New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Ruins of Azlant IC

Marius steps to the left, but tries to slash at the center goblin.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+4)[5]
    (1d8+3)[4]

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Jessica steps up behind Marius. Unable to find the space to maneuver with her glaive, she lays a hand and a blessing on his back. "Shelyn smiles upon you, Marius! Fortune favors the bold!"

Spoiler: Jessica, round 1
    Show
    Jessica Cooper
    F NG Aasimar (Angel-blooded) Cleric, Level 1, Init 2, HP 9/9, DR Acid, Cold, Elec resist 5, Speed
    AC 11, Touch 11, Flat-footed 10, CMD 13, Fort 3, Ref 1, Will 4, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 0
    Glaive +2 (1d8+3, x3)
    Dagger +2/+1 (1d4+1, 19-20,x2)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 16
    Condition +2 CL for divination spells
    Augery 2/2 (weekly)
    Inner beauty: 1/1
    Alter self: 1/1
    Channel energy: 6/8, 1d6
    Touch of good: 5/5
    Bit of Luck: 4/5

move action to ready her glaive
    standard action to bless Marius with bit of luck- between now and until Jessica's next turn, anytime he rolls a d20, he rolls twice and takes the higher result.

If that's applicable to this attack (instead of next round's attack), I'll ask you to roll it, u-b.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

Laurelata shoots an arrow through the window and hits the western monkey goblin in the belly for 7 damage. Tazmara shoots another jet of water, at a different target this time, and hits the northern monkey goblin for 12 damage. Lightburn and Hewitt wait for a better opportunity to act. Jessica bestows on Marius a blessing of Shelyn and the man strikes the central monkey goblin down with a blow for 4 damage. Two others stand up and get themselves armed.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    If that's applicable to this attack (instead of next round's attack), I'll ask you to roll it, u-b.
    By default I resolve in the order of posting, but it is just that - a default. Generally, you are free to specify a different order and I am not going to penalize you just because you were busy.

Marius sword alt: (1d20+4)[18]

=> Party

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

It went quite quickly this time, Laurelate thought as she shot again at the same goblin monkey, hoping to take it out of action this time.

Spoiler: OOC actions
    Show

shoot again at monkey C5.
    attack: (1d20+3)[20]
    damage: (1d6)[5]

Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

With one Goblin quickly dispatched, and Marius stepping into the room, Jessica feels emboldened to make her own advance. Glaive held out threateningly, she steps into the smithy. After a quick glance side to side, she swipes the broad-bladed spear towards the more wounded creature.

Spoiler: Jessica, round 2
    Show
    Jessica Cooper
    F NG Aasimar (Angel-blooded) Cleric, Level 1, Init 2, HP 9/9, DR Acid, Cold, Elec resist 5, Speed
    AC 11, Touch 11, Flat-footed 10, CMD 13, Fort 3, Ref 1, Will 4, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 0
    Glaive +2 (1d8+3, x3)
    Augery 2/2 (weekly)

(1d20+2)[6] glaive attack
    (1d20+2)[3] crit confirm (22, x3)
    (1d8+3)[8] dmg
    (2d8+6)[19] crit bonus

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

After pelting the far goblin with a potent blast of water, Taz launches a follow-up shot at the same gobkey.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Standard: Kinetic blast E3 gobkey: (1d20+3)[11] Damage: (1d6+6)[12]

Spoiler: Character Details
    Show
    Tazmara Stonesong
    F NG Dwarf Kineticist (Aquakineticist), Level 1, Init 2, HP 13/13, Speed 20
    AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-footed 13, CMD 13, Fort 6, Ref 5, Will 1, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 0
    PBS Water Blast +3 (1d6+6, x2)
    Heavy Pick +1 (1d6+1, x4)
    Studded Leather (+3 Armor, +2 Dex)
    Burn 0/7

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

Lightburn leaps into action and tries to bite one of the goblins. Hewiit decides to stay outside and keep watch in the meantime just in case any more enemies arrived and to avoid getting in the way of its teammates.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Bite on the C5 Goblin Monkey: (1d20+3)[8] Damage:(1d6+2)[8]

Lightburn Outsider Eidolon 1 NG HP 11 / 11 Speed ft Init 2 AC 12 Fort 3 Ref 4 Will 2 CMB +3 BAB 1 Bite 3 (1d6+2, x2) Str 14 (2) Dex 14 (2) Con 13 (1) Wis 10 (0) Int 7 (-2) Cha 11 (0)
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Marius lunges forward and strikes the northern monkey, keeping his stance wide to dodge, block or parry any incoming attacks.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+4)[17]
    (1d8+3)[6]

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

Laurelata places second arrow not far from the first into the same monkey goblin for 5 damage. Jessica steps inside and swings her glaive around for no real effect. Tazmara blasts another jet of water, but this time hits only the wall as the monkey goblin is now aware of the danger coming his way and dodges it. Lightburn leaps in past Jessica but his teeth only bite empty air as the monkey goblin on the cot avoids the attack. Marius lunges at the northern monkey goblin and strikes him down for 6 damage.

The only monkey goblin left standing sees no way to escape and fights on. He stabs at Lightburn, but, as he moves, is overcome with pain from two arrows lodged in his belly and hits only empty air.

Spoiler
    Show
    Monkey goblin shortspear two-handed: (1d20+5)[7] for (1d4+3)[7] (incl. +1 higher ground)

=> Party

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Marius shifts over to the last goblin. His movements are well-trained, but largely predictable. More than enough for an untrained enemy such as this however.

Spoiler
    Show
    5ft. step towards the goblin, slashing it. (1d20+4)[24]
    (1d8+3)[6]

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

With third true strike Marius cuts down the last monkey goblin. Three swings, three goblins down - that blessing of Shelyn must be a good thing indeed. You look around and listen for a few moments, but no more opponents seem forthcoming.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

"Well fought, Marius!" Jessica cheers gleefully. She takes a quick stock of her allies' states, and is pleased to find no one nursing injuries or even bruises. "Well fought, everyone," she says, more quietly. "Let's see if there's anything useful to be found in here." She begins rooting about the contents of the smithy, looking more for signs or messages left by its erstwhile owners than equipment, but keeping her eyes open for either.

Spoiler: just kidding
    Show
    Once more, Jessica intones a quiet prayer, "Shelyn, guide my ally's efforts!" With a gentle touch, Marius feels the subtle sensation of warmth, a minor manifestation of divine providence.

Spoiler: Jessica, round 2
    Show
    Jessica Cooper
    Glaive +2 (1d8+3, x3)
    Augery 2/2 (weekly)

Use touch of good to grant Marius +1 to hit and most other d20 checks until next turn.

Keep glaive out in the interest of AoOs, should the Goblin-monkey try to flee:
    (1d20+2)[10] AOO
    (1d8+3)[10] dmg

(1d20+2)[6] crit confirm
    (2d8+6)[19] crit bonus dmg
    I guess none of that was needed.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Not a bad idea," Laurelata said, coming inside. First she checked if her arrows were still usable, as it would be difficult to row back to the ship to get more, so any she could reuse was good. Then she helped Jessica go through the room, first for anything they could use and then things that might give a clue as to what happened here.

Spoiler: OOC rolls
    Show

perception check to search: (1d20+7)[20]

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

You spend some time rummaging through the smithy. You find:

a roasted parrot*
    a pound of dried fruits*
    a supply of medium-sized man's clothes
    a full complement of assorted smithing tools and a supply of steel and coal
    a masterwork medium chain shirt
    a work-in-progress small chain shirt and half a bucket of rings
    two masterwork medium machetes
    a masterwork darkwood buckler re-made into a small light wooden shield that could be reasonably easily re-made back if desired
    40 steel arrowheads

Spoiler
    Show
    *These are packed together in some broad leaves and are reasonably fresh, suggesting them to be the monkey goblins' packed snack.

Arrow reusable yes/no: (1d2)[2] (1d2)[2]
    Last edited by u-b; 2020-03-18 at 12:53 PM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Looks nice," Laurelata said, looking at the chainshirt, "but except for this chainshirt there's nothing I can really use. At least not well. Well, anything we can't use at the moment we can just leave here. We know where it is."

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

Hewitt enter the house after the end of the battle. He then asks Lightburn to wait outside in case any enemies arrived. After the items are found, he decides to check them out for himself. "I dont think I can use any of these for myself." Hewitt suddenly smiles. "....but we could always use the items that we dont need for revenue for our business plans." He decides to inspect the quality of the products reunited from the inspection.

Show

Lightburn will go outside to keep watch.
    Hewitt will appraise the items acquired. (1d20+6)[9]
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Marius picks a machete up and swings it a few times. This could prove useful. To Jessica's congratulations, he smiles at her. I could've sworn I missed my first strike, when you prayed and the little bugger jumped right back into my blade's way. I'm starting to like that Shelyn gal.

The ranger looks at Laurelata. We should at least take the arrowheads for you. They are hard to come by in a jungle. I'll carry them. With all the other crap I am heaving around, the difference is nothing. Now, shall we proceed? Stay here, I will try to find the right track.

Marius goes outside, and checks the main road, then the north east for a greater bunch of human sized foot prints going out of town and into the jungle. If he does not find any, he prays against it*, but checks the shore again.

* The other direction would mean either slavery by ship or disposing of bodies.

Spoiler
    Show
    Track/Survival: (1d20+7)[24] +1 from Track, I assume I don't qualify for the Machete bonus.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Be careful," Laurelata said. If nobody took the chainshirt, she quickly swapped it out, leaving the studded leather here for pickup later. The time it took would give Marius time to scout out. If he wasn't back by then, she would go after him, concentrating mostly on the rest of the town.

Show

I'm not sure if Marius would be back by the time I switched armours, but if not, I'll also scout the rest of the village.

stealth: (1d20+6)[24]
    peception: (1d20+7)[9]

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Jessica's own search is interrupted by a questioning glance from Laurelata regarding the chain shirt. With an uneasy expression, the young priestess shakes her head. "I could probably learn how," she begins, frowning. "but I don't think I'd ever feel comfortable in armor. I know it sounds silly, but I feel like I'd better pass." She forces a smile as the archer shoulders into the mail, offering her aid to simplify the process.

At Marius' comment, Jessica absolutely beams. Grinning easily, with an authenticity that casts her vibrant emerald-hued eyes to dancing in the dim smithy, she almost giggles at the praise. "Shelyn certainly cares for her own! Perhaps she likes you, too!" She punctuates the "you" with a gentle finger on the ranger's chest, almost unreasonably pleased to have been able to help in such a tangible way.

When Marius steps outside to search for tracks, Jessica's eyes follow him with a troubled expression. She's obviously worried, though it's hard to be sure over what. She waits, impatiently, for word of his findings.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Taz stares dumbfounded at Hewitt's business ambitions. Seems neither the time nor the place, she thinks as she shakes her head. Poking at the food she says, "these look like rations - perhaps these gobkeys are visiting here and not settled," she says optimistically. Then her expression turns dour as she adds, "or these things have different eating habits. I have no idea."

As Marius heads off, Taz says, "we should stick together - there may be more of these things around. I'll come with you."

Show
    Taz needs nothing. Chainshirt would be nice, but Taz can take a hit much better than Lauraleta. Shield wouldn't be something she's use.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

Marius, acompanied by Jessica and Tazmara, goes looking for tracks in and around the village. He finds all signs of many people leaving, entering and moving around the village. All those tracks are at least a few weeks old. Marius finds nothing abnormal in the movement patterns. There are also fresher tracks. First, monkey goblin footprints in and around the smithy. They clearly were using the smithy and the central well of the willage. Second, a 3.5 feet wide, heavy and flat trail, that corresponds to no natural creature with a set of odd, starfish-shaped footprints running down the center of the flattened trail. Marius deduces that something large and heavy was rolled away from the house A7, and that the footprints belong to whoever or whatever was pushing the object. This trail is under a week old and leads south through the gate in the palisade fence, south along the street and then east to a lone farmhouse A18.

Laurelata changes her suit of armor and goes clockwise inside the partially-complete walls of the willage. The first house to check is therefore A4. This mud wall building has a door facing east and one shuttered window. Above the door is a plain wooden sign that reads, "Tool House". The contents of this building are useful but unremarkable. Hanging on the wall from hooks and nails are an assortment of tools, such as hammers, handsaws, hatchets, machetes, trowels, and the like. Various other implements, such as makeshift ladders, barrels of tar, and shovels are stacked or otherwise arrayed about the room. Absent are tools and implements that would pertain to or be exclusively used for blacksmithing (you think you already found those in the smithy). Laurelata suddenly realizes that there is no way the original colonists could relocate successfully without taking these tools. In fact, these materials are vital to the survival of the colonists who arrived on the Peregrine. While the second wave of colonists brought some of their own tools, they made plans around these resources being available when they arrive.

Hewitt takes some time to guesstimate the findings. Apart from adventuring gear, which Hewitt estimates could be worth about of thousand gold in total, the smithy could be worth between maybe five hundred to one thousand gold, this is including the building, the forge, and tools. But there are a few important limitations of these estimates that Hewitt is aware of, but cannot immediately correct. First, the estimates are based on civilized lands prices. The supply side here in the colony is much less elastic. Second, Hewitt is not sure about property rights. Finders keepers might be a desirable outcome, but will depend on the recognition by Ramona and fellow colonists. Hewitt in particular very much doubts he could successfully claim property rights on the entire village.

Spoiler
    Show
    Marius did not check the north-east or the shore yet, because he was busy with the trails, especially the one that leads to farmhouse. You can continue with your original plan or check that farmhouse or whatever. I will move things forward a bit more some time tomorrow.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Laurelata moved on to the next house, using the same manner. Be stealthy and keep your eyes open.

Show

I'll take the next house, which I think is A3 and then to A11. As long as she's not called by the others, she continues exploring
    perception: (1d20+7)[8]
    stealth: (1d20+6)[13]

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SanguinePenguin View Post
    Taz stares dumbfounded at Hewitt's business ambitions. Seems neither the time nor the place, she thinks as she shakes her head. Poking at the food she says, "these look like rations - perhaps these gobkeys are visiting here and not settled," she says optimistically. Then her expression turns dour as she adds, "or these things have different eating habits. I have no idea."

As Marius heads off, Taz says, "we should stick together - there may be more of these things around. I'll come with you."

Show
    Taz needs nothing. Chainshirt would be nice, but Taz can take a hit much better than Lauraleta. Shield wouldn't be something she's use.
    "Ha!" Hewitt laughs Taz´s comment off. "There is always time for business. I am already behind schedule due to being part of the second wave of settlers." Hewitt adds before going back to finish searching the quality of the product.

Quote Originally Posted by u-b View Post
    Hewitt takes some time to guesstimate the findings. Apart from adventuring gear, which Hewitt estimates could be worth about of thousand gold in total, the smithy could be worth between maybe five hundred to one thousand gold, this is including the building, the forge, and tools. But there are a few important limitations of these estimates that Hewitt is aware of, but cannot immediately correct. First, the estimates are based on civilized lands prices. The supply side here in the colony is much less elastic. Second, Hewitt is not sure about property rights. Finders keepers might be a desirable outcome, but will depend on the recognition by Ramona and fellow colonists. Hewitt in particular very much doubts he could successfully claim property rights on the entire village.
    Hewitt is glad about the findings after having a look though he is doubtful about the outcome. Currently, he wasnt in the best position. He had to keep working in gaining the favor of the captain and hopefully a few settlers. Hopefully, he could at least keep their findings on this house. He decides to wait for the retun of the team inside the house.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Marius investigates the farmhouse further.

Spoiler
    Show
    You can roll whatever you need for that. I assume Perception? (1d20+6)[9]

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

Laurelata checks the next house clockwise from tool house. This rectangular building is constructed of mud brick walls. The building has a simple door facing east, but unlike all other buildings in the colony, it lacks any windows. A heady smell of dried plants, herbs, and dried meat lingers in the air. The door lacks a means to bar it from within. Inside, the ground has been dug out to a depth of 3 feet so that the floor is lower than the ground outside. A short flight of steps set with flat stones leads into this darkened area, lit only by any ambient light coming through the door. The building lacks interior walls except for a few short partitions, and four stout posts support the roof. The temperature is cool and the smell of rotted vegetables and meat is strong. Strings of garlic hang suspended from ceiling crossbeams alongside chunks of salted meat and bone. Debris and refuse is strewn across the floor between stacks of crates, boxes, and barrels against the walls. This is obviously the food storage and it is apparent that some of the containers have been opened, but some others remain sealed. Laurelata moves inside to more closely assess the state of the food stored. She takes off a lid from one of the boxes and is surprised by a swarm of large cockroaches crawling around inside and eating potatoes stored in the crate. She drops the lid on the floor and the cockroaches that were on the lid fall off it on the floor and on Laurelata's feet. Soon Laurelata discovers that they bite, and do it very painfully for 5 damage. More cockroaches seem to come out from the box and, Laurelata notices, there are more crawling between the containers elsewhere.

Marius goes on to investigate the farmhouse. The house is located atop a sloping hill stands somewhat apart from the rest of the colony. A stone well has been built not far from the house's front door. A large stone near the entrance is painted with the words "Levin Farm". Just south of the cottage is a tilled vegetable patch that grows wild from neglect. From the outside, it seems there is nothing unusual about the house. It has a thatched roof, a single entrance with a working door, and a few shuttered windows. The tracks lead straight to the door. Marius carefully opens the door and enters the building. He does not notice a loose floorboard, but is able to react shifting his weight back when he steps on it and does not make any excessive noise. The interior of the house contains only simple wooden furniture and an assortment of common household and personal items. This state of this house is disarray, with chairs and tables flipped over, blankets torn to shreds, and produce such as corn and melons gnawed upon and then discarded to rot on the floor. Marius looks into the bedroom and notices a creature sleeping on the bed, an open barrel of beer on the floor, and a certain stench of beer hanging tight in the room. The creature is presumably drunk and is apparently a choker - an underground predator that noramlly dwells on the outskirts of subterranean ruins or in the deep shadows of nameless cavern outposts, lurks in the darkness and lashes out with their long, rubbery arms to grasp prey as it passes by.

Hewitt waits for the others to come back to the smithy.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cockroach swarm stealth: (1d20+14)[34]
    Cockroach swarm hits for (1d6)[5] damage

Marius stealth: (1d20+4)[14] and reflex (1d20+4)[19]
    Marius knowe (dungeoneering): (1d20+5)[24]

I am not providing a map for Laurelata's encounter with cockroach swarm because I don't think we really need one just yet.

=> Laurelata (Marius & co. are not currently in combat, but can start one with a surprise action)
    Last edited by u-b; 2020-03-20 at 11:51 AM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Laurelata managed not to scream, but she did move out of the house as quickly as she could, running back to the smithy, where she knew some of the group were still waiting. That swarm was something she couldn't handle at the moment. They probably would have to burn the building down to get them all.
    "There are very painful cockroaches over there," she said to Hewitt, who seemed to be the only one still there.

Spoiler: OOC status
    Show

Okay, disengagement out of combat (or whatever it was) and then back to the smithy.
    3 hitpoints left. I'm not going into combat for now.
    As to the other dude, Coupe the grace I would say. Easy enough.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

Now that Laurelata is able to breathe and think, she thinks she has seen a box labeled "Pest Control" on a shelf in tool house.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Jessica finds herself following Marius, albeit at a safe distance. When the ranger leads the way into a farmhouse, she instead remains outside, not trusting herself to staying well hidden. She fidgets nervously, holding her glaive- halfway expecting to hear Marius cry out and charging inside.

For the moment, however, she just fidgets nervously. She locks eyes with Tazmara and breathes quietly "Ugh, I hope he's alright!"

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Taz whispers back calmly, "he seems pretty sharp. Any problems, he'll come get us or shout. Best thing we can do is be ready." She speaks with more authority than she feels in hopes of dispelling, or at least refocusing, some of the other woman's nervous energy.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Marius returns outside as silent as he can. Pearls of cold sweat are on his forehead. A choker, some underground monstrosity is in there. It chokes foes. Dueling this thing is a bad choice. If we get everyone together and ambush it however, we can overwhelm it pretty quickly. One thing concerns me however. It is a creatures of caves, of the dark. What is it doing here, and in broad daylight?
    Last edited by Spore; 2020-03-21 at 06:27 AM.