New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Feats for Spellcasting [PEACH]

Spell Savant
    Requires you possess at least one level 1 spell slot. Select a spell of each level you know up to level 5. If you learn spells of a new level, you can select it then. You have mastered this spell. When you use a spell slot to cast this spell, it considered cast by a spell slot 1 level higher.

Wand of Accuracy
    Requires ability to use Arcane Focuses. When using a Wand as an Arcane Focus to cast a spell using a spell slot that involves a spell attack roll, you may reroll 1 missed attack.

Orb of Deception
    Requires the ability to use Arcane Focuses. When using an Orb as an Arcane Focus and casting an Illusion spell that uses a spell slot and targets creatures, you may add one additional target within 10’ of another creature targeted by the spell.

Crystal of Preparation
    Requires the ability to prepare spells and use Arcane Focuses. When you finish a long rest, you can prepare an additional number of spells equal to half of your proficiency bonus into your Crystal Arcane Focus. When you have your Crystal Arcane Focus equipped, you can cast those spells while using it as a focus.

Rod of Binding
    Requires the ability to use Arcane Focuses. When you cast a Conjuration spell with a spell slot through a Rod Arcane Focus, the creatures summoned have a bonus to their attack damage equal to your constitution bonus. In addition, the spell is treated as if it was cast using a slot 1 level higher.

Staff of Defense
    Requires the ability to use arcane focuses. When concentrating on a spell you used a spell slot and a Staff Arcane Focus to cast, if you fail a concentration check expend a reaction and a spell slot to gain a bonus to the concentration roll equal to the spell slot level expended. If you do so, you gain a bonus to AC and all saves equal to the spell slot level expended until the end of your next turn.

Symbol of Faith
    Requires the ability to use Holy Symbols. When you cast a spell using a spell slot using a Holy Symbol as a Focus, attacks on you cannot gain advantage until the start of your next turn.

Design Notes:
    Spoiler
    Show

There is a lack of feat support for making spells cast be more effective. This is an attempt at that.

Spell Savant was originally designed as boosting a selected spell to always be cast at the highest level slot you have (at least 1 level boost, and boost limited to level 6), but I think 1 slot level is less problematic.

The various "implement expert" feats are based off of 4e feats and wizard class features. I haven't figured out what I should do for druids (Twig and Berries Expert?). Or Artificers.

Wand of Accuracy looks really strong, but the spells that use attack rolls (only) help make up for it. The most popular uses many attack rolls (scorching ray).

Orb of Deception is subtle but could be broken. You can greater invisibility 2 targets with it, or 3 with sorcerer twin spell.

I don't know about Crystal of Preparation. How much is 1-3 more spells prepared worth? I might make a Crystal of Knowledge one that works for non-prepared casters in a similar way, but I haven't gotten wording I like. It is based off of Tome of Preparation from 4e.

Rod of Binding is right out of 4e (the con bonus). It will buff your familiars and your demons. I thought about advantage on skill checks against summoned creatures as well?

Staff of Defense is complicated. It lets you burn spell slots to save spell slots you'd lose to Concentration checks, and a follow-up buff. I am a bit worried about people exploiting the follow-up buff? +5 to all saves and AC for a turn is strong, even for a level 5 spell slot.

Symbol of Faith is right out of holy symbol expertise 4e, except combat advantage in 5e is stronger and feats are bigger than 4e, so I think it works. Paladins might love this feat, as might many melee-clerics; just wade in. The feel is that your god is protecting you from being vulnerable.
    Last edited by Yakk; 2020-01-16 at 06:27 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Feats for Spellcasting [PEACH]

Wand Of Accuracy needs a limitation. As written, your cantrips now have always-on Advantage that stacks with actual Advantage (though is also negatively impacted by Disadvantage).

Rod Of Binding is probably too good. Just the damage bonus would be fine.

Symbol Of Faith is also probably too good, because Cantrips.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Symbol of Faith already required a 1st level spell; but I have edited all of them to only work with spells that use spell slots.

That covers corner cases, like that deep gnome feat that grants at will 2nd level divination, or warlock invocationa, etc.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Staff of Defense and Symbol of Faith seem like they could work if you made them more general, so you didn't depend on the spellcasting focus to use them. The rest of these feel like they could work as subclass features, but are really awkward as feats (as then you could make separate subclasses for the druid and artificer).

However, Staff of Defense interacts awkwardly with war caster (given it overlaps) and Symbol of Faith seems a bit strong (at least for a healer, who now increases their bulk by casting a healing or buffing spell that applies).

Making these into feats feels like a category error. I'd recommend magic items for most of these, and some could be adapted into metamagic options. (and them maybe add a feat granting 3 pseudosorcery points and a metamagic option).

If you insist on making them feats, maybe refluff them not be be item dependent and have the only prerequisite be 1st level spell slots.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

The item dependency does two things.

First, it prevents them from overlapping. You cannot gain the benefit of two of them.

So if you want the concentration buff of staff of defence, you cannot also use orb of deception. Second, swapping from one to the other requires 2 object interactions (or 2 hands dedicated to foci).

The result is that the marginal return on investment of the 2nd such feat drops massively.

It also adds to the fluff and feel. You are shoving spells into a crystal, you are super-accurate when swinging a wand around, you are holding a staff and blocking an attack while focusing on your spell, etc. It makes them more kinetic to me.

I'm not sure why you don't like the idea of being better at using specific arcane focuses? Can you be more specific about that issue?

This is intended to be akin to the non-caster combat-boosting feats, which often (but not always) require exclusive item properties to use, and you cannot use two of them at once (with the note that some of the strongest builds are where two of those boosting feats overlap; PAM+GWM, or Crossbow+SS).
    (at least for a healer, who now increases their bulk by casting a healing or buffing spell that applies).
    "bulk"? I'm not sure where healer comes in; a divine blaster would gain the same benefit (does not grant advantage).

In games with flanking, advantage at melee range is common; elsewise, it is more rare. So outside of melee range with flanking, the ability is a minor one. (I mean, if paralyzed, you get 1 round where people don't get advantage, but still auto-crit).
    Last edited by Yakk; 2020-01-16 at 10:11 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yakk View Post
    The item dependency does two things.

First, it prevents them from overlapping. You cannot gain the benefit of two of them.

So if you want the concentration buff of staff of defence, you cannot also use orb of deception. Second, swapping from one to the other requires 2 object interactions (or 2 hands dedicated to foci). The result is that the marginal return on investment of the 2nd such feat drops massively.

It also adds to the fluff and feel. You are shoving spells into a crystal, you are super-accurate when swinging a wand around, you are holding a staff and blocking an attack while focusing on your spell, etc. It makes them more kinetic to me.
    My issue with making a feat apply to a single focus is that there's very few classes the bonus can apply to. Crystal of Preparation in particular is wizard only.

Note equivalent feats for weapons aren't typically for each individual weapon. GWM is for a weapon property, for instance. The Crossbow+SS combo happens because Crossbow Expert applies to two properties: ranged and loading, the former of which SS also applies too. It isn't equally useful for every class, but there's multiple martial classes that can consider most weapon feats.

Off the top of my head, maybe have each feat apply to foci of a primary material. At a minimum, this opens up options for artificers, bards, and druids to get such bonuses, and have them apply to all spellcasters (if not each apply to every spellcasting class). Note this happens without needing to write an individual feat for each individual focus.

Suggested materials to start: wood, metal, stone, and glass. If you want a bunch, maybe count bone, paper, and crystal.

I'm not sure why you don't like the idea of being better at using specific arcane focuses? Can you be more specific about that issue?

This is intended to be akin to the non-caster combat-boosting feats, which often (but not always) require exclusive item properties to use, and you cannot use two of them at once (with the note that some of the strongest builds are where two of those boosting feats overlap; PAM+GWM, or Crossbow+SS).
    Beside the feats feeling a bit too narrow, the old 4e bonuses aren't necessarily well suited either as feats or as feats tied to a spellcasting focus.

I think using the names from 4e is at least part of the problem. I expect the "orb of deception," to be an orb based off the name, not to be able to use any orb as an orb of deception.

The abilities aren't great either. Orb of Deception (at least to me) feels mainly useful to give more leeway to builds dependent on save or suck spells. Abilities to reduce that in 5e would be mainly useful in a subclass that's already themed toward save or suck spells rather than a general mechanic like a feat.

"bulk"? I'm not sure where healer comes in; a divine blaster would gain the same benefit (does not grant advantage).

In games with flanking, advantage at melee range is common; elsewise, it is more rare. So outside of melee range with flanking, the ability is a minor one. (I mean, if paralyzed, you get 1 round where people don't get advantage, but still auto-crit).
    Sorry, I was thinking of how much harder to kill a character gets from learning the feat. Outside of fighting in clear hallways and rooms, that ability can get rather strong. For example, in dealing with enemies attacking from ambush, where it cancels their advantage. It also inflicts only disadvantage from effects that otherwise also grant advantage, such as a Fog Cloud or Darkness spell.

But yes, a divine blaster would also get this benefit (although I still think they're less likely to end up taking such attacks).

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Orb of Deception works on much more than save or suck. It'll work on hypnotic pattern (letting you grab an extra target out of the AOE), it works on greater invisibility (letting you make 2 people invisible in combat for one concentration), as worded it will even work on blur (an illusion spell that targets yourself, a creature).

The goal is to make them tempting to forgoe a +2 to casting stat, like GWM/PAM/Sentinel/Shield Master can be.

Even given that, I'm more worried about them being too good than too weak.

---

There is no existing mechanical difference between the various arcane focuses that I am aware of, other than different magic items sometimes being one or the other. "Wood" seems a bit too generic to me.

The feel of 4e "wands help you aim", "staffs protect you" feels better than "iron helps you aim", "wood protects you".

---

I see what you mean by it sounds like an item however.

We could swap the wording. And add a verb.

Deceptive Orb Spellcasting
    Accurate Wand Spellcasting
    Defensive Staff Spellcasting

Deceptive Orb Arcana?
    Deceptive Orb Mastery?

---

Most of those work with at least 3 classes (sorcerer, bard, wizard). I do see the preparation problem. I can think of two ways to approach that.

1. Make it Crystal of Knowledge. You can put up to 1/2 of your proficiency bonus spells from your spell list into it, but no more than one of each spell level. You can cast these spells as if you had prepared or known them, but you must use the Crystal as an arcane focus.

2. Have it require prepared spellcasting, and have it grant the ability to use a crystal as a spellcasting focus (so druids, paladins, clerics and wizards can use it).

Unless you are casting a spell every round all day, holy symbol won't protect you during an ambush. :)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Revised:
    Spell Savant

Requires at least one spell slot. Select one spell of each level you know from 1 up to level 5. You have mastered these spells. When you use a spell slot up to level 5 to cast any of these spells, it is treated as if it was cast as a spell slot 1 level higher to determine its effects. Every time you gain a level, you may pick different spells for this feat.

Wandslinging
    Requires ability to use Arcane Focuses and a spell slot. When using a Wand as an Arcane Focus to cast a spell using a spell slot that involves a spell attack roll, you may reroll 1 missed spell attack.

Shadow Orb-Weaving
    Requires the ability to use Arcane Focuses and a spell slot. When using an Orb as an Arcane Focus and casting an Illusion spell using a spell slot that target at least one creature, you may target one additional creature within 10’ of another creature targeted by the spell.

Crystalized Memories
    Requires the ability to use Arcane Focuses and a spell slot. Select one spell of each level from level 1 up to 5 from your spell list(s) that you could learn and cast. You can treat these spells as prepared or known and cast them using a spell slot so long as you cast them through a prepared Crystal Arcane Focus. You can prepare a Crystal Arcane Focus to do this over a long rest, and it remains prepared until you prepare a different Crystal Arcane Focus. Whenever you gain a level you can change which spells you have selected for this feat.

Commanding Rod Bearer
    Requires the ability to use Arcane Focuses and a spell slot. When you cast a Conjuration spell using a spell slot through a Rod Arcane Focus, any creatures summoned by it have a bonus to their attack damage equal to your Constitution modifier (min 0), and you have advantage on charisma checks on the summoned creatures.

Defensive Staff Casting
    Requires the ability to use Arcane Focuses and a spell slot. When you cast a spell using a spell slot using your Staff Arcane Focus, until the start of your next turn you can spend your reaction to gain a bonus equal to the slot level to a saving throw, or to your AC against an attack.

Faith in your Symbol
    Requires the ability to use Holy Symbols and a spell slot. When you cast a spell using a spell slot using a Holy Symbol as a Focus, attacks on you cannot gain advantage. This lasts until you block advantage on a number of attacks equal to the spell slot level used, or the start of your next turn.
    Last edited by Yakk; 2020-01-17 at 02:21 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

This was partially written before the updated version was posted. The names look a lot better, as do the limits. Maybe "Staffshielding," instead of "Defensive Staff Casting."

Orb of Deception works on much more than save or suck. It'll work on hypnotic pattern (letting you grab an extra target out of the AOE), it works on greater invisibility (letting you make 2 people invisible in combat for one concentration), as worded it will even work on blur (an illusion spell that targets yourself, a creature).

The goal is to make them tempting to forgoe a +2 to casting stat, like GWM/PAM/Sentinel/Shield Master can be.

Even given that, I'm more worried about them being too good than too weak.
    Sorry, the 4e version works when you miss with an illusion spell. Your initial 5e conversion is so very strong, I assumed "targets creature," excluded AoE spells and spells with a range of self.

Alternate hybridization, that isn't limited to illusions:

Transferable Spellcasting
    You have trained to transfer the effects of a spell into a separate target, should the initial magic fail. When you are using a spellcasting focus made primarily of glass and spell has no effect the targets, you can force one additional creature within 10 feet of any target to also make a saving throw against the spell's effects (no action required by you).

There is no existing mechanical difference between the various arcane focuses that I am aware of, other than different magic items sometimes being one or the other. "Wood" seems a bit too generic to me.

The feel of 4e "wands help you aim", "staffs protect you" feels better than "iron helps you aim", "wood protects you".
    I think this depends on how you fluff the bonuses. Ex:

Spiritual Summoner
    You have trained with the magical abilities of other creatures, and can draw power from their remains. When using a spellcasting focus made primarily of bone, you can draw latent magical power from the focus as you cast a spell. If you do so, you may treat the spell as having been cast using a spell slot one level higher than you have actually used, to a maximum of fifth level (this does not affect the spell slot required to cast the spell). You can use this ability once, and regain your use of the ability at the end of a short rest.

I don't see a particular requirement to keep the same bonuses from the 4e implements. You could do "stone grants magical defense," and "wood improves accuracy."

Most of those work with at least 3 classes (sorcerer, bard, wizard). I do see the preparation problem. I can think of two ways to approach that.

1. Make it Crystal of Knowledge. You can put up to 1/2 of your proficiency bonus spells from your spell list into it, but no more than one of each spell level. You can cast these spells as if you had prepared or known them, but you must use the Crystal as an arcane focus.

2. Have it require prepared spellcasting, and have it grant the ability to use a crystal as a spellcasting focus (so druids, paladins, clerics and wizards can use it).
    In neither case do I see why this would work better as a feat rather than a magic item.

From a DMing perspective, I'd feel more comfortable giving a item that gives the sorcerer 3 specific spells, rather than letting the sorcerer learn any three additional spells of their choice. For the classes that learn spells, the number of learned spells is a major limit on their power.