New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1499
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Ruins of Azlant IC

Henri shrugs and turns from the dais, looking at the remains of the goblins and quietly says, "Whatever ate them came from somewhere..." and starts tracking them, intent on finding their burrow, just in case it is worth finding.

Spoiler: Survival
    Show
    +7 for either a (1d20+7)[9] or a 27 if taking 20 is allowed. Henri is interested in seeing if the centipedes that scavenged the goblins came from the jungle - where there might be more to threaten the colony - or an underground area where they might explore.

2. - Top - End - #992
    Troll in the Playground

"Well, I have been looking into this places background. I might be able to remember something on the subject." Hewitt replies trying to recall information.

Knowledge history: (1d20+5)[8]
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

3. - Top - End - #993
    Ettin in the Playground

It takes Henri some time, but he is able to track the centipedes to a hole leading under some stone ruins. They seem to have a lair in what remains of a cellar. Hewitt only knows what everyone knows: that there was an advanced civilization here some long time ago, and that it ended in some catastrophe.

4. - Top - End - #994
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Laurelata keeps looking around in the ruins, careful to stay in contact with the other people of the group, mindful for traps and critters and when Henri tracks the centipedes, she stays a bit behind him, bow ready to cover is retreat if needed.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

5. - Top - End - #995

NecromancerGuy

Henri calls out, his low voice booming in contrast to his usual, soft-spoken approach. "Over here - I've found something below these ruins," he yells, gathering everyone's attention before waiting for them to gather round. "Shall I lead the way? I can't see in the dark any better than most of you, so we will need a light..."

6. - Top - End - #996
    Ettin in the Playground

Observing the hole, Henri estimates how he would fit in it. It seems the only way is to do it the centipede way - crawling in head first. That would, naturally, limit his fighting options. He wonders if he can bring the axe with him and if that would do any good. Using the axe without a larger space beyond seems totally out of question.

7. - Top - End - #997

NecromancerGuy

As Henri gets a closer look he realizes that this hole is less an entrance into a dungeon and more a centipede-burrow. "Maybe there is something more underneath...let's look around," he says as he realizes the folly of diving in, headfirst, into the hole.

Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    +8, so either (1d20+8)[15] or 28 to find any other signs of an entrance to an underground dungeon to explore...

8. - Top - End - #998
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Laurelata followed, also looking at the hole.
    "Looks cramped," she said, "especially with centipedes at the other end. Say, Lightburn, how good are you at digging?
    Can you widen the hole a bit?"

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

9. - Top - End - #999
    Troll in the Playground

"Not much of a digger." Lightburn admits shyly. Hewitt intercedes "...but he can see pretty well in the dark and can even illuminate the tunnel with its magic. He could potentially be better equipped to handle the enemy down there than most of us with our equipment. Alternatively, we could try to lure the creature out first."
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

10. - Top - End - #1000

NecromancerGuy

Henri shakes his head. "Just need to watch out for them and stay together. You don't attack bugs in their burrow," he says before turning to look around some more. "Maybe we should find the other goblins..."

Spoiler: Survival
    Show
    +7 for a (1d20+7)[22] or 27 to find the goblin-corpses and track their path to us. The goal is to try and find something action-able for us as a party, either their camp or something that might lead us towards story-development or interesting encounters.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Henri isn't that useful with historical stuff, though he will certainly listen and pay attention if someone can use the clues from the hologram to get things going. I'm just trying to use the tools he has. If someone else has a good idea, overrule me anytime.

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I would be careful wit that," Lauralata said, "I agree we have to find them, but carefully, as we had a lot of trouble yesterday against a few of them. And I think that they will have the advantage in the forest. I would first check out these ruins before we head into the forest."
    She would keep looking around in the ruins to find more stuff about the civilisation that lived here, or if they were lucky, what happened to the last group of colonists. Or tracks of more weird critters that seem to live on this island.

Spoiler: OOC rolls
    Show

Perception I guess (if anything else, please let me know).
    (1d20+8)[18]

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Ettin in the Playground

Lauralata looks around the ruins. By the placement of the stony remains, she estimates that most if not all of the buildings here were stone. Not that it adds anything to the hypothesis of this being the remains of a reasonably advanced civilization. He sees that some stones have carvings on them, so probably the settlement was wealthy enough. Nothing much seems to remain above ground besides stones half-sunk in the earth. Meanwhile, Henri finds the remains of a few fires and improvised goblin camps here and there. It seems they frequent this place in small numbers with some regularity. Henri also finds more centipede tracks, originating, presumably, from the same hole. It seems they sneak around the ruins at night and drove away all other land life.

You begin to track the goblins back whence they come. Henri takes the lead and Lightburn does his best to assist. You make some progress, but following small creatures through sometimes dense woods turns out to be more difficult than just choosing the most open path and more difficult than you might have imagined. You follow the tracks for about two miles when you have to choose whether you want to get home before sunset.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PFSRD
    To find tracks or to follow them for 1 mile requires a successful Survival check. ... You move at half your normal speed while following tracks. ... [Y]ou can retry a failed check after 1 hour (outdoors)...
    It's basically trackless forest, so you would normally make one mile per hour of walking, but tracking reduces it further to one mile per two hours. You generally cannot take 20 on survival as this would take prohibitively large amount of time.

Following tracks: (your original roll) - one mile in 2 hours
    Following tracks: (1d20+10)[13] - no progress in 1 hour
    Following tracks: (1d20+10)[17] - one mile in 2 hours
    Following tracks: (1d20+10)[12] - no progress in 1 hour
    (it's getting late, you start getting tired and you estimate you are 4 hours walk from home; you can abort at any point starting from here)

Following tracks: (1d20+10)[14] - no progress in 1 hour
    Following tracks: (1d20+10)[21] - one mile in 2 hours
    (the sun begins to set)
    Last edited by u-b; 2021-04-21 at 12:08 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1003
    Titan in the Playground

Jessica follows along a little more subdued than usual. She stays close to Henri, despite a growing awareness that her proximity makes him a little uncomfortable. After the first few minutes, she discovers that her frequent small words of encouragement are more of a distraction than a boon, and she becomes even more quiet over the hours of tracking that follow.

Unable to help much in her own right, she continues to stay close, carrying her glaive as if she expects every single tree to be full of gibbering Goblinoids, but blessedly she finds her anxiety unfounded. "I don't think we want to be caught outside by those creatures," she opines, as the afternoon wanes. "Can we note what we've done so far, and try to start again here in the morning?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    The question is as much for u_b as Henri. How difficult/reasonable would it be to break up our search into multiple days? Obviously, the extra travel will cut into downtime, but I don't think most of us are going to miss that as much as the adventuring activities.

14. - Top - End - #1004

NecromancerGuy

Henri appears to get more and more frustrated as his efforts continue. He bites his tongue, speaking hardly at all during the entire afternoon except to warn others of danger or where not to step to avoid smudging tracks. As the sun gets low in the sky he scowls, a generally ugly, frightening expression on the man's rough, war-scarred face, and tries to push on for several more minutes before deciding his efforts won't bear fruit this day. "You all probably want to get back to the colony...I wouldn't mind sleeping in the wild, but not with goblins about. Let's go back, try something else tomorrow..." he mutters before turning to begin leading the way back to the safety of the walled colony. He's clearly very frustrated and more irritable than usual, but does his best to push through courteously and get everyone home safely.

Once back in the confines of the wooden walls the half-orc makes no effort to hide but remains even less sociable than usual. He apologizes, once, to Jessica for snapping at her before excusing himself to go to bed early. "If anyone has any ideas, tell me. I'm going to sleep...see what comes to me overnight..." he grumbles as he stomps off to a solitary resting place.

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Troll in the Playground

Hewitt decides to piece together a few of the details they currently had at their disposal even if most of it was conjecture. "Werent you told about some goblins up the montains when you visited the..... spider creature? If we also add what that "man" said back at the ruins, about something in the sky.... Well, shouldnt it be plausible that we might bear some fruit by seraching on high ground?" Hewitt suggests to his teammates. "Both our enemies and possbibles might actually be on the same place...."
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

16. - Top - End - #1006
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I would try to get rid of those goblins first," Laurelata said, "they can be really annoying and they can probably climb the palisade easily."

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Ettin in the Playground

You mark your location on the map, mark it on the surrounded trees and mark your way back to the village until you the area you have thoroughly mapped some time before and are thus familiar with. This does not take much extra time, but still you come back to the village completely exhausted, mainly because of being on your feet and walking through the jungle for almost the whole day. You take your dinner and fall asleep. At least that part was easy.

DAY 21 AFTER LANDING

You wake up, prepare to depart, still feeling the post-effects of your activities yesterday, but determined to find the base of the goblins. It takes some time to walk back along your markings, some time to pick up the trail again, but then Henri and Lightburn lead you straight all the way to the goblin village. Which is just as well, because you are already tired from being on your feet and through the jungle for ten hours straight. You estimate you are 5 hours walk from home, which you can hope to reach about the sunset if you leave now, but at least there is enough light now to make your observations... or whatever's your plan...

Spoiler
    Show
    Walking back along your markings - 4 miles in 4 hours
    Following tracks: (1d20+10)[14] - no progress in 1 hour
    Following tracks: (1d20+10)[21] - one mile in 2 hours
    Following tracks: (1d20+10)[18] - one mile in 2 hours

Goblin village map. You are somewhere to the south-west. Specify distance and make stealth checks to remain unseen. From the ground level you would mainly see the stockade and maybe the tops of the larger tents, but make perception checks anyway.

18. - Top - End - #1008

NecromancerGuy

Henri spends several long minutes, just observing the goblin village and the surrounding area. "Are we going to attack them? No diplomacy? " he asks the others. At their answer of 'no' he nods and continues. "We should observe and then surprise them. Hide and watch to see if they change their guards or anything. I can camp out here - are the rest of you ready?"

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Henri is prepared to go full commando - stealth and observe until he feels confident that he knows the best time to attack, and then either report or do it. He would take the time to make a hiding place, use his Survival skills to make a ghillie suit, etc... This is the sort of thing he did as a ranger for the armies back in the Inner Sea (see his background). How far we want to go with this is up to the other players/PCs.

19. - Top - End - #1009
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Laurelata will observe for a moment and then retreat a bit so they can talk without alerting the goblins.
    "I would like to know how many there are," she said, "before we attack. We're not with that many and I'd rather not go against a large group. Also I'm not really all that keen on killing the little ones, but if we let them live, we condemn them to dead as well. Maybe we should try to talk first.
    Although I would suggest that if we talk, only one person would go, with the rest ready to cover in case they don't want to talk."

20. - Top - End - #1010
    Ettin in the Playground

You see a goblin observer to the east, well-elevated above the village and the surrounding area. You also see a thin smoke rising from the center of the village - cooking a dinner, aren't they? Nothing much noteworthy besides that, unless you spend more time to watch for other possible activities.

21. - Top - End - #1011
    Titan in the Playground

Jessica stays well back from the Goblins, though she becomes increasingly nervous as the space between her and the party increases. She doesn't let them get more than about 20' away, though she finds herself uneasily creeping forward, desperate to remain silent. She doesn't even speak when queried by Henri and Laurelata, just shaking her head to the negative. Only after withdrawing a safe distance with Laurelata does she break her silence.

"Normally, I think I would agree, but they haven't shown any signs of diplomatic intentions so far. They attacked us on sight in the blacksmith when we first arrived, and they almost killed me by ambush just the day before yesterday." She scowls irritably, an odd sight on her usually optimistic face. "I don't know if we'll be enough to best all of them, but I don't know if it's wiser or more dangerous to try and bring some of the guardsmen with us."

After several minutes, she looks back at Henri, impressed and a little confused by just how hard he is to spot when he tries to be. "Lets wait here a little and see if he can get a good count," she offers. "It never hurts to have more information."

22. - Top - End - #1012
    Troll in the Playground

Hewitt feels like groaning when he sees the village. "More? How many more of those disgusting pests do we have to deal with?" Hewitt whispers in his complain. Hewitt just hoped they could get rid of such annoyances ever since he came across them. Lightburn seemed indifferent for the most part. "Can we take all of them? They seem like a lot of enemies. They might be able to swarm around us." Lightburn replies worried while looking back at the team.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

23. - Top - End - #1013
    Ettin in the Playground

You spend better part of two hours watching as Henri prepares (and almost completes) a ghillie suit. Lightburn can smell that they start, and then end, roasting something on that fire. Fifteen minutes later the guard on the top observation post is changed. Ten minutes later you see a lone monkey goblin approaching with a basket full of indigo mushrooms with large caps and short stipes. She does not seem to notice you.

Spoiler
    Show
    Doing anything other than watching?

24. - Top - End - #1014

NecromancerGuy

Henri works quietly and with intense focus, ignoring the others unless they are too loud or move too much and risk exposing their position. As he nearly completes his efforts he says, "From here I can camp overnight, maybe even a couple of days, watch and take note of their habits. What will all of you do?"

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Henri really will go all solo commando (stealth) to observe the goblins, if the rest of the party allows it. Once he is set up he should be able to settle down and take 20 on his Stealth check to get a 25, which should allow him to avoid discovery unless they are actively searching him out. Of course, this isn't the most party-friendly action, at least not until after he is done and can report the best time/place to attack the goblin village.

As a player I am flexible too. Unless someone has something else to suggest, though, I am going to have Henri continue with his plan to continue watching from a position of stealth.

25. - Top - End - #1015
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I think we best stay in the vicinity as well," Laurelata said softly, "I think it's safer that way. I can be very stealthy as well."

She will also make a ghillie suit, following Henri's lead and then continue to observe, trying to figure out how many goblins there are in the village.

26. - Top - End - #1016
    Troll in the Playground

"If the mission requires stealth, Lightburn might make a great addition to the scouting. Despite his size, he knows how to move without making much sound. My small size also helps me when it comes to that task." Hewitt replies feeling pretty comfortable of staying undetected.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

27. - Top - End - #1017
    Titan in the Playground

Jessica blanches further and further as the rest of her companions voice their relative ability to remain unnoticed. "I- ah," she begins, before visibly stopping to calm her quavering voice. "I'm not good at that. At all." She falls silent, considering whether she should just have waited at the colony today, or how else to address the risk, when she notices the Goblin approaching. Immediately, she falls into a crouch, hoping to avoid the Goblin's notice, and gesturing frantically for her companions to notice it.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Going to try to hide from the lone mushroom-picker. (1d20+1)[15]

In a long-term sense, if we stay overnight, Jessica is not plausibly going to remain hidden. I don't feel like that's a good option. Unless I misread the situation, that leaves splitting the party as our only alternative.

28. - Top - End - #1018
    Ettin in the Playground

The mushroom-bearing goblin walks her way since you let her. The guard shouts something down and the heavy wooden gate is opened by the time she reaches them. It does not open far, though, and does it towards the outside, which means that from your position you get no better opportunity to see what lies beyond. The goblin enters and the gate closes right back.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll advance some more time when it is clear how exactly you are going to spend it. It is possible to move a part of the group 200 feet away and camp it there without a fire with virtually no chance of being seen. A loud enough shout might alert them as needed. Will take some time to re-unite, but that's it.

29. - Top - End - #1019

NecromancerGuy

Henri looks at Jessica with an expression that proves difficult to read. Looking back towards the village and then at his mostly finished ghillie suit he shrugs. "Shouldn't have to go all the way to the colony. Come with me - we'll find a place for you to camp," he says, the offer to anyone not getting ready to case the goblin village from stealth.

Once a campsite is set he says, "No fire, and keep it quiet unless something attacks. We will do the same and meet in the morning." Then he returns to where Laurelata, Lightfoot, and he will settle down to watch the goblins...

30. - Top - End - #1020
    Ettin in the Playground

Henri and Laurelata keep watching the goblins while Hewitt and Lightburn provide a conpany to Jessica so that she is not all too alone in her camp. There is not much activity throughout the evening. The sun sets and it becomes naturally dark. Problem for some, but not for Laurelata. You keep watch, however organized, throughout the night. About at midnight, you see the goblin guard changed again. And then there's the morning.

DAY 22 AFTER LANDING

In the morning, they seem to start a small fire again. At least, you see that much smoke rising. Some time after that, the guard is changed again. You notice that the guard that was changed in the evehing was an adult male. The guards standing through the night were women. And now it seems to be a male that is very young. Some time after that, still early in the morning, three males armed with shortspears leave the village. One of them is the guard that was changed in the evening. They go west along the worn enough track. These look like hunters and the west is generally the direction you came from, which leaves the possibility of them noticing your tracks sooner or later if your paths intersect.

Spoiler
    Show
    Please specify who has what amount of rest in what order. Anyone who does not have at least 4 hours rest (2 for Laurelata) at least using a bedroll will be fatigued by the morning. If Hewitt rests, Lightburn is out. Bringing him back would be somewhat loud and somewhat flashy.
    Last edited by u-b; 2021-06-02 at 11:32 AM.