New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Reinholdt's Repository

[Daring the Merpeople Tribe]

"Maybe," Reinholdt frowns a little, something not adding up to him. They were pretty much exactly one tunnel/fork away from the entrance when they found the room with the baskets and the Merpeople surely left those baskets there for some reason. Unless something else left the baskets. Hmm...

He does raise his hands with Holly though. It's important to support your date! Also she has his hand and he's not going to let go that easily.

Out come a number of merfolk. The two oldest ones look to be in their mid/early forties? Hard to tell with Merfolk. Trailing behind this couple is the young mergirl Holly spotted earlier, about eleven or twelve and shyly staring at them from behind her parents. Who also seem to be more or less the defecto leader of the tribe.

"Who are you? What are you doing here?" The woman asks, voice full of paranoid suspicion.

Also of note is one fairly fit and buff merman with a trident pulling up on their flank. A guard perhaps. They must feel secure if he's not actually posted anywhere. Another merman is approaching the other side. Also a guard, but less buff and more extremely skinny and wearing an oversized helmet that keeps slipping over his eyes. He'd be better off just taking it off. Still, he too has a trident. Neither are holding them aggressively at this time.

That also constitutes half of the entire tribe cause there's only ten of them. It's a small group.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Daring the Merpeeps Tribe]

Holly, who isn't picking up on what Reinholdt isn't adding up, figures the best thing to do is to just answer the woman. "I'm Holly, and this is Rein," she says, introducing the both of them, "and we were on a date when we got lost." Being lost is a reasonable explanation, right? Seems like a thing that could happen.

She continues her explanation. "And then I saw her," she gestures with her free hand, "and was hoping she could tell us where we were." She feels like this part of the explanation is important, especially if the girl told everyone 'hey i saw two strangers and they were following me'.

She hopes her explanation sounds reasonable enough and might get them to open up. People from small places like this are usually really nice but also suspish of people who might threaten their lifestyles or come between them.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

[Daring Merpeeps Anonymous]

There's some quiet scrutiny broken by one of the previous extras, a young mermaid in her late teens.

"You mean Daddy didn't send you?" She's almost immediately shushed, but the question's already been asked.

"Uh... No," Reinholdt confirms with a confused look and there looks to be some relief amongst the crowd and murmurs.

Eventually the woman who spoke up originally swims forward a little. "Excuse the hostility. We've been on edge since she joined us, that they might have tracked her. So you too followed the village rumors of the Spring of Escape? We also chose to 'get lost' here in this refuge from our old lives."

"Daddy planned to marry me to my cousin!" The teenage girl explains, getting pat on the back by a nearby merfriend. "I don't want to marry my cousin!"

A reasonable sentiment.

They didn't really fly over the other side of the mountain so there would seem to be a village nearby, either on that side or in valley near here. These people seem to have actively sought this place as some manner of refuge. Though there's the possibility the littlest mermaid was born here, or was brought here by her parents.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Daring Merpeeps Anonymous]

"Yeah, that's basically what happened to us," Holly responds to the woman. So, they did get some information about where they are: some sort of mythical Spring.

Then, sympathetically, she adds, "Being forced to marry your cousin is awful." She says this even though as far as she knows she doesn't have any cousins.

She looks around again. These people have probably already been all over the cave, so it'd be a perfect opportunity to ask before most of them start dispersing. "Hey, do any of you know what else is in these caves? I noticed there were a bunch of other pathways and we were wondering what was down them. You know, in case they're dangerous or beautiful." Yeah. That's a smooth way to ask it, right?
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    [A Daring Summary]

Reinholdt and Holly play along long enough to escape the Merpeople. They go back to a cave filled with purple crystals. While performing science, one of the crystals crumbles infusing Holly with moxie and allowing her to change Reinholdt back. Rein flies Holly home and they cuddle together overnight waiting for Holly to change back. Holly forces the change early, cursing herself in the process. Holly had to get to her vet position as Carlie so the two split there.

Quote Originally Posted by Meowmai View Post
    [RunningOutOfThingsForBothBirdsAndCats]

"Yeah, it does suck..." Kestrel trailed off, now feeling somewhat self conscious compared to Reinholdt. He just seemed way cooler than she did. I mean, he had clearly gone on way more amazing adventures than she had, and he could fly!.

At Rein's beckoning, she finished off her drink, standing up and feeling her head spin for a moment. She regained her balance and followed him out towards the door, not quite managing to walk in a straight line. She had only had one drink, but she was quite a lightweight, and she had downed hers very quickly, so the birdgirl was a little tipsy.
    [Title Free]

Reinholdt turns around after exiting the tavern and practically catches Kestral as she comes out. In part because she's a tad wobbly, but mostly because literally scooping her off her feet is the plan. "Hold on tight," Rein warns.

He makes sure his grip is secure as well before he rockets into the sky, carrying Kes with him. The air whips through their hair, chilling a little as they rise higher and higher above the rooftops, above the trees, above the birds. He'll slow to a pause at this great height, headed in no direction as he gives the woman in his arms time to soak in the majestic vista of the verdant lands below.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ghost in the Playground

[Birds of a Feather, Get Rocketed into the Sky Together]

Kestrel had not been expecting Reinholdt to grab her and so initially gasped in protest, but she quickly realised his intentions when he told her to hold on. "H-hey, what are you- oh!?" The birdgirl wrapped her arms around the fey, feeling slightly embarrassed about being pressed close to a man she had just met but also incredibly excited for what was to come. Even then, the moment they abruptly shot into the sky caught her by complete surprise, a yelp escaping from her lips and her grip around Reinholdt instinctively tightening.

Her heart was hammering in her chest but they were slowing now, soon coming to a halt, giving her a chance to catch her breath... and to take in the view. Kestrel's eyes were sharp, and the view presented to her so high in the air were spectacular. The entire thing was like nothing she had ever experienced, and she laughed openly in joy. "We're actually flying! I can't believe it, it's so amazing up here!"

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

[Birds of a Feather]

Reinholdt really has to suppress laughing at Kes' response to taking flight. She was amusing. But once up in the air, he can't help but to share in her awe and joy. It never really gets old. "Yeah, we are," Reinholdt repeats as if to remember it himself.

Not content to merely stay still and enjoy the sights, Rein starts flying in a random direction, letting the scenery change naturally below them as he performs 'maneuvers'. Nothing more than dips, turns, loops and a single barrel roll. He's not trained or practiced in aerial stunts, primarily just knowing how to dodge, but it likely doesn't matter anyways to someone who's never flown before.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ghost in the Playground

Soaring through the skies was an experience like no other, her wildest dreams come true, something she had long thought impossible but now she had the true joy of feeling the wind whip through her hair and feathers high above the ground. Even as she had no control, and was holding on tightly to Reinholdt, the birdgirl felt more free than she ever had before. She giggled and laughed and gasped during the flight, even the most minor of Reinholdt's tricks bringing a pure, almost childlike joy to her heart.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Even one's wildest dreams must come to an end, and after awhile of showing off, Rein's arms start to burn from the exertion and remind him just how difficult it is to carry someone around while flying, even with an adventurer's stamina.

Rein slows to a stop. "Love to fly forever, but we should probably get to that adventure. There's a rich warlock living in the city of evil I've been eying we could rob. Or there's a new dungeon adventure service that just came out I heard about. Or plenty of other things really. Did anything in particular interest you?" Rein asks, cleverly hiding his growing tiredness by suggesting another activity.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ghost in the Playground

Kestrel was noticeably disappointed when their marvellous flight came to it's apparent end, but she didn't suspect the reasoning for it. She just assumed that maybe Reinholdt had a limited schedule, or else just really wanted to get started with an adventure.

What option to choose though? Stealing from the warlock seemed very Robin Hood-like and exciting to her, but then again, she hardly had much in the way of knowledge of carrying out a robbery. It wasn't that she would feel particularly guilty about robbing the warlock (she would with anyone else- and indeed, had felt guilty the few times she had been forced to steal to survive- but someone living in a place called The City of Evil clearly deserved it), but rather that while she had indulged in the odd bit of trespassing she hadn't had any actual experience breaking into someone's house to rob them.

The dungeon adventure service could be interesting, but to be honest she had grown a little bit tired of dungeons recently. It's not that they weren't ever enjoyable, it's just that she found more fun could be had on the surface where it was less dark and damp and claustrophobic.

"Hmm... tell me about this warlock thingy? Though... I'm better in the outdoors shooting arrows at monsters than sneaking around indoors, so I guess it depends." She paused for a moment, and then hastily added "Not that I suck at sneaking! I'm just like, better elsewhere, I guess. Y'know what I mean." She wanted to look as cool and competent as she could in front of Reinholdt after all.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, uh, she's rich and deserves to be robbed? I'm afraid I haven't cased the place yet and know as much as you do now. Admittedly that probably just makes it the worst idea, but I enjoy some unpredictability." Sounds like a great way to get them both cursed.

He doesn't even seem to notice Kes covering for herself and assuring him of her capabilities. "Outdoors? Hmm..." Thinking thinking thinking. "Oh. Well there are some recently discovered ruins on the north side of that valley right there," Rein says pointing them out as he spots the ruins from the air. A hard to spot assembly of gray stone pillars and green moss. He doesn't even hesitate this time as he starts flying towards them, landing them both nearby and setting Kes down.
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2020-03-25 at 06:54 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ghost in the Playground

"Yeah, unpredictability is way more exciting. It's less fun without a few surprises, y'know? And planning is reallllllllly boring." came Kestrel's reply to Reinholdt's explanation. But the thoughts of robbing warlocks were quickly dispersed at the mention of some freshly discovered ruins. She didn't even need to tell the fey that that was her choice before they were already flying towards them, though from this distance and in the air they were hard to make out.

While it was disappointing to no longer be flying, there was a spring in Kestrel's steps as they landed near the ruins. She had just been FLYING and now she got to explore some ruins! How cool was that!?

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

"Really? You don't enjoy it when a long, overly convoluted plan comes to fruition and everything's gone exactly as you planned and you foiled your stupid cyborg nemesis in the most humil- I mean... When it works?" Reinholdt got a little distracted there!

Fortunately there's a lot around to be distracted by! For instance, it seems quite overgrown here. A lot of vines and unusual plants. Plenty of rocks. Based on the rough patterns, seems like there were a few buildings around this location, but they're barely foundations now. There also seem to be a row of crumbling pillars, of which only two really remain mostly together, vines and moss covering most of them. But some writing or drawings can be seen etched into their forms which could probably be visible if one were to clear off the intruding vegetation. Or one could simply follow the pillars in the direction they seem to be leading toward's the center of the ruins. Over there a stone building still remarkably half-stands, aching to collapse in on itself, with unknown discoveries to be had past the open, shadowed threshold.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ghost in the Playground

"I uhh… can't say I do? She didn't even have a nemesis. That was kind of disappointing to the birdgirl, in a weird way. Having a nemesis sounds like it would be pretty cool. Kestrel peered towards Reinholdt, both curious and confused. "And that sounds... err, awfully specific..?"

Even as she waited for an answer, Kestrel began to wander, taking in the sights at a distance before moving closer to inspect some of the closer parts of the overgrown ruins. In particular the pillars caught her eye, and she did indeed brush aside the vegetation, to observe whatever pictures and try to read any of the writings carved into them. That was just mild curiosity though. Her interests truly lay towards whatever lay inside the building at the centre. If anything exciting was going to happen, she was sure it would be taking place in there.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh. That's a shame." A part of Reinholdt misses scheming. Alas. "Specific? Well I suppose. Triumph over that smug bald-headed boil always leaves a lasting euphoria."

Upon the pillar lay faded etchings of cats. Felines! Of a most unusual kind. Kitties merged with birds, sporting wings upon their backs! No wait. That's not quite correct. The wing structure is actually completely wrong to be birds. Angelic perhaps? Then again the drawings are quite stylized so it wasn't worth taking much stock in the accuracy of their wings. These winged cats seemed commonplace whenever this was created as they're depicted in numbers. Perhaps even lived right here.

Also of note is how the vegetation Kes brushed aside has begun moving of its own accord.

[Assassin's Cry]

Stressed, confused, and still pretty drunk after learning Holly is Carlie is Harley is have his baby, Reinholdt takes off his shirt and stumbles into his bed. Sleep doesn't come easily. Doesn't even come at all! It's really quite rude to keep a cat awake as he rolls over in his bed, thinking about babies, women, and everything in between.

"Hope things are going better for you Kyne." Reinholdt would often speak into the dark to her, rarely getting a response. She was busy, elsewhere, and at the end of the day Rein never did become her follower. Chose to follow the goddess of hope instead and he suspects she never did forgive him for that. Another failure to mull over through the night.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

16. - Top - End - #46
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Assassin's Cry]

"They are, in fact." A familiar voice whispers into his ear with all the unexpected danger of a gun cocking behind you and the intimate closeness of a blade held to your throat. It's no surprise that a Goddess of Hunting would enjoy sneaking up on people, but appearing out of nowhere to scare the hell out of Reinholdt is practically a family tradition for this one. Kynegetis Vulpan stands beside the bed, bent over at the waist to bring her black lips near his ear.
    “Me quoque per multos similis fortuna labores
    iactatam hac demum voluit consistere terra.
    Non ignara mali, miseris succurrere disco.”

– Publius Vergilius Maro, The Aeneid

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

[Assassin's Cry]

Well causing a panic is successful as Reinholdt flails out of bed. "CIVVY CHRIST!!" He shouts, whipping a gun out of hammerspace and turning it towards the invader by his ear. If he weren't still partially inebriated, he might even have the speed and experience to catch the assassin goddess. But much more likely is she catches him by the wrist and calmly reminds him she could break it at any time. Perhaps.

Either way, he's pulling a gun on her cause she startled him.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

18. - Top - End - #48

[Assassin's Cry]

Kyne is so caught up in savoring Rein's reaction that she doesn't notice he pulled a gun out of nowhere until it's halfway in line with her. She's forced to pounce on top of him and pin his arm to the bed in order to get control of the weapon. Didn't he recognize her voice? If this was a trap, wouldn't he have had the gun already out before calling to her?

Between his head jerking up in surprise and hers lunging down, their mouths smash together roughly. "Mmph- ow. It's me, you stupid cat."

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

[Assassin's Cry]

"Mmm!" Reinholdt makes a noise that sounds far too pleasant before gasping a little in pain. "For the l- Kyne?! Have you never heard of knocking?!" It's a common, every day gesture.

Reinholdt relaxes his arm, loosing the gun from his grip. "Or did you plan all this just to pin me to the bed?" He smirks at her from his far too close position.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

20. - Top - End - #50

[Assassin's Cry]

"It would be pretty stupid to knock on the inside of the door just to tell you I'm here. Besides, you're cute when you're being a little scaredy cat." The Huntress ignores his smirk until she can scoop up the dropped pistol, eject the magazine, clear the chamber, and toss both gun and ammo across the room. Then she smirks back at him, her long hair falling in his face like dark blood.

Kyne knows she's been... distant of late. It's been awhile since she answered any of Rein's late night prayers, much less manifested in person. She's lucky he's relaxing now that he recognizes her and not taking the opportunity to get pissed off and shout some more. It's very flattering that the handsome fae appears glad to see the Goddess again. She just happened to be available when he called out right now, a caesura in her divine obligations. It's not like she misses him or anything. "I miss you. But 'plan' is a strong word, maybe."

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

[Assassin's Cry]

Reinholdt watches with quizzical detachment as Kyne dismantles one of his hundreds of guns. She probably knows he can summon another whenever he wants. It was likely just muscle memory on her part. Though he does wonder if a normal gun can even hurt her. Probably. Vulpan deities were different than other deities.

Rein brushes her hair out of his face and hooks it up over her ear, tracing the outside, but stopping short of cupping her cheek. "I've missed you too. You should call. Have you accomplished your grand deific design yet?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

22. - Top - End - #52

[Assassin's Greed]

Either conventional firearms can't hurt her and she's making a show out of it to trick him into using ineffective weaponry on her or they can damage the goddess and she's deliberately showing vulnerability to repair their unmaintained emotional connection. Those might as well be the only possibilities; puzzling out all the potential layers of deception would be a Herculζan labor: every time you finish one you get another and just when you think you're done you have to wash away the divine bull****.
    Or she might be nervous at meeting him again and needed to do something with her hands.

"Not yet, but getting there," Kynegetis answers and then tries to turn her face away before he can see her blush. Are the lights off? Can Reinholdt see as well in the dark as she can? "Between Soteira and I, we have founded ten military orders, consecrated thirty shrines and a dozen chapels, and approved a couple books of scripture each. The holy orders, those are pretty much groups of paladins organized into specialized army units. Jagers and Chasseurs for me, Hussars and military intelligence units for So. Once they all finish recruiting and training warrior priestesses I could have as many as two thousand women ordained. No big temples dedicated to either of us yet, but we'd rather wait for enough followers to get together and build some out of love rather than make them ourselves."

Kyne looks back down at Rein, visibly considering kissing him. But she's warmed to her subject and rolls over to lie on the bed beside him instead. "So is really busy right now preparing to go public. A proper religion instead of a mystery cult kept secret between soldiers and spies. I think the IPO will be at three orisons and two spells per day, but since her clerics have access to healing and protection magic the share price should climb like crazy. Since my spells are... more narrowly useful I don't have that kind of broad market appeal. I've been looking into divine futures contracts instead. I grant a spell to someone right away in return for an offering or sacrifice to be paid at a specific time later. Though it would leave me open to the risk that they could default on the payment, unless I go through the merchant families' and trading house's exchanges. Then I could both deal directly with trusted followers through a loyal priestess on a small scale as well as let speculators buy and sell the contracts themselves for a chance at higher sacrifices. What do you think?"

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

[Assassin's Greed]

Reinholdt considers Kyne too straightforward to be deceptive. Always wearing her emotions on her sleeve. Which might be easier to see if the lights were turned on. Perhaps. But any comparative visual acuity at night would have to be tested.

Reinholdt turns on his side, propping himself up on one shoulder to look at Kyne as she settles into the bed next to him. "Uhh... Yes. The Futures one. Always pick a plan that leaves a hopeful future open to you," Reinholdt advises as sagely as he can without knowing anything about the subject at hand. His knowledge of the money market involves walking into one, lifting one of the broker's purses, going outside, giving half to the beggar at the front steps the brokers ignored and half to himself and calling it dividends.

"It sounds to me like you have everything under control. Guess they're going to need you twenty-four seven after you get yourself in the public, huh?" Reinholdt says with the bittersweet tone of imagining that it won't exactly be goodbye per say, but that they're unlikely to see each other for months or years between.
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2020-05-11 at 06:08 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

24. - Top - End - #54

[The Fox of Wall Street]

The Huntress watches him watching her out of the corner of her eye. Feeling increasingly self-conscious at his scrutiny, not to mention the realization that it's been over a year since she's spoken this much to him all at once and it's about the military and the market for Civvy'ssake, she takes a deep breath and tries to relax her tense and wound-up body.

"You guess? Hm, well, I'm sure there will be growing pains and plenty of decisions I'll need to make to guide the direction of the formal religion... But the whole point of setting up such an organized faith and training all those priestesses is I won't have to be as hands on with the spell-granting and the miracles. Instead of having half a dozen girls who can only preach my mysteries and tend to my pack of followers in their downtime between army special missions or agency operations, I'll be able to delegate the busywork to hundreds of them. More time for other things. More time to hang out here. In the Nexus I mean. If I wanted. If you wanted." Kyne's voice is conspicuous in its casualness, like a gunwoman baiting you into drawing first. She looks at you up and down across the dusty street at high noon, then away as if you're beneath her notice. A mocking smile crosses her blood-red lips to tell you she doesn't acknowledge you as a threat. Hands ostentatiously held nowhere near her holsters. You don't have the guts, her body language proclaims. You know an invitation that bold has to be a trap. She just wants to provoke you into pulling on her, to give her the justification to beat you to the draw and shoot you through the heart. Although. If you really want to make a move on her, you're not going to get a better chance.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Fox of Wall Street]

Reinholdt awkwardly gives a half-shrug with the shoulder not keeping him upright. "I guess. I can only guess. I understand it's difficult to believe that someone of my intelligence, experience, and savoir faire doesn't know everything, but once in a while I'm surprised too. I know you're terribly disappointed that your idol is no longer perfect, but we all have to face reality some time. Truly, we've all lost something today." A tragedy for all.

He smiles at Kyne, walking into the gunslinger's trap with no regard for his own well-being. "That would be great. I would really enjoy it if we got to hang out together more," he says, lacking all coyness, showing no fluster. This was wrong. This wasn't the acceptance of a passionate duel at high noon, this was inviting a friend over to play poker for fake money. It lacked the flirtation, the romantic intent of their past. He had warned her long ago that opportunities wouldn't last forever and only now do the words hold meaning. Perhaps she could salvage it if she fought for him, or she could accept what they've only ever been: Just Friends. Reinholdt seems to have.

Or it's a complete misread and Rein's just not good at romantic displays and body language like Kyne is. "There's a lot of new people around I could introduce you to. Carlie and Kitty and Obraine and Onyeka and Tina. One of em might even be an assassin. I really should ask." He forgot to ask them if they were assassins.
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2020-05-13 at 05:46 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ghost in the Playground

Fey and Falcon Escapades

Kestrel hummed to herself, tracing fingers over the images chiselled into the pillar. What an odd creature they portrayed! In a way, they vaguely reminded her of a griffon, but were still quite different. It would be interesting to encounter some, though, as she looked around (just to be sure), there did not appear to be any winged cats soaring above or through the ruins. That was a bit disappointing, but as with most things, something else caught her attention and dragged her thoughts away from flying kittens. The plants were moving! She poked at a mass of shifting mossy vines experimentally. Probably not the wisest idea, but hey, she had Reinholdt nearby if anything did go wrong! Who needed to worry about such things silly things as 'caution' with such an experienced adventurer on standby. And besides, not poking the vegetation sounded quite boring to the bird.

27. - Top - End - #57

[The Fox of Wall Street]

Rein didn't tell her that no, actually, he doesn't want her hanging around the Nexus. Which means, without a reason to get mad and fight him, Kynegetis doesn't have an excuse to trade all these complex emotions into something easier to understand and act upon. The young Goddess can't even take offense at the 'have to face reality some time' line, because the clever cat clearly was referring to their relationship. The reality of which she's been running from for quite some time. Now she's back to the old challenge of solving problems without violence.

She sits up and tries to shove him off the bed, because maybe this problem actually can be solved with a little bit of violence how would she know if she didn't try and anyways the indignant sounds felines make when you disturb their comfort for petty reasons are a balm for the soul.
    She stands up and stalks around the room, because she thinks better on her feet and anyways her brain is demanding she choose between Fight and Flight so pushing and pacing help manage the stress that's been rising in her chest since he tucked her hair behind her ear.
    She opens drawers and paws through shelves, because she's got to do something with her hands that's not fondling weapon handles for comfort--a gesture which she admits can be terribly misconstrued--and anyways this is where he lives so a part of her mind that isn't internally screaming is fascinated by the chance to snoop around and learn whatever she can about him.

"I'd like to meet your friends. I never really made friends outside of HALO. Every time I went out into the rest of the Nexus was for... work. Or to meet people I'd probably have to work on. What are they like? Carlie and Kitty and... those are all girl names, aren't they?"
    Obraine sounds unfamiliar enough it could be a boy name for all she knows, but she's starting to suspect these aren't Just Friends Rein wants to introduce her to.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

[Fey and Falcon Escapades]

Well poking the vegetation does seem to accelerate the process considerably as the vines raise higher in the air. Near the pillar something like a green mouth appears as the plant seems to stand up. There's a brief inhale at about the same time Reinholdt shouts "Look out!" and tackle shoves Kes out of the way. The next moment a horrid cloud of gas emits from the plant where Kes just stood, catching Rein full in the face. At least the cloud is fast moving and dissipates quickly. And despite what Rein thought was about to happen, the plant hasn't eaten anyone yet. That's good. Rein doesn't instantly fall over dead either. That's also good. But he has a strange look on his face...

[The Fox of Wall Street]

Reinholdt indignantly falls off the bed. It's too short a fall to properly land on his feet and there's an accompanying yelp, cursing, and a great deal of glaring. 'Are you really this immature?' type of glaring. He has untangle from the sheets and stand up in just his leopard print boxers. He's not particularly fond of the way she's just pawing through his stuff either, but doesn't stop her. Has she always been this disrespectful?

Most of the stuff isn't worth mentioning. Kyne definitely doesn't find a porn stash or anything. There are plenty of bottles of booze tucked away for a rainy day however, though a few of them seem to have IOU one bottle of booze sticky notes on them and are clearly empty. There's also a fair number of newspapers with articles circled, authored by someone named Faith. And some books hiding on one of the shelves. Two about the local lore, two about how fathers can relate to an aloof teenager, one about what to expect about being a father to a newborn, and one that's labeled 101 Ways to Tell if it's Yours.

"They're all different I suppose." He's not going to describe each one here and now in the dead of night. But they're definitely all very different. Except maybe Obriane and Onyeka? But he doesn't know them well enough to say. "And of course they're all girls. If you had learned about something outside of HALO, you'd have learned that the Nexus has a... I dunno 70-30 split of females to males? HALO itself currently has two guys in it, including me, 1 pile of refuse, and uhhh..." Rein does some counting in his head. "... Nine women?" Reinholdt shrugs at the approximate.

"I mean, I could introduce you to Nigel if you really want, but between you and me, he's actually really boring."
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

29. - Top - End - #59

[The Fox of Wall Street]

"A dozen members? That's really good. It's been... five years since I knew more people than that in HALO." Half of which were her family, so maybe they don't count. And now that he mentions it... 4:9 for the ladies, as she recalls. Maybe she should cut him some slack.

The empty bottles are concerning and she opens her mouth to ask him what the hell's the matter before thinking better and shutting it. The newspapers are intriguing. Faith Sunsworn of The Nexus Herald? The same reporter who interviewed Kyne's father nine and a half years ago? Any journalist who's been covering the Nexus for a decade is probably worth following and it's not like Rein is clipping the articles out and connecting them with push pins and yarn. Which brings her to the books, which are increasingly troubling. So troubling that the normally surefooted Huntress has to turn around and lean her back against the wall. She tries to look at him but there seems to be some scarlet haze fogging up her vision.
    Somewhere, a wolf howls.

"I... Are you... Really, Reinholdt?"

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Fox of Wall Street]

"Oh yes. A dozen members and a partnered affiliated group of magic researchers about ten strong," Rein says proudly, having recruited about half of those people himself with Fel bringing in the other half.

Then Kyne looks like she's about to fall over and Rein takes a step towards her out of concern and confusion? "Really... what?" He looks to where she was looking and has to take a moment to peer in the darkness. "Oh."

There's an awkward silence where Reinholdt tries to figure out what he should say before he realizes he has no reason to defend himself here. "Yeah. Carlie actually. She's a pretty great woman. Very exciting. Knows what she wants and doesn't let fear stop her adventurous spirit. I was surprised too and it took me a bit to accept, but I'm really looking forward to it. Every Rein clone hears how happy Rein is with Tovia and his triplets. Or Reina even. I'm glad I get that opportunity too. It's scary, but exciting, you know?" He gives a gentle, happy laugh. "Trust me, the other clones are not letting me live it down either. But I can already tell they're jealous."

He seems to be actively avoiding the idea that the kid might not even be his and he isn't sure of that yet. But why bring up doubts and fear in front of someone who can smell those things!
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2020-05-16 at 06:47 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast