New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (IC)

As they make their way into town and then into the inn, Feagon is on edge, bow at the ready. Once inside, he is a bit more gentle than the others as he helps the priest sit, though he does make sure that has hands are secure behind him and tied to the base of the chair, making it difficult for the man to move. Looking around the room, he asks "We have brought him back but it is upon you all to watch him. You might want to gag and blindfold him, too. Do not fall under the sway of his words or magic. He was dangerous... is dangerous, still, and you would do your best to keep him alive but leave him be for now." as he asks for rags.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Firbolg in the Playground

Suga lightly bumps Ismark's chair as he passes by then stands guard as the priest is bound to the chair. Once the rope work is done the orc slings his shield and axe then orders drinks for the party.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

Tarak

The hobgoblin follows along silently, lost in thought, and studying the relative quite and calm of the village. Once in the tavern, he slides into his chair and begins flipping back through the pages of the journal looking for the point at which the tenor and tone began to change....

4. - Top - End - #124
    Colossus in the Playground

The other people in the common room give you shocked, uncomprehending looks when you carry the unconscious, filthy-robed, clearly injured priest in. For a minute, it looks like the general reaction to Feagon's words is going to be very negative indeed. Ashlyn steps up to explain that the priest was at the church with a number of undead who attacked you on sight, the priest attacking as well while ranting about his son, and she found the animated bodies of her friends there as well. She is at least compelling enough that no one is quick to say they don't believe her, and the hostile looks shift toward the unconscious priest at this point.

The only people who don't participate at all are the bartender, who continues cleaning glasses with the air of one determined not to get involved in anything, and Ismark, who remains face down on his table.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Feagon nods to Ashlyn, knowing he doesn't have a gift of soothing words. Motioning the others towards a less occupied part of the room he says "I have concerns about them freeing him but I don't see another way. Are we ready to push on and rid these people of the oppressive undead?"

6. - Top - End - #126

Suga follows Feagon to the table. "Where to next then?"

He makes use of his healing belt on himself. (2d8)[9]
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

Tarak

The hobgoblin keeps reading the cleric's journal.

8. - Top - End - #128

"If that dealt with the roaming zombies..." Ashlyn shakes her head, looking downcast. "What did bring you to Barovia?"

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

Tarak

Overhearing Feagon and the paladin's exchange, "What...uh, maybe have the townsfolk send out some...patrols to see if the undead are gone...maybe?"

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Feagon, keeping his voice low so as not to be heard by the locals says "This lot looks broken and defeated. I don't know if they would and, if they did, would be of any use.. He then turns to Ashlyn and says in a regular voice "Fate, it would seem." he says with a forced laugh.

11. - Top - End - #131

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    "If that dealt with the roaming zombies..." Ashlyn shakes her head, looking downcast. "What did bring you to Barovia?"
    "What did we bring? I brought this axe that yearns to cut down the undead. If the roaming zombies are gone then we brought fortune, didn't we?"

"There was the church, mansion, madam, and castle right? Church cleared. Stop by mansion on way to the madam? Eat then head out or stay here for the night to deal with Ismark and the priest?"
    Show

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ettin in the Playground

Tarak

While the others discuss a course of action, Tarak continues reading the priest's journal.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

"I suggest we rest. My magic is mostly spent and I need to sleep to recoup the ability to cast more."

14. - Top - End - #134

"Staying here til morning? Fine. Still need to pick where we go tomorrow. Need directions too. Maybe someone here wants to go to the mansion. Don't want to just sit around. I'll be outside. " Suga heads outside into the barricaded off area. He sniffs the air for any new smell of undead. Free of concerns, the orc goes through his martial forms covering the various weapons he keeps on him.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    If nothing else happens will take a watch shift over night. With overnight rest will be down 5hp. Hunter's Sense is kept on, particularly taking note of any smell of undead not coming from the captured priest.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

Tarak

While Feagon meditates, Tarak continues studying the journal, taking periodic breaks to eat and drink.

16. - Top - End - #136

Tarak finds a distraught entry talking about the priest's son, Doru, having been killed by bandits. The next few entries talk around using something, something he describes as having been found on "the catacombs of the monster's castle." From there, the writing deteriorates, being increasingly taken over by ranting about how the writer has his son back and no one's going to take him away again.

His mind jogged by the phrasing of one of the entries, Tarak searches back through the earlier passages and finds one that reads, "“There is a book, the Tome of Strahd, that might shed light
    on the steps necessary to destroy the monster of the castle. It is well known that Strahd kept meticulous notes from ancient times on all he did or said. Perhaps some weakness of his could be found there. This tome was once located in Ravenloft’s library, but now I’m not sure where it is. I asked Madam Eva about it, and she mumbled something indecipherable. Why do seers always speak in riddles?”

Show
    You received this letter shortly before you arrived at Barovia; you showed it to Ismark, but not to anyone currently awake and involved.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

"It makes you seem smart in their eyes, I would think, if no one really knows what your saying I suppose." Feagon says in response to the quip about Madame Eva. "His son was killed and he managed to bring him back with... this Tome of Strahd. This could be some vile book of necromancy. Taken with the letter from the Burgonmaster detailing the wolves... well, everyone here would do well to leave the area until we could clear the area, though I doubt the would be safe fleeing." the elf shakes his head. "There is obviously much more going on than we can piece together." he says drowsily, trying to stifle a yawn. "The question, to me, is how do we track down the root of the various evils that prey upon these people?"

Spoiler
    Show

Kn: Religion on the Tome of Strahd
    (1d20+3)[15]

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

Tarak

After sharing the information with Feagon and Suga, the hobgoblin sits back in his chair of the tavern and nods along to Feagon's comments.

"This is disturbing news, indeed, it seems yonder priest is responsible for the creation of that abomination, but it came from a place of love for his fallen son. Do we tell the towns people? Do you think whatever.....ritual....he performed was responsible for the sudden rise of the town's dead? Apparently the lord of this region is the 'monster' known as Strahd....perhaps securing this Tome would offer some key to bringing him down. If so we should go see this Madam Eva person. But....but, do we want to do that? Do we want to assert ourselves in the politics of this area? Is our mission here accomplished or should we seek more information about this Burgomaster.....his son said he was dead, did he not?

So, what say you? Stay and investigate further, or see if we can escape this god-forsaken place?"

19. - Top - End - #139

"We spent all this time getting here. Might as well stay a while. If we can help and bash on undead all the better. Mansion or Madam right? Or both in one trip? That Ireena is at the mansion right?"
    Show

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

"In the morning, I say we see Madam Eva before heading to the mansion. Maybe she can provide some insight we aren't seeing?"

21. - Top - End - #141

"Sounds good to me. Maybe we can get one of the locals to make a simple map. Ashlyn, you coming with us tomorrow?"

Suga glances over at the still sleeping Ismark and shakes his head.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

Tarak

The hobgoblin follows Suga's glance toward Ismark, then leans in and whispers to the his orcish friend, "I wonder if he knows his sister was a adopted?"

To Feagon and Suga, "I'm up for a trip to see this Madam Eva, and stopping buy the mansion if it's along the way."

Spoiler: OC
    Show
    I think we already "rested".....my last post, I said Tarak was reading during the hours Feagon was meditating.
    Last edited by RolandDeschain; 2020-10-05 at 06:32 PM.

23. - Top - End - #143

Suga nods in agreement with the plan. He looks around to find a certain someone. "Ismark! Time to go. We're headed to the mansion. You've slept plenty."
    Show

24. - Top - End - #144

Ashlyn shakes her head. "I'm going to need time to figure out what I'm doing next. If only--well, never mind that. You have some kind of letter about werewolves to investigate, don't you?"

From the directions you got earlier, the burgomaster's mansion is south, while Madam Eva's camp is west, out of Barovia entirely, and some distance through the wilderness.

Ismark takes a couple minutes to wake up, but even when he does, he's not terribly receptive to suggestions or demands that he guide you to his father's mansion. His initial reaction is to express doubt that you've actually dealt with the zombies at all; Ashlyn is able to convince him of that, or at least to stop overtly questioning it, but he says, "You don't need me to guide you. Just go south from here, you can't miss it." He doesn't get up.

25. - Top - End - #145

Suga hands Ashlyn the letter.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

Tarak

"Hmmpph....worse than useless," the hobgoblin huffs at Ismark's recalcitrance.

To Feagon, "I hope you got your spells prepped and your prayer beads ready, something tells me we're gonna need 'em. Let's get to the mansion and investigate, it was the letter that brought us here after all. Madam Eva will have to wait I suppose."

With a look to Suga, Tarak nods to the door, "South, I believe. Lead on."
    Last edited by RolandDeschain; 2020-10-15 at 01:57 PM.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

As the elf sits quietly meditating, his eyes open at Tarak's comment. "Ready as I can be. Let's get on with it, then." Collecting his things, he weighs his bow versus his morning star for a moment before stowing his spiked weapon and then checks his bowstring before moving to the door. "Creepy mansion it is."

28. - Top - End - #148

The streets of Barovia are as gloomy, depressing, and fog-ridden as when you first entered them, but the stench of rot is further away, and nothing seems to attack you as you make your way south toward the mansion. As you were told, it's large enough to stand out even through the fog when you're a block away. As it comes into sight, you hear a loud, moaning wail from slightly to your east. Looking that way, it appears the cry is drifting from the opened upper window of a two-story building; no lights are visible inside that building.

Will you continue to the mansion, or detour to investigate this sound?

29. - Top - End - #149

Suga's eyes dart to the source of the sound. Not being able to see the source he glances at the mansion for signs of life then to the rest of the group. He draws his dire axe then uses his axe to point to the noise with a nod of his head meaning let's go. He moves to the same side of the street as the building the continues on to the building, using his ears and nose to try notice anything else.

Show
    Was it a sudden wailing, like an alarm that we've been seen?
    Show

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ettin in the Playground

Tarak

With a gesture the hobgoblin summons a field of magical armor, and moves closer to the noise looking for any windows or doors through which he could take a peak.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mage Armor
    Perception (1d20+14)[24]