New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Ruins of Azlant IC

Marius draws his sword, and peeks inside quietly.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth(1d20+4)[18]
    Perception if needed (1d20+6)[10]

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

Inside the smithy building, the space is divided between personal living quarters and an indoor tool storage and work area. A pungent animal smell lingers in the air and a tussled pile of blankets on the wooden cot is soiled. The room is in a state of disarray, with tools such as tin snips, pliers, and files carelessly strewn all over. A few Medium weapons and pieces of armor are strewn among the debris.

A goblin-like creature with a long monkey-like tail is sitting on a rug in the center of the room. There are a shortspear near it and a bucket. The creature seems to be working on a piece of chain mail. It sits facing the door, but looks at its work the moment Marius peeks in, so does not appear to notice the ranger before he gets his head out of the doorway. Marius could not observe the whole of the room without opening the door further and did not take much time to observe it as it is, but he does notice at least one another similar creature sleeping on the cot, also with a shortspear near it.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Laurelata, her rapier already drawn, quietly follows. She didn't hear anything, but clearly Marius had, so she waited until he came back out.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Marius retreats, convening with Laurelata. Two mutated goblins. This island is weird. We should check with the others. he whispers. Have you seen anything worthwhile?

If she negates the question, he returns.

Spoiler: If we return
    Show
    There are just two mutated goblins inside the smitty. Possibly some kind of guards. This whole island gives me the creeps. Whatever happened did go down a few weeks in the past. These tracks are not fresh.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Jessica waits nervously near the shoreline. She fidgets uncomfortably, missing Hewitt's comment for a moment. While Marius and Laurelata take to the gentle slope, the summoner's words finally penetrate her dense confusion. "I- well, he wouldn't if you'd all have left that critter well enough alone!" she scowls. "Just because you have a cleric hanging around doesn't mean you should go around injuring yourselves for fun!"

Her frustration subsides somewhat as she cautiously approaches Lightburn, and begins to inspect the creature. "Gosh, you're a big guy, aren't you?" she says, treating the eidolon very much the way she would behave to a large hunting dog. "You don't seem too badly hurt, but I can maybe help if you need it..." She looks up to Hewitt. "Um. Light energy will heal him, right? I don't mean to be rude, but he seems... uhhh..." She lapses into silence, unable to find a polite way to clarify whether the eidolon is indeed alive or undead.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

Hewitt waits for the signal from Marius. Lightburn waited right besides him. Hewitt was petting him while getting an earful from Lightburn. Hewitt knew he needed to train in his skills using his scimitar. Hewitt took the chance to apologize. Hewitt turns his atention to Jessica when addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    Jessica waits nervously near the shoreline. She fidgets uncomfortably, missing Hewitt's comment for a moment. While Marius and Laurelata take to the gentle slope, the summoner's words finally penetrate her dense confusion. "I- well, he wouldn't if you'd all have left that critter well enough alone!" she scowls. "Just because you have a cleric hanging around doesn't mean you should go around injuring yourselves for fun!"

Her frustration subsides somewhat as she cautiously approaches Lightburn, and begins to inspect the creature. "Gosh, you're a big guy, aren't you?" she says, treating the eidolon very much the way she would behave to a large hunting dog. "You don't seem too badly hurt, but I can maybe help if you need it..." She looks up to Hewitt. "Um. Light energy will heal him, right? I don't mean to be rude, but he seems... uhhh..." She lapses into silence, unable to find a polite way to clarify whether the eidolon is indeed alive or undead.
    "You are right. I just wanted to..." Hewitt turns to look at Lightburn and corrects himself after receiving feedback from him. "We wanted to prove ourselves useful to the team. Still, you are probably right. We probably ended up looking foolish. And in the process we made you waste valuable resources. So, in name of both of us, I would like to apologize on the matter." He adds while making a vow.

"As for the request, he heals with the same type of healing powers that can be used to heal myself." he replies. In a surprising turn, Lightburn adds. "Thanks." Hewitt knows that him blurting out anything in public was quite unusual. Knowing what Lightburn said could be seen as rude, he adds. "Thank you kindly from both of us."
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Maybe these goblins were living here and they were disturbed," Laurelata said when they were back with the others, "or they were pushed here.
    The fact is we don't know, but we'll have to decide what to do about them. As long as we encounter them in small numbers, we should be able to handle them I think."

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

As Marius returns, he utters.
    There are just two mutated goblins inside the smitty. Possibly some kind of guards. This whole island gives me the creeps. Whatever happened did go down a few weeks in the past. These tracks are not fresh.
    After listening to the others, he half-shouts:
    Can we PLEASE focus on the task at hand?

I'll say this flat-out. These are - or were - goblins. Squid-goblins. Crab-goblins. Monkey-Goblins. Something is wrong here. We may be safest in small groups, but we don't know what we will face next. But then again, there seems to be no immediate hurry, as the settlement was attacked long ago. So we should scout and keep our eyes open. We do not know what or who caused this. Is there any record of goblin tribes or other creatures on this island?

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Jessica listens politely as Hewitt responds, more than a hint of chagrin on her features as she feels astonishingly familiar with a similar desire to prove herself. Humbled, she nods slightly "I accept your apology, wholeheartedly."

When the little fellow answers the question she didn't quite ask, she blushes furiously, with just a hint of the beginning of tears welling up in the corners of her eyes. "I'm so sorry! I didn't mean-" She lapses into an awkward silence again, still too nervous to phrase her words in a way that pleases her. She begins to approach Lightburn, more like a child approaching a big dog than anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaOldeWolf View Post
    In a surprising turn, Lightburn adds. "Thanks."
    Jessica literally jumps backwards, landing gracelessly on her butt in the sand, eyes wide as dinner plates. "Did- did you just-" She mouths more words, but for a moment no sounds come out. She looks, up now, to Hewitt. "He can talk!?" Blushing once more, she returns her gaze to the canine-looking eidolon. "I mean, sorry, you can talk??" Surprise melts into confusion and wonder, as she begins to interact with a being wholly unknown to her and acknowledges the truth of the matter. "I guess that'll simplify communication, huh?"

With a deliberate effort of will, Jessica turns her attention to the holy symbol and raises it high. "Here you go, uh... I guess I should just call you Lightburn, huh?" Another subtle pulse of energy beckons forth from the icon, suffusing the gathered trio and eidolon with a pleasant feeling.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    2nd channel for (1d6)[5] HP

As Marius returns, Jessica struggles to pay attention to him- still more than a little awed by Lightburn's very existence. She turns her eyes to the ground sheepishly when he raises his voice, but manages to focus on his words instead of the fantastic creature pawing the sand nearby.

She frowns at his last question. "I was trying me best to pay attention on the way here," she begins. "I'm pretty sure this colony is from the first wave of settlers, and the island was completely unknown before they arrived?" She glances around warily at their surroundings, suddenly keenly aware that her well of divine power is perhaps their only source of life-sustaining energy on the island. "If they're half as dangerous as Goblins- and maybe more so, it only makes sense for us to stay together- even if we're not very good at moving quietly..." She continues to glance about distrustfully at every tree, hillock, hovel, and wall- anything that might hide a lurking Goblin or two, mixed only with glances towards the more-veteran seeming of her companions. She settles on Marius and Laurelata.
    "Should we try to root them out of the town here, or do you think there are too many for that?"

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"We could try," Laurelata said, "but a lot will depend on how many exactly there are. We came back as soon as we found the first ones, so there might be more. I would say we go and have a look, but make sure we always have either a quick way back to the boat or a defensible position where they can't mob us."

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Taz shakes her head and pedantically interjects, "these monkeys and the squids, yes, but the crab creature was a fey. Goblins aren't fey."

Taz listens to the others and then says, "Ramona tasked us with ensuring the colony is safe, so we should do that. We certainly can't leave the area with the boats moored at this dock. At least one of the gobopuses survived. Goblins... they were just a common hazard of life back in the mines. They aren't so tough in small numbers, it is when they swarm that they are..." she trails off for a moment as memory strikes an old wound. Regaining her composure, she continues, "when they vastly outnumber their attackers is when they are dangerous. They are craven, vile creatures that bicker a lot. Their propensity for discord means they tend to break off into small isolated groups in their camps. I suggest we try to isolate the small groups and take them out one-by-one before reinforcements arrive." Mostly to Jessica she adds, "goblins are truly wretched creatures. The world is much better off without them."

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    Jessica listens politely as Hewitt responds, more than a hint of chagrin on her features as she feels astonishingly familiar with a similar desire to prove herself. Humbled, she nods slightly "I accept your apology, wholeheartedly."

When the little fellow answers the question she didn't quite ask, she blushes furiously, with just a hint of the beginning of tears welling up in the corners of her eyes. "I'm so sorry! I didn't mean-" She lapses into an awkward silence again, still too nervous to phrase her words in a way that pleases her. She begins to approach Lightburn, more like a child approaching a big dog than anything else.
    Jessica literally jumps backwards, landing gracelessly on her butt in the sand, eyes wide as dinner plates. "Did- did you just-" She mouths more words, but for a moment no sounds come out. She looks, up now, to Hewitt. "He can talk!?" Blushing once more, she returns her gaze to the canine-looking eidolon. "I mean, sorry, you can talk??" Surprise melts into confusion and wonder, as she begins to interact with a being wholly unknown to her and acknowledges the truth of the matter. "I guess that'll simplify communication, huh?"

With a deliberate effort of will, Jessica turns her attention to the holy symbol and raises it high. "Here you go, uh... I guess I should just call you Lightburn, huh?" Another subtle pulse of energy beckons forth from the icon, suffusing the gathered trio and eidolon with a pleasant feeling.
    Show
    2nd channel for [roll0] HP

Hewitt explains about Lightburn. "He isnt the kind to speak much. He usually ask me to share his thoughts with anyone else unless he really thinks it might be necessary. It is pretty unusual for him to address anyone else at all."

He greets them when the rest of the team returns with their findings. After hearing about the situation and the connection between the creatures being confirmed. He decides to bring up a couple of important points about the mission. "Still, this leaves us with a few blank spaces to fill in so that we have the whole picture. Is everyone from the village dead? If someone survived the goblin attack, either being taken captive or if they ran away from the setting, we could get valuable information. It is also important to consider our current position. We escaped from from of the octopus goblin creature. If this was an organized ambush, there is a possibility that their leader knows about our presence and even worse, they know about the rest of the travellers. This means we dont have much time waste. We need to decide what to do in our limited time frame and take action as soon as possible."
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Sounds like a good plan," Laurelata said, "let's go get these two and then we'll see afterwards. We can go like me and Marius scout a bit, then we attack what we see there, we scout a bit, we attack, and so on."

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Marius picks up his shield, and points his sword towards the settlement. I say we retake the settlement. Then, we can explore the surroundings. Tonight, we organise a watch. We need to track the other people. Even if they are dead, their bodies don't just vanish unless they threw them into the sea.

Marius looks a bit uneasy towards the docks, glancing over the glowing wolf as it speaks. We should flank them in two t... he pauses. Did the wolf speak just now? Hewitt, your abilites are extraordinary. What other skills does your ally have?

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

"Slowly but surely reducing their numbers should work for our advantage, especially since we dont know their exact numbers." Hewitt adds in agreement to the established plan. After being ask about Lightburn, he decides to share the information about his partners special capabilities. "He has a pretty great sense of smell, he can swim with great skill and he can cast a single spell. A spell know to create lights of different colours that can be controlled at will. Besides that, he is a pretty decent combatant with a good eye to see in the dark."
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Okay, let's go," Laurelata said, "one thing, if possible can we have one shot before people rush into melee. Makes it easier to aim."

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

We can try to sneak as far as we can. Once we are close enough, you get a clear shot, we barge in. Lightburn? Marius adresses the eidolon. You seem fast. Can you flank along the northern side?

With these words, Marius parts the group in two parties. Lightburn, Laurelata, Jessica? You take the north, you are faster. Taz, Hewitt and me take the more direct south route. We are a bit more sluggish. All clear?

If everyone agrees, Marius takes the lead of the southern group.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

"Sounds like a plan." Hewitt replies. "Lightburn and mysef can keep both teams on communication since we can speak mentally to one another in case anything goes wrong." The two separate into the two teams.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Okay, let's go," Laurelata said. Moving forward, she took her team towards the north side of the smithy, going around and keeping an eye out for any other goblins or other things that might be present in any of the other houses or tents they passed. As soon as they were in place, she waited until the other team was in place.
    Last edited by farothel; 2020-03-11 at 02:27 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Taz nods in agreement to the plan. To the 'fast' group she says, "I'll see you on the other side of this."

Show
    Stealth: (1d20+1)[18]

Realized that you might be waiting on me, but I think we have a quorum.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

In two groups, you sneak up onto the smithy, where Marius has seen those monkey goblins. As you approach, you neither hear nor see any bursts of activity from any building of the village, so you can only suspect that (a) nothing has changed and parcicularly (b) your close presence has not been noticed. Currently, you cannot see the inside of the building unless you move the curtain on the southern window or peek again through the eastern door. These are the only ways to access the inside of the building.

Spoiler
    Show
    Guess where is Jessica. I'm willing to take another stab at her portrait, but this time I promise I'll copy it where I'll keep the access to it.

I've placed the monkey goblins where Marius has seen them. You can take surprise round now, then roll for initiative OR try to sneak around etc. risking to lose the surprise. Anyway, the door requires a move action to operate if you want to go through.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Jessica follows in the middle of the group as they return under Marius' silent guidance.
    As they take up positions around the smithy, she watches for a glance from the warrior before stepping forward to throw open the door- leaving a clear line of attack for her allies.

Show
    Ugh. I hate photobucket. I'll find the picture again.

Also, unless there's an issue, I'll use Jessica's surprise round to eat the move action so everyone else can get in without issue? I know we didn't explicitly discuss it, but it seems a reasonable strategy to have planned in advance.

Spoiler: Jessica, surprise round?
    Show
    Jessica Cooper
    F NG Aasimar (Angel-blooded) Cleric, Level 1, Init 2, HP 9/9, DR Acid, Cold, Elec resist 5, Speed
    AC 11, Touch 11, Flat-footed 10, CMD 13, Fort 3, Ref 1, Will 4, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 0
    Glaive +2 (1d8+3, x3)
    Dagger +2/+1 (1d4+1, 19-20,x2)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 16
    Condition +2 CL for divination spells
    Augery 2/2 (weekly)
    Inner beauty: 1/1
    Alter self: 1/1
    Channel energy: 6/8, 1d6
    Touch of good: 5/5
    Bit of Luck: 5/5

Move action to open the door- preceded by a 5-foot step if necessary.
    (1d20+2)[8] initiative

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Since she was better in shooting anyway, she didn't mind that there was only a window on this side. She looked along the side of the building towards Marius and nodded to him. Then she took her bow, pushed the curtain slightly aside, looked in and shot an Arrow at one of the goblins inside.

Spoiler: OOC surprise round and init
    Show

surprise round: shoot one Arrow at one of the two goblins (the one farthest from the door)
    shot: (1d20+3)[5]
    damage: (1d6)[3]
    sneak attack (as I think they are inside 30ft): (1d6)[6]

initiative: (1d20+9)[28]

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

Hewitt decides to assist by buffing one of his companions. No point in going inside to help. "Allow me to offer you some protection. It should help against foul creatures such as them." He requests permission to cast a spell on Marius. Lightburn follows after Jessica into the house.

Show

Hewitt uses his turn to cast Proection from evil on Marius if he accepts the suggestion.

Lihghtbunr moves behind Jessica.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

With her left hand, Taz pushes the curtain aside; with her right hand, she takes aim. Grasping onto the plane of water, she channels the torrent through her and unleashes a nearly supersonic jet of water at one of the gobkeys.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+2)[8]

Kinetic blast far gobkey: (1d20+3)[22] Damage: (1d6+6)[12]

Spoiler: Character Details
    Show
    Tazmara Stonesong
    F NG Dwarf Kineticist (Aquakineticist), Level 1, Init 2, HP 13/13, Speed 20
    AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-footed 13, CMD 13, Fort 6, Ref 5, Will 1, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 0
    PBS Water Blast +3 (1d6+6, x2)
    Heavy Pick +1 (1d6+1, x4)
    Studded Leather (+3 Armor, +2 Dex)
    Burn 0/7

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Marius draws steel and barges into the hut.

Spoiler
    Show
    Moving to D6 through the door.

Quote Originally Posted by DaOldeWolf View Post
    Hewitt decides to assist by buffing one of his companions. No point in going inside to help. "Allow me to offer you some protection. It should help against foul creatures such as them." He requests permission to cast a spell on Marius. Lightburn follows after Jessica into the house.

Show

Hewitt uses his turn to cast Proection from evil on Marius if he accepts the suggestion.

Lihghtbunr moves behind Jessica.
    Marius accepts for now.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

Jessica and Lightburn move from the northern side of the building to the eastern one, the only side that contains the door, while Laurelata moves to the southern side, the only side that contains a window. While this movement is going on, Hewitt approaches closer to Marius to cast the spell. Marius and Tazmara delay to better coordinate their assault with the rest of the party.

When everyone is almost in position, Lightburn, moving past the anvil, brushes against a hammer that is standing there on the ground with the handle leaning against the anvil. The hammer falls to the ground, making some noise, but not all that much. Hewitt barely suppresses an exclamation and proceeds to cast a spell on Marius. This involves a verbal component, so there is no longer a reason to remain stealthy. Jessica opens the door. She sees two monkey goblins inside, one of which, in the center of the room, is on his feet and armed with a shortspear. The other is sleeping on a cot with a shortspear nearby. The monkey goblin also sees Jessica and shouts a warning. Moment later, the curtain on the window is moved aside and a powerfu jet of water hits the monkey goblin, blasting him for 12 damage. From their position next to the window, Tazmara and Laurelata can see more monkey goblins than Jessica does and than Marius has advertised. A third monkey goblin is sleeping on the bunk in the north-eastern corner of the room, though now all of them seem to have awaken and are trying to reach for their weapons. Laurelata shoots an arrow into the room, quite a distance away from any of the targets and then armed Marius barges in.

Spoiler
    Show
    Since more than just one surprise round worth of actions was posted (mainly movement to get in position), I'm rolling some stealth checks first...

Monkey goblin perception: (1d20+0)[18]
    Jessica stealth: (1d20+1)[19]
    Laurelata stealth: (1d20+6)[14]
    Lightburn stealth: (1d20+2)[9]
    Hewitt stealth: (1d20+6)[9]

Monkey goblin init: (1d20+4)[7]
    Hewitt init: (1d20+2)[19]
    Marius init: (1d20+2)[9]

@Spore: D6 is more like through the window. Getting there through the door would incur an AoO from the armed monkey goblin, so I am not moving you there unless you insist.

=> Party (everyone, any order, but Lightburn can perform only standard action - he lost the init, but delayed during surprise round)

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Just my luck," Laurelata thougth as she fired again. With one goblin more, it was imperative to finish this fight as quickly as possible.

Spoiler: actions
    Show

shooting at goblin C5
    attack: (1d20+3)[18]
    damage: (1d6)[2] ; sneak attack: (1d6)[5]

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Still outside the window, Taz fires another high pressure jet of water at the gobkey rising in the back of the room.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Standard: Kinetic blast E3 gobkey: (1d20+3)[13] Damage: (1d6+6)[12]

Spoiler: Character Details
    Show
    Tazmara Stonesong
    F NG Dwarf Kineticist (Aquakineticist), Level 1, Init 2, HP 13/13, Speed 20
    AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-footed 13, CMD 13, Fort 6, Ref 5, Will 1, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 0
    PBS Water Blast +3 (1d6+6, x2)
    Heavy Pick +1 (1d6+1, x4)
    Studded Leather (+3 Armor, +2 Dex)
    Burn 0/7

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

Hewitt stays outside the house knwoing he couldnt assits more to the situation at hand. Lightburn is annoyed of not having any creature within reach but stays on the defensive in case anything decides to attack him.

Show

Hewitt takes no actions.
    Lightburn begins fighting defensively.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores: