New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Ruins of Azlant IC

The water smells reasonably fresh. Not perfectly fresh, since the well probably have not seen much use lately, but you suppose you could safely drink it. Speaking about the use of the well, there are some monkey goblin footprints, so they have probably used it. The fire pit reveals nothing out of ordinary.
    Last edited by u-b; 2020-04-12 at 11:48 AM.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Well, just to be sure," Laurelata said, "who's up for the next building?"
    She moved to the next building in the village, where she sneaked up to a window and peeked inside as she had done for the other buildings.

Spoiler: OOC rolls
    Show

Moving to building A9, doing the same routine.
    stealth: (1d20+6)[9]
    perception: (1d20+7)[27]
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

Instead of following Laurelata, Marius pulls out his bow as she announces to the next building she is about to approach it. Loudly.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ettin in the Playground

The name "Arkley" is carved into a wooden sign nailed next to the doorframe of this log cabin. You recognize the name Arkley (specifically, Rayland Arkley) as the leader of the first group of colonists who arrived on the Liberty’s Herald. A single, closed and latched door faces northwest. The latch has a provision for external lock, but no lock is currently present. The building has two wooden-shuttered windows, which are currently closed, but could be easily opened if you so desire. The architecture is otherwise the same as many of the other buildings.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

"Wait, for just a moment, please" Jessica calls, still standing by the well. "I should have done this earlier, but I guess I was too distracted by all the mystery and danger. Please, gather close." He raises her arms, and intones a brief prayer. "...and so, Eternal Rose, be gracious and bless us, who seek to correct the wrongs wrought here and bring beauty to a land of mystery and savagery."

She bows her head silently for a pair of heartbeats before nodding. "Thank you all. I should be a little better suited to helping now. At, least, a little."

She continues to follow at a relatively safe distance, this time waiting with Marius as Laurelata inspects the next building.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    For now, I'll pick Laurelata, Marius, and Taz to use Caravan Bond upon. The duration is not clearly delineated by the ability, so I'm inclined to think it should be measured in hours, at least. Let me know if you have issues with that, u_b.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks but what about Hewitt? the knight asks. I assume this does not work as well with his mystical connections, right?

Shield strapped on back, Marius follows Laurelata with his blade out.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth(1d20+4)[6]
    Perception (1d20+6)[25]
    Last edited by Spore; 2020-04-13 at 08:01 AM.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Troll in the Playground

"I can stay closeby to Jessica." Hewitt makes a suggestion based on his current capabilities left. "She is the one capable of keeping us healthy and I can keep us safe by summoning a creature if we get attacked. I even have a single abjuration left that I can cast on Jessica if the need arises."
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Jessica looks to the ground in embarrassment. "I... can only do it with three people," she admits. "I thought he'd be more likely to stay back, anyway. Maybe I'll get better at it someday, but I had to practice a lot when they first taught me. I used to only be able to do it with one." She offers a forced smile, trying to focus on the positive. Still, it's apparent that she's not as pleased with her efforts as she would like to be.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Laurelata looked at the building and then at Marius.
    "All windows barred and closed," she said, "what now? Rush inside or open one of the shutters?"

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Jessica shrugs. "Let's see if we can open the shutters, first.
    Easier to get away if something tries to come through the window.
    "

11. - Top - End - #281
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Okay, let's do that then," Laurelata said. She grabbed her rapier to make sure she could act when something tried to come out, went to one of the shutters and when everybody else was in place, she lifted the shutter and looked inside, trusting her low-light vision to see in the probable dim light.

Show

perception: (1d20+7)[27]

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ettin in the Playground

You open the shutters on one of the windows and look inside. There seems to be nothing animate inside. In fact, the inside of the house stands in contrast to most of the other buildings you have seen so far in that it is relatively organized and tidy. It contains plain wooden furniture, with simple amenities such as wall racks for weapons and armor (these are empty), a modest dining table and chairs, and a sitting chair with a makeshift cushion and footstool. Behind another window, a separate bedroom features a wooden bed frame and pallet mattress, a boot rack, and a large chest. There seems to be nothing animate either.

Upon entering the house and performing a regular search of its contents you have a reinforced feeling of normalcy. The large chest is unlocked and contains folded clothes and other personal items, including a silver pocket watch. Such timepieces are rare in the Inner Sea region, and this one also functions as a compass. It seems to be working correctly. Also, the chest contains a leather-bound book and a sheet of folded parchament.

Spoiler: Survival 10
    Show
    There seems to be present just enough dust to ascertain that the house has not been entered for 3-4 weeks.
    Spoiler: Know (local OR history) 10
    Show
    Study of the symbols on the watch’s face indicates it is of original Azlanti design. Given this fact, it is surprising it is still working, but it certainly does.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Troll in the Playground

"Well, better safe than sorry. Lets see if I can find any magical auras." Hewitt replies as he casts his spell once again. Being capable of seeing in the dark pretty well, he imagined that he woud be able to move around the house pretty easily as he scans the place in search of any signs of magic.

Show

Hewiit has darkvision.
    Casting detect magic.
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Marius seems really interested in the compass. That thing is remarkable. he mutters. He tries to check the time piece for any secret openings, like some medaillons have.

If not successful, he checks the book.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception (1d20+6)[17]

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Jessica's interest in the compass is similar to Marius'. "Yeah, it looks a lot like my wayfinder- except maybe... older?" She peers curiously at it for several seconds.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"It looks like an Aztlani timepiece," Laurelata said, "it's both a compass and a timepiece. I've seen one being sold before for quite a bit of money, but that one didn't work anymore. It's quite strange that this one does? Where did they manage to get one of those?"

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

While the others focus on the watch, Taz, far more interested in finding out what happened, searches the parchment first before moving onto the book.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+5)[8]

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

The only magical thing in the house seems to be the book, which features a faint aura. Looking closer, the aura seems to originate from an arcane mark on the front cover, reading "Hendrake". The contents of the book seems to be magical spells written down. You'll need to spend some time and effort deciphering them to know what spells it contains, but it seems about 3/5 full. The folded parchment happens to feature a fancy seal and, upon closer examination, seems to be the colony charter. You've signed the same when joining up. It lists all of the colonists of the first expedition. Most of the names are accompanied by checkmarks.

Spoiler: Know (local) 10
    Show
    Rayland Arkley is/was a former military man, not some sort of spellcaster.
    Spoiler: Know (local) 10
    Show
    Such important documents are not normally kept folded to prevent wear and tear.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hewitt know (arcana): (1d20+5)[24]
    Last edited by u-b; 2020-04-17 at 11:15 AM.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Strange to find that here," Laurelata said, "As far as I heard he wasn't a spellcaster. What would a spellbook doing here?"
    She looked at the list of colonists.
    "Why would there be checkmarks," she asked, "and why would they keep the charter here and like that? Strange and even more strange. There really is something going on here."

20. - Top - End - #290
    Troll in the Playground

"I am surprised to find a spellbook in such place. I am quite intrigued. So, does this hold historical value? " Hewitt replies with excitement as he breathing quickly went faster. He latches onto the book and holds it close to himself. "May I keep this? I can research it. Maybe find out about what spells were being researched. It could be quite iluminating to learn about its contents. It might even shine some light about what happened here." Hewitt keeps begging partially for his love of historical pieces.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Not every wizard is known to people. Some prefer privacy. Also I think alchemists are considered dilletante magic users, maybe this is more of a cook book? Marius says as he pockets the time piece. I take the time piece. It will help navigate once we inevitably go into the island. And my gut instinct tells me there is more to the thing. You take the spell book. We take the list of colonists, to check for everyone missing. Now excuse me. I remembered to check something.

Marius goes outside to look for a plum tree, specifically a sapling of it (assuming the colonists had no druidic magic).

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ettin in the Playground

Marius goes outside to look for a plum tree. After a quick look around that does not stray too far from the walled part of the village, Marius sees only one plum tree - a grown up specimen among the farm fields to the south-south-west.

Spoiler
    Show
    It's A17. If you go there, specify who goes and what path you take exactly.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Hey Marius," Laurelata called after him, "Shouldn't we first check the rest of these buildings before we go looking for something else? Just to be sure that nothing comes up behind us?"

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not good with remembering stuff. the knight says as he checks the trees. Does anything remind you of plum trees around here? Saplings perhaps? Or is it a riddle? I HATE RIDDLES! He then finally finds it, and points towards it. Come guys, there is something hidden amongst it. The tip was obvious.

If his friends follow, Marius leads them towards the tree. He does not hide, but Laurelata's yell made him kind of nervous so he equipped his shield and blade.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

Jessica glances about uncomfortably. "If you don't mind, Marius, I think Laurelata's right. I don't like the idea of leaving more buildings behind us with who-knows-what lurking about to give us problems. Let's make sure we're not being followed before we go to the tree." She gestures to the final few buildings nearby, for the moment staying put near Arkley's house.

"I agree that we need to look over there, though. I just want to make sure we don't have someone sneaking up on us when we do."

26. - Top - End - #296
    Troll in the Playground

Hewitt puts the book away on his back. "Well, I follow. Where should we head next?" Hewitt asks ready to follow the group to check the next building. He agreed on the importance of checking the rest since they had found some pretty vicious creatures in some of those buildings.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

"I agree we should finish in the town first," Taz says. Only half-heartedly though. She doesn't like leaving the mystery undiscovered, but she dislikes being prey more.

Show
    FYI, my posting might be spotty over the next week. I think I will keep up without issue, but I wanted to alert in case I do disappear.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

Then go finish the town. This is a raided outpost. Frankly if we wanted or had time to read through every lost soul's backstory before saving them, I would do so. Do a superficial scan of the buildings, and we should be on. I fear for the safety of dozens. We are well equipped, skilled individuals. We don't have to inch forward. Reluctantly Marius returns.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Just to check if there's any strange things or critters inside or any equipment we can use," Laurelata said, "or clues as to where they went or what happened."
    She moved to the next building and tried to look inside through a window.

Show

moving to A8 if those are buildings? If not, moving to A7.

stealth: (1d20+6)[25]
    perception: (1d20+7)[24]

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ettin in the Playground

The next long rectangular building appears to be a home, though larger than many beyond the palisade to the south. It has three windows, all covered with wooden shutters, and a single door facing northwest, which is unbarred and slightly ajar. You peek inside - first through the door and then moving open the shutters. Simple wooden furniture is in disarray throughout this residence. Tables and chairs are knocked over and pushed aside, though none appear willfully broken. Articles of clothing and household items are scattered across the floor as if they were examined briefly and discarded. A large pallet bed is visible in a separate room. A third room next to the bedroom has no windows.

Spoiler
    Show
    A8 stands for the gates and the choker-rolls-a-barrel trail you have already investigated. So, the next building is A7. In fact, the trail seems to originate from that building.