Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [OOC] The Maze of Shattered Souls

Welcome to the The Maze of Shattered Souls Campaign!

For your first post, please include your character's name, class and race as well as a link to your character sheet. Additionally, please also select the color for your speech. As DM, I get to pick first and I choose: Maroon , Saddle Brown and Brown. :)

Players:

Player Class Role
    CateranEnforcer Changeling Monk Striker
    Snowbluff Hamadryad Paladin/Hospitaler Defender
    CasualViking Rain the Runepriest Leader
    Dimers Drow Invoker Controller
    Dr.Samurai Half-elf Hunter Controller
    MinotaurWarblad Noah, Half-Elf Fighter Defender
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2020-01-15 at 10:02 PM.
    DMing:
    The Heroes of Jinshu - IC / OOC / Doc
    The Forge of Fury - IC / OOC / Doc
    The Maze of Shattered Souls - IC / OOC / Doc

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [OOC] The Maze of Shattered Souls

Wooooo! I'll take teal, please.

Jhera (no last name) is a drow invoker, MCed to assassin and to "Bravo", serving The Traveler.

Spoiler: babbling about the build's history
    Show
    I came up with the Widow of Arach-Tinilith irresistible damage idea a while back when I was thinking about servants of the divine who don't LIKE the fact they were Chosen. Serving an evil god very reluctantly and under duress, ya know? The original idea was a person chosen by the poison god Zehir to find or research the perfect poison -- something capable of killing gods, killing ideas, killing worlds. In the process I found out that "zehir" means "poison" in Turkic languages. The name "Jhera" came from the same searches. The character concept has wandered a bit since then, but I'm keepin' the name.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Noah is an off-duty house lyrander sky captain. He's a half-elf fighter with a multiclass to swordmage. Right now he's taking on a personal mission for someone that told him to investigate a location in the Demon Wastes. The color of his voice will be gold.
    Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2020-01-16 at 02:24 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Nymphaea Caerulea is a hamadryad refugee turned adventurer. She is a paladin with an emphasis on attack penalties and healing.
    She will speak in green.

Her pet displacer beast is named Coeurl.

Also we seem to have a defensive heavy team. I kinda wish I had finished my alternate striker build.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Picture
    Show

Rain, the boisterous warrior woman and priestess of the Eldeen Reaches, speaks in Bold Red..

She is a Longtooth Shifter, melee Runepriest, mixing it up on the frontline with her glaive, healing and handing out bonuses.
    Last edited by CasualViking; 2020-01-16 at 04:10 AM.
    Semper ludens.

6. - Top - End - #6

Also we seem to have a defensive heavy team. I kinda wish I had finished my alternate striker build.
    If it makes you feel better, I'm pretty far toward the striker end of the invoker spectrum, including powers that give us bonuses to hit and the enemies penalties to defense. And Cateran's monk is top flight. Both are especially good for minion-popping, though I don't know how relevant that'll be.

Most of my powers are safe for allies and a couple work better when an ally is in the area, so I encourage y'all to wade right into melee.

Current games list

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Joint buff tracker.

I figure this might be handy.
    Last edited by CasualViking; 2020-01-16 at 11:17 AM.
    Semper ludens.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

This is Rin the Changing Monk raised among the dragon worshippers of Argonessen.

A sometimes operative for the Chamber dragons, Rin places the Prophecy to a contemplative and almost spiritual level. His adventuring face is a Dragonborn female but the party knows his true nature as a changeling. He'll speak in grey sometimes in bold or italics .

Oh and with Rin's solid defenses and two defenders, I may try to trigger your marks by playing recklessly. I also did think about dropping Water Gives Way since it's an immediate action for Stunning Fist, to be immune to stun and daze one fight a day.
    Last edited by CateranEnforcer; 2020-01-16 at 07:47 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    If it makes you feel better, I'm pretty far toward the striker end of the invoker spectrum, including powers that give us bonuses to hit and the enemies penalties to defense. And Cateran's monk is top flight. Both are especially good for minion-popping, though I don't know how relevant that'll be.

Most of my powers are safe for allies and a couple work better when an ally is in the area, so I encourage y'all to wade right into melee.
    True, you and CV seemed to picked up some damaging abilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by CasualViking View Post
    Joint buff tracker.

I figure this might be handy.
    Speaking of, I give a +1 shield bonus to AC. Maybe ask Fellhammer to swap out your defensive polerm feat?
    Quote Originally Posted by CateranEnforcer View Post
    This is Rin the Changing Monk raised among the dragon worshippers of Argonessen.

A sometimes operative for the Chamber dragons, Rin places the Prophecy to a contemplative and almost spiritual level. His adventuring face is a Dragonborn female but the party knows his true nature as a changeling. He'll speak in grey sometimes in bold or italics .

Oh and with Rin's solid defenses and two defenders, I may try to trigger your marks by playing recklessly. I also did think about dropping Water Gives Way since it's an immediate action for Stunning Fist, to be immune to stun and daze one fight a day.
    Sounds good to me. This team is meaty so we should take advantage of that to get some damage in.
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

10. - Top - End - #10

Chimera

Thumbs up Re: [OOC] The Maze of Shattered Souls

As a defender, I've got a lot of ways to make extra attacks and toss out control effects like sliding and proning. I mark everything in an AoE at will, but I can avoid overriding Nymphaea's mark and have a couple ways to help trigger hers. Funnily enough, our hunter has per-encounter action punishment as well. So if we don't all activate attacks/powers on the same trigger, we may be able to enforce a catch-22 on the entire battlefield for the entire encounter. Especially with both Noah and Nymphaea having glowering threat (yikes).
    Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2020-01-16 at 02:09 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Hello everyone!

Please check out the Doc.

- The Battle Grid is the page where the battle map is housed. You are free to move your minis around and the minis of the enemies (if you force move them). This will also be where we track initiative. The page also includes a legend for the terrain features color and effect.

- The New Combat Sheet is where the magic happens. When in combat, roll an attack here on the forums. Take that number and input it into the appropriate cell (AC/Fort/Ref/Will), the doc will automatically tell you if you hit or not. If you do hit, please input your damage. If your ability adds a status effect to the opponent, place an X in the appropriate column, then note who caused the effect and when it ends. If the status effect affects the AC of the opponent, the doc will automatically take that into account and drop the opponent's AC for all future attacks. If your abilities Increase or Decrease an enemies' or allies' AC/Fort/Ref/Will directly, please note it under "Put adjustments here", then note when the effect ends. The Doc will automatically take into consideration any adjustments done for future attacks. If you abilities affect enemies or allies in other ways, please note that under "Other Positive/Negative Effects". This is a little complicated until you get the hang of it. Feel free to play around with the enemies to get a feel for how the New Combat Sheet works. If you have any questions, feel free to ask :)

- The other pages are pretty self explanatory. If you guys have any specific requests for the Wishlist, please note it on the appropriate page. I will try to add those items to the potential loot for the adventure :)
    DMing:

12. - Top - End - #12

Should we enter our own info in the right-hand end of the New Combat sheet?

Current games list

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Should we enter our own info in the right-hand end of the New Combat sheet?
    Totally forgot to include that! Yes, please do :)
    DMing:

14. - Top - End - #14

Hmm, could you add lines for Coeurl and Noah's owlbear? (I don't recall seeing a name, sorry.) My familiar shouldn't need an entry because its defenses are the same as mine and it only has 1 hit point.

Current games list

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm, could you add lines for Coeurl and Noah's owlbear? (I don't recall seeing a name, sorry.) My familiar shouldn't need an entry because its defenses are the same as mine and it only has 1 hit point.
    Done
    DMing:

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

DMing:

17. - Top - End - #17

I'll generally start my day with a deliverance of faith. I've updated the combat doc with one lost surge and the resulting temp hit points.

It's a small gamble -- will I face a combat/trap/hazard that deals 21 damage before my next rest? That's the break-even point. One unnecessary surge isn't a big price to pay when life is so mild that I'm taking little-or-no damage. The power doesn't get actively good unless I take 84 damage before getting healing, and then suddenly it's the difference between "still up and kicking" and "personally screwed and not doing anything to prevent a TPK". There's plenty of healing in this party, so it'll probably never get that bad. So it's for flavor more than anything else. An emotion-driven person whose formative years were spent in a warzone ... is gonna want extra protection.

Current games list

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

I have finally made it!

I will choose Medium Blue, as I don't think anyone has chosen that color.

Similarly to Dimers, I think it can be assumed that Cato is in the Lynx stance for that sweet Initiative bonus. Unless stated otherwise.

19. - Top - End - #19

Aaaaand the starting knowledge checks are the two none of us have trained. Quite a nice time to roll a 20, though!

Current games list

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Lol, yeah not the most educated group .

Also, just in case anyone missed it... those rolls that Fel makes are without modifiers so don't forget to add your modifier to them before you check the DCs.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know if I want Nymphaea to be the one to point out it again that she things we should do our best to follow the thief.

Also, Casual Viking, does your polearm defense feat's shield bonus stack with the free one I give everyone? :0

22. - Top - End - #22

I don't know if I want Nymphaea to be the one to point out it again that she thinks we should do our best to follow the thief.
    Dr.Samurai suggested one way to start that IC. None of my rituals or powers will help here. Any other ideas on how to chase our superthief?

Current games list

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Dr.Samurai suggested one way to start that IC. None of my rituals or powers will help here. Any other ideas on how to chase our superthief?
    Well like I said IC, if the only ways of getting to the location on the tablet in time is an airship, just check the airship ports? Like, assuming that this fact is true, it would get us to the right direction to intercept the other people going to the artifacts. I'm not much help if we're just eyeballing things either way, so how about Noah and I check this lead out?
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2020-01-23 at 12:12 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Chimera

My answer IC depends on how much leeway Fel is willing to give Noah with his House.

25. - Top - End - #25

Well like I said IC, if the only ways of getting to the location on the tablet in time is an airship, just check the airship ports? Like, assuming that this fact is true, it would get us to the right direction to intercept the other people going to the artifacts.
    Ohhhhh I gotcha. Working on the assumption that the thief would understand what the poem is hinting at and would try to trigger the events. I was going completely the opposite way, figuring the thief was interested in the superweapon Orb Of Kevrik thing described on the tablet's front side. We don't have any leads on that. Though that's one thing a ritual might be able to help with -- Consult Mystic Sages can pull up info on a snippet of history. If we go that route, I'm gonna ask for the Professor to chip in on ritual costs, since it'd leave me with approximately one speck of residuum.

Current games list

26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Oh, the Labyrinth is a place in the Demon Wastes, isn't it. That explains my confusion. That makes more sense now. I was confused about how we all seemed to know where to go but me. Heh.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MinotaurWarblad View Post
    My answer IC depends on how much leeway Fel is willing to give Noah with his House.
    What's your plan?
    DMing:

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

My comment about an airship is based on the distance between Sharn and the Demon Wastes, and the fact that there is a mountain range to cross. But I could be off. That's why Cato asked the question. I was expecting our illustrious professor to answer the question lol .

But if confirmed I was thinking along the same lines as Snowbluff.

So we can look for any clues in the office right now, speak with the guy that made the safe, and (if the airship angle is real) check the airship ports.

But I don't know if we're also just supposed to head right the Labyrinth first and sort of bump into our quarry either.

Just roleplaying at this point .

The ritual sounds like a good idea Dimers.

So potential leads:

- Ritual for information.
    - Safe installer?
    - Airships in town?
    - Any clues in office.
    - Maybe I could speak to agents in House Tarkanan and see if they know anything?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, Casual Viking, does your polearm defense feat's shield bonus stack with the free one I give everyone? :0
    Nope.

is your bonus AC and Reflex, or AC only?
    Semper ludens.

30. - Top - End - #30

Chimera

@Fel
    I was thinking Noah would potentially secure a private transport, if the Professor wasn't in ownership of one. It would probably take some exchanging of favors, like maybe having to organize that one bronze dragoness crime boss lady's lair in the Cogs, lending other captains a few of his best crew members for a couple active tours, and even maybe serving as a guard on an airship that's expecting attack (since he's especially good at that one).