New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1732333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1499
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Ruins of Azlant IC

"Well, IŽll trust your judgment on this." Hewitt declares as he follows the group. Lightburn decides to be at the very last of the group when returning in case they could be attacked.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Let's get a move on," Laurelata said, moving as quickly as she could in the water, "that trap looked like it was user-activated and now there might not be anybody manning it. We could sneak through without trouble now... hopefully."

She won't rush through the trap, just in case there is a back-up mechanism, but she will check out to see if there are more grindylows and if there are none, she will check out the trap for such a mechanism.

Spoiler: OOC rolls
    Show

Perception: (1d20+8)[25]
    disable device to study the trap (if there are no grindylows): (1d20+7)[9]
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Ettin in the Playground

You make your way back to the trap. Standing before it and having enough time for visual examination, Laurelata can definitely say that it is both user- and victim-activated. Specifically, the tripwire on the far end of the trap will activate it. If one moves fast enough, he could be out of the area before the rocks hit the bottom. If he's not fast enough, he will be crushed by them. That grindylow apparently thought himself fast enough.

Spoiler
    Show
    It's up to you how you intend to actually cross it. Right now, you see no grindylow at the far end.

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"So...I'm not fast, even in the water, with my bum leg," says Henri as the mechanism is explained. "I would stand between you and a Grindylow, but I don't think I can help here." The half orc looks at the others, waiting to see if anyone volunteers to go disable the tripwire...

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I normally am fast enough," Laurelata said, "but not in this water. I think it will be either Taz, who can swim through without touching the mechanism and if not, is fast enough in the water, or Lightburn, for the same reason."

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Titan in the Playground

Jessica follows dutifully, commenting, "Nice shot, Taz!" as the Dwarf nails one of the goblin/squids. She looks on with clear confusion as her companions discuss the trap.

"Ah, I hate to be difficult, but where's the tripwire?" she inquires of Laurelata. "Uhhh.... I don't think I see it," she admits sheepishly, after it's pointed out to her yet again.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    According to the OOC thread, it seems like Lightburn is a foolproof solution? I'm totally on board with that.

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Troll in the Playground

Lightburn steps forward. "IŽll do it. I am the best swimmer between all of us. There is no point in risking anyone else.". Hewitt looks at Lightburn and wishes him good luck. "Just try to be careful. We will be waiting for you to return to us. Laurelata, if you please, guide Lightburn until he is close to the trap to trigger it as planned."

Show
    Lightburn will swim until he is close to the trap. Wait a turn. And then on his next turn, trigger it and try to swim back as fast as possible. Lightburn has a swim speed of 40ft.
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Ettin in the Playground

Laurelara explains the situation. She points out, from a distance, at the tripwire at the far end of the trap. Looking up at where the stones for the trap are located, you quickly come to a conclusion that turning back to the group after triggering the trap will be a suicide. The escape through the far end should be easy enough if done at speed without stopping.

Lightburn nods and swims straight through the dangerous area, the tripwire and out of the far end. The mass of stones fall behind him, splashing loudly, thudding at the bottom, and generally causing everything and everyone to be aware of the event. You follow Lightburn through the trap, which is now no longer dangerous, but simply hard to get through because of all those not very stably heaped stones. The way seem to lead further east and then north. A grindylow is watching you taking cover behind a cave wall in the deep area to the south.

Spoiler
    Show

The seagull is on Laurelata's left shoulder.

=> Party

9. - Top - End - #1239

NecromancerGuy

"They seem to keep back when watched - I'll stay at the rear and keep this one and the octopi from surprising us," says Henri. He does exactly that as the party continues down the tunnel, his bec de corbin at the ready.

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I'll take point," Laurelata said, "best have Taz as second, she's best in this environment. Hewit, Jessica and Lightburn stay in the middle.
    If nobody objects, she would move out further into the cave, slowly, trying to make as little noise as possible and while looking out for more dangerous stuff.

Spoiler: OOC rolls
    Show

Perception: (1d20+8)[22] (with an extra +1 for traps)
    stealth: (1d20+7)[13]

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Titan in the Playground

Jessica nods at Laurelata's suggestion, putting a stoic face on her obviously uneasy demeanor. "Gladly. Before we go on, is everyone fully prepared?"

Show
    I've still got plenty of channels to use. If you need it, please speak up!

12. - Top - End - #1242
    Troll in the Playground

Hewitt nods in agreement to the plan. "Alright. We should keep moving anyway, We dont much of this place and I wouldnt exactly be thrilled with the idea of spending the night here with all the disgusting creatures lurking around." Hewitt shrudders at the mere thought of it.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

13. - Top - End - #1243
    Ettin in the Playground

After a sharp switchback in the tunnel, a gradual upward slope leads out of the water and into this roughly round chamberwith a dome-like ceiling. The floor is covered in a mixture of sand and coarse stones. Rising from the ground near the center of the room is a massive statue of a hand, carved from a smooth, pearlescent, sea-green marble. The hand is bent back at the wrist and posed as if to catch something or to cradle something in its palm. If anything more exists of the statue, it is buried beneath the earth. A fairly large grindylow of almost your size sits on this hand as if it were a throne, holding a spear rested on the ground and trying - reasonably successfully - to look royal and contemptuous. Having made only a limited amount of noise after that major trap noise, you might have had some hope of a stealthy approach if only sayd gringylow was totally blind. But in the illumination you've brought into this otherwise dark cave, you can clearly see that you have been noticed.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #1244

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Holy cow, Henri would not want to be that far from the party! Can he instead be at BM10 or so? Getting isolated is a horrible way to go in dangerous, sea caves with enemies...

Coming up from the back of the party Henri quietly says, "Seems he'd be weaker out of the water. Let's cut off the head of the snake. Dead or alive?" He then moves a bit forward trying to set himself at a spot where he can charge at the presumed king grindylow after the party answers his question.

15. - Top - End - #1245
    Troll in the Playground

"Well, if its up for vote. IŽll say dead. I dont trust these creatures at all and they can only mean trouble in the long run." Hewitt declares as he commands mentally for Lightburn to get into position in case they decided to attack the enemy.

Show

Depending on the consensus, here are the actions:
    1. If it is decided to engage in combat, Lightburn will move forward 30 ft.
    2. If not, they will stay put.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Taz breathes in deeply, then respoinds to Henri's question with her verdict, "dead." Her hatred of goblins and their ilk simply runs too deep.

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

As soon as the sea floor rose and she could, she took her bow out of its protective oilskin cover and readied it.
    "Dead it is then," she said when they noticed the bigger goblin. Taking an arrow, she let fly.

Spoiler: OOC actions and rolls
    Show

I'm not sure if I can do this without first having to roll initiative, so I'll edit if needed.

attack: (1d20+4)[15] for damage: (1d8+1)[7] (extra damage (2d6)[7])
    initiative: (1d20+9)[18]

18. - Top - End - #1248
    Ettin in the Playground

The grindylow observed and listened attentively. The words, even if they were not quite understood, did not seem to constitute an attempt at communication with the rightful ruler of this cave. In these circumstances, one of the intruders drawing a bow was more than enough to reach all the necessary conclusions. The grindylow is quick to act on them. Quicker, in fact, than your whole bunch. The grindylow is next to Laurelata as soon as she has the bow ready in hand. A thrust of a spear... and the only thing that prevents a half-assed dodge from turning into a real disaster is the rogue's magical armor. Still, she finds herself too close and personal. With a bow in hand.

Spoiler
    Show
    Brinetooth init: (1d20+5)[18]

Henri init: (1d20+1)[5]
    Hewitt init: (1d20+2)[7]
    Jessica init: (1d20+2)[4]
    Laurelata init: (1d20+9)[17]
    Lightburn init: (1d20+2)[3]
    Tazmara init: (1d20+2)[5]

Brinetooth charge with spear: (1d20+11)[14] for (1d8+8)[12]

There's a 30-feet charge for you. Slow - yes. Too slow - well, not quite...

=> Party

19. - Top - End - #1249
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

That one is fast, Laurelata thought. She dropped the arrow she had in her right hand, drew her rapier (leaving her bow in her left hand as she wasn't using a shield) and tried to run the goblin through.

Spoiler: OOC Laurelata round 1
    Show

free action: drop arrow
    move action: draw weapon (no AoO)
    standard action: (1d20+4)[6] for damage: (1d6)[2]

20. - Top - End - #1250

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Round 1, Henri's Status
    Show
    Henri (no last name)
    Male True Neutral Half-Orc Ranger (Wild Stalker), Level 2, Init 1, HP 18/22, Speed 20 ft
    AC 17, Touch 11, Flat-footed 16, CMD 17, Fort 7, Ref 6, Will 4, CMB +6, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Bec de Corbin +5 (1d10+9, 20/x3)
    Breastplate (+6 Armor, +1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 18, Dex 12, Con 15, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 7
    Condition Power Attack

Henri gasps in surprise at the sudden charge and begins rushing forward to try and get to melee with the grindylow leader. "Get around him and let me through! " he grunts with the effort to move through the water.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Move forward as far as he can to be able to try and attack at the grindylow king. With a double move I suspect he can get close for next round.

21. - Top - End - #1251
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

At the sudden dash of the grindylow, Taz steps back - half from surprise, half from training. She focuses and the water around her undulates and droplets form and separate, spinning around her in a misty spray. She then concentrates, pulling a ton of energy from her source, and fires an exceptionally powerful blast past Laurelata at the giant grindylow.

Spoiler: Taz, Round 1
    Show
    5ft step to BK10
    Move: Channel
    Standard: pushing infusion, water blast on BH10, take 1 additional burn for 1 non-lethal damage
    Attack: (1d20+1)[16] (+1 vs abberations, -4 cover from Laurelata)
    Damage: (1d6+6)[11]
    Bull rush CM: (1d20+7)[23] (5 ft push, if 5 over CMD, 10 ft push) (+1 abberation, +1 PBS)

Spoiler: Taz stats
    Show
    Tazmara Stonesong
    F NG Dwarf Kineticist (Aquakineticist), Level 2, Init 2, HP 22/23 (1 NL), DR Cold/pressure - 1, Speed 20 / 20 (swim)
    AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-footed 13, CMD 14, Fort 7, Ref 6, Will 1, CMB +2 (5), Base Attack Bonus 1
    PBS Water Blast +4 (1d6+6, x2)
    Dagger +2 (+3 thrown) (1d4+2, 19-20/x2)
    Heavy Pick +2 (1d6+1, x4)
    Studded Leather (+3 Armor, +2 Dex)
    Abilities Str 12, Dex 14, Con 19, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8
    Condition Having a swim speed grants a +8 bonus on some swim checks (most others are not needed)

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Titan in the Playground

"Over here, Henri!" Jessica calls, urging her companion forward. As he passes, she calls upon Shelyn's grace to aid herself and her allies.

Casting Bless, so all allies will get +1 attacks and saves vs fear for the next minute.
    Spoiler: Jessica, round 1
    Show
    Jessica Cooper
    F NG Aasimar (Angel-blooded) Cleric, Level 2, Init 2, HP 14/14, DR Acid, Cold, Elec resist 5, Speed
    AC 11, Touch 11, Flat-footed 10, CMD 14, Fort 4, Ref 1, Will 5, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 1
    Glaive +3 (1d10+3, x3)
    Dagger +3/+2 (1d4+1, 19-20,x2)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 16
    Condition +2 CL for divination spells
    Augery 2/2 (weekly)
    Inner beauty: 1/1
    Alter self: 1/1
    Channel energy: 5/8, 1d6
    Touch of good: 5/5
    Bit of Luck: 5/5
    Talisman of good fortune: reroll natural 1 (once, then it crumbles)
    Bless: 0/1
    Protection from Evil: 1/1
    Unprepared slots: 1

Cast bless
    If that bull rush knocked him back enough to allow it, Jessica will move behind Henri as far forward as possibly BH 10

23. - Top - End - #1253
    Troll in the Playground

Before Hewitt can speak, Lightburn lets him know that he will go to help his companions at the other tunnel mentally. Hewitt feeling vulnerable decides to retreat back into the cave to the split between the two sections. Lightburn comes out and goes to meet with the enemy.

Show
    Assuming he is on BI 12, Lightburn will move to BG 11. Then he will attack the grindylow with a bite
    (1d20+4)[7] Damage (1d6+2)[6]
    Hewitt will move back BM 12.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

24. - Top - End - #1254
    Ettin in the Playground

You try to attack and surround the grindylow. It does not go particularly well. Only Tazmara's attack hits and the following advance results in some congestion in the northern passage. The grindylow, pushed a bit back by the blast, stands and fights there, flailing the tentacles at Henri for no real effect. In between the tentacle swings, the spear hits the half-orc's breastplate for no penetration, but it does leave a sizable dent.

Spoiler
    Show
    Brinetooth tentacles: (1d20+12)[13] vs CMD
    Brinetooth spear: (1d20+9)[16] for (1d8+8)[11]

You can use BH11 no problem. BH9 will impose squeezing penalties.

=> Party
    Last edited by u-b; 2021-08-19 at 02:03 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1255
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Laurelata tried to run past the goblin, ducking under his spear, before moving so they would surround it and it would have to divide its attention and she could hit it in its soft places.

Spoiler: OOC Laurelata round 2
    Show

move action: move to BF10 via BH11 (I'll take the attack of opportunity). I should be able to get there with my move and then I'm flanking with Henri.
    standard action: attack (1d20+4)[12] for damage: (1d6)[1] (and (1d6)[2] sneak attack) (due to flanking)

26. - Top - End - #1256
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Inspired by Laurelata, Taz also dashes forward and draws her pick. She pushes past Henri while the Grindylow is distracted by Laurelata, then stops across from Lightburn. She swings her hefty weapon at the massive grindylow.

Spoiler: Taz, Round 2
    Show
    Move through Henri to BG9
    Standard Attack: (1d20+5)[22] (+1 vs abberations, +2 flanking)
    Damage: (1d6+1)[7]
    CC (25): (1d20+5)[14]
    Damage: (3d6+3)[11]

Spoiler: Taz stats
    Show
    Tazmara Stonesong
    F NG Dwarf Kineticist (Aquakineticist), Level 2, Init 2, HP 22/23 (1 NL), DR Cold/pressure - 1, Speed 20 / 20 (swim)
    AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-footed 13, CMD 14, Fort 7, Ref 6, Will 1, CMB +2 (5), Base Attack Bonus 1
    PBS Water Blast +4 (1d6+6, x2)
    Dagger +2 (+3 thrown) (1d4+2, 19-20/x2)
    Heavy Pick +2 (1d6+1, x4)
    Studded Leather (+3 Armor, +2 Dex)
    Abilities Str 12, Dex 14, Con 19, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8
    Condition Having a swim speed grants a +8 bonus on some swim checks (most others are not needed)

27. - Top - End - #1257

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Round 2, Henri's Status
    Show
    Henri (no last name)
    Male True Neutral Half-Orc Ranger (Wild Stalker), Level 2, Init 1, HP 18/22, Speed 20 ft
    AC 17, Touch 11, Flat-footed 16, CMD 17, Fort 7, Ref 6, Will 4, CMB +6, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Greataxe +5 (1d12+9, 20/x3)
    Breastplate (+6 Armor, +1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 18, Dex 12, Con 15, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 7
    Condition Power Attack

"Ungh, " growls Henri as his armor stops the piercing strike of the enemy's spear. Then he steps out of the water, drops his polearm, draws his greataxe, and chops down at the squid-goblin with an overhand swing!

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Henri doesn't actually move, mechanically. He does drop his bec de corbin (free action), draw his greataxe (move action), and attack with power attack (standard action): (1d20+5)[18] (19 with Bless) to hit, (1d20+5)[13] (20/x3), (1d12+9)[16] slashing damage, (2d12+18)[36] critical strike damage

28. - Top - End - #1258
    Troll in the Playground

Hewitt decides to join the rest through the other tunnel. Meanwhile, Lightburn keeps trying to torn apart the creature with its powerful jaw.

Show

Bite (1d20+4)[23] Damage (1d6+2)[3]
    Hewitt will move to the other tunnel at BL 10
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Titan in the Playground

Jessica follows as Laurelata advances, taking her vacated position behind the Half Orc. "Stay strong, Henri! You can do it!" She places another divine boon on the ranger, this one a protective effort.

Cast Protection from Evil on Henri
    Spoiler: Jessica, round 1
    Show
    Jessica Cooper
    F NG Aasimar (Angel-blooded) Cleric, Level 2, Init 2, HP 14/14, DR Acid, Cold, Elec resist 5, Speed
    AC 11, Touch 11, Flat-footed 10, CMD 14, Fort 4, Ref 1, Will 5, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 1
    Glaive +3 (1d10+3, x3)
    Dagger +3/+2 (1d4+1, 19-20,x2)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 16
    Condition +2 CL for divination spells
    Augery 2/2 (weekly)
    Inner beauty: 1/1
    Alter self: 1/1
    Channel energy: 5/8, 1d6
    Touch of good: 5/5
    Bit of Luck: 5/5
    Talisman of good fortune: reroll natural 1 (once, then it crumbles)
    Bless: 0/1
    Protection from Evil: 0/1
    Unprepared slots: 1

5-foot step and cast PfE on Henri.

If an AoO happens, she may be close enough to capitalize:
    (1d20+4)[13] glaive AoO
    (1d20+4)[10] CC (24, x3)
    (1d10+4)[7] damage
    (2d10+8)[19] crit bonus

30. - Top - End - #1260
    Ettin in the Playground

Laurelata, ducking under a spear thrust, gets behind the grindylow and tries to stick a rapier into the creature. The grindylow is well aware of the attack and deflects it with one of the tentacles. While the two were thus occupied, Tazmara gets in positions on the other side of the grindylow and whacks it with a pick for 7 damage. The grindylow is not particularly amused. While the three were thus occupied, Henri whacks the grindylow with a blow of his own, cutting a few ribs and into the chest for mighty 16 damage. Lightburn also takes his bite of the grindylow, tearing a tentacle a bit for 3 damage. Jessica steps closer to the action and casts a spell on Henri for no visible effect.

The grindylow is in a really bad shape now, gets cawed at by the seagull, which by now takes a seat on the "throne", but ignores the distraction and flails the tentacles at Henry, sweeping both legs from under the man and stabbing him deep in the back for 16 damage when he falls on the floor.

Spoiler
    Show
    Brinetooth spear AoO: (1d20+9)[11] for (1d8+8)[9]

Brinetooth will: (1d20+2)[14]

Brinetooth tentacles: (1d20+12)[32] vs CMD
    Brinetooth spear: (1d20+9)[22] for (1d8+8)[16]

Henri is prone with 2 hit points.

=> Party