New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Ruins of Azlant IC

Taz scowls and nearly hisses her reply, "abberations... disgusting. Such abominations need to be put down." Taz thinks as to why it is here, and offers a few ideas, "maybe a choker in this part of the world has less of an aversion to the sun. Or maybe there is an entrance to the underdark near this farm. I wonder if the same underdark crosses the entire ocean to connect to here."

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Should we get the others? We can't risk using up more ressources, but surprising it now could mean it cannot get away. If you are up for it, I engage it, you two kill it then. Marius adds while strapping his shield on.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

"I am up for it, but I deal better at range. With you engaged, I'll have trouble hitting it and not you. If I can get a first shot off, I think we can do this. My clan had taught me a ton of little tricks for fighting against abberations. So I am ready," Taz says with confidence.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by farothel View Post
    Laurelata managed not to scream, but she did move out of the house as quickly as she could, running back to the smithy, where she knew some of the group were still waiting. That swarm was something she couldn't handle at the moment. They probably would have to burn the building down to get them all.
    "There are very painful cockroaches over there," she said to Hewitt, who seemed to be the only one still there.

Spoiler: OOC status
    Show

Okay, disengagement out of combat (or whatever it was) and then back to the smithy.
    3 hitpoints left. I'm not going into combat for now.
    As to the other dude, Coupe the grace I would say. Easy enough.
    "Oh! Thanks . Lets reunite with the rest. Lightburn could possible be capable of helping against the insects. He is got a pretty tough skin." Hewitt replies.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Jessica nods, the danger squelching her nerves like an overripe grape. "I'm... not very stealthy, but that seems like the best option. I'll wait here. As soon as you're ready, call out and I'll hurry in." With an expression of focus rather than fear, she counts under her breath while the other two companions try to spring a trap.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I really think a +1 mod isn't good enough to be worth risking waking the thing up. Much more likely to end well if you guys get a surprise round and I can get close enough to punish it for trying to stand (going from prone to standing provokes AoOs, as I recall).

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Maybe it's not needed," Laurelata said, "I saw something in the shed next door called 'Pest control'. Maybe we can use that to get rid of the roaches. But I'd rather have someone else do it or get a heal first. But let's go get a look first, okay?"

If Hewitt agreed, she would guide him towards the tool shed to get the pest control box, checking for roaches or other vermin before entering. Or preferably, ask to have Lightburn go in first.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

There are some cockroaches outside the food house in front of the entrance, but the swarm seems not to have extended far outside of it, so tool house, at the moment, is safe. There is indeed a "Pest Control" box in the tool house. Inside the box are another box and some set of clothing. Upon closer examination, the smaller box appears locked and the set of clothing appears to be a medium-sized swarmsuit.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Marius takes this as a yes and leads his friends inside, sneakily.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+2)[3]

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Taz follows right behind Marius into the farmhouse. The "stealthy" ranger kicks over a broom as he enters which clatters onto the floor. Then his foot flips up a stray horseshoe on the ground which starts to spin loudly against the wooden floor. "STOP KICKING THINGS!" Taz softly hisses at Marius. Afraid to lose her chance at a clear shot, she moves past the ranger, and fires a jet of water at the choker from the doorway to the bedroom.

Spoiler: @Spore
    Show
    I hope you don't mind the godmod of the stealth check.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+2)[10]
    Stealth: (1d20+1)[18]
    Kinetic blast choker: (1d20+3)[14] Damage: (1d6+6)[8]

This may be too many actions, if so it will roll over into her first round.

Spoiler: Character Details
    Show
    Tazmara Stonesong
    F NG Dwarf Kineticist (Aquakineticist), Level 1, Init 2, HP 13/13, Speed 20
    AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-footed 13, CMD 13, Fort 6, Ref 5, Will 1, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 0
    PBS Water Blast +3 (1d6+6, x2)
    Heavy Pick +1 (1d6+1, x4)
    Studded Leather (+3 Armor, +2 Dex)
    Burn 0/7

10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"That would be useful," Laurelata said as she held up the swarmsuit to Hewitt, "and let's see what's in this box. Carefully of course, as it's probably a poison of some kind."
    She first examined the box on the outside to see if she could figure out from the outside what was inside. And to see if someone had trapped it. She also checked to see if there was a key to the lock somewhere. If all questions were negative, she took out some of her tools and started working on opening the box, making sure that when she opened it, the opening was away from her so she wouldn't get caught in a cloud of poison, if that was indeed what was inside.

Spoiler: OOC actions and rolls
    Show

check the box on the outside for contents and traps: perception (1d20+7)[21]

If there is no key to the box:
    open the box: disable device: (1d20+6)[16]
    If it doesn't work the first time around, I'll simply take 20 and my time getting it open.

Last edited by farothel; 2020-03-24 at 06:30 AM.

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ettin in the Playground

Choker seems not to hear the blunder, but you don't hesitate to find out whether he really does. Tazmara, even moving quicker than she woud prefer, notices and avoids the loose floorboard that Marius failed to mention and moves very stealthily, so there is not much else for the choker to hear. He gets blasted by a jet of water for 8 damage and opens his eyes, which have their whites unhealthily red.

The contents of the locked box do not rattle in any way when the box is moved and there is no additional hints at what is inside. Neither there seem to be traps. Neither there seem to be a key in any sufficiently obvious place (you don't ransack the whole tool house). It takes some time, but Laurelata is able to open the box. Inside, in a neat soft packaging material, are (there is no texual commentary about what the symbols mean and what exactly the vials contain):
    - a glass vial of liquid, marked with skull and bones
    - a glass vial of salt, marked with skull and bones
    - two glass flasks of liquid, marked with flames

Spoiler
    Show
    Tazmara perception: (1d20+5)[19]
    Choker perception: (1d20-11)[-10]
    I'll treat him as helpless at the moment of Tazmara's attack, but no coup de grace on the attack from the doorway.

=> Marius and Jessica (surprise round)

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

Jessica charges in at Tazmara's signal, dashing to her side, and intoning a quick, silent prayer.

Spoiler: Jessica, round 1
    Show
    Jessica Cooper
    F NG Aasimar (Angel-blooded) Cleric, Level 1, Init 2, HP 9/9, DR Acid, Cold, Elec resist 5, Speed
    AC 11, Touch 11, Flat-footed 10, CMD 13, Fort 3, Ref 1, Will 4, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 0
    Glaive +2 (1d8+3, x3)
    Dagger +2/+1 (1d4+1, 19-20,x2)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 16
    Condition +2 CL for divination spells
    Augery 2/2 (weekly)
    Inner beauty: 1/1
    Alter self: 1/1
    Channel energy: 6/8, 1d6
    Touch of good: 4/5
    Bit of Luck: 4/5

Move in the doorway, into reach of the choker. Use touch of good on self for +1 to a suspected AoO when the choker rises.
    (1d20+3)[21] AoO
    (1d20+3)[11] CC (23, x3)
    (1d8+3)[4] dmg
    (2d8+6)[13] crit bonus

13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground

"Great! So, what should we do about it?" Hewitt wonders about how they should use the poison. He wasnt exactly knowledgable on the subject and he could use her guidance if she had a plan on how to use it.
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I have no idea," Laurelata said, "I assume that the ones with the skull and bones are poison of some kind and the ones with the flames are flammable, but without knowing what they are, there's not really a way to know how we should use them. And as long as those roaches stay inside that building, I would say leave them there. We have other things to worry about first."

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

Taking longer than needed, Marius finally realizes they thoroughly surprised the choker despite his obvious blunders. May I? Marius says as he steps in front of Tazmara.

Spoiler
    Show
    Moving to J15.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

Jessica charges in, but the position in the doorway of the choker's room turns out to be already occupied by Tazmara. Marius gets straight to the choker and tries to hit him as he quickly rises up from the bed, but does not manage to pierce his tough leathery skin. The choker quickly throws out both rubbery arm-like tentackes straight at Marius' neck. The man is able to interpose his shield to block one of the tentacles, but the other hits and grabs him by the neck, crushing it for 11 damage. Marius finds himself unable to speak and barely able to breathe.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative
    Choker: (1d20+6)[23]
    Marius: (1d20+2)[4]
    Tazmara: (1d20+2)[21]
    Jessica: (1d20+2)[8]

Marius sword AoO: (1d20+4)[10] for (1d8+3)[9]

Choker tentacle: (1d20+7)[19] for (1d4+3)[6] grab (1d20+8)[25] constrict (1d4+3)[4] (incl. +1 higher ground)
    Choker tentacle: (1d20+7)[21] for (1d4+3)[4] grab (1d20+8)[26] constrict (1d4+3)[7] (incl. +1 higher ground)

Marius has 1 hit point left and is considered grappling with the choker

=> Tazmara, Jessica and Marius (any order)

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

"Marius!" Jessica cries, startled by the sudden violence. She dashes under Tazmara's arms, reaches out and places her hands on the ranger's flank.

Spoiler: Jessica, round 2
    Show
    Jessica Cooper
    F NG Aasimar (Angel-blooded) Cleric, Level 1, Init 2, HP 9/9, DR Acid, Cold, Elec resist 5, Speed
    AC 11, Touch 11, Flat-footed 10, CMD 13, Fort 3, Ref 1, Will 4, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 0
    Glaive +2 (1d8+3, x3)
    Dagger +2/+1 (1d4+1, 19-20,x2)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 16
    Condition +2 CL for divination spells
    Augery 2/2 (weekly)
    Inner beauty: 1/1
    Alter self: 1/1
    Channel energy: 6/8, 1d6
    Touch of good: 4/5
    Bit of Luck: 5/5
    Bless: 1/1

move to J16, dropping the glaive outside the room.
    Convert protection from evil into CLW for Marius: (1d8+1)[5] HP for him

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Taz's eyes widen at the barrage of carefully aimed attacks, and go even wider as the tentacles coil around Marius's neck. This creature is incredibly dangerous. She pulls her pick into her hand, while her other channels another blast of water at the abhorent creature.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    So my reading of the rules: since the choker did not take -20 on the grapple attempt, it is also grappled, so it has -4 dex (AC -2). Taz is firing into melee, so -4, then +1 for attacks against abberations.

Move: Draw pick
    Standard: Kinetic blast choker: (1d20+0)[14] Damage: (1d6+6)[8]

Spoiler: Character Details
    Show
    Tazmara Stonesong
    F NG Dwarf Kineticist (Aquakineticist), Level 1, Init 2, HP 13/13, Speed 20
    AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-footed 13, CMD 13, Fort 6, Ref 5, Will 1, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 0
    PBS Water Blast +3 (1d6+6, x2)
    Heavy Pick +1 (1d6+1, x4)
    Studded Leather (+3 Armor, +2 Dex)
    Burn 0/7

19. - Top - End - #169
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by farothel View Post
    "I have no idea," Laurelata said, "I assume that the ones with the skull and bones are poison of some kind and the ones with the flames are flammable, but without knowing what they are, there's not really a way to know how we should use them. And as long as those roaches stay inside that building, I would say leave them there. We have other things to worry about first."
    "Well, we got what we came for. I´ll follow you to our next destination." Hewitt replies knowing there was still a lot to do before the had freed the whole place from the goblin invasion. Lightburn is still quite fresh to keep going.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Wait a moment," Laurelata said, digging in her pack for the healing potion they had been given. She quickly drank it, as she was still feeling the pain.
    "That's better," she added, "okay, let's go. Stay a bit behind me, but be ready to rush in."

She moved to the building on the other side of the food shed, keeping an eye out for any roaches that might take a little walk. When she reached the building, she sneaked up to a window and looked in.

Spoiler: OOC rolls and actions
    Show

drink potion of cure light wounds: (1d8+1)[9]

sneak to a window in the next building (I think it's A11 I have to look at now): (1d20+6)[10]
    Perception to look inside (and as elf, with low-light vision: (1d20+7)[24]

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

The ranger almost blacks out from the crushed windpipe, gasping for air. Following that, a familiar magical warmth floods his body, emanating from a small hand at his back, making it easier for the ranger to breathe again. Marius points his blade at the choker, seemingly like wanting to slice at the body amidst the tentacles.

Spoiler
    Show
    Freebooter's Bane: +1 to attack and damage vs. the choker.
    (1d20+5)[18]
    (1d8+4)[9]
    Last edited by Spore; 2020-03-26 at 05:25 PM.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

Marius hits the choker with the sword and feels the grip on his neck being released. The choker'd body falls on the untidy bed and bleeds on it, twitching once or twice before becoming still.

Laurelata checks, one by one, two next buildings, which looks to be of very similar construction and, as it turns out, the purpose. These two long, rectangular buildings are constructed entirely from planks on a wooden frame, with a pitched thatched roof. Each building has two doorframes on the side of the buildings opposite the palisade, but lacks doors. Four window frames open into either side of the long walls, a few of which have no cover and others only a canvas draped across the inside. A partial view of the interior is possible from the doorways. Inside, the floors are hard-packed earth, and along the walls are wooden bunk beds. Many of the pallet beds are covered with blankets that now gather dust. Those beds have sacks or tied bundles of clothes sitting at their feet. So far, Laurelata did not checks the barracks from the inside, but even from outside, she notices some activity under a bed of the north-western barrack.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Not wanting to go in on her own, Laurelata withdrew a bit and went back to Hewitt and Lightburn.
    "Those are barracks," she wispered, "I noticed some activity under one of the beds, but I think we better wait for the others, unless you want to go in."

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

Hewitt though about it for a moment. He could go but if it was a dangerous creature, he could end up putting himself on an undesirable position. On the other hand, he could send Lightburn since was better prepared to handle combat. The issue was that its apperance could end up scaring whatever was down there and if it wasnt an enemy, it could have negative consequences. They needed to save anyone who might have survived the goblin invasion. "I am not sure neither Lightburn nor myself are the best options to go check first. If this could be a potential survivor, I doubt he could react posivitely to seeing a ratfolk or my partner." He explains to Laurelata.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

25. - Top - End - #175
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Let's wait for the others then," Laurelata said, looking towards the location where the others had gone and trying to see them. If she spotted one or more of them, she tried to wave to make them come over.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Jessica is flooded with relief when the choker looses its grip on Marius and the ranger begins to recover his breath. "Oh, thank you, mistress!" she breathes in praise. As the trio begins to investigate the farmhouse, she frowns at the bed. "I hope whoever owns this won't be needing it soon. That will take a lot of work to clean." She shrugs away a scowl, putting the business behind her for the moment.

"Well, let's see what other clues we can find in here. This... thing's feet make sense for those tracks you mentioned, but where's the big flat thing it might have been rolling?" Taking her own cue, Jessica begins to search the farmhouse for signs of ownership or at least clues as to where they might have gone.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    (1d20+2)[4] perception, or taking 20 for 22, if time allows.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

There's a barrel of beer in the house (or, more like, half a barrel of beer now), which seems pretty roll-able. Otherwise, the interior of the house contains only simple wooden furniture and an assortment of common household and personal items. This state of this house is disarray, with chairs and tables flipped over, blankets torn to shreds, and produce such as corn and melons gnawed upon and then discarded to rot on the floor. Looking at it all over, Jessica is initially less than enthusiastic about digging through junk, junk, and formerly good items that are now junk. Being thorough about searching everything, she notices a loose floorboard that seems to bear marks of it being pulled from its place, destroying the grooves linking it to the adjacent floorboards in process, and then re-placed back. She tries to pull it out and then calls Marius to help, but the floorboard seems to be nailed back rather firmly.

Spoiler
    Show
    Jessica strength: (1d20+2)[7]
    Marius strength: (1d20+3)[9]

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Marius harrumphs a few times while massaging his neck, that is slowly turning a light shade of blue. Thanks, Jess. I thought it had me. He looks around the place in a brief overview, before turning to his allies. Nice shot, Taz. We should go back. I assume half the town is home to some weird creature by now.

Spoiler
    Show
    "Looting" aka looking around a second time: Perception (1d20+6)[23]

After he returns, Marius just casually mentions: We fought an abomination that almost strangled me. What have you guys been up to? even though under his surface he is a bit shaken.

Spoiler: Bluff to cover his insecurity
    Show
    (1d20-1)[13]

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I found the equipment shed and the food supply," Laurelata said, "although we can scratch that last one. It's crawling with cockroaches. Quite painfull roaches. We found some sort of poison to exterminate them, but I'm not sure how it works, so I've not done anything at the moment. They're in that one shed only and everything in there is probably ruined anyway. Oh yeah, I noticed some movement in one of the barracks."

She pointed at the building.
    "It was under one of the beds, so it might actually be a survivor, but after the roaches, I thought it best to check with you first. Maybe we can find someone who can actually shed some light on what happened here."

30. - Top - End - #180
    Troll in the Playground

"Also, we both have returned to assist in anything that might be necessary now that we have checked everything on that other house." Hewitt replies letting the rest of the team know of his presence. Lightburn remained quiet but waited to see if any of his teammates would request his assistance.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores: