New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Reinholdt's Repository

[Charlie Alpha Tango - Rock and Roll]

"Gah! Can you believe them? Who puts billboards that close to the road anyways? It's dangerous!" Reinholdt criticizes as he comes within four inches of crashing into the thing but pulls away and back onto the road at the last second in what most certainly would have been his fault and not at all a result of poor positioning by urban development planners.

Rein pulls out a map and holds it up, blocking his view of the road for a moment and causing another swerve. "Practically there. Just around the corner." He declares before seeing the goal as he lowers the outdated parchment. Cutting across the road to make the turn in time they find the gravel driveway leading them to their final destination.

He drives up slowly, but hits the wrong pedal when told to park, causing the buggy to lurch forward until Rein swaps to the correct pedal and brings it to a sudden stop. That seems parked, so Rein cuts the engine without changing the gears, so it's a bit awkward when it starts rolling again on its own as he hops out. With an oops, he hops back in very quickly and finally gets it locked down properly before getting out again and patting the frame.

"You know, that was kinda fun. Don't tell Faith I said that though. She'd never let me hear the end of it."
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

"Maybe... Holly can drive back," Dorota says weakly. "Looks like there's a welcoming party."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post

[Milton Island Assault]

Ilpholin arrives at Inside's docks at the appointed time to meet up with her angelic ally. She contacted who she could about joining her, but it was pretty short notice and the only one she got for certain was Damon. Given this was an opportunity to recover the core of the demon staff, the core of all demons, it was too good a chance to wait and do things properly. Still, a sling satchel crossing her shoulder suggests she's come prepared as best she can.

Now let's see how many of those devoted soldiers Cerabella promised showed up.
    [Milton Island Assault]

Damon arrives at the appointed ti-

No, scratch that, he just walked out of a particularly shadowy corner of the docks. He's probably been here a while. Arriving at the appointed time is hard when you don't have a watch, but he's very good at lurking.

Perhaps to make sure Ilpholin can actually identify him clearly, only his eyes are masked with flames, meaning for once he isn't completely cloaked in darkness. "At your ssservice, Ilpholin." A summons from Ilpholin to do some demon-related killing? There was no way he wasn't going to show up.
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Charlie Alpha Delta - Rock and Roll]

Holly was holding on so she's perfectly fine even when Rein swerves.

She glances over when Dorota suggests Holly drive back.
    To be honest, she's not sure whether that suggestion would make it easier or harder to convince him to let her drive. She supposes it all depends on his reaction. But, regardless, it completely throws off everything she was planning on saying and doing: now that someone actually brought it up, everything she was going to do is now going to seem like it was intentional, to make her driving the most reasonable thing. (Granted, it would have been intentional, but she would have done her best to make it appear accidental. But now? He's going to be on his guard and will probably notice the little things and suggestions.) Holly looks over at Rein, anticipating his reaction to see just how far off it threw her plans...or if it just solved all the problems at once. "Yes, it was pretty fun."
    Her mind starts racing to adjust to all the new possibilities and variables.

Anyway.
    She gets out of the car, too, and before she goes around to grab her bag/everything else, she glances around to get a bearing on what sort of situation they're in: château, Prometheus Defense, professionals, recordings...okay. She has a decent idea.
    She steps towards the white-haired man (who waved for them to park) and raises her voice, asking, "Where would you like us to go? And where should we put our stuff?"
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Barbarian in the Playground

The white-haired man tenses up as the buggy abruptly moves forward. By the time Reinholdt gets back out after putting it in the right gear he is distinctly looking like he regrets asking for their help. Hopefully the second impression goes better. "Hi, I'm Phantom. The one in charge here. I appreciate you coming here so quickly to help us." He walks up to Holly and takes his hand off the rifle slung from his chest to offer it to her. "We've got our TOC set up on the second floor, if you want to bring your gear up there. The fatalities are in the walk in freezer and the... petrified people we put in a room towards the rear of the building, both on the first floor."
    He looks over at the two guys approaching. They're not in earshot yet, but he keeps his voice quiet and casual as he speaks. "First thing's first though: I'd like to know who you people are, why your number was an emergency contact for us, and how I should introduce you to the client. Because you two," a friendly wave of his hand encompassing Holly and Dorota, "don't look like Prometheus techs to me. And he," an accusatory point of the finger at Rein, "is 200 pounds of trouble in a 10 pound feline form."
    “Me quoque per multos similis fortuna labores
    iactatam hac demum voluit consistere terra.
    Non ignara mali, miseris succurrere disco.”

– Publius Vergilius Maro, The Aeneid

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

"What? No... I can handle it-" Rein glances at Holly who said it was fun. She has been cooped up for so long, she's probably been itching for this mission and would appreciate a driving opportunity. "Yeah, I guess. I mean, it's just fair if we share turns." They'll have to make up to Dorota and let her drive some other time.

Reinholdt goes around to the back to pull out the gear for them. "Introduce as we are - HALO. You know, the number you called? This is Dorota, long respected alchemist from the commercial sector and this is Holly, a fresh set of eyes and a private investigator. Speaking of..." Rein finds his bag and pulls out a gray fedor that belongs in a noir film and not on the pink eyed man's head. But that's where it's dramatically going via a flip and two fingers holding onto the brim.

"You already know ME, Reinholdt, Treasure Hunter Extraordinaire!" Wait... Is he a detective or a tomb raider right now? "If I can't solve the crime, you pay double. Now, when were the bodies found?" Rein asks as he moves up to the two guys approaching and offers them the luggage so they can help carry it in for Rein, apparently not caring that one of them is holding a camera.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Wait, they weren't expecting them? Reinholdt didn't mention that. It doesn't do much to ease Dorota's nervousness.

"Yes, I'm Dorota Séregon, an alchemist from HALO," she says. She otherwise lets Phantom answer the question for now. Wait... did Reinholdt say they'll pay double if he can't solve the crime? That doesn't make a lot of sense...
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

8. - Top - End - #98

Holly shakes his hand and smiles at him.
    But, already introduced, Holly doesn't bother adding anything else; instead, she just nods to confirm that what Rein said is true. Yeah, she is a private investigator. presume you already have reports that can get us up to speed on all the other details, right?" she asks. This group looks professional enough that they'd have that available. Holly imagines that'd make it pretty easy to find out what they already know and such, such as where the petrifications and the attacks happened, and so on.

With the question of where to bring things answered, Holly goes to grab some more of the luggage and things, so she can carry them herself.

Even though she is busy grabbing things from the car, she doesn't let that distract her from what Phantom will say to answer the question Rein asked.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ghost in the Playground

[Fey and Falcon Escapades]

Fortunately for the flustered falcon, a distraction from her shameful (and confused) thoughts would come soon. For upon the moment she entered the room, the strangest feeling touched her mind and she heard a quiet voice. And then Reinholdt slapped himself for some reason. Not the response she'd personally go for, but it seemed about in line with his current behaviour.

"Soooooooooo, we've got a puzzle to do. Easy as, no sweat!" This was a lie. Kestrel was absolutely terrible at puzzles. She didn't have have an attention span long enough to solve them. Walking up to the pedestal, Kestrel examined the vases like she had any clue where to start, "hmm"ing and "hah"ing as she did so. They certainly had colours and pictures on them.

10. - Top - End - #100

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    '[Milton Island Assault]

Ilpholin arrives at Inside's docks at the appointed time to meet up with her angelic ally. She contacted who she could about joining her, but it was pretty short notice and the only one she got for certain was Damon. Given this was an opportunity to recover the core of the demon staff, the core of all demons, it was too good a chance to wait and do things properly. Still, a sling satchel crossing her shoulder suggests she's come prepared as best she can.

Now let's see how many of those devoted soldiers Cerabella promised showed up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnrlshrimp View Post
    [Milton Island Assault]

Damon arrives at the appointed ti-

No, scratch that, he just walked out of a particularly shadowy corner of the docks. He's probably been here a while. Arriving at the appointed time is hard when you don't have a watch, but he's very good at lurking.

Perhaps to make sure Ilpholin can actually identify him clearly, only his eyes are masked with flames, meaning for once he isn't completely cloaked in darkness. "At your ssservice, Ilpholin." A summons from Ilpholin to do some demon-related killing? There was no way he wasn't going to show up.
    [Milton Island Assault]

At the appointed time, Cerabella appears in a flash of light. The angel could be best described as a female humanoid with a eagle's head dressed in golden armor that's floating just above the ground. "Good tidings." She greets with a nod towards Ilpholin, just giving Damon a brief glance. Her bird face expression impossible to read.

"We have a vehicle, an uforian wagon, which can fly you there in half the time any seabound vessel would. It's an relic of a bygone era, but it should work just fine for our purposes. The purpose of holy war." The eagle-like eyes turn to Damon again. "Is this one ready for it?"

11. - Top - End - #101

"HALO. Of course you are. That's just my fate, huh?" Phantom laughs and gives Dorota and Holly an apologetic smile before addressing the two civilians being handed gear by Reinholdt.

"Galvur, it is my honor to introduce you to Reinholdt, Dorota, and Holly from HALO. I only know them by reputation," because they just met 10 seconds ago, "but their organization is like family to me." Technically literally true, although this may come as news to the HALO members here. "I have no doubt their expertise and experience will help us put an end to these horrific attacks. You three, it is my honor to introduce you to Galvur, the band's business manager, and Zarbhkeniuw, the cameraman. They've been very professional, for civilians, and we're going to do everything we can to get them home safe, right? Right." Smiles all around!

Galvur is a dwarf with a long black beard. He's wearing an ostentatiously expensive Hawaiian shirt made out of silk, with the pineapples embroidered in gold thread. When Rein offers him luggage he looks confused, but takes it. He sets it down to make short bows to all three HALOers, then picks it back up. "The honor is all mine. Thank you for coming to our rescue."

Zarbhkeniuw is a grey skinned alien with a large head and four black eyes, two in the usual spot and then two more on the back of his head. He's wearing a black polo with some kind of logo or scribble embroidered in white on the breast. He hesitates when offered something to carry, but turns off his camera so he can take it.

"TOC, Phantom, coming in with two principals and three guests, over." The white-haired man murmurs into his headset before attempting to herd everyone up the stairs and inside the building. "Okay, timing. Three nights ago the caretaker went out for a cigar and a walk after dinner, as he'd done every night we've been here. When he hadn't returned in half an hour, I sent both IMVs out looking and we found him turned to stone. No signs of... of anything, really, so we hunkered down and made a thorough search of the grounds at first light. Two nights ago one of my people on watch outside the building failed to report on schedule and failed to respond to queries from the TOC. Found him pierced from behind and beheaded. Again, no traces of the attacker. Last night we barricaded every entrance to the building and set double watches on all four sides. One of the sentries on the east side called out a contact late at night and opened fire. The other one on that side didn't see what he was shooting at from their position, hurried over to his position to get a better angle, and got there just in time to watch him being turned to stone. Not a bloody sight or sound for hours, so we thought that was it for the night. But then an hourly check of the principals revealed one, the sound tech, wasn't in her bed. We found her in a bathroom stabbed and decapitated like the first fatality." He tries to keep his voice professional, reporting the facts with cold detachment. But he can't hide his frustration and shame at how badly such a simple job went wrong.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

"No sweat! None! Birds don't sweat." Reinholdt repeats, nodding sagely, before staring intently at one of the vases for a few seconds. He gets bored of that and lies down his back nearby, rolling back and forth with his belly exposed.

At least until he bumps into a pedestal and the vase atop starts to wobble precariously, threatening to fall over and break! Oh no!

[Milton Island Assault]

"Damon," Ilpholin says simply when he makes his appearance. "Glad you could make it." His hatred of demons made him trustworthy and his unique... talents made his company appealing. She cannot fault the King in Rags' recruitment capabilities.

The sudden light draws Ilpholin's attention away. "And this is Cerabella. Her kind is sworn to eradicate the demons. Together, we may have located their Central Processing Unit. Retrieving it is top priority." The computer lingo just slipped out without notice as Ilpholin briefly explains things to Damon. She'll let him confirm his own commitment to the cause. She has no doubts about his fervor.

"Then we fly." The nymph says, prepared to follow Cerabella to this uforian wagon.

Rein's as surprised as Dorota that they didn't know who they called. They said they understood the whole R&R Prometheus reference so Rein just figured they got ahold of who they were trying to reach.

Minor details!

There are real details to be had. This group was clearly being targeted given the range of victims and time. A gorgon assassin who takes their time? Someone shot at something.

"Always at night?" Guess they have a couple hours then at least. "Well, I trust my experts to take it from here. Please give them your full co-operation." Rein requests, letting Holly and Dorota take over the investigation as he abruptly puts his hands in pockets and starts walking away. Or, more accurately starts walking around the château, but to be fair, it is the closest corner with which to walk dramatically out of sight.

Granted, it's all just a thinly veiled excuse to scope the outside and see just how barricaded the place really is.
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2020-09-30 at 10:13 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

13. - Top - End - #103

[Milton Island Assault]

Damon stares blankly at Cerabella.

By way of answer, he remains completely still as black fire spreads down his arm and along his axe, held loosely in his hand.

"Do not doubt me." He says, finally, wiping the fire away with a flick of his wrist.

"We go at your leissssure. Though-" He glances back towards Ilpholin, "I would not mind a few more detailss on the way." All it took was the promise of violence against demons to get him here, but Damon would like to know what he's in for, all the same.
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Like family to him? Clearly there's a lot Dorota doesn't know. But that's irrelevant. She has to focus on the details of the case instead. Especially since Reinholdt just dramatically stalked away. Oh well.

"Two people killed, two people turned to stone," she says. "If I can examine the bodies and the statues, I might be able to get a better idea of what happened to them."

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ghost in the Playground

"They don't?" Kestrel blinked a few times, surprised to learn this. Birds didn't sweat, huh? Or wait... was this just more of Reinholdt being weird? Of course, Kestrel knew that she herself did indeed sweat, but as birdness goes she was only really like 10-20% bird, the rest was all human. Or something. Did that mean she sweat 20% less than the average person..?

She was drawn from her runaway thoughts all of a sudden when Reinholdt bumped into the pedestal, and she had to rush over, barely grabbing the vase in time to prevent it from smashing upon the ground. Oi, watch out! We don't wanna break these! We need them for this puzzle or... whatever it is."

16. - Top - End - #106

[Milton Island Assault]

Cerabella's eagle-eyes lock onto Damon. "Very well, I shall share my part as we walk." She gestures for them to follow, starting to head towards the east section of the docks.
    "I have aquired twelve sol guards for this task." She explains more to Ilpholin than Damon as there's little context. "A disappointing number but a number nonetheless. Along with them comes a speaker and two techniques who will be aiding us in other ways." The angel turns her head to look at them while she walks. "I believe they've prepared gifts for you, as is customary for their people. You will do best at accepting them as refusal would be considered quite rude."

She gestures forward. "The chariot that will take us there is driven by the blessed energy of the sun itself so I hope that Damon don't have some kind of aversion to it. That would be unfortunate."

17. - Top - End - #107

There does seem to be a pattern. Last night with both a turning-to-stone and a stab-decapitation kind-of throws off the pattern, a little, though.

Holly goes along with the herding into the building.

"It does appear we'll have a couple hours to examine the places it happened," she says, keeping things on the same level of professionalism. After they put their things in place; Holly still is carrying a bunch. "Is there anything you were able to tell about the mechanisms for turning to stone? Or is that still unknown?" Actually, what she's most curious about is whether they're fully stone all the way through, or just stone on the outside. Or if it's solid stone or there's still organ-shapes. She's sure she could tell that in person, but...it's a weird question to ask.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

18. - Top - End - #108

[Charlie Alpha Tango - 4 Hours Until Sunfall]

The white-haired soldier watches Reinholdt walk away with a conflicted expression. On the one hand, he really doesn't want to let that guy out of his sight for even a second. Who knows what might happen? On the other hand, he was the one to ask them for help and even if they're HALO and not some splinter Prometheus boffins he's just going to have to trust them. Besides, they can get more done if they split up. Daylight's wasting.

Phantom leads Dorota and Holly into the château and up to the second floor, politely sending Galvur and Zarbhkeniuw on their way after they set the luggage down in the TOC. The Tactical Operations Center is located in a windowless conference room. A very young looking man in brand new tactical gear is sitting in front of a laptop and a rack of sophisticated communications equipment. On the table next to him are two consoles with monitors showing views of the parking lot and joysticks. He quickly stands up and helps the HALO members set up their gear on the other end of the long wooden table. "Dorota, Holly, this is my comms guy Echo. If I'm not around he can find me or get whatever you need. Echo, these are Dorota, an alchemist, and Holly, an investigator. They're from HALO."

"We have no idea how it happened. Magic, I assume. But maybe some... supernatural ability of a monster? I'll take you down to the kitchen and we'll examine the, uh, the fatalities first."
    After all of the luggage gets unloaded and the equipment gets set up, Phantom will want to lead the ladies back down the stairs to the first floor. He is moving quickly, but without rushing. If they have questions for him or Echo they'll stay in the TOC.

Meanwhile, Reinholdt is on a stroll. There's not much to see on the west side of the building. All the first floor windows have been blocked on the inside by tables. The second and third floor windows are mostly closed and barricaded, but a few are cracked open. Firing slits, probably. There's a door, but it's locked. Continuing along to the north side of the building, he'll see more of the same. But the rear double doors are propped open and an orc is sitting on the stone steps, plucking the same sad bars out on a guitar over and over again.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

"Don't they?" Reinholdt replies, but it doesn't make much sense if you think about it. Best not to then.

Thinking is how you drop vases! But that one didn't drop, so Rein sits up and peers at it more closely. "Whatever it is?" He gets on his feet and stares at the earthenware intently. "Well... If we take these and sell them as a collection, we could get a really good price for them. Ancient artifacts these are! More than that, I think this is your pay day."

All Kes has gotta do is ignore the puzzle and the door, and take these vases from their holy resting spot.

[Milton Island Assault]

"I'll tell you what I can," Ilpholin assures Damon while they move. "I have been tracking demon attacks on fey settlements for awhile now. While investigating one such area, I found Cerabella perusing the wreckage," Ilpholin lazily waves a hand at the bird head.

"The demons hate the fey because large gatherings of them can allow Cerabella's people through, all of whom have declared holy war on the demons. I intended to find them a good access point, but the nature of the demons came up. The demons might operate individually, but they don't operate independently. They're all akin to a hive mind. And the further up you off one of them, there's a cascade effect on those below them. So taking out Sargon for instance would be devastating."

"Or we could go straight to the source. The demon staffs that the gnolls created long ago hold the essence of the dead god the demons originate from. I had the pith, the core of the staff, and tried to destroy it once. It failed and the pith disappeared, but left a trail that we have tracked to an island. Said island has a bunker of sorts, and a lot of gnolls milling about. It's not hard to suggest that the very gnolls who created the staff had some hand in this and it's highly likely the pith is within the compound. I'm working on alternatives to eradicating it, but we must retrieve it first."

That's the gist of things as remembered.

For now, it seems gifts must be had though? That's unexpected as far as Ilpholin's concerned.

[Charlie Alpha Tango - 4 Hours Remain]

Reinholdt takes quiet note of the state of things before coming across the orc and pausing, leaning against the building as he listens to the orc's sad tune. He wouldn't interrupt normally, but it seems the orc is stuck on repeat.

"Who are you playing for?" Sad tunes are usually played for someone. Rein's guessing the sound tech, given the freshness of the body.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

[Charlie Alpha Tango - 4 Hours Remain]

Dorota has no questions for now. She'll start asking them once she has seen the bodies of the killed and petrified. For now she'd rather not speculate too much.

21. - Top - End - #111

[Milton Island Assault]

There is a disgruntled hiss from Damon upon hearing that their method of transportation is bright.

Yes. Yes he does have an aversion to it. This will not be fun.

"You sseek an even greater victory than what I ssought." Damon mutters in response to Ilpholin's info-dump. "If your ssuccesss caussess enough disssruption to prevent what I wass ssshown, then thiss isss definitely worthwhile."

Gifts sound...concerning. If they're flying on a sun-chariot, if the gift is some similarly bright thing, Damon will not be happy.

"By the ssound of it, I will be practically blind for the journey. I hope you are not intending to crasssh your chariot directly into their lair."

22. - Top - End - #112

[Charlie Alpha Tango - 4 Hours Until Sunfall]

Holly also drops the luggage, too.

"Hi, it's nice to meet you," she says to Echo.

When the conversation is turned back, Holly comments, "I've heard of some poisons that can do that too," but she's not sure if they use magic or nanobots or anything else like that because she hasn't had a chance to look at them yet.

The half-elf does have some questions, but figures right now isn't the best time to ask them -- especially because some of them she could find out on her own easier. She moves on with Phantom to the kitchen.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2020-10-03 at 12:34 PM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

23. - Top - End - #113

[Charlie Alpha Tango - Reinholdt]

The orc starts and the music ends. He looks at Rein with a medley of surprise, embarrassment, and fear. "Woah! Oh Pit, you scared me, man. Where'd you come from? Are you..." the thing killing them? What a stupid question, what would he even do if Rein said yes? Better to leave it unasked and slowly stand in preparation for sprinting up the steps.

[Charlie Alpha Tango - Dorota and Holly]

To the walk-in freezer then. Phantom shows them the corpses, then keeps the freezer door propped open with his back, facing away from the grisly sight. They're both zipped up in body bags on the floor. The first one, the security contractor, is straightforward in an alarming way. As far as the HALO investigators will be able to tell, he was first impaled from behind by something long and narrow. It went through kevlar, a thick ceramic plate, the human's spine, his chest, another layer of kevlar and ceramic, and then a metal gun magazine on the front of his vest. The wound would have paralyzed him instantly and the blood loss would have killed him quickly thereafter, but the fatal blow came from a smooth cut that severed his neck. As far as they can tell, it was a single stroke of something extremely sharp.

The second body, the sound tech, is noticeably different. The gnome female has been stabbed multiple times in the back--5 at least, although they're all right on top of each other, so the lines of each stab are hard to differentiate. However, there are no exit wounds on her front. She has also been beheaded, although Holly's anatomical experience will help her see how rough the cut across her neck is. More of a slow, sawing motion than a single swift movement.

Both fatalities have similarities, like neither expecting the lethal attack, but the variances between them feel significant. Will Dorota and Holly do anything else with the bodies or will they ask to see the people turned to stone next?

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

[Charlie Alpha Tango - Reinholdt]

"Around the corner back there." Reinholdt jerks his head to indicate the corner of the building.

"But yes, it's true," Reinholdt runs his hand through his hair. "I AM the legendary Reinholdt, Treasure Hunter EXTRAORDINAIRE!" Rein performs his flourish with a grand smile.

"I'm not surprised you recognize me. But fear not, your valuables are safe today. I am here to assist you in your plight. If you can help me that is. Do you have a moment to talk?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

25. - Top - End - #115

[Milton Island Assault]

"A direct assault would be best, but this does complicate things. But perhaps something can be arranged to ease your aversion? Perhaps the crew will have something for you. We'll see." The angel stops for a moment as her eagle eyes lock on to Damon once more before shifting over to Ilpholin. "I'm open to suggestions, but the island we're assaulting have no good spaces to land so we don't have a lot of options. It will better than a sea vehicle at least, I can tell you that much. The cliffs surrounding cliffs would make it difficult for most mortal engines to get close and you don't want to swim in those waters."

Cerabella turns around and starts walking again.
    It seems like she's seem to be heading out of the docks and towards one of the residential areas of Inside.
    Eventually seeing something that stands out even by Inside's standards. On a parking lot a huge oval circular object is taking up at least six spots. The made of a completely smooth yellow material which has a glass-like quality to it which seems to be catching the sun's reflection, potentially blinding them if they stare at it too long. Damon in particular.

There seem to be people moving about the area, but while they can't get a good look at them from here it's easy to spot how avian their movements are. Like a group of ostriches moving about.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2020-10-06 at 09:20 AM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ghost in the Playground

Kestrel opened her mouth to protest on taking the vases, but then she hesitates for a moment. It's not like anyone was using them right now. And whoever they belonged to before was probably long dead. So, it basically wasn't stealing, right..? Finders keepers, and all that. And how often was it that she actually had adventures that paid well? Not often, that was for sure. I... huh, I like the sound of that." Just one small problem then...

"So how do we get out of here with the vases then? Like, we gotta figure out this door puzzle. Orrrrrrrr break it down. Whatever floats your boat." She started examining the pedestals and vases more closely, before making her way over to poke at the stone door.
    Last edited by Meowmai; 2020-10-06 at 10:50 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

[Milton Island Assault]

Ilpholin rolls her eyes a little. "It was hyperbole. No one expects a direct assault to include crashing the vehicle and we're not that desperate. Just get us there, I'll jump out with Damon, no problem." By which she means she intends to physically scoop him up and leap out of the moving vehicle with him. Yes, a much safer plan.

She follows along otherwise. As they approach the Dawn's Chariot, she tilts her head away for a moment, but only long enough for her optronics to compensate. "I never asked, but how are you related to birds anyways?" Ilpholin queries, noting the avian-like nature of the others.

"We... Umm... Hmm, this is tough," Reinholdt apparently hadn't thought of that. "How DO we get a boat in here?" That is the best way to move these vases after all. It's such a conundrum that Reinholdt moves to the corner of the room and sits down, hand on chin, just attempting to puzzle it out.

Kestrel won't find anything special about the vases, but she will note that the pedestals they are atop of are all sunken slightly into the floor, as if they were being weighed down. No doubt by the vases themselves.

The door is worn and there's clear evidence where there used to by intricate decorations and patterns on the surface. She may find this odd because it is a striking difference from the vases which seem brand new. Though the door does match the state of the rest of the old temple. If she actually pokes the door, she'll feel it shift lightly under her touch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Dorota does her best to keep her composure, but seeing dead bodies is not natural for her. She knew she'd likely have to do it when she joined HALO, though, so she perseveres. Holly is more likely to notice something first, however.

29. - Top - End - #119

[Milton Island Assault]

Damon is disgruntled. As they observe their method of transportation, Damon rather pointedly keeps his gaze up and redoubles the strength of the flames protecting his eyes. In regular sunlight, it's effective enough to let him more-or-less see normally, and it's enough to at least let him see a bit in even the harshest light if he squints. But this...this is going to be particularly bad, isn't it?

"Hmmph. Merely joking, of coursse. I'm ssure no one iss planning on ssmasshing directly into their headquarterss. Sstill, I am in agreement with Ilpholin'ss ssugesstion of jumping out. I have any number of flight-capable formss to enable a sssteady desscent."

30. - Top - End - #120

Holly kneels down next to the body bags and unzips them to examine what happened and the injuries. When she gets to the gnome female, she mutters something: "Was this one some sort of copycat attack?"

The second attack, on the sound tech, isn't really that interesting to examine: it looks like it could have been done with any old half-dull kitchen knife or pocket knife. There's no real clues that are immediately obvious.

She moves back to the first, to get a closer look at the injury. The Kevlar, honestly, isn't that surprising. Kevlar is actually pretty easy to pierce through: all you need is something sharp enough. Which, judging by the rest of the injury, there clearly is something sharp enough. What's more concerning is the ceramic - she reaches to the ceramic to get a closer look on whether it shattered or was cleanly pierced. Shattering would be normally expected, but given what it did to that metal, it wouldn't be impossible to just cleanly have pierced it. "So...this was caused by something sharp - able to both cut and pierce - but also incredibly durable. Likely moving very fast." Turning to Phantom, she asks, "Do you know if anyone brought in a machine or something that could do that here?"
    Probably not. He seems pretty calm and smart; if there were, he probably would have already looked into it and found it.

...Actually, she has one more thing she wants to check. She gets close - especially to the neck - to look for evidence of burned flesh. Some sort of energy weapon could probably do this.
    And then she looks at the stab wound, especially around the ceramic and the metal in the front, looking for pieces of debris or broken materials that might have been damaged and fallen off of whatever caused the injury.

Regardless, she zips both back up and stands. "Before seeing the bodies, I was expecting them to have died the same way, but it's pretty obvious that a completely different weapon was used for both."

"...Take us to the petrified victims, please?" she asks. "I'm actually starting to wonder if they were actually petrified by the same method, or - like here - two different things." That would be pretty weird and would make everything so much harder.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.