New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Builds that work particularly well together in combat?

Quote Originally Posted by LudicSavant View Post
    I'd add Monks to this one - they hit their 3-4 attacks much faster than Fighters do, so you'll see the benefits earlier.

I was going to mention Sentinel Moon Druid + a Mounted Combatant, but I see that that's been mentioned.

Level 5+ Monks work very well in a party with anyone who has an ability that forces a Strength or Dexterity save, since Stunned makes people auto-fail those saves. Same goes for grapplers.

Thief Rogues in a party with people who like fire damage - being able to Use An Item as a bonus action lets you chuck two flasks of oil a turn, which supply a nice bit of bonus damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    I'd add Monks to this one - they hit their 3-4 attacks much faster than Fighters do, so you'll see the benefits earlier.
    Which buffs do you have in mind?
    Last edited by LudicSavant; 2020-02-27 at 08:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Barbarian X/War Mage 2 works together surprisingly well in combat.

Sure, it's a bit MAD, but not so MAD that you couldn't pull it off, even with point-buy. Besides, aren't all barbarians mad in a way!?

Barbarians have very little use for Reaction in combat, and Arcane Deflection might turn out to be quite useful, as it stacks with having a shield, doesn't count as casting a spell, and can be used even while raging.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

One that I got to play in AL :

Arcana cleric + ancestral guardians barbarian - we did this as wood elf and red dragonborn, respectively. In combat, she mixed it up with Shilelagh (from magic initiate) and spirit guardians, with an AC of 21 and decent saves. Meanwhile, I was using my rage ability to make creatures want to target me and my 20 AC plus damage resistance, while also using the dragon roar feat to make them not want to advance toward me. Effectively we both had resistance to all physical and fire damage. We were just about to hit level 8, and that's when we would pick up double wisdom damage per scagtrip for the cleric, and shield master to get bonus action push effects, giving enemies the choice between staying where they are to avoid booming blade rider, or coming to attack us while we resist their damage.
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Halfling in the Playground

Grave domain Cleric, Zealot Barbarian. The classic Unkillable Tank. Zealots have an ability to not need material components if an ally is trying to revive them.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

Monk, especially 4E, with any caster that has either Spike Growth / Enlarge / Haste.
    4E can Fly himself, all Monks have great speed, and can manage good Grapples if they wish to build around it (dip in Rogue, be a race that can pick Prodigy).

Have them grapple targets along Spike Growth (Monk staying "just outside" or "above" depending on context). Outdoors, 4E can dish insane damage when he can grapple targets, making Enlarge a good enabler when confronting Huge targets.

For those reasons, 4E Monk and Grassland Druid make a very powerful team (Druid having aforementioned spells -except Enlarge- but also classic Entangle), as well as Sorcerer (metamagics) and Bard (Bardic Inspiration to help on initial Grapple).

Technically though, any martial can be made as good as this: you just need a way to have high STR checks (Rogue's Expertise + Reliable Talent, Barb's rage), and a Ring of Spell Storing to let the martial cast favorite buff among those aforementioned, while you as a caster either double down on buff or set up adequate AOE. :)

It's just that this particular combo has nearly all built-in.
    Last edited by HiveStriker; 2020-02-28 at 07:52 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Firbolg in the Playground

Sentinel+Polearm Master Warrior, with Warlock packing the knockback EB. Badguy comes close, gets stabbed and loses his turn, then gets knocked back to do it again.

Crown Paladin with melee allies. Locks enemies down, heals nearby allies for a lot of HP.

Mastermind Rogue with an ally that is using GWM. Advantage every turn.

Mastermind Rogue with any other Rogue. Advantage (and so Sneak Attack) every turn.

Life Cleric using Heavy Armor Master, to use Warding Bond on an armored ally. Warding Bond's damage is mitigated by Heavy Armor Master, and then healed by the Life Cleric's self-healing features.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2020-02-28 at 12:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

8. - Top - End - #38
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGirl

Thanks for all the cool ideas! That's definitely a resource for the future!

9. - Top - End - #39
    Halfling in the Playground

My Devotion Paladin/Battlemaster Fighter and my friend's Totem Barbarian/Battlemaster Fighter have staggering nova potential.