New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Ruins of Azlant IC

Hewitt isactually a bit infatuated with the robotic creature when he lays eyes on it. "This might be the effect of seeing so many disgusting looking creatures all day but I think this one is kind of cute. I suppose there is no other way. " Hewitt sighs as he starts focusing his energy as he summons a celestial eagle. "Attack the mechanical eye sphere thing." he makes the command.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Hewitt uses his summon monster spell like ability to summon an eagle.

HP:5 AC:14
    Speed 10ft., fly 80 ft. (average)
    Fort +3 , Ref +4, Will +2; SR 5
    Celestial – Resist acid, cold, and electricity 5
    Str 10 [14], Dex 15, Con 12 [16], Int 2, Wis 15, Cha 7

Talon attack: (1d20+3)[6] Damage: (1d4)[2]
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

"What's a spy!?" calls, unable to get a line of sight to the source of the noise. Figuring that the person it out is their best shot at taking it down, she catches up with Marius and lays another simple blessing on him.

Spoiler: Jessica, round 2
    Show
    Jessica Cooper
    F NG Aasimar (Angel-blooded) Cleric, Level 1, Init 2, HP 9/9, DR Acid, Cold, Elec resist 5, Speed
    AC 11, Touch 11, Flat-footed 10, CMD 13, Fort 3, Ref 1, Will 4, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 0
    Glaive +2 (1d8+3, x3)
    Dagger +2/+1 (1d4+1, 19-20,x2)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 16
    Condition +2 CL for divination spells
    Augery 2/2 (weekly)
    Inner beauty: 1/1
    Alter self: 1/1
    Channel energy: 6/8, 1d6
    Touch of good: 4/5
    Bit of Luck: 3/5
    Bless: 1/1

Move up to Marius
    apply bit of luck.
    He gets another d20: (1d20)[7]

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Unclear what spy Marius is referring to, Taz searches around for a target.

Spoiler
    Show
    Huh, notifications seemed to have stopped for me.

I don't think Taz has line of sight or is in range to hit it, but she will ready a kinetic blast attack if it comes into range.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ettin in the Playground

Laurelata considered getting further inside the building and to a window on the northen side, but the way seemed not exactly straight and involved a door, so she just made a step back and went straight north along the building's western wall. She saw the tiny flying thing and shot it. The impact of the arrow shook the thing mightily for 4 damage, but it seemed able to recover the correct orientation. Marius shoots too, but just hits a window frame from the inside of the building. Jessica hurried to the second floor to bestow a bit of luck on his next attack. Hewitt summons an eagle, but seems unable to to communicate to it what exactly it should be attacking. Tazmara, lacking any long-range abilities, just watched the occurring commotion.

The thing moved away quite fast, putting about 130 feet of range between it and the shooters by the moment a second pair of arrows fly. Both arrows fly past, more or less close, but not quite hitting it. Then Hewitt repeated his command again and finally the eagle got what is the thing that should be attacked. The eagle caught up with the thing very quickly and damaged its rotor for 1 damage, which seemed like enough. The thing fell to the ground some 130 feet north of the two-story house, chased down by the eagle, and then you hear and see an explosion on the ground when they next come in contact.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hewitt handle animal: (1d20+3)[6] (this won't be required for most "normal" enemies)

And the next round:
    Laurelata: (1d20-1)[5] for (1d6)[1]
    Marius: (1d20+1)[11] (OR 7+1) for (1d6)[3]
    Hewitt handle animal: (1d20+3)[21]
    Eage charge talon: (1d20+5)[19] for (1d4)[1]

And the last round:
    Explosion: (1d6)[3] damage to the eagle (the thing self-destructs)

The self-destruction happens near north edge of the map directly north of the house A10.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I guess figuring out what that was is out of the question now," Laurelata said when she saw the explosion, "What the frack is going on here with all these strange critters and now this."
    She looked back to the large building.
    "Well, whoever sent that thing is probably warned now," she continued, "let's have a look in the big building to see if there is some documentation about what's going on. If there is any, it will probably be there."

She headed into the big building and started to investigate all rooms inside.
    Last edited by farothel; 2020-04-08 at 12:08 PM.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

Jessica mostly watches while the Eagle harries the flying... thing. When it drops, she lets out a short cheer- which is in turn suddenly silenced by the explosion. Wide-eyed, she turns back to her allies in utter shock. "Uhhh..."

She nods dumbly, agreeing with Laurelata, even has her mouth refuses to cooperate.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Troll in the Playground

Hewitt looks a bit disappointed. "I feel this is a bit of waste. Whatever, the case is with that thing. But I suppose its for the best. We didnt really know anything about the thing and the same applies to about whoever he served to." Hewitt decides its best to finish searching the place for any threats left. He follows after Laurelata into the big building.
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

After finally understanding what her comrades were concerned about, Taz watches events unfold in abject confusion. Finally finding some point where they both agree, Taz more or less mirrors Jessica's wide-eyed response to the explosion, "Uhhh..."

After Hewitt's comments, the dwarf finally regains her wits, "WHAT IN THE NINE HELLS WAS THAT?!? Served? Warned? What are you both talking about? It exploded! What even does that?! How? How is a thing like that even here??? What is even going on?" She takes a deep breath, pauses for about ten seconds, then continues as if her manic outburst never occurred, "yes, we should search the house." She walks into a room and begins digging around.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

It was some kind of machine. I would have expected anything but that with the other monsters we encountered so far. A giant insect, some zombie, anything but a flying construct. Marius checks the exploded remains.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

"Right?!" Jessica murmurs, offering simple but bland agreement with both Marius and Taz. "I can't help but wonder, though... I'm... Uh, I've done a little bit of research into ancient Azlanti, though there obviously isn't a lot of great information out there. But I never would have expected something uhhh mechanized? I think that's the right word..." She lapses into a thoughtful silence, for a brief moment.

"I wonder if that's something the first wave of colonists brought, or if it's something they found. I wish we could ask Miss Ramona. She certainly knows more about the first wave." The young priestess makes off to follow Taz and help with the exploration. After a few steps she stops short with a sickened expression... "or found them."

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ettin in the Playground

While everyone else search the building, Marius goes north to the spot where the tiny flying construct has exploded. The spot itself is clearly marked by a circle of scorched grass. There are some trees and tree stumps to the right of it, but what is much more interesting, there is a whole bunch of what seems like giant mole holes to the left of it. The holes seem eerily familiar now, after what you have seen in the barracks. Some are larger than others.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by farothel View Post
    okay, I'll do that (and I guess some others will be joining as I doubt we'll be splitting the party again).
    Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    Marius checks the exploded remains.

I'll have Spore confirm he really wants to proceed, alone, with his investigation.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Troll in the Playground

"There is something I have been wondering. How should we let the captain know of our success when we finish the rest of the unwanted fauna?" Hewitt decides to ask his teammates while searching the building with the rest of the team. Seeing a chance to breath and speak calmly, he dedcides to make a request."Also, Miss Jessica. May I ask for your services by tomorrow? Lightburn will probably need healing after he returns to my side."
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

When Hewitt addresses her directly, Jessica interrupts the searching to offer her full attention. "Oh? That's... I guess it's not odd, since you're expecting it, but I didn't think that happened. I thought when a creature was summoned, it kinda..." she gestures with both hands in a less-than-organized way, "made a body here. Admittedly, planar travel was not my best subject..." She shrugs and smiles, the expression like a quick breath of sunlight on a cloudy day.

"Sure! I'd love to help."

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

After seeing the "mole" hills from up far, Marius decides to retreat for now. Uh friends? There are more nymph digging holes up north where the scout thing crashed. Want to investigate?

To the question of the communication: How about we row back out to the ship? Make a signal fire? Maybe one of you has magic that can help. It's not like Hewitt hasn't just summoned a giant glowing hawk.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Laurelata looked up from where she was searching.
    "We can just grab a sheet from one of the beds and wave that around," she said, "they should be able to spot that. And we still have the boat ro row back."

She looked at Marius.
    "Let's finish searching here in the village before we go searching for trouble somewhere else, no?"
    Then she turned back to her search.

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ettin in the Playground

You methodically search both floors and all rooms of the government house, thinking it might be your best bet to understand what has happened here.

This main chamber is clearly intended for community meetings and future government and legal proceedings. It contains almost nothing but furniture. The building has not been used recently, as evidenced by a light layer of dust throughout. The makeshift offices have simple wooden tables, chairs, and writing equipment including stationery, ink, and quills. The northern office also has a locked wooden coffer that Laurelata is able to unlock. Inside are multiple journals and logbooks. The logbooks record various types of events, such as the sea journey to Ancorato, daily work details for construction and farming, a master tool inventory, records of the daily weather, and so on. This information is mostly pedestrian in nature, but might serve as the basis of a future almanac. All of the books date back to approximately 1 month ago, whereupon the entries become sporadic and stop altogether a week later.

You spend some time reading through the books and find two things of particular interest. One thing is that in the master tool inventory a "pest control kit" is mentioned to contain one swarmsuit, one vial of insecticide, one vial of blackfingers’s salt and two flasks of alchemist's fire. Laurelata recognizes the name of blackfingers’s salt - a poison famous for being added to food, e.g. by assassins, thanks to it being both odorless and tasteless. A farmer probably would know about the insecticide. What is even more interesting, one logbook that details daily events in the colony since landfall is missing four pages after the last entry, as evidenced by a razor-sharp incision along the binding where the pages were carefully cut out. The missing pages seem nowhere to be found.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Upon discovering the logbook, Taz begin to search for some indication of how long ago the colonists disappeared and any clues why. While she does so, she speaks distractedly to those in earshot - mostly voicing her internal monologue as she tries to gather more information, "this is our first major clue... I mean aside from everyone missing and the monsters. Why were the last four pages torn... no, make that cut out? Whatever is on those pages likely holds some clues to the disappearance. If it was some one sinister that acted, then why cut them out, why not just take the whole logbook? This makes me think one of the colonists cut out the pages, but I haven't a guess why..."

Show
    Checking for vanishing date (if not dated, she will painstaking count the entries from start to finish), checking the recent pages for any useful information.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

Hear me out before I go full conspiracy theorist here but this seems that whoever did that wants us to know that the people vanished, and wants us to follow up. The tracks north of town are kind of obvious as well, pointing land inwards. Plus, why would a 'pest control kit' contain blackfinger's salt? And why would it be written down in an inventory? There is either someone betraying the settlers, or someone trying to frame someone else as the betrayer. Maybe both.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Well, hopefully we find them somewhere in another cottage," Laurelata said, "at least now we have a timeframe. But I'm also worried about this blackfingers’s salt. I've heard about it. It's an assassin's prime choice poison as it's both odorless and tasteless. It's not a bad idea putting it with the insecticide, but why would a colony like this need it. May I?"

She took the book where the pages were torn out and had a closer look at it, trying to see if she could find any clues as to who had taken the pages.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Troll in the Playground

"This bursts the bubble of my theory of there being any survivors. No way, anyone make it out if everything has been this metodically done." Hewitt replies concerned about the situation. "I suppose I should also check for magic in the area jsut to be through with our search."

Show
    Casting detect magic.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

Jessica wonders silently while her companions speak their concerns. "But you said you found two bottles marked with skulls? It's not that the kit did contain the salt. It still does!" She shrugs, not quite following the relevance, herself. "I don't really think the salt is an issue here, though it might be useful, I suppose. I want to know who took out the last four pages of entries, and why."

She purses her lips, thoughtfully. After several moments, it seems she's unlikely to come up with an explanation that she likes enough to voice.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

Comparing the dates in the logbooks, Tazmara concludes that the missing four pages represent one week worth of entries and should cover the period of 4..3 weeks ago, after which there is no more entries in any of the books. Checking for magic reveals that only one item in government house is magical - namely, the tampered-with logbook. It shines faint universal and, upon closer inspection, contains two arcane marks on the inside of its back cover. They are normal words and spell "PLUM" and "TREE".

Spoiler: Know (local) 10
    Show
    You know that both in Andoran and in most of the world most poisons and many other deadly things are perfectly legal. It's what you do with these things that matters.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hewitt know (arcana): (1d20+5)[16]

I don't think we really need absolute dates, do we? Relative ones should work just fine.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

"Three weeks... everyone vanished about three weeks ago," she says nothing more on the matter, but internally gives up hope of rescuing any of the lost "You could be right, Marius, but I'm not sure one way or another. If it is such an effective poison, maybe there are valuable uses against some manner of beasts as well. Maybe Ramona could tell us more."

Shifting away from the speculative, the young dwarf says pragmatically, "this has been invaluably informative, but our main task is really to make the settlement safe for the others. We should continue looking for more clues on the way of course, maybe we'll get a more complete picture of what happened then. If you want, I can use that swarm suit and go kill the roaches. Or, we could check the next building."

24. - Top - End - #264
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Well, if we want to make the colony safe," Laurelata said, "we might want to know what happened so we can defend against it. Or if all else fails, go someplace else."

25. - Top - End - #265
    Troll in the Playground

"Well, at the very least, we can keep the guard up knowing that some really messed up stuff just happened." Hewitt replies trying to be positive about the situation while trying to avoid sounding insensitive. "We can work on improving the defenses of the place too." Hewitt is unsure about what else to say.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

"I think 'safe' is kind of uhhh... nonspecific, right now," Jessica adds, looking concerned. "Let's go through the rest of the buildings here and make sure there's not any more of those bug things waiting to eat a kid and then report back to Ramona. We've already learned a lot, and it might even be worth bringing the rest of the colonists ashore. That's her call, either way." She shrugs with a noncommittal expression.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

While I agree that it could be safe with our continued efforts, I feel as long as we haven't found the nymphs and removed the roach swarm, this settlement is not safe for non combatants. And if these ankheg nymphs are a brood, then their parents might not be too far off, though they could be. Insects are different from mammals that way. Poison seems useful but if you don't know what you're using, you can very well poison yourself with it.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I would focus on everything but the roaches for now," Laurelata said, "I'm sure there are farmers on the ships who know much better than any of us how to use that poison to kill the roaches. As soon as we've cleared out the rest, we can go back to the ship and ask. Now, let's go to the next building, shall we?"

She moved back outside and first she had a look at the well, just in case there was something in there. She approached cautiously, weapon ready, and looked in to see if there was something lurking there.

Spoiler: OOC actions
    Show

Look into well A12, just to make sure there's nothing in there. And also to check if the water is still safe for consumption (as far as you can see that of course).
    Perception: (1d20+7)[10]

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ettin in the Playground

The well does not seem to contain any surprises. The water is clean and potable, and the rope and bucket are still intact. Just southwest of the well is a wooden scaffold with a set of steps. It looks suitable for use as a platform to address a large crowd, though it would take minimal effort to convert it into a gallows. North of the scaffold is the remnant of a well-used community fire pit surrounded by stones, large enough for a reasonably sized bonfire. Most of the ashes in the central fire pit have been rained on repeatedly and are now mixed in with the soil. It is clear that no fire has been lit here for weeks.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Tazmara sniffs the water from the well, "honestly, I had expected the well to be poisoned. Some good news at last. Although we should keep a close eye on that blackfinger's salt once everyone is on shore." She roots around in the fire pit in case any clues were missed at a cursory glance.

Show
    Perception: (1d20+5)[21]