New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Forum Dark Skin/Theme

Is there any way to set the display to have a dark theme? I've been to settings and the only thing available is the Sand theme. I recently had eye surgery and reading with such a bright theme/skin is rough. I use other forums as well, including one that runs on a black/grey theme and that's much easier on the eyes.

If anyone knows of a way to do this, whether using normal methods or through self-programmed workarounds, I'd be grateful for your help.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Forum Dark Skin/Theme

Google Chrome seems to have options for websites that do not offer a dark mode or dark colour scheme.

In Firefox you can go to settings->fonts &colors. Here you can choose colours for fonts and background and then select 'Apply always' or something like that. (I am working with the german version.) I tried this with a dark grey and it replaces both the white and the sand colours on GitP. This does apply to all websites and does not exactly look pretty but might be a workaround for you.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I use the 'Dark Reader' plug-in for Chrome. I can turn it on and off as desired and it has lots of easy options to use. Try it out :)

https://darkreader.org/

It appears to be available for other browsers too.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    I use the 'Dark Reader' plug-in for Chrome. I can turn it on and off as desired and it has lots of easy options to use. Try it out :)

https://darkreader.org/

It appears to be available for other browsers too.
    I also use Dark Reader. On Android, Kiwi Browser can run the same extensions as the "desktop' version of Chrome, including Dark Reader.

On iOS, the closest equivalent is Dark Mode for Safari.. Unfortunately, it comes with the drawback that you need to tap to enable it on every single page, and due to the limitations Apple puts on 3rd party apps there is no way for the developer to fix that issue.