Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 69
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Star Trek Picard

    Any update on this?

    Last I heard its due for release sometime next week.

    So other than those you tube video's pronouncing woe and doom have you heard anything else about this?
    Last edited by Hopeless; 2020-01-15 at 12:18 AM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground
     
    JadedDM's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Washington, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Star Trek Picard

    It starts on January 23rd. First season will have 10 episodes. It's already been renewed for a second season (also 10 episodes). It's on CBS All Access for the US, and Amazon Prime for everyone else.

    What else did you want to know?

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2011

    Default Re: Star Trek Picard

    Sigh. Some of us are not on Amazon Prime. And I'm not signing up to a streaming service just for one show.

    Star Trek Discovery is on DVD, so hopefully they'll do the same for Picard. I could care less about Discovery, but I'll feel the sting of being late to Picard.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Star Trek Picard

    Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Sigh. Some of us are not on Amazon Prime. And I'm not signing up to a streaming service just for one show.

    Star Trek Discovery is on DVD, so hopefully they'll do the same for Picard. I could care less about Discovery, but I'll feel the sting of being late to Picard.
    Only seen the first season of Discovery so far, but it was fantastic. Dunno what everyone was going on about.

    Imean, I have my suspicions, but anyway. Good show.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show
    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2010

    Default Re: Star Trek Picard

    Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    It starts on January 23rd. First season will have 10 episodes. It's already been renewed for a second season (also 10 episodes). It's on CBS All Access for the US, and Amazon Prime for everyone else.

    What else did you want to know?
    Its on Crave or live TV (Space channel) up here in Canada.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Star Trek Picard

    Looking forward to it but also dreading the " Fan Reaction " We live in a world where people think that The Twilight zone is too political, and get on Discovery's case for being too Woke. I dread to think what they'll say about this.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Kekkersboy

    My gaming and ideas channel.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Pex's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013

    Default Re: Star Trek Picard

    Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    Looking forward to it but also dreading the " Fan Reaction " We live in a world where people think that The Twilight zone is too political, and get on Discovery's case for being too Woke. I dread to think what they'll say about this.
    Too gritty

    You may dread it, but that doesn't mean "fan reaction" is wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by OgresAreCute View Post
    "Welcome to Dungeons and Dragons fifth edition, where the DCs are made up and the rules don't matter."

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2011

    Default Re: Star Trek Picard

    Originally Posted by Peelee
    Only seen the first season of Discovery so far, but it was fantastic. Dunno what everyone was going on about.
    I can’t speak to criticisms of the streaming-only portion of the first season, but the first half of the pilot was aggressively unimpressive. They broadcast the first hour in an attempt to get everyone to instantly sign onto their streaming service, but in my case it convinced me not to bother.

    Beyond that, I was simply not interested in Yet Another Space WarTM, when Star Trek has so much more potential than that. I’m hoping that Picard will be a step in that direction.

    And it looks like CBS All-Access gives a one-week trial option, so I might wait until Picard finishes its first season and then burn a weekend.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    BardGirl

    Join Date
    Nov 2019

    Default Re: Star Trek Picard

    Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    Too gritty.
    Probably both.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Cikomyr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Montreal
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Star Trek Picard

    Star Trek is fun space adventure. Discovery is fun space adventure. Some episodes are better than others, and that's okay.

    It's not a transcendent experience like The Expanse, but what is?! It's a fun show.

    I hope Picard is as good. Maybe it won't, or maybe it'll be Expanse-grade. But I will settle on fun and enjoyable.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Star Trek Picard

    Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Star Trek is fun space adventure. Discovery is fun space adventure. Some episodes are better than others, and that's okay.

    It's not a transcendent experience like The Expanse, but what is?! It's a fun show.

    I hope Picard is as good. Maybe it won't, or maybe it'll be Expanse-grade. But I will settle on fun and enjoyable.
    Haven't seen the Expanse, but other than that I agree entirely on this.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show
    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Oct 2019

    Default Re: Star Trek Picard

    Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post

    Beyond that, I was simply not interested in Yet Another Space WarTM, when Star Trek has so much more potential than that. I’m hoping that Picard will be a step in that direction.
    Well chances are it will be Star Trek: Firefly {scrubbed}
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-01-20 at 12:52 AM.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Star Trek Picard

    Star Trek: Firefly Edition seems likely in theory, though I have a difficult time seeing Picard come out of retirement to become a petty smuggler and trader.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2020-01-20 at 01:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel, on quest rewards View Post
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

    I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Kitten Champion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: Star Trek Picard

    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Star Trek: Firefly Edition seems likely in theory, though I have a difficult time seeing Picard come out of retirement to become a petty smuggler and trader.
    I could see a situation where he for whatever reason is unwilling to ask Star Fleet for their help and has to go into the more unpleasant non-Federation parts of the galaxy for something he personally values enough to risk his life again. Which in turn puts him with smugglers and whatnot. He has been willing to go to scuzzier places and deal with lowlifes when his personal sense of duty calls for it.

    I think there's an opportunity for a Logan-esque story here, or a retired hero with many regrets whose opting to find the best of himself once again. My fear is mostly that the current studio thinks its audience is easily bored with old Trek's pacing, dialogue, and characterization and will opt to kick open the door and toss the fireworks in on every potential lull.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground
     
    JadedDM's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Washington, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Star Trek Picard

    From what I've read, the Federation has become increasingly isolationist by the point the show begins. Also, if you've seen the trailers for Discovery's season 3...

    Spoiler
    Show
    ...The Federation no longer exists in the future. This leads me to wonder if Picard will be, at least partly, about the decline and fall of the Federation.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2011

    Default Re: Star Trek Picard

    Originally Posted by Kitten Champion
    My fear is mostly that the current studio thinks its audience is easily bored with old Trek's pacing, dialogue, and characterization and will opt to kick open the door and toss the fireworks in on every potential lull.
    Oddly enough, I’ve just been watching some old TNG in a “best of” marathon today, on some channel I’ve never heard of before. Among others, I caught “Conspiracy,” “Yesterday’s Enterprise” and part of “Best of Both Worlds.”

    I watched all of TNG when it first aired, and while it’s definitely dated in many ways, the episodes I watched today never felt like they dragged. If anything, “Yesterday’s Enterprise” seemed a little rushed, given the concept and its ramifications.

    “Conspiracy” was pretty awful, but it was first season and that was extremely clunky as a whole. What I notice more is the set design for the faux-outdoors shots, which are always glaringly fake to me. TNG still had something of a TOS sensibility when it came to the lighting and textures for those scenes. (Apart from a matte painting in “Conspiracy,” which I think was reused from the first Trek movie.)

    Of course they were running TV spots for Picard throughout, and I did get a hint of a Logan-esque vibe. I’m more than a little confused by what looks like TOS-era Romulan warbirds, but here in today’s world we have lovingly maintained P-51s in perfect flying order, so I suppose that’s possible in Trek as well.

    Originally Posted by JadedDM
    Also, if you've seen the trailers for Discovery's season 3....
    Spoiler
    Show
    And if the Federation doesn’t exist in the Picard timeframe, and we have TOS-era warbirds, I have to wonder if there isn’t some time-travel aspect involved. Trek has always had a thing for time travel, which at some points during its run was as casual as riding an elevator.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: Star Trek Picard

    If it was up to me I'd place Discovery in the what would have happened had Picard had done nothing with his series the result of him staring that specific fate for the Federation and saying No YOU move!

    From Discovery's perspective they've jumped into an alternate future after all after they left there are countless of possibilities any one of which may have been responsible for their current predicament including because they disappeared in the first place.

    From what little I recall of that series barring Pike (which of course is memorable!) they had a "Red Angel" subplot which I assume played a part in their time jump.

    All it would really take is Q poking Picard or something else that catches his attention and we might actually be looking at Picard discovering what's actually going on and doing something about it!

    I pictured Section 31 being behind this, not just why Picard retired but whatever is actually going on with that Borg Cube in the Romulaans hands.

    Then there was that Children of Mars short trek I keep hearing about suggesting the Federation apparently continued their research into androids apparently creating their own Noonian Singh in the process or perhaps Lore 2.0 would be a better analogy.

    {scrubbed}

    So the androids turning on their creators to free themselves or controlled by a group for their own nefarious purposes might explain what's been revealed so far.

    But not the girl who I hope is Shinzon's daughter who has learned about Picard and seeks his help as unlike her parent she isn't evil.

    A (very) long shot but only 3 days to go!
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-01-20 at 12:33 AM.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground
     
    JadedDM's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Washington, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Star Trek Picard

    Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Of course they were running TV spots for Picard throughout, and I did get a hint of a Logan-esque vibe. I’m more than a little confused by what looks like TOS-era Romulan warbirds, but here in today’s world we have lovingly maintained P-51s in perfect flying order, so I suppose that’s possible in Trek as well.

    Spoiler
    Show
    And if the Federation doesn’t exist in the Picard timeframe, and we have TOS-era warbirds, I have to wonder if there isn’t some time-travel aspect involved. Trek has always had a thing for time travel, which at some points during its run was as casual as riding an elevator.
    That's entirely possible, being Star Trek and all. A far more mundane possible explanation, though, might be...

    Spoiler: Speculation
    Show
    After the destruction of Romulus, the Star Empire may be in shambles, and without the resources to build new ships, so old ones were salvaged and put into use instead.


    Then again, trailers always lie, so who knows? Maybe the TOS-warbirds are from a holodeck simulation or something.

    Speaking of trailers, here's a new one: This one has the Enterprise-D in it.

    Spoiler: Video
    Show
    Last edited by JadedDM; 2020-01-20 at 12:36 AM.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Pex's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013

    Default Re: Star Trek Picard

    Quote Originally Posted by Droid Tony View Post
    Well chances are it will be Star Trek: Firefly {scrub the post, scrub the quote}
    {scrubbed}
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-01-20 at 12:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by OgresAreCute View Post
    "Welcome to Dungeons and Dragons fifth edition, where the DCs are made up and the rules don't matter."

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Kitten Champion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: Star Trek Picard

    Honestly, nostalgia though this may be, I love the old TNG-era Romulan Warbirds. It's my favourite ship design in Trek. While I'm certainly open to new ship designs, I'd hate for them to look like the Scimitar. I'll say this now, ships shouldn't look villainous. Not if you're trying to make a somewhat realistic setting. If you're going for a WH40K science fantasy or TTGL-levels of rule-of-cool it's fine, but the Scimitar looks like it was designed for Thanos.

    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm kind of bummed they're taking the nuTrek events as canon in general. Not that I'm terribly anti-nuTrek and it's all what you do with it at the end of the day, but destroying Romulus just felt like one in a string of decisions that were made to quickly justify a fairly thin plot (mostly by skipping any real development for the villain) mixed with "you've heard of this before!" that made the new movies feel empty at parts. It's what I think of as bad Marvel Ultimate Universe-style writing, where they want to reference characters and events from the main line comic's history but you end up using them in disposable and shallow ways, largely for shock value or to subvert expectations.
    Last edited by Kitten Champion; 2020-01-20 at 12:58 AM.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Star Trek Picard

    Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm kind of bummed they're taking the nuTrek events as canon in general. Not that I'm terribly anti-nuTrek and it's all what you do with it at the end of the day, but destroying Romulus just felt like one in a string of decisions that were made to quickly justify a fairly thin plot (mostly by skipping any real development for the villain)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Developing characters isn't really something Abrams does, in my experience.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show
    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Oct 2019

    Default Re: Star Trek Picard

    Epsiode One is out! And it's great!


    Spoiler: Spoilers
    Show

    The mystery of Data's Daughter is a nice touch. Though I SURE hope someone doing the show remembers that Data DID make a daughter once upon a time.

    Also....oh....they talk like there are ONLY two Soung type androids in the Galaxy. But they are forgetting Data's step mom(and Picard knows about this) and, of course, Lore.

    The whole show has nice little touches to Trek, mostly The Next Generation of course, with the stlye and look of everything. The technology has changed a bit in 20 years...but not too much.

    Just gotta wait a week for more....



  23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: Star Trek Picard

    Spoiler
    Show
    Is it possible Maddox doesn't know about Data's mum?


    I went ahead and set up Amazon Prime so i can watch this.

    Not impressed with what I've been reading, but Prime has NCIS so it wasn't a total wash.

    I'm hoping I'm wrong, but tomorrow we'll finally see.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Star Trek Picard

    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Is it possible Maddox doesn't know about Data's mum?


    I went ahead and set up Amazon Prime so i can watch this.

    Not impressed with what I've been reading, but Prime has NCIS so it wasn't a total wash.

    I'm hoping I'm wrong, but tomorrow we'll finally see.
    Prime also has The Boys, which is amazing if you like really, super dark superhero shows. Like, this makes Watchmen look like Batman. It's really dark.

    So good though.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show
    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Cikomyr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Montreal
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Star Trek Picard

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Prime also has The Boys, which is amazing if you like really, super dark superhero shows. Like, this makes Watchmen look like Batman. It's really dark.

    So good though.
    Prime has The Expanse and Good Omen

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Ramza00's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Star Trek Picard

    So I was wondering who are they going to bring into this new series as cameos and I thought of Garrak (both Picard and Garak are exiles though one voluntary and one involuntary) and suddenly...

    my mind was on a tangent for I realized Andrew Jordt Robinson is 77 (will be 78 in a month) and thus less than 2 years younger than Patrick Stewart (79 will turn 80 in 5 months.)
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGirl

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Star Trek Picard

    I was impressed by the first episode and I'm hungry for more already, which is good.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

    Factotum Variants!

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013

    Default Re: Star Trek Picard

    I already enjoyed the first episode more than the 2/3rds of a season of Discovery that I got through. This feels like Star Trek in a way Discovery never did for me.

    Spoiler: Case in point
    Show
    In Discovery, I was shocked to realize that this weird looking alien race were supposed to be Klingons. I never would have identified them or their ships if the show hadn't told me.

    At the end of Picard, we get the long tracking shot moving out of the ship. I identified it as Borg before we even got to the exterior.

    The aesthetic is on point without feeling dated.


    It's a damn good thing they're releasing this weekly, because I would already be bingeing otherwise.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground
     
    JadedDM's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Washington, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Star Trek Picard

    Something that jumped out at me is...

    Spoiler
    Show
    The interviewer referred to the Romulan sun going supernova. But wasn't it the Hobus sun that went supernova? Is that a retcon then? I mean, it does help cover the huge plot hole of how a star going supernova in an entirely different system could destroy Romulus, as the shockwave would take centuries to reach them even if it was moving at light speed...

    Also, all that talk about all the Romulans that died, but not a single mention about the Remans. Remus was destroyed, too, after all.


    Anyway, all that aside, I really enjoyed the episode.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Star Trek Picard

    Spoiler
    Show

    ST writers tend to forget Remus exists a lot. I don't think there were any named Remans at all until the reboot movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel, on quest rewards View Post
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

    I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •