New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Ruins of Azlant IC

This being a volcanic island featuring several peaks in its center, clearly visible from where you stand if you step back from the trees, Laurelata does not have high hopes as she climbs a tree. Indeed, the peaks, and generally the raised terrain in the center, block all view in the most interesting directions. In the least interesting directions, there is no ship in sight. Neither there are any obvious signs of human presence.

Spoiler
    Show
    I have updated the map of the archipelago. You are on the westernmost cape of big island in the upper-right corner.

2. - Top - End - #602
    Troll in the Playground

"I have my doubts about there being any lingering magic left but just to be through with our research, lets see if I can find anything of note. Follow me closely, Lightburn!" Hewitt replies as he starts searching himself for any magic.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Casting detect magic and checking the campsite now that it seems to be safe.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

3. - Top - End - #603
    Titan in the Playground

Marius
    Human Freebooter Ranger
    AC: 20 HP: 12/12
    touch: 12, ff: 18, CMD: 16
    Conditions: -

This camp held three to six people, and it is a few weeks old. Besides, there has got to be a hold-up. I did not see any obstacle on Ramona's sea charts, that would prevent them from picking us up. In fact they should have been here about two hours ago. Marius states.

4. - Top - End - #604
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Laurelata had climbed back out of the tree, reporting she hadn't seen anything special up there.
    "As I said, hopefully it's because they found the others and took some time picking them up," she said, "but we don't know. I think we best investigate in and around this camp to see if we can learn what happened here and then tomorrow, we move on to check where the ships are."

Adding deed to word, she started looking in the camp for any signs that could explain what happened, including any trinkets or items the previous campers could have left/hidden.

Spoiler: OOC rolls
    Show
    another perception roll: (1d20+7)[20]
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

5. - Top - End - #605
    Ettin in the Playground

Nothing in the abandoned campsite shines as magical. Of the things left at the camp, in addition to the sharpened sticks formerly used to tie the tents, Laurelata only finds a rather obvious heap of gathered driftwood near the ash pit. Not too much, not too little, just about enough to heat the food in the morning.

6. - Top - End - #606
    Titan in the Playground

Despite her seemingly endless optimism, Jessica can't contain a growing sense of doubt. She looks around the group uneasily, noting her companions' simple and undeniable statements that things are clearly not going to plan. She adds to that her own gnawing suspicions; the first encounter with the first wave of colonists having been a bizarre and vaguely aquatic seeming zombie has left her truly shaken.

"I- do we wait here?" After a moment, she almost visibly steels herself. "I'm not about to sit around and let whatever killed the colonists come get me next, but what do we know about the island so far? Everyone but us on it has either gone inland or gotten turned into some freakish crab zombie."

She frowns, thinking. "I'm not sure we can rely on Ramona for guidance anymore. Clearly, something has gone wrong back on the ship, too. I'm beginning to think we'll just have to pray they're alright and find out what happened here on our own."

As she finishes speaking, she retrieves one of the rations from her pack. "Didn't think we'd be into this already, but at least we have them. Let's camp near here tonight, in case the ship shows up by the morning, and if they don't... Well, we can decide that then."

7. - Top - End - #607
    Troll in the Playground

"I like to think struggle is a natural part of discovery. We might not be close to solving the mystery but most worthwhile things in this world require some risk and even some patience. We might not be close to the truth yet but we are moving forward, one step at a time." Hewitt replies trying to cheer up. He knew how important it was to have a good morale to move forward. "Lets just tsya on our guards for the time being." He adds.
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

8. - Top - End - #608
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Absolutely," Laurelata said, "I would say we build camp close to here and then check out where the ships are tomorrow. They would come around the island in the other way, so if we move on, we have to eventually meet them. We can also keep a large fire going as a beacon for them, although that might attract other attention."

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

9. - Top - End - #609
    Titan in the Playground

Marius
    Human Freebooter Ranger

Marius rubs his scruffy chin already showing a five o'clock shadow. I just hope nothing happened. Many people didn't seem too happy with us trying to investigate this island. They would rather leave. Maybe they have a mutiny on hand.

It was true, only Jess' good intentions and prayers made some settlers calm down. Surely Hewitt's merchantile arguments could calm more rational members too, but they were both here and not on the ship. We should at least check the first few hundred feet into the jungle, what do you say? If we are to camp where others vanished I want a bit of a perimeter against attacks. Including some torches in the south, or a permanent guard of a non-human in the south.

Marius sighed. It was apparent he was frustrated to be the only person unable to see in the dark. His perception and tracking skills were unrivaled in daytime, but at night every member of the group was miles ahead of him.

10. - Top - End - #610
    Ettin in the Playground

After a quick check around, including under the nearby trees, you find basically nothing noteworthy save for a few young palm that had their leaves cut off. There are more with their leaves still on them in case you'd want to freshen the litter.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, so you want to camp. I'll need to know:
    1. Whether you eat something (write down one ration each if you do)
    2. Whether you make your sleeping any more comfortable than on the old litter under clear sky
    3. Whether you burn fire (if yes, then how large it is to be)
    4. Whether you keep watch (if yes, what would be the schedule)

11. - Top - End - #611
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Laurelata looked around to see if she could find a better spot to camp than just on the beach where the others had camped before. While they could see people coming on the beach, it wasn't the most defensible of positions. If she found a possible spot, she would ask Marius, who was probably the best at these things for confirmation about the spot.

12. - Top - End - #612
    Titan in the Playground

Jessica spends several minutes retrieving palm fronds to refresh the pile in the sands, humming quietly and happily with a productive task to focus upon. When talk comes to a fire, she frowns. "I'd rather not announce our presence just yet- they knew where this spot was already, so it won't help them find us tonight." She makes an excuse to work alongside Marius quietly a few minutes later. "I was... blessed at birth. I'm not sure why I can see in the dark, but I can. If you need a fire for visibility, I'll keep it secret for now."

Several minutes later, sated (if not exactly satisfied) by the rations, Jessica lays down atop a bedroll laid on the palm fronds. Smiling wearily towards the open sky, she begins casually and quietly picking out a few of the familiar constellations near the eastern horizon. As far as they've traveled, the rest of the sky is totally foreign to her, and she gazes peacefully into the vault of the heavens until she finally dozes off.

13. - Top - End - #613
    Titan in the Playground

Marius
    Human Freebooter Ranger

Scour the area for potential nesting predators and similar. Marius commands. I propose the following guard shifts. Laurelata, Lightburn and Hewitt, Tazmara and then I shall end the guard. Any objections?

Leaning towards Jess, Marius listens intently, then pulls her away a bit from the group. I figured as much when I saw your eyes. They are wonderful, but I would be lying if their radiance wasn't a bit intimidating, Jess. This is a gift, and you should not keep that a secret. If we have the upper hand because you saw something no ordinary human could see, we need to use that. Besides, you are already blessed with divine powers, why would THAT be the odd thing that people don't accept? Marius takes a break and thinks. If you want I you can accompany me on my watch, to make sure we are not disturbed. I am just saying, fire keeps wild animals at bay. I do not think we are targetted by the unknown creator of the flying orb JUST yet.
    Last edited by Spore; 2020-09-10 at 02:59 AM.

14. - Top - End - #614
    Titan in the Playground

Jessica is a little surprised when her name isn't on the list of watches, but she masks it well, not betraying her feelings.

A few moments later, she listens quietly and blushes a little bit at mention of her eyes. Smiling without meaning to, she blinks suddenly- never having considered that her divine ability would overshadow her physical blessings. She nods silently, thinking more than anything else. For the moment, she doesn't respond directly.

15. - Top - End - #615
    Troll in the Playground

"May I request an extra minute before making the switch? I would prefer to have Lightburn by my side when my shift arrives." Hewitt requests hoping to be prepared for any issues. "Besides that, I am prefectly fine with the plan."
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

16. - Top - End - #616
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

After eating, Laurelata looked for a good spot to guard the camp. A place where she could see all around (also the sea, as there were sea creatures here as well) and react quickly. Then she settled and started looking around for anything that might wish them harm.

17. - Top - End - #617
    Ettin in the Playground

While checking the nearby jungles, you find nothing much of particular interest, except for one thing. Marius finds what he describes as a very nice place to camp: some small group of bushes just next to the beach and some distance of other bushes and trees. When you camp there, the fire would be enevitably visible from the outside, which might or might not be a good thing, depending on who would be looking at it, but, what's more important, the details of the camp would be largely obscured, while the person guarding the camp would be given an opportunity to spot anyone approaching through the empty space.

Laurelata takes the first watch. About halfway through her shift, when the camp is otherwise asleep, she notices four glowing dots emerging from the sea. Actually, two pairs. Actually, two grindilows trying to sneak across the beach in general direction of the camp. Laurelata thinks they do not see her yet.

Spoiler
    Show
    I rule that elves do trance, so Laurelata can take two shifts if she wants to. I also rule that elves can see pretty much as normal given illumination up to full starlight (with no overcast etc.), no moon necessary.

Two grindilows - 80 feet of the beach - 10 feet of intermittent bushes - camp

18. - Top - End - #618
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Keeping silent, Laurelata woke the others, each time putting a finger on her mouth to indicate silence, while she kept an eye on the grindilows. If they came too close (say 60ft from camp), she would start shooting at them, making noise to wake the others up. But she wanted to have everybody ready and then surprise the two. She managed to get as far as Marius and Hewitt before they became too close to her liking and she fired an arrow, while calling out so the others would wake as well.
    Last edited by farothel; 2020-09-13 at 10:13 AM.

19. - Top - End - #619
    Troll in the Playground

Hewitt wakes up feeling tired. "I was having a great dream...." he complains. It takes him a few seconds but he realizes the meaning behind being awaken. "Lets bring forth a a summon. No reason to take damage unnecessarily." He then summons a celestial eagle and gives it the following order. "Attack those creatures." He replies while pointing at the grindilows.

Show

I was originally waiting to see if the grindilows got close enough to set the alarm by Laurelata but for the sake of keeping things up I will make the post now since it has been a couple of days.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Hewitt will summon a celestial eagle using his summon monster ability.

Assuming the eagle understands correctly, here are the rolls of the attack.
    Attack: (1d20+3)[19]
    Damage: (1d4)[1]

or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

20. - Top - End - #620
    Titan in the Playground

Marius
    Human Freebooter Ranger

Marius lies somewhat close to Jess, but is not making it obvious. If questioned, he tries to make it seem like she is the least armoured, and should have appropriate protection if ambushed. But you can see through his thinly veiled deception.

As Laurelata clamors for an alarm, Marius is already ready to go, armored up and ready to go. Once he grabbed his weapons, that is.

Spoiler
    Show
    Standard to stand up, move to pick up sword and shield.

21. - Top - End - #621
    Ettin in the Playground

While you do not actually surprise the grindylows (they were expecting some trouble), you catch them flatfooted. Laurelata's attack hits the sand near one of them. Hewitt summons an eagle, which charges down at grindylows and manages to land a hit with a talon for seemingly no big effect. Marius stands up and arms himself. By this time, everyone in the camp has awakened, but Taz and Jess are still prone with little understanding of what's going on.

The grindilows attack the eagle with spears and flail their tentacles about. One spear attack pierces straight through the eagle, which disappears with a *puff*. The grindilows yay and fall back a little.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spear: (1d20+2)[14] for (1d6+1)[5]
    Tentacles: (1d20+4)[16] trip

Spear: (1d20+2)[8] for (1d6+1)[6]
    Tentacles: (1d20+4)[11] trip

They are now 55 feet from you, of which 10 feet are bushes (concealment, difficult terrain). Marius will probably have problems seeing them from where he is. They are 115 feet from the sea.

=> Party

22. - Top - End - #622
    Titan in the Playground

Marius
    Human Freebooter Ranger

Marius turns to Jess. I need light, magic, something! he demands while holding his shield into the sleepy gal's face.

Spoiler
    Show
    Delaying my move action until after Jess' turn to approach the grindylows with a glowing shield, or some other blessing.

Last edited by Spore; 2020-09-20 at 03:58 PM.

23. - Top - End - #623
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Laurelata moved so she had a clear shot and then... well, shot again.

Spoiler: OOC actions and rolls
    Show

I'll move so they don't have concealment anymore. If I can hide myself partially behind a tree or something like that, I'll do that.

Then shooting at the one closest to me: (1d20+3)[14] for damage: (1d6)[2]

24. - Top - End - #624
    Troll in the Playground

"I can make a single object emit light. Would this be of help?" Hewitt replies knowing he could help address the issue for Marius. Hewiit then casts his spell on the shield worn by Marius.

Show

Casting Light on Marius´ shield.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

25. - Top - End - #625
    Titan in the Playground

Jessica blinks heavily. "Huh.. Eh, what?" She flounders briefly, while Hewitt steps in to supply the needed light. "Oh, uh. Here! Shelyn, your devoted calls for aid!" She raises her hands in petition, and the divine answers, bolstering herself and her allies' for roughly the next minute.

Spoiler: Jessica round 1?
    Show
    Jessica Cooper
    F NG Aasimar (Angel-blooded) Cleric, Level 1, Init 2, HP 9/9, DR Acid, Cold, Elec resist 5, Speed
    AC 11, Touch 11, Flat-footed 10, CMD 13, Fort 3, Ref 1, Will 4, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 0
    Glaive +2 (1d10+3, x3)
    Dagger +2/+1 (1d4+1, 19-20,x2)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 16
    Condition +2 CL for divination spells
    Augery 2/2 (weekly)
    Inner beauty: 1/1
    Alter self: 1/1
    Channel energy: 8/8, 1d6
    Touch of good: 5/5
    Bit of Luck: 5/5
    Talisman of good fortune: reroll natural 1 (once, then it crumbles)

Cast bless for +1 to-hit and vs fear for 1 minute- should effect all allies in this proximity.

26. - Top - End - #626
    Ettin in the Playground

With a glowing shield, Marius stands up and steps through the bushes. He stops there, soon acompanied by Taz. Grindylows do not take the invitation, they instead hastly retreat towards the sea.

Spoiler
    Show
    In one round, they are 115 feet from the camp (100 feet from Taz and Marius), which is only obvious to those with low-light vision. If you don't chase right away, consider them to have retreated.

27. - Top - End - #627
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"They're retreating," Laurelata said. As they were further away, she decided not to shoot anymore, as it was a good way to loose an arrow and the chances of hitting were less in the darkness.

28. - Top - End - #628
    Titan in the Playground

Jessica scowls, still a bit hazy in the middle-of-the-night fog. "Those Goblin thing are running away? That's odd." She relaxes a bit on the heels of her feet, never quite having begun to leave the camp, and now unsure she wants to.

"Never much knew them to have strong self-preservation instincts. I'd guess it's a trap."

Spoiler: Jessica, round 2
    Show
    Jessica Cooper
    F NG Aasimar (Angel-blooded) Cleric, Level 1, Init 2, HP 9/9, DR Acid, Cold, Elec resist 5, Speed
    AC 11, Touch 11, Flat-footed 10, CMD 13, Fort 3, Ref 1, Will 4, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 0
    Glaive +2 (1d10+3, x3)
    Dagger +2/+1 (1d4+1, 19-20,x2)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 16
    Condition +2 CL for divination spells
    Augery 2/2 (weekly)
    Inner beauty: 1/1
    Alter self: 1/1
    Channel energy: 8/8, 1d6
    Touch of good: 5/5
    Bit of Luck: 5/5
    Talisman of good fortune: reroll natural 1 (once, then it crumbles)

If we're tracking rounds, she's going to spend her round using perception. I don't think there's anything to see, and this is an edit so I can't roll here. I'll roll in OOC.

29. - Top - End - #629
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Could be, but I'm not following," Laurelata said, "especially in the dark."

30. - Top - End - #630
    Troll in the Playground

"Especially since we dont know this terrain very well yet. Who knows what else could even be lurking around." Hewitt replies in agreement to staying on the camp.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores: