New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Ruins of Azlant IC

"No problem," Laurelata said, "it was just a reaction on being splattered with goo."
    She looked at the items.
    "Let me have a look," she said, "I know a few minor magics and one of them is seeing if something is magical. I can't do it often, but that way the others can keep their spellcasting power for more important things."
    She concentrated as she had been taught to do and checked if anything was magical.

Spoiler: OOC actions
    Show

I can use 'detect magic' once per day, so I'm doing that now, checking the items, mostly concentrating on the wand and the talisman, but making sure there's nothing else either.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ettin in the Playground

The hole in the ground does not appear to have an usable tunnel behind it, so maybe it's more of a single-use point where the burrowing creature emerged from the ground.

Laurelata checks for magic and indeed, both the rabbit's foot and the wand detect as magical. The first is clearly a lesser talisman of good fortune, the second Laurelata fails to identify. In other news, the sleeve of Laurelata's new chain shirt that comes onto the detection cone also turns out to be magical. The spell ends before Laurelata could identify it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Laurelata spellcraft: (1d20+4)[23] vs rabbit's foot
    Laurelata spellcraft: (1d20+4)[12] vs wand

You said you mostly do the above two, so I went with full spellcraft checks once they detected as magical and that leaves not enough time to look everywhere around.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Laurelata pointed to the two talisman and the wand.
    "Those two are indeed magical," she said, "That one I've seen before, it's a talisman of good fortune, but I'm not sure what the wand is for. And apparently this chainmail is also magical. So be careful, there might be other magical stuff out here that we don't know about. Anything down the hole?"
    The last was directed to Tazmara who had been looking into it.

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe let Hewitt check them again. He is kinda an expert on these things. Marius says. I feel we should give the talisman to Jessica for now. She is blessed by Lady Luck, so she should always be able to confer this to us.
    Last edited by Spore; 2020-04-02 at 08:23 AM.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

When Hewitt asks for their next move, Jessica shrugs noncommittally. "We probably aught to just keep going around the buildings like this. The Eternal Maiden isn't really pushing me anywhere in particular, and it makes sense to leave the buildings we know are empty behind us. No sense making it easy to be ambushed."

The young priestess misses Taz' first question about magical properties, but is stirred from her own search by Laurelata's declaration of the items' magical qualities. She looks up, quietly assessing the situation as her companions discuss the best use. "Shelyn has blessed me with the ability to detect magical auras of all sorts, though I have to say I've never much studied them," she admits, with a faintly embarrassed blush. "With a little practice, I could probably help at least determine the school of magic, but I suppose that will have to wait for later."

Then Marius suggests she use the talisman, and she's turns to him in surprise. The pink flush darkens, rising attractively on her cheeks. "Oh? I- yes, I suppose I'd be happy to wear it. Seems like a helpful little talisman, though it doesn't really go with my blouse..." She looks down at her shirt with a frown, and her eyes widen as she realizes how nonsensical the objection is. The blush begins darkening rapidly, and stammers out "uh- 'm- sorry," she apologizes to no one in particular, "that's silly of me. Thank you, Marius." Looking decidedly like she doesn't trust herself to say anything more, she loops the simple cord over her head.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Marius smiles at Jessica. She really is not used to being put into the spotlight like that, isn't she. A bit embarassed by the emotional thanking, the young lad responds: I did not award you a medal just now. And thank the others as well, Jess. Without Laurelata's scouting, without Hewitt's magic or Tazmara's mysticism, we would not have persevered. And our work for today is not done in the slightest. We have to check the entire village, then signal the ship to set up a base camp.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    Maybe let Hewitt check them again. He is kinda an expert on these things. Marius says. I feel we should give the talisman to Jessica for now. She is blessed by Lady Luck, so she should always be able to confer this to us.
    "I can help pretty easily with that. I have studied the arcane arts and can detect magic auras at will." Hewitt replies. At the very least, he still could offer a few services t his disposal if there were any more enemies left. Hewitt remembers about the stuff found at the first house they visited. He probably should check out if there were magic auras after the whole situation calmed down. Afterall, if there were any other magic involed in the cretions of such items, it could raise their value.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

When Lauraleta asks about the hole, Taz ceases her study. "No, it looks like it mostly collapsed behind the critter. Probably worth covering it up, but if any more of these ankhegs come, I don't know what good it would do."

After Marius's accreditations for the group, Taz slaps him on the shoulder collegially, "and lets not forget your blade. And your fortitude," Taz adds the latter, but decides ot bring more attention to his ability to get choked and not die.

"I can probably squash the roaches if we want to head that way next. Just as long as we stick together, we can head wherever."

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I've found some vials which I think are poison and some which I think have something flammable in it," Laurelata said, "and a protection suit against hordes of creepy-crawlies. But I have no idea on how to use that poison, or even which one it is, so I haven't used it. Not to mention that putting the food shed on fire might attract attention we can do without for now."

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think anyone was expecting food in the storage after what we discovered about the island. She should check the remaining buildings before checking the plantations and then follow the footsteps. What do you say?

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

Jessica's flushing only continues when Marius points out that their companions are equally as deserving. She manages to compose herself enough to stammer out "You're right. Well done, and thanks everyone."

As the talk moves on back to the probably ruined food stores and the rest of the colony, she mostly listens to them all for a moment. "I agree. Let's start with the next one over, then," she declares, pointing to the doorway by which they didn't enter. She begins to head that direction before reconsidering her own lack of protection.

For just a moment, a hint of a blush graces her cheeks once more. "Maybe you'd better go first, Marius?"

12. - Top - End - #222
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I'll join in da sneaky," Laurelata said, moving outside and as soon as Marius joined, she started to move towards the next building, trying to stay silent and to keep an eye out for any strange things. And with everything they had already seen in the village, she was sure they hadn't seen the strangest thing yet.
    Arriving there she located a window and sneaked a peak inside.

Spoiler: OOC rolls
    Show

stealth: (1d20+6)[16]
    perception: (1d20+7)[17]

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

Marius slouches over, putting his shield away to help catch himself should he stumble on the uneven ground. He leads the silent investigations.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth (1d20+4)[24]
    Perception(1d20+6)[15]

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ettin in the Playground

After you are done searching both of the barracks you move on to the next building clockwise.

This wooden-framed, mud brick structure is currently the colony’s only two-story building, as well as one of the largest structures. It has the appearance of a rural courthouse or cityhall rather than that of a residence. The front features a small porch supported by rough log pillars, with double wooden doors facing west. Numerous window frames with shutters, some of them open, wrap around the building on both floors. The roof is not thatched, but has wooden shakes instead. The construction suggests this building was intended to be a source of community pride, but it still has a rough, unfinished appearance due to lack of paint and coarse materials. A few small shrubs have been planted around it.

Laurelata comes to one of first-story windows and takes a sneak peek inside. She sees a large chamber that occupies most of the main floor, excluding something that seems to be a foyer near the entrance. This room is open to the second floor, and two flights of stairs lead to a gallery that overlooks this space, supported by columns on the main level. At the rear of the chamber against the east wall is a raised desk, like a podium. Tables and chairs are arrayed in front of it like a courtroom. The gallery above has simple wooden chairs so that citizens can observe whatever business is conducted here. Doors at the north and south ends of the main floor lead to what appears to be separate offices.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Tazmara says, "a swarm suit? That would help! Back in the mines, they'd ask me to blast out the crickets when they got too dense. They didn't bite, but it was a hell of a lot faster than taking them down with a hammer. Yeah, with that, I could probably make short work of them. We can do that later though."

When the group moves on Taz follows at a distance, ready to move in at a moment's notice.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Stealth (keeping back considerably): (1d20+1)[16]

Sorry, the forum kept me from posting this yesterday.

Kinetic blasts affect swarms with full damage, so I think Taz could take out the roaches.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Central part looks clear," she wispers to Marius, "but there's doors to other rooms. We best go and have a look inside. Also from the second story we can have a look across the colony."

17. - Top - End - #227
    Troll in the Playground

Hewitt follows the group in silenece. He didnt want to ruin the stealth so he keep his distance while keeping close enough not to lose sight of any of them.
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

Jessica also follows carefully, several paces behind her companions for fear of giving them away. She watches Marius and Laurelata warily, trusting them but worried for their collective safety.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    The lower and upper floors are shown below. Black on the upper floor map signifies lack of floor. The entrance is in the center of the western side, the rest are windows. Position yourselves on or off the map and then describe how you proceed about examining the building.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

Marius goes to check the upper floors. He grabs his shield, expecting a few new squatters in the upper areas.

Spoiler
    Show
    Going up the northern stairwell, checking the rooms from north to south on the upper floor.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Laurelata will go around the building first, checking all the 'offices' on the ground floor through the windows before entering the building.

Spoiler: OOC actions
    Show

I will check the top office (I26 to M27) first and then go counter clockwise to all three others.

perception office 1: (1d20+7)[25]
    perception office 2: (1d20+7)[8]
    perception office 3: (1d20+7)[12]
    perception office 4: (1d20+7)[8]

stealth to move around: (1d20+6)[7]

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ettin in the Playground

When Marius ascends more than half of the way, he notices a strange tiny construct sitting on the railing above the main hall sprout a two-bladed rotor and fly clumsily to the opposite wall, where it lands itself next to an open second story window. Laurelata hears some strange WHHRRRRR from what seems to be inside of the building, but does not see the source from where she is standing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Something stealth: (1d20+11)[12] (@farothel oh, you are not alone; this is against your first percepton check)

=> Marius and maybe Laurelata (may be also others, if they are notified)

23. - Top - End - #233
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"What the…," Laurelata said as she heard some strange noise, "There's something inside making a strange noise. Let's go have a look."
    Abandoning her plan to look at each office, she moved inside to see what was going on.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

Marius slowly drops shield and sword, and aims his longbow at the thing.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+3)[6]
    (1d8)[8]

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Taz hears Lauraleta's confusion, says to Jessica and Hewitt, "we should check this out - Marius could be in trouble," and heads into the building.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

Hewitt follows from behind. He wonders what else could be lurking behind those walls. The enemies seem to be pretty different. It makes Hewitt rethink his original idea of an organized group being necessarily behind the attack. Could it be just a coincidence?
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

Jessica nods curtly. She follows in with quick steps, as Taz leads the way. Her eyes flick back and forth, probably more out of temerity than any honed skill of observation. Still, if there's an obvious threat, she doesn't want to be taken totally by surprise.

As she approaches the stairs, she hears the same sound Laurelata first warned them of. Her delicate eyebrows furrow, as the sound is utterly unfamiliar and confusing, especially without sight of its source.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ettin in the Playground

By the time most of the party reached the stairs, the WHHRRRRR sound has stopped. You see Marius upstairs shooting an arrow somewhere east. The arrow hits the wall and you see not far from the point of impact a tiny construct sitting on the wall. It spins its little propeller, emitting the WHHRRRRR sound, and, clumsily, flies out of the window and then north.

Spoiler
    Show
    The party is mostly in S31T32 region downstairs. Initially, you can see the construct from there, and it can see you. Now the construct is out of sight of everyone except Marius somewhere AA23, at second floor height. Marius can see it through a window opening to Y25.

=> Party (everyone, any order OR you can just let it go)

29. - Top - End - #239
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Laurelata wasn't sure what that thing was supposed to do, but spying was one thing that came to mind. She ran towards a north facing window and when she arrived there, she fired an Arrow at the little thing.

Spoiler: OOC rolls
    Show

move action: move towards a window at the north side, or outside if that's north.
    attack: (1d20+3)[17]
    damage: (1d6)[4]

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

It is a spy! Marius shouts while loosing another arrow.

Spoiler
    Show
    activating freebooter's bane on the people around him.

(1d20+4)[5]
    (1d8+1)[9]