New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Ruins of Azlant IC

Jessica listens patiently while the others fill them in on the details. "Survivor or otherwise, I think we should start with the barracks. If it's one of the villagers, we might get some useful knowledge, and if it's not, well it's better to not have any more of those Goblins or Chokey-things behind us, if we can help it."

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Taz nods at Marius's compliment of her shot, but she feels more shaken. That could have gone very poorly. They were ill-equipped to handle that challenge, and had the choker been a little more alert, they may all have died.

Back with the others, Taz adds to discussion with a hint of fear in her voice, "I support going to the barracks, but I really don't think we should split up anymore. This place is very dangerous. Had things gone a little differently back there... well... separated we are much weaker."

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Agreed. We postpone your roach problem and check for survivors first. Marius mentions. The idea of saving someone instead of more combat drives him. While he is no stranger to warfare in theory, his mettle is still untested, and today he almost drowned and was strangled. He was a good fighter, but clearly better off with his friends.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I think we best not all barge in," Laurelata said, "we might scare the survivors, if any, to death. If one or two go in and check it out, the others can wait just outside the door, ready to rush in if it shouldn't be a survivor."
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Jessica frowns quietly at Laurelata's suggestion, but sees the wisdom in it. "I'll lead the way," she declares firmly. She takes a moment to make sure her allies are ready to rush in, and grips her glaive with a stoic expression. Then she steps through the open "doorway."

"Hello there!" she calls, putting a little force into the words to make sure they carry throughout. "We've been sent by the Venture Company to support the first wave of colonists. If you are one of them, or willing to provide aid, we will see to it that your help is rewarded!"

Spoiler: Diplomacy?
    Show
    (1d20+7)[27] To improve someone's attitude/start things on the right foot? I figure it's probably an enemy, but Jessica is too hopeful (naive?) to make that assumption.

Edit: man, I hate wasting a 20. D:

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

There is some movement under the suspect bed as Jessica calls out, then is a pronounced lack of further noticeable movement, then strange movement under the bed next to Jessica. She has a moment to react.

Spoiler
    Show
    Something init: (1d20+1)[19]
    Jessica init: (1d20+2)[21] - here is a 19, not wasted

You probably could peek under the bed whether or not you are adjacent to it, by being crawling, prone, or similar. Or being Hewitt/Lightburn and bending your head down. I don't have a map for this one at the moment, assume Jessica is just through the doorway and the bed is to her left. Something under the bed will have cover if you are to attack it, unless you are prone, and possibly could AoO you if you move inside past Jessica.

=> Party

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

"Um. I don't think they're friendly, guys!" Jessica eyes the nearby bed warily. She takes a quick step back from it, glad to have her glaive handy.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Marius moves inside and covers Jessica's most vulnerable ... well, everything. Who let this gal in unarmored again? Marius wonders.

Come up, hands raised. Marius calls out in very broken Azlanti, something he took up the whole way there.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Jessica blushes furiously behind Marius. I didn't even think to try another language!

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ettin in the Playground

Something resembling an oversized insect head appears form under the bed and tries to bite Marius' leg. The ranger takes the leg away just in time.

Spoiler: Know (arcana) 10
    Show
    It's ankheg nymph, that is a very young ankheg just past the larva stage.
    Spoiler: Assuming you roll 15+
    Show
    Ankheg typically lays maybe a dozen of eggs.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thing under the bed bite: (1d20+4)[11] for (2d4+1)[4] and (1d4)[2] acid grab (1d20+6)[26]

=> Party (everyone, any order)

11. - Top - End - #191
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

'Just great, another six-legged critter,' Laurelata thought as she let go with an Arrow. She had again taken a spot at one of the windows so she could look inside and help, but without having to be there. And she could also keep an eye out for things on the outside.

Spoiler: OOC actions and rolls
    Show

I take a shot at the critter. Since I don't have knowledge(arcana) I don't know what it is, only that it tried to bite Marius.
    attack: (1d20+3)[7]
    damage: (1d6)[2]
    sneak attack (if applicable): (1d6)[5]

move action: look around for other stuff coming to see what's going on: (1d20+7)[15]

initiative: (1d20+9)[17]

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Just get in here and clobber it! Marius says at the arrow that again narrowly missed his head.

Spoiler
    Show
    move action for freebooter's bane (1d20+5)[9]
    (1d8+4)[8]

Freebooter's Bane [30 ft. around Marius]
    The freebooter and her allies gain a +1 bonus on weapon attack and damage rolls against the target. This ability applies only to allies who can see or hear the freebooter and who are within 30 feet of the freebooter at the time she activates this ability.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Seeing the creature darting back under the bed, Taz tries to even the odds. Grasping the plane of water, droplets quickly coalesce in the air. They arc and zip around the room, coating everything in a fine mist, and crashing into the making a soft noise akin to a waterfall. With her power focused, Taz ducks, shoots a jet of water past Marius and tries to flip the bed up, exposing the insect.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Move: Gather Power
    (Hmmm, for the attack I did +3 -4 = -1 to hit, but the bed is not engaged in melee with Marius, so perhaps I imposed the wrong modifier)
    Standard: Kinetic blast (pushing infusion): (1d20-1)[9] Damage: (1d6+6)[12] CMB to push: (1d20+4)[22]

Spoiler: Character Details
    Show
    Tazmara Stonesong
    F NG Dwarf Kineticist (Aquakineticist), Level 1, Init 2, HP 13/13, Speed 20
    AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-footed 13, CMD 13, Fort 6, Ref 5, Will 1, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 0
    PBS Water Blast +3 (1d6+6, x2)
    Heavy Pick +1 (1d6+1, x4)
    Studded Leather (+3 Armor, +2 Dex)
    Burn 0/7

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

"An ankheg nymph?! Be careful, everyone! There might be more of those things around." He warns the rest based on what he remembers of the creature before making a small rant about the situation. "Is there anything on this damned village that isnt completely disgusting? Lightburn, take it down, the hard way." Lightburn

Spoiler
    Show

Bite: (1d20+3)[17] Damage: (1d6+2)[6]

Lightburn Outsider Eidolon 1 NG HP: 11 / 11 Speed: ft Init 2 AC 12 Fort 3 Ref 4 Will 2 CMB +3 BAB 1 Bite 3 (1d6+2, x2) Str 14 (2) Dex 14 (2) Con 13 (1) Wis 10 (0) Int 7 (-2) Cha 11 (0)
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Jessica almost jumps when the insect attacks Marius. If she hadn't been expecting something (but definitely not that!), she might have dropper her glaive entirely. With Marius' encouragement, she tires to do just that.

Spoiler: Jessica, round 1
    Show
    Jessica Cooper
    F NG Aasimar (Angel-blooded) Cleric, Level 1, Init 2, HP 9/9, DR Acid, Cold, Elec resist 5, Speed
    AC 11, Touch 11, Flat-footed 10, CMD 13, Fort 3, Ref 1, Will 4, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 0
    Glaive +2 (1d8+3, x3)
    Dagger +2/+1 (1d4+1, 19-20,x2)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 16
    Condition +2 CL for divination spells
    Augery 2/2 (weekly)
    Inner beauty: 1/1
    Alter self: 1/1
    Channel energy: 6/8, 1d6
    Touch of good: 4/5
    Bit of Luck: 5/5
    Bless: 1/1

5-foot step to the side, and attack with the glaive!
    (1d20+3)[9] attack
    (1d20+3)[12] CC (23, x3)
    (1d8+4)[5] dmg
    (2d8+8)[20] crit bonus

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ettin in the Playground

After Laurelata and Marius try unsuccessfully to attack the creature covered by the bed, Tazmara decides to do away with it. She gathers some watery power and blasts the bed with a torrent of water. The bed is broken and blown away, revealing the dog-sized insect-like creature and a fresh hole in the ground of what seems to be a corresponding size. Lightburn goes past Marius and inside the barrack. As he does, he's bitten by the acid-dripping jaws of the ankheg nymph for 8 total damage and also grabbed. He fights back, landing a solid bite for 6 damage, but is then gnawed upon for 9 more damage and, with a *puff* disappears from this plane. Jessica tries to intervene with her glaive before that happens, but is unsuccessful.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ankheg nymph bite AoO: (1d20+4)[13] for (2d4+1)[4] and (1d4)[4] acid grab (1d20+6)[19]
    Ankheg nymph bite: (1d20+4)[15] for (2d4+1)[8] and (1d4)[1] acid grab (1d20+6)[24]

In the current arrangement, Marius is just past the entrance and the ankheg nymph is direcly to the left of him. Marius provides soft cover for the ankheg nymph from Jessica's attacks. Moving inside the barrack provokes AoOs as the ankheg nymph is inside next to the entrance.

=> Party (everyone, any order)

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Not an opportune moment to end the summon, Hewitt. Marius says.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+5)[23]
    (1d8+4)[12]

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

"Bah!" Jessica complains, as her training with the polearm proves insufficient. With a quiet breath, she refocuses her efforts, while slowly stepping further into the barracks. "Give them room to get in, Marius!"

Spoiler: Jessica, round 2
    Show
    Jessica Cooper
    F NG Aasimar (Angel-blooded) Cleric, Level 1, Init 2, HP 9/9, DR Acid, Cold, Elec resist 5, Speed
    AC 11, Touch 11, Flat-footed 10, CMD 13, Fort 3, Ref 1, Will 4, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 0
    Glaive +2 (1d8+3, x3)
    Dagger +2/+1 (1d4+1, 19-20,x2)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 16
    Condition +2 CL for divination spells
    Augery 2/2 (weekly)
    Inner beauty: 1/1
    Alter self: 1/1
    Channel energy: 6/8, 1d6
    Touch of good: 4/5
    Bit of Luck: 5/5
    Bless: 1/1

Attack again, then 5-foot step further into the room. I'd like to move around the creature so I can still attack next turn, but vacate a space for Marius or someone else to move further into the room without provoking AoO(s).
    (1d20+3)[14] attack
    (1d20+3)[13] CC (23, x3)
    (1d8+4)[12] dmg
    (2d8+8)[19] crit bonus

19. - Top - End - #199
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"As you wish," Laurelata said. She decided to take the short way, first dropping her bow and then diving into the room trough the window. Unfortunately she hit the side and stumbled. She had to take the time to get back up and moved closer.

Spoiler: OOC rolls and actions
    Show

free action: drop bow
    acrobatics to get through the window: (1d20+6)[10]
    rest of movement action to get into combat.

attack (with flanking and Freebooter's Bane bonus): (1d20+6)[12]
    damage: (1d6)[1]
    sneak attack: (1d6)[4]

EDIT: since the rolls weren't all that good, it's move action: getting through the window
    instead of attack: another move action to get into combat, so at least Marius has the flanking bonus (and drawing my weapon).
    Last edited by farothel; 2020-03-31 at 08:44 AM.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Seeing Lightburn vanish in a puff, Taz's jaw drops. When Marius calls her forward, Taz replies, "uh, I think I'm more effective back here." She lines up a shot and threads the torrent past her allies and right into the ankheg's eye.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Standard: Kinetic blast: (1d20-1)[19] Damage: (1d6+6)[7] Crit: 7+11=18 damage if 19 hits.

@u-b: Not sure if freebooter's bane applies to kinetic blasts - a ruling from DM would nice (fb mods not included in attack above):
    Quote Originally Posted by Freebooter’s Bane
    The freebooter and her allies gain a +1 bonus on weapon attack and damage rolls against the target. This ability applies only to allies who can see or hear the freebooter and who are within 30 feet of the freebooter at the time she activates this ability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinetic blast
    Kinetic blasts count as a type of weapon for the purpose of feats such as Weapon Focus.

Spoiler: Character Details
    Show
    Tazmara Stonesong
    F NG Dwarf Kineticist (Aquakineticist), Level 1, Init 2, HP 13/13, Speed 20
    AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-footed 13, CMD 13, Fort 6, Ref 5, Will 1, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 0
    PBS Water Blast +3 (1d6+6, x2)
    Heavy Pick +1 (1d6+1, x4)
    Studded Leather (+3 Armor, +2 Dex)
    Burn 0/7

21. - Top - End - #201
    Troll in the Playground

"I didnt you jack!" Hewitt complains on the assumption that he was behind Lightburn´s disappearance. "He took too much damage. He wont be back until tomorrow." Hewitt was almost out of resources. He had one single casting before he was out of spells and he had just lost Lightburn. He would have to rely on the last trick at his disposal. He gathers his magical powerful to make a viper appear at his side. "Go! Attack that thing!" He points at the nymph.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Hewitt uses a standard action to use his summon monster spell like ability to summon a celestial viper.

On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

Marius swings the sword at the ankheg nymph and neatly cuts its head off the very moment that Tazmara's water blast splatters its innards all over the approaching Laurelata. The ankheg nymph is very much dead and very much all over the place. There seems to be no other movement.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Hey, watch out where you point that thing," Laurelata said while she tried to get the ankheg bits off her clothes, "I really don't need bits of whatever this was on me."

Then she started looking under the other beds, just to make sure there weren't any surprises. She kept her rapier at the ready.

Spoiler: OOC rolls
    Show

I'm not sure if I need one, but in case I do, here's a perception roll: (1d20+7)[24]

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ettin in the Playground

Laurelata checks under the other beds. There is a crumbling hole in the ground where she first noticed the movement and there are some assorted bags and other containers that presumably belong to first wave's colonists, but there is clearly nothing animate anywhere in the barrack.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

Hold it, Hewitt. We are about done here. the young eagle knight says as the summoner starts his spell. Well, colonizing an island was going to get dirty one way or another. Marius adds in a sarcastic way. He looks for a clean cloth for the elf. I expected myself to be the first one to get dirty, not the nimble elf. Marius smiles while handing her a rag.

Spoiler
    Show
    While looking for a rag for Laurelata, Marius checks the belongings for anything giving them a clue to where the colonists went, or anything worthwhile.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

Looking around through the barracks for both clues and items of value, Marius finds almost none of the former. The only thing remotely passing for a clue is that the colonists' disappearance did not involve packing their things and taking them along. Of those things that are left, Marius finds:
    - over two dozen sets of spare clothing (plus some spare boots, shoes, etc.)
    - the like amount of linen bedclothes and hay mattresses
    - a total of 119.1 gp in gold and (mostly) silver coinage
    - a well-made rabbit's foot talisman
    - what seems to be a wand

Spoiler
    Show
    Marius perception for barrack 1: (1d20+6)[20]
    Marius perception for barrack 2: (1d20+6)[26]

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Thanks," Laurelata said, trying to get rid of as much of the goo as she could.
    "I think I found the entry hole," she said to the others, moving the bed out of the way, "at least, this is where I saw the movement the first time. If there's a big rock somewhere, we can close it up again in case its little brothers and sisters want to join."

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Jessica helps Laurelata to clean any offending grime, especially from her back or the backs of her arms where it's hard to see. Then, turning her attention to the hole, she gasps. "Goodness! That's... a problem... and at least the third, or fourth- if you count the vermin infesting the food stores- different kind of thing the colonists had to fight with, just to keep their beds! We should definitely try to block that hole, even if just to make them work harder to get in...." she agrees with her Elven companion. With a nervous shrug, the young priestess imagines the consequences of one of these appearing during the middle of the night and shudders. She would never have a chance. Probably neither would most of the other colonists....

"Just more questions," she mutters, looking over her companions' various findings. "I guess we keep looking in the other buildings? There's got to be something to help us figure out what happened!"

29. - Top - End - #209
    Troll in the Playground

Hewitt is still mad at what happened to Lightburn. "So, where should we head next to?" He replies trying his best to stay as level headed. "Hopefully, we can find outabout what happened here if we find any survivors."
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Happy to have contributed substantially to this battle, Tazmara grins wolf-like at Lauraleta, "I won't apologize that my bug squashing went too well! You may protest, but I'll just try to do the same thing again next time."

When Marius unearths the items, Taz asks no one in particular, while pointing to the wand and rabbit foot specifically, "do you think these could be magic?" She then, grasping her pick at the ready, peers into the hole to see if there is anything down there.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+5)[15]