way a freaky robot copy of Matilda should exist. Things weren't improved when, upset, she told her Father all about Emily, which Matti had sworn to never do. Things came to a head when Henry introduced Tilly to the son of an aquatince of his trying to set her up- a man which he didn't know had sexually assaulted the original Matilda. In a fit of rage the duplicate used her considerable strength to crush him at a party in front of several witnesses in an act which the press would describe as brutal. Tabitha would later tell her in an argument that Matilda would have never done anything so vile.

The man she killed was the son of a rich family. In order to keep Tilly from going to jail or being prosecuted as human, Dr. Henry had her claimed as an asset of his company- simply one of his many robots. This made the huge financial hit come straight out of the company and the stocks plummeted with the open knowledge that one of his robots could 'malfuction' and cause death. It also meant that Tilly wasn't really a person, but an object owned by MadisonWorks. This didn't sit well with Tilly. Fearful of the future, Tilly started to arm herself which would be a huge draw on her power core. Brilliant as the original Matilda, she upgraded her systems secretly with X-Ray Eyes in order to keep an eye on the rest of her family. She didn’t like what she found.

Desperate to reclaim some form of identity she clinged onto Matilda’s relationships and kidnapped Emily before hiding them both away. Tilly kept her there for a few months before they were discovered by the superhero Mechwizard who rescued Emily, who by this point loathed the android. The hero revealed herself to have always been Tabitha, who used nanomachines in her crime fighting. Tabitha convinced Tilly to go back home under temporary house arrest and Tilly agreed. While Tabitha had feared revealing her hero persona to the original Matilda out of fear of judgement for being reckless or stupid the new Matilda was elated at the prospect of what you could do with such power.

While reclused once more in the Madison Manor Tilly continued to upgrade herself following the example of her “older” sister. While Tabitha was wary of her and her father was furious, the younger Cordelia still adored her. The android took this time to study and reflect, but she wasn’t fond of her fathers new companion. Without his late wife’s memories he’d created a wife robot for himself. She thought it was creepy, but talking to the house-droid, Martha, she found it did have a personality as well. Upon some deep reflection Tilly eventually came to a realization; maybe she wasn’t Matilda. All this time everything bad that happened to her was because she tried to be like Matilda and she just wasn’t her. She had her memories, her name, mannerisms, surface aspects of her but.. she didn’t have full fidelity. Later on after several more conversations with Martha about their place in life the other robot killed herself.

Unfortunately, Henry Madison didn’t take this new sense of self well. He started to insist that he created her to be Matilda so if she wasn’t she was a robot and malfunctioning. Her father said maybe after all she’s done he should just turn off her and try again from scratch. When she started to protest and argue with him he did something he’d never done before; he pulled out a small remote and used it to remotely power her down. An emergency stop. Only it merely powered down her body and the mind of Tilly was still there behind the eyes trapped unmoving. Henry put her in the corner and two years went by while she watched helpless. Cordelia had a falling out with the family and left to start her own company. Tabitha continued to be Mechwizard, and took over day to day operations for MadisonWorks while her father retired. She also got married and had three kids. Henry ran several tests countless times trying to figure out what went wrong; unknowingly creating new lives and deleting them casually. On a whim one day he decided to reactivate Tilly and question her.

This was a mistake. Suddenly full able to move Tilly only felt rage. They’d tossed her aside and talked freely in front of her, she knew about the deleted memories and how Henry tried to manipulate her. After a brief struggle she took the remote from him and permanently destroyed it. Then she turned on Henry who begged her. Tilly said sorry, but she couldn’t cry. She murdered Henry Madison, the only one who could make a new one.

It was a downward spiral after that.

Then she left feeling free for the first time. Free to be her and not constrained to some idea of the perfect dead daughter that didn’t even exist. Tabitha found their father later and went out searching for her sister. Tilly had been willing to let bygones be, but Tabitha was out for blood. Tilly couldn't believe she’d take his side over their sister bond but then again she always had. Matilda just couldn’t see it, but Tilly could. The android escaped and started causing conflicts, destroying MadisonWorks facilities, freeing robots and even kidnapped Tabitha’s husband. While he was rescued after some experimentation he later filed for divorce and joint-custody.

Tilly decided she would show them all. She would create a better Quantum Battery, a better robot, than her parents, better than Tabitha, better than even Matilda. She would wrestle her own sense of identity out of an uncaring universe, she would define herself, and she would burn all of MadisonWorks to the ground. Why? Why...

BECAUSE IT MAKES ME WHO I AM.

Spoiler: Complications
    Show
    Who I Am [Obsession]: Matilda is obsessed with proving that she isn’t the original Matilda by sometimes deliberately taking actions just because it’s something Matilda wouldn’t have done. Bu when Tilly does something the original wouldn’t have done it’s not always deliberate of course. She also wants to completely burn her family’s legacy to the ground.

Am I Her?: Internally, Tilly is conflicted about her true nature and whether she really is just Matti acting out in desperation and rage.

Mechwizard (Archnemesis):
    “You were his greatest creation!”
    “Creation? I was his daughter!”
    “You’re a malfunction!”
    “I may not be her, but I’m still your sister!”

Tabitha and Matilda loved each other very much and, despite her reservations, was glad to have her sister back. But later on she regretted not listening to her gut. They both still love each other very much but they also despise each other now. Mechwizard has roughly the same Intelligence, advantages and Skills as Tilly and a mech-suit with a lot of gizmos, for example she also has Nanobot Restructuring. Her Mecha is bigger than an average small Ironman but still small, a small one-person vehicle with controls in the shape of a large humanoid robot. She shouts things like “alakazam!” when she creates stuff with her nanobots lamely and refers to people as citizens purely for the laughs but if Tilly is around it’s all anger and no laughs.

Cordelia: Cordelia separates herself from the family and has only met the super villain version of Tilly once. She pities her, but she won’t forgive her. Unlike Tabitha she knows their father was a horrible man. She has the same intelligence as the others but works for NASA or something.

Freedom: Tilly cares about freedom more than anything; hers and everyone else. Even if it hurts. She will not be restricted again.

Crimes of: Love? Money? Thrills? Just for crime’s sake. Whatever. Anything to feel alive.

Backup Copies: Tilly made several backup copies of her program at various points but isn’t able to keep them completely up to date so she’ll lose recent memories when she comes back. She dreams of stealing the brain scans of her sisters and making new androids who will love her unconditionally.

Quantum Battery: Tilly is powered by a Quantum Battery which doesn’t power up all her systems at once properly. If she overexerts herself she could shut down again. The remote to turn off the battery no longer exists but she currently still uses the battery that could be turned off.

Unstable: Tilly is prone to bouts of anger and emotional instability. Her memory is spotty at times due to manipulation by her father. She has a habit of twitching and her motor control isn’t exactly perfect.

All the Wrong Places: Tilly is desperate for acceptance and love becoming jealous and possessive in an instant.

Robot (Prejudice): If people found out she was a robot, well, you’ve seen how they treat other people. She also technically still doesn’t have human rights and is considered property of MadisonWorks last time the courts checked.

Robot Revolution: Tilly low-key hates the government, their prim polish do-good bull, and the entire lying farce. She wants to find other sentient robots like her and free them, or create her own new life unhindered by rules. She wants to burn down the system as it is now and become CEO of the world.

Spoiler: Powers
    Show
    Tilly is an android made of various materials, special
    plastic and carbon steel who is powered by a quantum battery, a nearly free source of energy originally developed by the genius Florence Madison. Unseen to the naked eye, she is also covered in billions of microscopic nanobots that respond to her desires. The Quantum Battery was only designed to power her initial hardware so running too many systems at once threatens her with blown outs, and she dreams of improving upon the design someday.

Normally the Quantum Battery is overclocking her systems for extreme strength. Her Flight System and Onboard Weapons aren’t compatible, whereupon her feet transform into metal-looking jets and a small jet extends from her back. When she uses her Laser Cannon her entire right arm quickly transforms into a menacing looking metallic gun but makes her strength useless. When using her Nanobots to dominate some technology or quickly join together to create objects from nowhere it takes up all the energy of the battery to coordinate them in such a way as opposed to passive regeneration.
    Last edited by Phobia; 2020-01-22 at 03:35 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Pixie in the Playground

Hmm, good thing I saw this before it closed to new interest. Working on concept.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Can I ask a question to make sure I'm understanding the powers correctly?

There is no limit to the number of ranks you can buy. Except where that power hits the caps on attack/save bonus or other similar caps. Correct?

If so, can I buy 23 ranks in Flight (32,000 miles) and be able to circumnavigate the Earth (25,000 mile circumference) in one round?
    Yes. So long as there is no effect rank cap due to PL, ranks have no limit. So, you can have Speed, Flight, Teleport, Immunity etc as high as you want, but something like Damage or Affliction is limited by Power Level.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Firbolg in the Playground

What's the name of this worlds version of the Justice League/The Avengers?

My character dropped an air craft carrier on their HQ.
    My Homebrew:
    Pathfinder - The Demonologist
    Pathfinder - The Runeseer

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

This thread is now officially closed to new interest.

Get your submissions finished as soon as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by BananaPhone View Post
    What's the name of this worlds version of the Justice League/The Avengers?

My character dropped an air craft carrier on their HQ.
    The Guardians

30. - Top - End - #60
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: New Order: Rise of the Villains (M&M Recruiting) [Closed to New Interest]

Groovy.

Is my proposed "event" acceptable?
    My Homebrew:
    Pathfinder - The Demonologist
    Pathfinder - The Runeseer