New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,499 of 1499
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Ruins of Azlant IC

After a short rest, Taz removes the suit, sits for another minute, then hops up, packs up the suit and says, "alright! Let's explore this tower!"

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Laurelata dropped the ball when it grew spikes.
    "Thanks," she said to Jessica when she managed to quickly stop the bleeding, "well, at least we know something extra about these things now. Don't pick them up. Well, we'll have to leave the escaped ones for now. And we still have a lot of scrap metal with some quite interesting stuff inside."

As soon as Taz is ready again, she takes point and slowly moves towards the tower that Henri mentioned.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Ettin in the Playground

You move north towards the tower. Apart from the ruins that were one day clearly habitable, interesting rock formations, rubble, and boulders litter the surrounding countryside, suggesting an ancient site where stone was once quarried and buildings and monuments were erected. Catastrophe and the return of wilderness have made almost all of it unrecognizable - save for this strange building. The tower is about 70 feet in diameter and maybe 60 feet high. When you approach the doors, you see the following text carved into them in Azlanti: "Spindlelock Research Facility: a division of the Spindle Solution, making tomorrow’s humanity, today. Authorized Personnel Only." In addition, the tower has what appear to be stone posts directly abutting either side of the door, hinting that there was at one time a walkway or some other structure attached to the tower. The doors have a locking mechanism, but it does not seem to be engaged. There does not seem to be a way to peek inside short of opening the doors.
    Last edited by u-b; 2021-12-08 at 12:26 PM.

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Titan in the Playground

Jessica eagerly translates the text, though her face betrays some confusion when she finishes. "It seems they must have been very advanced- and forward thinking as well." She glances up to the tower, taking in it's undamaged surface once more. "Bizarre that it's been untouched all this time. Azlant fell nearly 10,000 years ago," she muses. "Someone or something must have been caring for this place. There's no better explanation. But to be active for so long... with no support?"

Overwhelmed by the magnitude of such a long-lasting force, Jessica lapses into silence. When someone else moves to open the doors, she grips her glaive timorously, and takes a few short steps backwards.

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"There's no way this could go wrong..." mutters Henri as he approaches the stone tower's doors. He doesn't open them, but instead checks the handles to see if they're unlocked. "No one's here to authorize anyone...Open it?" he asks the others with a grim expression.

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Let me have a look first," Laurelata said, "if this is a research facility, there might be traps on the doors and we'd rather not have them blow up in our face."
    She made her way to doors and checked them for traps before trying to open them, making sure she opened them while being covered by the door itself, just in case something came out it would have go through the door to get to her.

Spoiler: OOC rolls
    Show

perception to check for traps: (1d20+9)[22]
    Disable device to open the lock if it's locked: (1d20+7)[14]

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Ettin in the Playground

The doors do not seem to be trapped. They open surprisingly easily. Laurelata peeks into the darkness inside. She sees a chamber about twenty feet wide that appears to have been designed to awe or impress the entrant. Pale gray tiles decorated with faint, intricate geometrical designs cover the floor. The walls of the chamber are probably pure white, though for lack of illumination they seem kind of gray. In the center of the chamber Laurelata sees a very still standing man in simple black robes with a helmet that obscures most of his face. Or, more likely, Laurelata sees a perfectly lifelike statue of said man. Behind the statue, about thirty feet to the north there is another pair of doors leading further in.

8. - Top - End - #1478

NecromancerGuy

Henri stays right behind Laurelata, not interfering but staying close enough to intervene should she be attacked by foe or trap. He squints into the dark room, noting everything silently. With a gentle but firm hand on her shoulder he gets Laurelata's attention and gestures as if to ask if he should go first or if she wants the lead...

9. - Top - End - #1479
    Troll in the Playground

Hewitt wonders about the hold. "Is it really safe to even go to the other side? It could be a trap." Hewitt replies not feeling confident about getting there.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

10. - Top - End - #1480
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Maybe it's best if I go first," Laurelata said, "I have more experience in finding and disarming traps. But I think you best all stay close so we don't get separated. And for Jessica to translate where needed, as she's the only one speaking the language. Which we probably best learn as well at some time.
    So, everybody ready to go in?"

She will wait until everybody is ready and then go inside, checking for traps and also checking the statue, in case it's also something animated like the ones at that temple.

Spoiler: OOC rolls
    Show

perception: (1d20+8)[10] (and extra +1 to find traps)
    disable device if needed: (1d20+7)[20] (and extra +1 to disable traps)

11. - Top - End - #1481
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Taz stands back a bit from the door then nods curtly, "let's go!" She brings up the rear and scans the area, with a focus on the darkest recesses knowing her companions can't see as well there as she can.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: 7 apparently. That will teach me to botch the roll.

12. - Top - End - #1482
    Ettin in the Playground

When Laurelata peeks inside and thinks how to approach the entry, Lightburn sniffs at the air. He then sniffs at the air some more. Before anybody goes in, he says: "It is not empty. Some... fishmen, I think?".

13. - Top - End - #1483
    Titan in the Playground

Jessica frowns. "Like this Squid-Goblins, or something else?" she asks. From just behind Henri, she peers into the darkness, her eyes having no difficulty seeing within.

"I don't trust that... statue? either. Be careful in here."

14. - Top - End - #1484
    Ettin in the Playground

Lightburn says it is definitely not the Squid-Goblins, but he cannot provide the details as he never before met this particular smell.

Jessica looks inside. Save for the statue, the inside looks rather empty. She definitely sees no fishmen in the room nor a place for them to hide there.

15. - Top - End - #1485

NecromancerGuy

At the warning of "fishmen" Henri steps forward, taking the lead. "If you see a trap, warn me. If anyone sees fishmen, let me go first," he says quietly as he begins to inch forward towards the statue.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Series of slow, 5-ft steps forward. Henri will do his best to peer into the dark room, looking for threats, while letting Laurelata look for traps in front of him.

16. - Top - End - #1486
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Is there any magic in here," Laurelata asked the others, "maybe they are invisible, but then they show up on magic, right? Let's check."
    She quickly cast detect magic to see if there was any inside, as far as the she could from the door.

17. - Top - End - #1487
    Ettin in the Playground

Henri makes his first step inside just as Laurelata starts to look for magic. Well, as for the magic - it becomes pretty apparent it's there. Not just because it shines in Laurelata's eyes (she does sense magic, but not yet the details of it, and Henri is right in her field of view along with some of his magic items), but because the whole ceiling lights up and the room becomes brightly enough illuminated...

Spoiler
    Show
    Any change of plans based on the observables?

18. - Top - End - #1488

NecromancerGuy

Henri pauses to hear the result of Laurelata's investigation, stopping and quietly waiting for her to speak.

19. - Top - End - #1489
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

When the light came on by itself, Laurelata involuntary took a step back, although she kept her spell up to sweep through the room. She was by now used to strange things happening, but that didn't mean she wanted to be trapped by it.
    "Maybe this tower is similar to those statues we encountered," she said to the others, "the statue animates and tells stories.
    Or in this case technology. There is a lot of magic, give me a moment to make more sense of it."
    Last edited by farothel; 2021-12-13 at 06:59 AM.

20. - Top - End - #1490
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Fishmen, and invisible fishmen at that, put Taz on edge. "I trust his nose - I don't like this... be ready," the dwarf readied herself to strike.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ready a water blast to strike past Henri. If she sees something appear or movement or him get hit, she'll fire at the square she estimates it is coming from.

Perception: (1d20+6)[26]
    Attack: (1d20+4)[10] Damage: (1d6+6)[8]
    Miss chance (if invisible): (1d100)[52]
    Modifiers for invisible enemies not included

21. - Top - End - #1491
    Ettin in the Playground

Laurelata tries to make sense of all those auras. There are many: outer walls, inner walls, ceiling, statue, abjurations, illusions... some in fact quite strong. The glowing ceiling seems to be the simplest of those, just some permanent light. The others... well, Laurelata had not time to sort through the others. You hear screams from both sides of the room and two quite visible fishmen came charging straight through the side walls. Taz is the only one to react before they get to Henri, but she does not manage to hit. Henri is able to block one trident, but the other stabs him with two prongs for 8 damage.

Spoiler
    Show
    Trident charge: (1d20+5)[20] for (1d8+3)[8]
    Trident charge: (1d20+5)[12] for (1d8+3)[7]

Henri did not go further into the room, so he is not flanked at the moment, and possibly won't be at all. The doorway is 10 feet wide, but open only 5 feet wide at the moment. Opening it wider is a move action. Otherwise, getting more people in melee without eating some AoOs might be problematic.

=> Party

22. - Top - End - #1492
    Titan in the Playground

"The Eternal Maiden smiles on you, Henri!" Jessica encourages from just behind him. She reaches out a hand to bestow luck upon him, before giving her allies a little more room in the threshold.

Spoiler: Jessica, round 1
    Show
    Jessica Cooper
    F NG Aasimar (Angel-blooded) Cleric, Level 2, Init 2, HP 0/14, DR Acid, Cold, Elec resist 5, Speed
    AC 11, Touch 11, Flat-footed 10, CMD 14, Fort 4, Ref 1, Will 5, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 1
    Glaive +3 (1d10+3, x3)
    Dagger +3/+2 (1d4+1, 19-20,x2)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 16
    Condition +2 CL for divination spells
    Augery 2/2 (weekly)
    Inner beauty: 1/1
    Alter self: 1/1
    Channel energy: 8/8, 1d6
    Touch of good: 5/5
    Bit of Luck: 4/5
    Talisman of good fortune: reroll natural 1 (once, then it crumbles)
    Bless: 1/1
    Protection from Evil: 1/1
    Unprepared slots: 1

Use bit of luck to give Henri "roll twice, take best" for this round. 5-foot step out of the doorway and draw her glaive.

23. - Top - End - #1493
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Be careful, there are illusions around here," Laurelata had just the chance to say before the two fishmen charged in, to fast for her to react. But she recovered quickly and with her rapier ready, she dodged through the fishmen, jumping this way and that to avoid their attacks until she was behind them so they had to divide their attacks.

Spoiler: OOC Laurelate round 1
    Show

I'll use athletics to avoid attacks of opportunity. I can move at half speed while I do that and do an athletics check vs. their CMD: (1d20+6)[11]
    If I can get to a flank position with only half speed, I'll attack, otherwise I use a double move to move my full speed and flank that way.

attack (if possible): (1d20+6)[22] (incl flanking bonus)
    damage: (1d6)[3] (and (1d6)[1] sneak attack)

Laurelata
    F CG Elf Rogue (unchained), Level 2, Init 9, HP 13/13, Speed 30
    AC 18, Touch 13, Flat-footed 15, CMD 14, Fort 0, Ref 6, Will 1, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 1
    Rapier +4 (1d6, 18-20/x2)
    holy, reliquary, Str+1 composite longbow +1 (20 arrows) +4 (1d8+1 (+2d6), x3)
    dagger +4 (1d4, 19-20/x2)
    masterwork, magical chainshirt +1 (+5 Armor, +3 Dex)
    Abilities Str 11, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 14
    Condition None
    Last edited by farothel; 2021-12-14 at 01:01 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1494
    Troll in the Playground

Hewitt hides behind Lightburn and thinks about the situation. He then gives a command mentally to Lightburn. Maybe, they could try to throw him off and make it easier to his companions to attack. Lightburn roars in a display of intimidation.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Light burn will try to demoralize the enemy and hopefully put it in a shaken state.

Intimidate roll from Lightburn: (1d20+4)[17]
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

25. - Top - End - #1495

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Round 1, Henri's Status
    Show
    Henri (no last name)
    Male True Neutral Half-Orc Ranger (Wild Stalker), Level 2, Init 1, HP 14/22, Speed 20 ft
    AC 17, Touch 11, Flat-footed 16, CMD 17, Fort 7, Ref 6, Will 4, CMB +6, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Greataxe +5 (1d12+9, 20/x3)
    Breastplate (+6 Armor, +1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 18, Dex 12, Con 15, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 7
    Condition Power Attack
    Bit of Luck

"To arms!" bellows Henri suddenly as he swings his axe in an overhead slash at the fish-man who attacked him!

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Activate Power attack, take a 5-ft step to flank (if possible), and then attack: Greataxe (1d20+5)[9] or (1d20+5)[17] to hit, (1d20+5)[23] or (1d20+5)[23] (20/x3), (1d12+9)[14] slashing damage, (2d12+18)[26] critical strike damage.

AoO if applicable: Greataxe (1d20+5)[8] or (1d20+5)[22] to hit, (1d20+5)[12] or (1d20+5)[23] (20/x3), (1d12+9)[19] slashing damage, (2d12+18)[29] critical strike damage.

26. - Top - End - #1496
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Taz strafes to get a clear shot and fires past Henri into one of the vile fishmen.

Spoiler: Taz, Round 1
    Show
    Sorry for the short post - been busy

Move: to most appropriate position (avoid AoOs, and cover if possible)
    Standard: water blast on one of these skum
    Attack: (1d20+4)[22] (+1 if vs abberations)
    Damage: (1d6+6)[9]

Spoiler: Taz stats
    Show
    Tazmara Stonesong
    F NG Dwarf Kineticist (Aquakineticist), Level 2, Init 2, HP 23/23, DR Cold/pressure - 1, Speed 20 / 20 (swim)
    AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-footed 13, CMD 14, Fort 7, Ref 6, Will 1, CMB +2 (5), Base Attack Bonus 1
    PBS Water Blast +4 (1d6+6, x2)
    Dagger +2 (+3 thrown) (1d4+2, 19-20/x2)
    Heavy Pick +2 (1d6+1, x4)
    Studded Leather (+3 Armor, +2 Dex)
    Abilities Str 12, Dex 14, Con 19, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8
    Condition Having a swim speed grants a +8 bonus on some swim checks (most others are not needed)

27. - Top - End - #1497
    Ettin in the Playground

Jessica bestows some luck on Henri while Laurelata tries to move past the fishmen to attack them from behind. The maneuver is not executed properly and Laurelata is stabbed by a trident getting two wounds in her side for 6 damage. She in turn inflicts only one wound with the rapier... which was, actually, the plan, but the attack could have been better aimed as it does not seem to hit anything vital and amounts for mere 4 damage. The fishmen seem to be rather worried by the growling glowing outsider. This divides their attention and Henri hits one for 14 damage. The creature, previously wounded by Laurelata, barely holds itself together until it gets water-blasted for 9 damage and into oblivion. The remaining one, scared as it is, seems to be willing to fight to the death and concentrates all of the attacks on Henri. This toes not do any good as the half orc fends off all the attacks - weapon, claw, bite and all.

Spoiler
    Show
    Trident AoO: (1d20+5)[23] for (1d8+3)[6]
    Trident AoO: (1d20+5)[11] for (1d8+3)[10]

Trident: (1d20+3)[6] for (1d8+3)[6]
    Claw: (1d20+0)[11] for (1d4+1)[3]
    Bite: (1d20+0)[2] for (1d6+1)[4]

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    HP 0/14
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    HP 14/22
    People, you serious? I thought I've told you well enough. I might one day use this stuff for reference (or why it it there at all)...

=> Party

28. - Top - End - #1498
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Ouch you annoying buggers," Laurelata shouted as she was hit. Clearly she had to practice this maneuver a bit more. But for now she was on the other side of the fishman and with a small step she could flank again.

Spoiler: OOC Laurelate round 2
    Show

free: 5 foot step to flank again if needed.

attack: (1d20+6)[15] (incl flanking bonus)
    damage: (1d6)[2] (and (1d6)[1] sneak attack)

Laurelata
    F CG Elf Rogue (unchained), Level 2, Init 9, HP 7/13, Speed 30
    AC 18, Touch 13, Flat-footed 15, CMD 14, Fort 0, Ref 6, Will 1, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 1
    Rapier +4 (1d6, 18-20/x2)
    holy, reliquary, Str+1 composite longbow +1 (20 arrows) +4 (1d8+1 (+2d6), x3)
    dagger +4 (1d4, 19-20/x2)
    masterwork, magical chainshirt +1 (+5 Armor, +3 Dex)
    Abilities Str 11, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 14
    Condition None
    Last edited by farothel; 2021-12-16 at 02:39 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1499
    Ettin in the Playground

Continued in the new IC thread.