Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: New Order: Rise of the Villains (M&M Recruiting) [Closed to New Interest]

Quote Originally Posted by BananaPhone View Post
    Groovy.

Is my proposed "event" acceptable?
    Just absolutely road roller them

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: New Order: Rise of the Villains (M&M Recruiting)

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyvurg View Post
    Yes. So long as there is no effect rank cap due to PL, ranks have no limit. So, you can have Speed, Flight, Teleport, Immunity etc as high as you want, but something like Damage or Affliction is limited by Power Level.
    Brill, thanks.
    Zenithbold-Bard by Lord Raziere | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: New Order: Rise of the Villains (M&M Recruiting) [Closed to New Interest]

On the other hand... note that nobody goes more than 2-4 points below their defensive caps (with the exception of the Mimic and Shapeshifter, who are expected to use their Variable power to make up the difference), and never in more than one or defenses.
    Not true.
    Battlesuit: Fortitude 6 + Will 8 = 14. 6 lower than the cap.
    Energy Controller: Fortitude 7 and Will 8 = 15. 5 lower than cap. AND Toughness 12 + Parry 4 = 16 4 lower than cap.
    There were many others who didn't hit all of their caps but were typically less than four away.

It's also worth noting:
    Crime Fighter, Speedster, and weapon master don't hit offensive caps.
    And as far as skill caps, only the gadgeteer comes even remotely close to a skill cap and that is with their technology skill which is capped.
    Last edited by gac3; 2020-01-20 at 07:14 AM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

I actually meant none of them go more than 2-4 points below the PL cap in any single defense, rather than the composite Fortitude+Will or Defense+Toughness scores, but yeah, I can see how that comes across awkwardly. You see what I'm getting at, though: the energy controller has poor defenses, but poor in this case means 2-3 points under PL, as opposed to dumping some of them entirely. It might seem thematic for a telepath not to put any points into Toughness, but it's not a good idea unless you're making a noncombatant.

Attack caps have a little more wiggle room - on a character that's supposed to be a decent fighter I usually like to have at least one offensive power hitting the cap, but there's a lot more room for flexibility here (e.g. a power that is low-rank but has a ton of extras stapled on, or someone who relies on illusions or some other trick as their main tactic).

Skill caps are a different thing entirely; I don't think there's any consensus about how much one ought to invest in a skill to make it worthwhile. Some groups will expect Persuasion and Deception at +20 on their silver-tongued tricksters, others will feel like +10 is sufficient. As long as a group is more or less on the same page about this, either one works.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

5. - Top - End - #65

What bothers me more is that there seems to be little to no variation in the base attributes thus far.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Taking attributes just for fluff is expensive. Once I'm done fiddling I might end up with enough leftover points to round my character with DEX, INT and PRE scores closer to what he should have, but I'm not optimistic about that. And my character has cheap powers. Try building something that needs two separate PL-capped arrays without resorting to optimisation tricks like dumping attributes.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isnít D&D, flaming the troll doesnít help either.

7. - Top - End - #67

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Taking attributes just for fluff is expensive. Once I'm done fiddling I might end up with enough leftover points to round my character with DEX, INT and PRE scores closer to what he should have, but I'm not optimistic about that. And my character has cheap powers. Try building something that needs two separate PL-capped arrays without resorting to optimisation tricks like dumping attributes.
    I just mean, most of the builds so far have Stamina and nothing else. It isn't the only useful attribute.

8. - Top - End - #68

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by gac3 View Post
    I just mean, most of the builds so far have Stamina and nothing else. It isn't the only useful attribute.
    I believe mine and Hexen's (and others who I haven't read) don't but yeah I can see that being unrealistic like 'oh yeah my character is high superhuman in stamina but has all the strength, agility, dexterity, intelligence, fighting and awareness as Mark from sales'
    Last edited by Jumbus; 2020-01-20 at 04:10 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

Not true.
    Battlesuit: Fortitude 6 + Will 8 = 14. 6 lower than the cap.
    Energy Controller: Fortitude 7 and Will 8 = 15. 5 lower than cap. AND Toughness 12 + Parry 4 = 16 4 lower than cap.
    There were many others who didn't hit all of their caps but were typically less than four away.

It's also worth noting:
    Crime Fighter, Speedster, and weapon master don't hit offensive caps.
    And as far as skill caps, only the gadgeteer comes even remotely close to a skill cap and that is with their technology skill which is capped.
    The presented archetypes are not good builds.

It pretty much is. Dexterity 12 is 24 points, Dodge 12 is 12. Agility 12 is 24 points, Ranged Attack skill 12 is 6. Close Combat skill plus Parry is still cheaper than Fighting 12. Presence is completely useless, getting it to 12 costs 24 points, getting ALL the skills that use it (which are the only things that use it) to 12 costs 18 points for the lot.
    Last edited by Rhyvurg; 2020-01-20 at 04:31 PM.
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Ethan Hayes AKA Nemean

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    Ethan Hayes had a fairly unremarkable early life. He was raise in a stable, middle-class, law-abiding family, and received a well-rounded education. Attending a high-ranked university to study psychology and linguistics, he progressed into graduate studies focused on the process of language acquisition. At some point in his research, he stumbled across the concept of using altered states of consciousness to accelerate learning. What little research existed suggested that such a process would be unreliable at best, but Ethan was convinced that the concept was workable. However, as a graduate student proposing work of a dubious nature, he was unable to find funding through standard channels. The military were more open minded, viewing it as a potentially useful method of preparing soldiers with local languages and tactical information, but they were still unwilling to invest without evidence that it actually worked.

Determined to prove that the concept could work, and conscious that his career would suffer if he failed, Ethan started to discard procedure and professional ethics. Limited in terms of resources, and lacking proper test subjects, he self-experimented with chemical dosages and extreme sleep deprivation. The end result was a mixed success. He never achieved the simple, reliable, learning technique that he set out to create. Instead, the great mental and physical stress he was subject to awakened latent superhuman abilities. Suddenly blessed with potent sound manipulation powers, he considered the result far greater than what he was aiming for.

From here, the descent into villainy was a gradual process. He was never idealistic enough to be a hero, especially when it didnít pay the bills, but he lacked any real goal to begin with. At first, he simply practiced with his powers and observed the actions of others with such abilities. Quickly, he came to the conclusion that the current spread of superpowers gave a small group of people undue influence over the rest of humanity. Rather than taking this as evidence of the superiority of metahumans, he decided that it was an injustice. These capes had such an influence on society because regular people lacked the ability to fight back. Drawing from his own experiences, Ethan determined that powers manifest in the face of adversity. Armed with this idea, he set about on his goal of empowering as much of humanity as possible.

Over the course of five years, his long term goal hasnít changed, but he has evolved into a serious pragmatist. While orchestrating controlled catastrophes has triggered powers in a few individuals, he is far from the dream of pushing humanity to a higher level, without too great a sacrifice. Furthermore, the lines he has crossed have made him a wanted fugitive, and he has had to become adept at escaping capture. For now, he bides his time, gathers money and resources, and searches for more effective methods to achieve his ultimate goal.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show

PL12/180pp
    Abilities (44pp)
    Strength: 2

Stamina: 6

Agility: 6

Dexterity: 0

Fighting: 0

Intellect: 0

Awareness: 8

Presence: 0

Defences (28pp)
    Dodge: 12

Parry: 12

Fortitude: 10

Toughness: 12

Will: 14

Skills (20pp)
    Deception 10 (+10)
    Expertise (Criminal, Current Events, History, Law, Linguistics, Philosophy, Powers, Psychology, Streetwise) 0 (+10)
    Investigation 8 (+8)
    Persuasion 10 (+10)
    Stealth 4 (+10)
    Technology 8 (+8)

Advantages (10pp)
    All-out Attack
    Equipment 1
    Hide in Plain Sight
    Improved Initiative
    Jack-of-All-Trades
    Languages 3 (English, French, German, Mandarin, Russian, Spanish)
    Luck 1
    Well-Informed

Powers (78pp)
    Brawler: Damage 2, Accurate 6, Innate, Strength-based, Variable Descriptor 2 (Physical) [11pp]

Educated: Enhanced Intellect 10, Limited 2 (Expertise), Quirk (Only Applies to One Expertise Skill Per Rank) [4pp]

Nemean Hide: Protection 6; Speed 2 [8pp]

Sound Manipulation: Array [40pp]
    -Buzzsaw: Enhanced Strength 8, Limited (Damage); Brawler Gains Improved Critical 4, Multiattack 12, Secondary Effect 12
    -Mighty Roar: Damage 12, Burst Area, Ranged
    -Projection: Illusion 12 (Hearing), Independent, Selective
    -Shatter Strike: Weaken Toughness 12 (Fortitude), Also Affects Objects, Cone Area
    -Vertigo: Affliction 12 (Will; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated), Cloud Area, Cumulative

Sonic Processing: Array [15pp]
    -Auditory Analysis: Senses 6 (Accurate Hearing, Analytical, Extended, Rapid; Ultra-Hearing); Mind Reading 12, Hearing-Dependent, Limited (Surface Thoughts)
    -Vibratory Drilling: Burrowing 6, Ranged
    -Wave Jump: Teleport 6
    -Whispering: Communication 3 (Auditory)

Equipment
    Burner Phone: Feature 5 (Audio/Video Recorder, Camera, Computer, Phone)

Combat
    Initiative: +10

Brawler: +12/Close/DC19
    Buzzsaw: +12/Close/DC27, Multiattack, Secondary Effect
    Mighty Roar: Ranged/DC27, Burst Area
    Shatter Strike: Ranged/DC22, Cone Area
    Vertigo: Close/DC22, Cloud Area

Spoiler: Descriptors
    Show
    Brawler [Talent][Variable- Physical]: Over the course of years as a villain, Ethan has become a competent brawler, with his fists and a variety of improvised weapons, meaning he is not completely reliant on his powers.

Educated [Talent]: Thanks to a broad, high-quality education, Ethan has a deep knowledge of a variety of topics.

Nemean Hide [Biological][Technological]: Aware that his natural powers didnít grant the durability to go toe-to-toe with high-level opposition, Ethan sought out a black market biotech clinic. Through genetic treatment to toughen muscle and sinew, and carbon plates inserted over vital areas, he has become much harder to hurt.

Sound Manipulation [Psychic][Sound]
    -Buzzsaw: Surrounding his hands or a weapon with a high frequency sonic field turn them into potent cutting weapons. Inducing vibrations in the target can cause it to tear itself apart even after the initial strike.
    -Mighty Roar: A focused blast of sound can smash objects and do serious damage to opponents.
    -Projection: Sounds can easily be re-created or altered, to trick and mislead opponents.
    -Shatter Strike: An intense beam of ultrasound is capable of liquifying solid matter.
    -Vertigo: Sound waves upset the inner ear, causing dizziness and disorientation.

Sonic Processing [Psychic][Sound]
    -Auditory Analysis: Sound manipulation powers naturally come hand in hand with enhanced hearing. Paying careful attention to particular words and tone of voice provides a great deal of insight into the mental state of an individual.
    -Vibratory Drilling: Sound can be used to bore through solid materials, creating tunnels even at a distance.
    -Wave Jump: Momentarily compressing into a sound wave allows for rapid jumps over a short distance.
    -Whispering: Projecting sound directly into the ear of an individual allows for discrete and long-distance communication.

Spoiler: Complications
    Show
    Empowered World [Motivation- Change]: Nemeanís overarching goal is to create a world where everyone has superhuman abilities, and these powers are not concentrated in the hands of a few. He believes that forcing people into extreme situations is the best way to stimulate powers, and is looking for a way to reliably enact such changes on a large scale.

Medium [Power Loss]: Sound waves require a medium to travel through. None of Nemeanís sound-based powers can be used in the absence of such a medium.

Mercy [Quirk]: Nemean isnít needlessly cruel. There are limits to how far he will go, and generally considers the truly helpless to be off limits. Furthermore, while he is willing to kill when necessary, it is rarely his main plan. After all, he pushes people through hell to improve them, which is redundant if they end up dead.

Resources [Motivation- Money]: His dream of a fully empowered world is a long way off, and Nemean acknowledges that. He is enough of a pragmatist to come up with short term plans based around getting the money and resources required to support his real goal.
    Last edited by Lord of Gifts; 2020-01-21 at 11:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Gifts View Post
    Well, I go by Annatar on one or two other places.
    You're going to have one hell of a time proposing.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

It pretty much is. Dexterity 12 is 24 points, Dodge 12 is 12. Agility 12 is 24 points, Ranged Attack skill 12 is 6. Close Combat skill plus Parry is still cheaper than Fighting 12. Presence is completely useless, getting it to 12 costs 24 points, getting ALL the skills that use it (which are the only things that use it) to 12 costs 18 points for the lot.
    Stamina's not the only useful attribute, but it's the only useful one that everyone can use. Most of the other ones technically break even, if you compare the cost of buying up all the defenses/skills/etc that they boost to the cost of the attribute... but only if you actually want everything that the attribute gives. If you don't care about the skills (or any other part of the package), then some of those points end up wasted.

Spoiler: Breakdown
    Show
    Agility gives bonuses to Dodge, Acrobatics, Stealth, and initiative. Technically, this is more than cost-effective; you're getting 2.25 points' worth of value out of every 2 points you put into it. Stealth is a classic skill for certain character types, even if it's sort of overshadowed by concealment powers. Acrobatics... is usually just a fluff thing, honestly. I appreciate that there's an incentive to go for the package, but most people still won't find it appealing.

Awareness gives bonuses to Will, Insight and Perception. This is solid - both of those skills are useful for practically anyone. Investing a few points here is pretty painless.

Dexterity gives bonuses to ranged attack, Sleight of Hand, and Vehicles. This is... bad. Buying specific combat skills (or using the Accurate extra) is a lot cheaper than buying general attack bonuses, and these are two of the most niche skills in the game. They don't even go together particularly well - I can imagine characters who want Sleight of Hand (mostly for fluff purposes), and characters who want Vehicles (ditto), but there's very little overlap between the two.

Fighting gives bonuses to close attack and Parry. The attack bonus has the same issue with Dexterity, although it's at least stapled to a useful defense. If you were going to buy the general Close Combat advantage rather than a specific skill already, then Fighting is okay, I guess.

Intellect gives bonuses to Expertise, Investigation, Technology, and Treatment. This is a weird case because Expertise is actually a set of 20+ related skills. If you want to play a polymath who knows a ton of miscellaneous things, buying up Intellect and taking Eidetic Memory or Jack of all Trades is the best way to do it. If not, you probably don't care about it much.

Presence gives bonuses to Deception, Intimidation, and Persuasion. This is simply not cost-effective, you're spending 2 points and getting 1.5 points' worth of skills. Unless your GM adds something to it, it just isn't worthwhile.

Stamina gives bonuses to Fortitude and Toughness. Absolutely everyone needs these two things. Technically this only breaks even, but since Toughness can't be bought directly and both Defensive Roll and Protection come with drawbacks, it's a good investment.

Strength gives bonuses to Athletics, Strength-based damage and grappling, and carrying capacity. This works out fine; not everyone will want it, but if you're playing a super-strong character then buying Strength is the way to go.

Stamina's good for everyone. Strength, Intellect and Awareness are perfectly fine for the character concepts that want them. Fighting and Agility aren't great, but not too painful. Dexterity and Presence are just not worth it.

12. - Top - End - #72

Lizardfolk

From what I see this will be a primarily story role playing campaign. Presence gives Intimidation, Persuasion and Deception all incredibly strong abilities in the right context so it isn't useless at all. Also do you not see a problem with your super soldier having all the intimidation factor of Mark from sales (which is to say no one is going to be afraid of him unless you start firing). Because roll playing wise I wouldn't think a character like that is very threatening immediately.

Mechanically speaking this makes sense but story wise I don't think its good having your character be auto win in some aspects but auto lose in others
    Last edited by Jumbus; 2020-01-20 at 07:14 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73

I always start with high attributes and then lower them as I need more points and they get lower.. and lower.. as I need more essential things for my build. I started with varied stats, a five, threes, twos, ten intelligence, but it wasnít in the cards to let me get anything else. I even had to drop this awesome idea I had for a Sustained Damage attack, and fold two of my arrays into one. At least you canít say I have high stamina.
    Last edited by Phobia; 2020-01-20 at 10:52 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74

The presented archetypes are not good builds.
    They might not have been optimized but the conversation had been about the creators intentions and they seemed to be the best examples of that. Which is, not optimized.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbus View Post
    From what I see this will be a primarily story role playing campaign. Presence gives Intimidation, Persuasion and Deception all incredibly strong abilities in the right context so it isn't useless at all. Also do you not see a problem with your super soldier having all the intimidation factor of Mark from sales (which is to say no one is going to be afraid of him unless you start firing). Because roll playing wise I wouldn't think a character like that is very threatening immediately.
    Intimidation, Persuasion and Deception are all pretty good skills! The problem with Presence is that it actually costs more than the skills it gives you. Presence 10 costs 20 points; buying thirty skill points to split between those three skills costs only 15. Presence doesn't do anything but boost those skills, so you're essentially spending 5 points on nothing. It's frustrating, from a game design perspective.

A supersoldier in particular is someone I'd imagine with low/no Presence, but a bunch of ranks in Intimidation specifically. The system works fine for that concept. However, if you want to make someone who's generally charismatic, then it'd make sense fluffwise to give them high Presence - only the rules punish you for doing that. It's aggravating, which is why a lot of veteran M&M players treat Abilities as a mechanical package with little or no fluff significance.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

Alright, my crunch is basically done. I'm not 100% happy with it. I think my behemoth aspect is crap and perdition could probably be better. But I can't come up with anything better.

Working on background and complications, should have them done soon.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Stamina's not the only useful attribute, but it's the only useful one that everyone can use. Most of the other ones technically break even, if you compare the cost of buying up all the defenses/skills/etc that they boost to the cost of the attribute... but only if you actually want everything that the attribute gives. If you don't care about the skills (or any other part of the package), then some of those points end up wasted.

Stamina's good for everyone. Strength, Intellect and Awareness are perfectly fine for the character concepts that want them. Fighting and Agility aren't great, but not too painful. Dexterity and Presence are just not worth it.
    Other stats are situationally useful, I'm talking about characters in general, I don't mean for this to apply to every possible thing you could build. Agility adds to Stealth, but what if you don't care about stealth? It adds to Initiative, but there's an Advantage that's better at it. 2 points per +1 Initiative is not as good at 1 point for +4. Awareness is...fine, but I can get the same benefits buying Will and the two skills that use it directly. Fighting is good-ish, if your character is going to be in melee a lot, but an invisible teleporting sniper won't be very often, and there are still cheaper ways of getting the same benefits. Strength is good if you're making a paragon or powerhouse, if not just get Damage/Accurate and a few ranks of lifting strength. Intellect is the only one as useful as Stamina, but only on characters who will be using those skills. If not, what's the point? But I will stipulate that if you get Jack-of-All-Trades, Intellect goes from meh to HOLY CR*P THAT'S GOOD.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbus View Post

Mechanically speaking this makes sense but story wise I don't think its good having your character be auto win in some aspects but auto lose in others
    You can get all of that by buying the skill ranks directly, and you can get all three Presence skills to the PL cap cheaper than if you'd bought Presence. Ability scores are 2 points per +1. Skills are 1 point per +2.

Spoiler: Example
    Show

Presence +12 (24ppts)
    Deception +22 (6ppts)
    Intimidation +22 (6ppts)
    Total, 36 points

Deception +22 (11ppts)
    Intimidation +22 (11ppts)
    Persuasion +22 (11ppts)
    Total, 33 points
    Last edited by Rhyvurg; 2020-01-21 at 04:57 AM.

18. - Top - End - #78

Fully finished with my character.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Mechanics of the Speed Wraith should be done.

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    I wish you could be

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Player Name Character Description
    Glitchy Wren Winters / Lady Demona Herald of the Nether
    Rhyvurg Michael "Trace" Jones Super soldier turned mercenary
    BananaPhone Madeline Traeger / Hexen Magnokinetic bio-terrorist
    Kobold-Bard Street Justice I AM THE LAW
    Jumbus Lagoon Undercity creature
    Cazero Wraith Maxima Alien speedster ghost
    Phobia Matilda Madison / Anathema Evil robotic duplicate
    Lord of Gifts Ethan Hayes / Nemean Sonokinetic scientist
    AmberVael Asenath Wyte / Revenant Vengeful necromancer

Started doing serious work on my character today and decided to put together a table to help me make decisions, and I figured I might as well post it for everyone else as well!

Edit: Completed a sheet for my character and added Revenant to the table.
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2020-01-23 at 12:15 AM.

21. - Top - End - #81

Any word on when people are getting picked?

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Street Justice should be finished. Seems the forums are back on a more stable footing too, which is nice.
    Zenithbold-Bard by Lord Raziere | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm still experiencing a lot of server issues. Can't log in most of the time. Hopefully it will stabilize soon.

I am still reviewing sheets when I can get on. Hoping to have characters picked soon.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Firbolg in the Playground

Because of the server issues, I haven't been able to finish anything. So, I'll be withdrawing for the time being.
    My Homebrew:
    Pathfinder - The Demonologist
    Pathfinder - The Runeseer

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Due to the ongoing server issues and the nature of the game, I'd support the previous suggestion to move this to discord. Assuming that works for everyone else, of course.

26. - Top - End - #86

Lizardfolk

Although the forums seem alright at the moment I support the Discord thing.

Also updated Lagoons look and added current goals

27. - Top - End - #87

Hope this works out

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Still interested too in case anyone's wondering.

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    I wish you could be

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

I'm still interested too.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

So, I totally forgot about this since the forums were down for so long. That's my bad.

I would still be up for running this if those of you who applied are still interested. I am even willing to attempt moving the game to discord in order to facilitate a more mature game. Although I have never really used discord, so I'm not sure how to go about doing that.