New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] Gunpowder and Galleons: a Pathfinder Story.

Nathanael decided to head to Zax's office. If he didn't run into the artificer's assistant on the way, it seemed as good a place as any to start looking.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Elum, Harden, Ajax and Ela:
    You arrive at the nest, an abandoned warehouse decorated with various violet banderols, entirely painted in a dark red color, you can see a few women sunbathing, swimming in the bay, washing their very fine clothes made from expensive light seethrough materials. This is either a public beach area, or a bathhouse.

What is more odd is that you see a tall slender brown haired man stalking in some distance to those ladies. He obviously holds some distance but is very interested in the women and the area.

Spoiler
    Show
    It is Ajax.

Nathanael:
    You knock at Master Zax' office. As you hear no response but the sound of hammers, saws, and a bit of bubbling liquids, you decide to enter. You see a human male, examining a weight suspended on what you can only assume is an extremely thin thread of brown rope. The whole workshop smells of hints of sulfur, green tea and cumon. By no logic should that thread hold that much weight.

Zax seems entirely distracted, and is taking notes.

Sarlu and Daisy:
    The barkeep smiles a wide grin and serves you two a large bottle of a passable grog. The type of beverage that you enjoy now, and regret in the morning. For my two favorite customers. He grins.

Spoiler: If you decide to pick the bottle up:
    Show
    "The master awaits you at the mill tonight." is written onto a paper cleverly covered by the bottle.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Colossus in the Playground

Spoiler: Perception DC 16
    Show
    Behind the fur, Ela's blushing.

Ah... This is, the, ah, Nest? Ela asks. Harden, do you remember why you needed to come here?
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Nathanael stood back politely while he waited for the artificer's attention, but he couldn't help staring at the uncanny thread.

Spoiler
    Show

If it takes more than a moment to get noticed, or if no one else approaches, he will say:
    "Pardon me. Master Zax? I'm Nathanael. I was told you have work for a gunsmith?"
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2020-01-19 at 01:52 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Daisy

Daisy traces the words with her finger, silently mouthing the words. "The master, eh? Friend of yours?".

"I'm up for an adventure"
    . There's bound to be coin to be made, but that part she leaves unsaid.
    Semper ludens.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Spoiler: Perception DC 16
    Show
    Behind the fur, Ela's blushing.

Ah... This is, the, ah, Nest? Ela asks. Harden, do you remember why you needed to come here?
    Harden bumbles a bit. "Well, I was talking to... someone. I might have drank too much and not remember much. But it was some type of opportunity that sounded great at the time. Just said I needed to find the Sparrow and talk to him. Honestly, this could be a waste of time, but for some reason, I don't think so..."

Perception: (1d20+9)[28]

Harden notices many things, from the people to Ela blushing. He chooses not to saying anything as he doesn't want to embarrass his new friend any further.
    Last edited by The BBEG; 2020-01-19 at 03:06 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Oddly, Sarlu's thoughts aligned with the brash piratical halfling in front of him. If only for a moment. His bemused smirk dropped as he sneered. One man could claim the title "Master" over me but he's not one for such titles. And he'd be wrong even if he tried. With a slight gesture, he motioned for barkeep to come back over. In a low, sultry whisper he spoke with the man. You, sir, are a great barkeep. Truly, one of the best in Iberis. Why, I'd say you are so astounding at your profession that you'd recognize every patron whose graced these halls! I'd love to shake your hand. Sarlu offer his hand for a shake. Wedged between his thumb and palm is a platinum piece, placed such that only the barkeep and those who are looking for it could see it and the coin could easily change hands.

Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show
    To get the barkeep to loosen his lips. With a bribe, of course. (1d20+9)[29]
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

8. - Top - End - #38

Right, yes, um... I guess we should start asking, she says, and heads towards the lanky man with brown hair. Excuse me, sir-may we have a moment of your time?

Show
    Show

Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Ajax's eyes home in on the speaker. Who would address me out here? Begger-No. Advanced Scouts of the other party? Nothing to do but find out

His thumbs drop into his pants pockets, the rest of his hand laying on the sides of his legs.

In what manner?

10. - Top - End - #40

Ela says We're looking for the Sparrow-the leader of this nest, I would hazard to guess. Do you know of them?

Show
    Show

Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Ajax
    I do not,
    What nest do you speak of?

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Daisy

Daisy jumps down to the floor and opens her knapsack. She straps on a bandolier of hiltless, pared down throwing knives.
    Semper ludens.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Elum, Harden, Ajax and Ela
    You see a red-headed courtesan exiting from the former workshop area. She pulls a few heavy curtains aside and struts into view.

Spoiler
    Show

Lovely, the party of four has finally arrived. May I guide you to the cámara de aguja? Sparrow is waiting inside.

Sarlu and Daisy:
    The barkeep pockets the gold piece you offer him and he says: The master's Zax, obviously. The guy is trying to run a business, he is qualified but lacks the work force. He has made himself enemies with the nobles and the merchants, leaving him with little backup. But he pays pretty well. Better than you. Consider yourself lucky I was tasked with bringing you to him. Oh, and Daisy? You have the night off. 'The Master' has replaced you for now.

Nathanael

Lower it, we are done here. If the material survives the tests I ordered you to do, we can triple the weight limit of the pulleys. Zax says. Without turning towards you, the artificer continues. Ah yes, a gunsmith you say? Do you have experience with ship cannons as well?

14. - Top - End - #44

I... Suppose, Ela says, a touch suspicious. Lead the way, ma'am.

Show
    Show

Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Sarlu silently glared at the barkeep's not-so-subtle jab at the size of his bribe. Word of advice; the attitude of yours? Drives customers away. Paying customers. Indignantly, he stood and walked out of the bar in a huff paying no heed to the halfling if she followed or not. At the very least, he'd probably see her again at this Zax's person's place of business. Whoever that is.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

"More specialized in personal weapons, sir. But I was a naval armsman for a time."

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Harden follows Ela and the red-head. "Maybe my memory is better than I remember." Harden is actually a bit surprised this is working.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Ajax says nothing to correct the lady's mistake, and follows the others in.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Elum follows curiously.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Daisy

"There is something fishy going on here. But it seems a lot more interesting than what I was going to do. Seems like there has been some gold spread around already, and you don't butter up the pan for just turnips".

Daisy rushes after Sarlu, her short legs pumping to keep up with him. "Slow down, please!" she says, as she tugs at his coattail.
    Semper ludens.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

As you follow the courtesan inside, the building opens predictably into a great square room. To remove the working mood a bit, the decorator decided to hang up copious amounts of transparent cloth, compartimenting the area into "rooms". You can hear giggling; you can hear men and women enjoying themselves.

Just follow me. Business first, pleasure second. she says as she confidently climbs a steep staircase in the back portion of the brothel. This might've been the elevated foreman's office, you reckon. There are windows pointing towards the hall, but they're covered by the same thin red cloth. The office really looks like an office. There are no comfortable amenities, like you would have expected from a brothel, even if it was the room of the madam.

There are six stools provided around a round wooden table partially warped by the humid air. A double barreled pistol and a rapier are presented on the wall. Your guide's demeanor entirely changes as she has closed the door. Now are you interested in a job? she says all while unscrupulously undressing herself revealing a chain shirt made from a silvery metal. She undoes her purse and throws it onto the table. The bag spills out platin coins, several dozen. These are yours, regardless of your choice. There's more to come if you accept.

Nathanael, Daisy and Sarlu:

Master Zax continues: It matters little. Same principle, different size. When my other visitors arrive, we should discuss your employment. Heathcote? Bring me the chest. Want a drink? They should be here in the next half an hour.

Meanwhile, the barkeep ignores your admonishment. I'll consider your advice when you are able to pay me more than my other benefactors. As Daisy and Sarlu head out, you can see a large half-orc trotting towards the inn. If your experiences are indicative of tonight, the new guy will struggle. Your patrons always were easier dealt with by subterfuge and charisma than sheer brutality.

As you continue towards the harbor, you take a turn towards the cargo lifts just before entering the area itself. As you enter the workshop of Zax, one of his apprentices fiddling with an experimental pulley, shouts at you. Hey you two. The master has awaited you. Regardless of the surprisingly unsecretive nature of the job, you continue towards the office of Master Zax. As you enter, you are welcomed with the sight of a waiting human, bored out of his mind, and an unmistakingly busy alchemist and artificer.

Welcome! Now that our party is complete, please sit down. Heathcote, I do not want to be disturbed. The servant bows, closing the door behind himself. Now, are you interested in a job? Iberis is suffering, and you might just be the first step to its salvation.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

Daisy

"Well, if you are looking for someone to preach the good word about salvation, I think you got the wrong halfling. But I don't think that's what you are talking about". Daisy leans forward, ready to listen.
    Semper ludens.

23. - Top - End - #53

I... Um... Ela says, shocked at the money. I'll certainly hear you out, for a sum like that, but I try to use appropriate caution. In other words... What's the job, before I accept or deny it?

Show
    Show

Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

"I'm interested in a job. Salvation I can't promise, 'less it can be had by shooting the right people."

Spoiler
    Show

Ironically, I'm currently listening to a song whose chorus includes the lines, "I am the Gunman, I bring salvation on this day."
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2020-02-25 at 12:44 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Sarlu turned his nose up slightly. I need no job. But salvation of Iberis? That I can get behind.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Ajax looks at intently at the prospective client trying to read her. As the miss said, what do you seek of us?

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

You maybe wouldn't realize it, but our great nation is at the brink of a civil war. the Sparrow says with a grim undertone. There are forces rallied against the king, against royalty and nobility alike. And to be fair, the commoners have a good point. But I will die before I let anything happen to this nation. Your objective is simple. There is a powder mill outside of town. My sources told me, someone is trying to sabotage it tonight. Your objective is it to stop the saboteurs. Your methods will not be critizised. If you accept, you will be rewarded handsomely.

The woman crosses her arms, creating a contrast between the soft forms of her body and dress and the hard look on her face and resolute demeanor.

Nathanael, Daisy and Sarlu:

You did see our country is a bit in a merchantile war right now. Merchants and nobles tug for power, undermining the basis of this country. But the claims of the merchants, of the common men, are just. They want representation for their hard work, their effort to put Iberis before other nations. Zax' face darkens. But the rebels are about to do something extremely dangerous. See, there is a powder mill outside of town. Both sides are struggling to control it, with a majority of the money invested belonging to me. Me, who is both noble and a merchant. So of course I try to mediate. Now the highly volatile nature of gun powder makes an explosion pretty common in there. But the situation right now needs just a small nudge to go from conflict to civil war. We want to avoid that. I am sending you to protect it. Success will keep you on my payroll. So what do you say?

28. - Top - End - #58

Yes. Of course, Ela says. A war would be terrible. Preventing that is paramount.

Show
    Show

Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Ajax
    Of course I accept, order must be maintained.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Daisy

"Protecting a powder mill, eh? Sure. I'll do it. Buuut..... That's dangerous. So if anything looks fishy, I might get a little... overly zealous. Just saying."
    Semper ludens.