New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Reinholdt's Repository

[Into a World that Was]

"Usually, the former grandmaster anoints their successor when they're old or preparing to retire. Then the candidate must prove themselves and be approved by the other masters. If the grandmaster can't choose-"

"Because they're dead or dishonored, which are both real possibilities," Tarjuna interjects.

"Right, yes. In that case, candidates can step forward or be chosen by the masters, from among them or elsewhere. A much messier process."

"More than once, masters do their best to avoid being put forward. Not everyone wants to deal with all the politics."

"Regardless, the former grandmaster, Orrava al-Prough, was still healthy and spry when he came here, bearing this... relic. But he spoke to her in private and before we knew it, she stepped down and anointed him as her successor. He always had been a mighty warrior and seemed to have grown in strength since we had last seen him. He passed all the trials we put before him."

"Orrava went into seclusion. Whatever he told her, it shook her to her core. Only Barenza sees her these days... they're lovers. Probably why Barenza is so disagreeable of late."

"I think having to manage things in Pangon Urshal's almost-absence has as much to do with it as that." The other younger woman speaks up for the first time. She's short, but packed with muscle and her head is shaven almost bald. Her skin has a light brown hue.
    Last edited by Morty; 2022-07-06 at 04:22 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Ogre in the Playground

[Into a World that Was]

"So he had this relic before becoming the grandmaster?" Lyn Cha confirms. She had been under the impression it was a recent discovery that had changed his disposition. There, unsurprisingly, had to be more to the story.

"Does Orrava live in the village now?" It seemed unlikely a visit to her would accomplish much if she's as secluded as they say. At least, not without Barenza by Ilpholin's side. But she would definitely know a lot if Ilpholin just had some way to convince her to share what she knows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Titan in the Playground

[Into a World that Was]

"Hard to say. We know he came here bearing it one day and became grandmaster shortly after. Needless to say, rumors abound."

Tarjuna stretches back and reaches for a nearby jug of water to pour some of it on her back and chest.

"She lives in a small hermitage in the mountains. There are a few secluded spots there that people use now and then. I think Pangon Urshal's sons have a place... anyway, Orrava's hermitage is up the slope from here. Barenza comes to visit her and some of the servants carry supplies for her now and then, but she avoids company otherwise."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Ogre in the Playground

[Into a World that Was]

"What exactly IS this artifact anyways? Like... an ancient text or some sort of jar or what are we talking about exactly?" Artifact this, artifact that. Why anything can be an artifact if it's old enough!

So Barenza, those sons, even the servants were all ways to get to Orrava. But which was the best way to get her to talk? Hmm...

Though maybe this was all unnecessary. Her job here was to find the Spear. This all seemed like a promising lead, but getting too involved in the politics may blind her to her actual mission if she wasn't careful.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Titan in the Playground

[Into a World that Was]

There's a collective shrugging and shaking of heads from the assembled.

"Supposedly, it's a weapon. Which stands to reason. What other artifact would interest one of us? Well, armor, I suppose."

"And it belonged to Jarowit. Which does make it valuable, but Jarowit surely had many weapons. And there are other powerful weapons to be claimed out there. So why did this one affect Pangon Urshal so profoundly? It is a mystery."

"Maybe he's trying to unlock its power."

"But why would it occupy so much of his time?"

6. - Top - End - #636
    Ogre in the Playground

[Into a World that Was]

"If he seeks to understand a weapon, he must use it. There is no more effective method," Lyn Cha asserts.

"Where does Pangon Urshal seclude himself? Perhaps I shall convince him to spar with me."
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

7. - Top - End - #637
    Titan in the Playground

[Into a World that Was]

Tarjuna laughs raucously and slaps her thigh with her hand.

"Bold! I like it. Maybe your boldness is just what we need in this time."

Asheeno smiles, but isn't as outwardly amused.

"Pangon Urshal dwells in the grandmaster's quarters on the top of the fort. But he hasn't seen anyone other than Barenza and his sons in quite some time..."

8. - Top - End - #638
    Ogre in the Playground

[Into a World that Was]

"Well perhaps he just needs a woman's touch to come out of his shell. I've heard he's fond of as much," Lyn Cha's smirk suggests she's being humorous. Probably.

Regardless, she focuses more upon the bathing process itself at this point, cleansing her skin of impurities.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

9. - Top - End - #639
    Titan in the Playground

[Into a World that Was]

This is followed by laughter from all the assembled.

"Oh, yes. Everyone knows he was quite the ladies' man in his youth. Who knows, perhaps your strategy will work. Hit your target in the right spot, shall we say?"

The topic then shifts to talking about Pangon Urshal's past conquests, unless Lyn Cha seeks to divert it. As usual, it's difficult to tell fact from fiction; anyone with a reputation like this will attract stories wilder than their actual exploits. This leads the group to gossip about other warriors' romantic affairs. Predictably enough, a community of athletic people of all genders will have its share of romance, flings and hook-ups. Lyn Cha could learn a lot about such goings-on if she cares to - but it's not likely to be relevant to her goal.

10. - Top - End - #640
    Ogre in the Playground

[Into a World that Was]

She'll listen a bit, but Ilpholin believes she's learned all that would be particularly helpful to her, so it's more her being polite than any real interest. After lingering for what time she feels appropriate, she will rise out of the bath and bid anyone still remaining farewell as she walks back inside, nude form dripping until she gets ahold of a towel. She'll have to get dressed into something practical yet alluring. She thinks she can get by with a bare midriff, but otherwise practical martial arts clothing.

From there, she'll start working her way up towards the top of the fort, where it is rumored Pangon Urshal resides. He's the next person she wishes to meet.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

11. - Top - End - #641
    Titan in the Playground

[Into a World that Was]

Ilpholin leaves the bathhouse without any further ado. As she departs, more people will start filing in, returning from training and sparring. Many of them saw her bout with the three brothers and obviously recognize her now.

Once she leaves there, she'll be free to go to the upper tier of the fort. However, though the guards at the gates let her through, there's an unmistakable sense of higher scrutiny. This tier of the fortress appears to be administrative and academic. The masters' quarters, private training halls, libraries and armories. The latter two are open to the students, which is why she's given passage. The fourth, final tier of the fortress seems to be reserved to the grandmaster - in terms of size, it's a small tower. It's there that a guard will stop her, halfway up the stairway leading to said tower. She's dressed in the same armor as the ones she met at the gate.

"Halt. The grandmaster is not receiving anyone at this moment," she says in a curt, official tone. "What is your business with him?"
    Last edited by Morty; 2022-07-15 at 04:06 PM.

12. - Top - End - #642
    Ogre in the Playground

[Into a World that Was]

Lyn Cha tilts her head a little at this particular obstacle. Guess this much was to be expected.

"Barenza asked that I seek out and tend to the grandmaster. She would be here herself if she were not embroiled with her duties. I was told that he would explain what needs done of me." All somewhat technically true, if one were to consider that Barenza told her to seek out masters to train with. Hopefully Barenza's name carries enough weight. She could apologize later to the overworked second in command if need be.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

13. - Top - End - #643
    Titan in the Playground

[Into a World that Was]

The guard scrutinizes Lyn Cha closely. She can likely see the calculation going on behind her eyes. A calculation natural to anyone on guard duty and asking "which course of action involves the least effort and trouble for me?".

"Wait here. I will ask the grandmaster if he wishes to see you."

It seems she decided the simplest way to handle this is kick it up the chain. This way it'll be Barenza's problem if the grandmaster is angry at being interrupted. She climbs up the stairs and knocks on the door found there. If Lyn Cha follows her with her gaze, she will also discover that the walls of the grandmaster's quarters appear to have large windows, overlooking the fort. If she can hear a quiet conversation from that distance, she will learn that the guard is giving her physical description and stated purpose to someone behind the door. Then she returns, looking surprised and unsettled.

"...the grandmaster will see you now. The door is open for you."

14. - Top - End - #644
    Ogre in the Playground

[Into a World that Was]

Lyn Cha gives a slight bow of appreciation to the guard before heading up. So, the grandmaster probably saw her bout her earlier against his sons. That may be the only reason she's being allowed up. Well, that would be all the better honestly. Impressing Pangon would make this much easier.

All the same, she knocks politely before entering and shutting the door behind her, remaining humble yet confident. "Grandmaster Urshal?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

15. - Top - End - #645
    Titan in the Playground

[Into a World that Was]

Lyn Cha will enter into a small antechamber. It leads to the other sections of the grandmaster's quarters. It's surprisingly well-furnished, with several chairs and cushions that aren't lavish but are obviously comfortable. Weapons and ornaments hang from the walls - are they Pangon Urshal's trophies from his days as a conquering hero? There's also a load-bearing pillar in the middle of the chamber and in front of it, Pangon Urshal himself.

Perhaps against expectations, he's not overly tall - slightly under six feet in height. This can be missed, however, as he seems to fill the space around him more than his physical height would indicate. His skin is dark and his hair is black, receding at the forehead and kept in a short topknot in the back. He has a short mustache as well and his hair is streaked with grey. His dark eyes seem to pierce anything and anyone before him. The grandmaster is wearing a simple belted tunic and short skirt, which exposes his broad shoulders as well as his arms and legs, corded with muscle and bearing several scars. There's power in his limbs, like a coiled spring, ready to burst forth with violence when the need arises. He seems to move little, wasting no energy on needless motions or expressions.

"So, then. You are the one who fought and defeated three of my sons," he observes. "It was well and cleverly fought. But I am glad they pushed you hard in turn, at least."

16. - Top - End - #646
    Ogre in the Playground

[Into a World that Was]

Lyn's eyes traverse the room briefly, lingering upon the weapons for but a moment. She would be shocked if Pangon kept the Spear of Jarowit on display. Better to keep her attention upon the man who is thrice any of the weapons here. He's not much taller than herself, surprisingly. She honestly expected everyone in this era to be two or three feet taller than her, but apparently some things haven't changed that much. He fills the space quickly though, with his thick muscles.

"Thank you. I can appreciate a good, hard push," Lyn Cha says, walking up to him, hips swaying subtly. "They fought well." When she's closer, she gives a small bow of respect, before getting closer still. Not quite in his personal space, but definitely within perfect admiring distance. Her eyes travel his body before looking up at his face.

"Barenza bade me seek out masters to study under. I have heard there's none in the land with greater prowess than Pangon Urshal, so I sought you out, hoping that you might... personally guide me."
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

17. - Top - End - #647
    Titan in the Playground

[Into a World that Was]

Urshal's eyes traverse Lyn Cha's body approvingly, but they remain shrewd and observant as they do so. Having gone through this subtle dance many times before, she will likely realize that he knows what she's doing. Not the first time someone tried to influence him with a beautiful body, no doubt. But he appears willing to see where it takes him. Play the game she's begun.

"Is that why you challenged all three of them? To catch my attention and pique my curiosity?" he asks. "I feared such combat arts were growing rare outside these walls."
    Last edited by Morty; 2022-07-22 at 04:40 PM.

18. - Top - End - #648
    Ogre in the Playground

[Into a World that Was]

"Hmm..." Lyn replies with purposefully false coyness. "Impossible. I had no way to know you were watching. That was for my own sake. I'm exceptional when it comes to one on one sparring, but the real world is rarely so convenient." Much more likely to get ambushed by five thugs than by one.

"Besides, I had to see if it was all worth the trip." She was testing them just as much as they were testing her.

"Unfortunately, you are right. I am an... oddity even among my people. Part of my decision to travel was the belief I had learned as much as I was going to be able to from our warriors. And I wished not to stifle and stagnate."

Lyn Cha's mouth curls into a seductive smile. "Why, have I... peaked your curiosity?" She asks, eyes traveling down his body.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

19. - Top - End - #649
    Titan in the Playground

[Into a World that Was]

A smile plays on Urshal's lips, making it unclear if he believes Lyn Cha. He might, but he might also be choosing to play along. He seems to be skilled at keeping a neutral expression as well as fighting.

"I would say you have." He gives her another elevator look. "It has been quite some time since I trained anyone. As I'm sure you've heard. But perhaps we can see where it takes us. Follow me." He steps to his right, where he opens a heavy door and holds it open for Lyn Cha. Inside she will see a training room, its walls brimming with practice weapons of all shapes and sizes. Swords, spears, flails, axes, strange and exotic arms held by chains... Pangon Urshal's interests in weaponry run wide.

20. - Top - End - #650
    Ogre in the Playground

[Into a World that Was]

Most of what Ilpholin said was true, if slightly twisted.

"I look forward to benefitting from your personal touch," Lyn Cha says, following him and then stepping through the door as he holds it, letting him view her from all angles. Her eyes wander the room, almost surprised it didn't have a bed in it. Her eyes travel the different weapons, admiring their quality. Her gaze lingers upon a whip for a moment, an almost sad nostalgia trying to etch its way into her face before she moves on.

"Very impressive indeed. I fear I would struggle to wield some of these more girthy ones." A weapon can be too big, after all, though she's yet to encounter such a tool. She often finds large axes nowadays to be quite useful in cutting into the otherwise sturdy hide of many demons.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

21. - Top - End - #651
    Titan in the Playground

[Into a World that Was]

"Some of them are on the hefty side. I find that with enough training, it can be overcome, however." Pangon Urshal stops in the middle of the room and makes a sweeping motion with his hands. "I can use all of these, but my specialty is a style involving twin axes. I can share it with you. Have you ever wielded such weapons? What kind of martial arts have you studied?"
    Last edited by Morty; 2022-07-27 at 04:10 PM.

22. - Top - End - #652
    Ogre in the Playground

[Into a World that Was]

"Anything you're willing to... impress upon me, I can take," Lyn Cha assures him. "Unlike the singular axe, I can't say I've had the pleasure of using twin axes in actual combat, though I'm aware of the fundamentals. I've studied several different art styles, though I would say that I am most well versed at the Capoeira form."

They might have a different name for it here though, Ilpholin doesn't know.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

23. - Top - End - #653
    Titan in the Playground

[Into a World that Was]

"I've not heard of it. I'd ask, but words cannot do justice to combat arts, wouldn't you say? Only actions can. Raw aggression given focus." There's a gleam in Pangon Urshal's eye, where his expression was placid before. He turns away and takes two practice axes from the wall. Then he takes four strips of white leather, inscribed with symbols, off a hook. He reaches out with his hand, holding two of them, to Lyn Cha. "Take any weapon or two that suit your style best. Or two axes, if you wish to try it straight away. But wrap these around the hilts. They were made by Pashti's mother, a leatherworker of great skill. They will dull the damage done by practice weapons, so we can give it our all without risk. They won't dull the pain, however. We'll never learn form our mistakes if they don't hurt."

24. - Top - End - #654
    Ogre in the Playground

[Into a World that Was]

"Depends on the poet," Lyn shrugs a little. She wasn't one.

She raises an eyebrow at the leather straps, but takes them. "Careful... one can as easily get addicted to the pain of making mistakes," Lyn warns, taking a pair of sais down from the wall and wrapping the straps around their hilts before turning to face Pangon Urshal and getting into position and posture.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast