Laurelata Elf Rogue farothel In Play
    Jessica Cooper Aasimar Cleric FarmerBink In Play
    Henri Half-Orc Ranger DarkOne In Play
    Tazmara Stonesong Dwarf Kineticist SanguinePenguin In Play
    Hewitt Faol Ratfolk Summoner DaOldeWolf NPC
    Marius Dimiri Human Ranger Spore NPC

IC thread was here and is now here.
    Original recruitment thread is here.
    The map of the archipelago is here and here.
    The map of the island is here.
    The map of the village is here.
    The downtime rules are here.
    The colony stpeadsheet is here.

Spoiler: Downtime house rules
    Show
    1. You can convert between various types of capital as per standard rules, but also have the following options. When building an useful business, you can convert Influence to Goods or Labor at 2:1 rate (get an approval from the governor to have this benefit; a farm or a workshop probably qualifies). When building somethng for the benefit of the colony as a whole, you can convert Influence to Goods or Labor at 1:1 rate (get an approval from the governor to have this benefit; a stockade or a militia probably qualifies).
    2. New buildings within the original perimeter require an explicit approval and can take a lot of Influence. Upgrading and rebuilding within the original footprint does not count.
    3. Not everything listed in the rules is availabe. Ask before you proceed.
    4. You can spend 1 point of Influence to either gain a +5 on a skill check when appropriate OR have an NPC make a skill check requiring no more than an hour of work.
    5. You can spend 1 point of Influence to have one 1st-level spell or a bunch of cantrips cast on your behalf. Spend 2 points for a 2nd-level spell.

NPCs will speak in bold black.
    Last edited by u-b; 2023-10-20 at 03:45 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Ruins of Azlant OOC

I'll use this colour for speech if it's okay with you. Mostly because it's the colour I use in other PbPs and that way I don't have to think about it.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

I think I will go with dark orange. A color most fitting for a char with that appearance.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Hiya ladies (?) and gents (heh)! This is Jessica's player reporting for service. Because she's such an upstanding sweetheart, I'll have her speak using a golden yellow, dark enough to read. If that seems unsuitable to anyone, let me know. Otherwise, she'll be an absolute dear to work with! XD

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

I'm glad my 11th hour submission worked out. Happy to game with all of you. (I don't think I've played with any of you in the past.) Taz shall use dark red for "speech" and thoughts.

Spoiler: Taz
    Show
    Tazmara "Taz" Stonesong - Dwarven Kineticist

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    Tazmara "Taz" Stonesong was born and raised in Taggoret. She comes from a long line of Stonesongs - proud miners with huge families that view themselves as the backbone of the Taggoret economy. Taz, along with her six older brothers, seemed destined to join into the family business, and she was happy with that. When learning the mining trade from her second eldest (and favorite) brother, Goran, there was a cave in that flooded the cavern, and trapped her brother under the rubble. It was in that moment that her powers first manifested, and she used the very water that was killing him to free him from the rubble, before she dragged him to safety.

Initially the manifestation of these powers left her and those around her frightened, even her parents and brothers (with the exception of Goran), but after a few weeks everyone grew accustomed to her new normal. Eventually, her entire clan, parents and five brothers included (sans Goran), began to tease her about this newfound aquatic nature. She was commonly addressed by such monikers as "aquadwarf," "the fire-haired water wench," and her personal least-favorite "drippy." Eventually, Goran and her fourth brother, Kaleb, were among several dwarves who died in a tragic encounter with a band of goblins. A few weeks after the incident, these losses along with her clan's incessant barbs drove her to a breaking point. So, in one of her greatest regrets, she left Taggoret and her family behind without even saying goodbye.

She travelled the world aimlessly taking odd jobs, heading first to Taldor, then Andoran, all the while failing to form any close connections. In Almas, she learned of the Bountiful Venture Company's expedition to Azlant and decided to enlist. With some of her odd jobs having provided experience in exploring, it was a good fit. Although not entirely aware of this herself, she hopes to find the kinship she lost among her clan, and that she also had trouble forming in her travels. Part of her believes that being trapped on a ship and then forming a colony with some strangers is likely her best hope of forming bonds tighter even than those of family.

With her mind made up, she went to the recruitment office and interviewed to join the expedition. She left with the impression that she would be part of it, but never heard back and was ultimately not admitted to the first wave of colonists. When the second call came, she returned. This time, she would not take no for an answer. She stubbornly refused to leave, continually arguing why she was a great choice, until she had a slot on the expedition - perhaps due to her persistence. She doesn't expect to encounter many (if any) dwarves during this chapter of her life, and she views that prospect as a release.

Spoiler: Personality
    Show
    Taz is short tempered, stubborn, prideful, and combative. She is a bit of a pessimist and views every new disaster to arise with disdain. She can be quite snarky and prone to insulting others. She doesn't particularly want to hurt anyone, but has a tendency to lash out from habit. Although she is quick to dish insults out, she can't take them well. Insults about her being a dwarf or an aquakineticist, i.e. insults directed at who she is, things she cannot change, really anger her. In addition to being quick to anger, she can be long to hold a grudge. She has difficulty trusting, is slow to form bonds with others, and maybe too quick to shed a nascent bond at a perceived slight, but will do anything for those close to her. When channeling her powers, her emotions are often highest.

Spoiler: Appearance
    Show
    Taz is tall for a dwarven woman, with broad shoulders, and a muscular physique, but is otherwise quite lean by dwarven standards. She has cold gray eyes that take in everything critically. Taz has long, dark red hair that she frequently braids (often poorly) into intricate patterns. She tends to wear her emotions clearly on her face - flushing bright red when furious or embarrassed; scowling when angered; grinning broadly when pleased; and smirking mischievously when up to no good. She favors practical clothing - armor or explorer's garb, and for obvious reasons, ones that dry quickly. Despite not really needing one, she always has a weapon on her person, and feels very uncomfortable when unarmed. When using her powers, she is often surrounded with a torrent of water.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

I cannot see Jessica's pic. It says "Sorry. This Image is currently Unavailable" (nor can I see Farmerbink's ava, but that is beside the point). Can you host is somewhere else or othervise provide it for me to host?

Speaking of which, here is Laurelata's portrait to use on the sheet.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

If I understood correctly, we're going there as settlers (at least that's the reason we're chosen), so we're supposed to be doing something in the colony. As my character has grown up in an inn and knows cooking (which I took because she grew up in an inn and helped out in the kitchen), I think it's logical for me to want to start an inn.
    If I misunderstood and we were supposed to be something else, please do let me know and I'll edit.

Thanks for the pic, I've added it to the sheet.

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by farothel View Post
    As my character has grown up in an inn and knows cooking (which I took because she grew up in an inn and helped out in the kitchen), I think it's logical for me to want to start an inn.
    If I misunderstood and we were supposed to be something else, please do let me know and I'll edit.
    The understanding is generally correct. The place won't be expecting much passing traffic in the coming months (maybe years), so to utilize the accomodations part you will have to target long-stay visitors, of which you migh find a few (for example, the PCs). The tavern / saloon part of the inn seems like it would do just fine, unless there is already one (right now, you don't know).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

and Testing again that'll do. Do I need to put it on the sheet again? I'll have to resize it and stuff, which is minor, but annoying. XD

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by farothel View Post
    If I understood correctly, we're going there as settlers (at least that's the reason we're chosen), so we're supposed to be doing something in the colony. As my character has grown up in an inn and knows cooking (which I took because she grew up in an inn and helped out in the kitchen), I think it's logical for me to want to start an inn.

Thanks for the pic, I've added it to the sheet.
    Maybe, we can help each others businesses. My char wants to start building too. Probably a small shop to begin with. We could make a deal with the fishermen, hunters and farmers together. Buy stuff in bulk and both of us use the resources. Maybe even share the work force when we are away.
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

The pic doesn't work for me. We will really need the them later, when we do combat maps, but I prefer to have it sorted sooner rather than later.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

The new one still doesn't work? (2 posts up?) If that doesn't work, I have no idea how to make it work- I hosted it on google photos and put in the link as such. I didn't take the time to do the same for my character sheet, but I can sometime this afternoon probably.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    The new one still doesn't work? (2 posts up?) If that doesn't work, I have no idea how to make it work- I hosted it on google photos and put in the link as such.
    Yeah, that one. It fails with a different face (gray "no entry" road sign), but also doesn't work.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Boy, that's weird. I don't even know what else to do, to be honest.... I guess I can try to host it on a different website?

Edit: Out of curiosity, can you confirm whether or not it's visible on the character sheet, now?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    Boy, that's weird. I don't even know what else to do, to be honest.... I guess I can try to host it on a different website?

Edit: Out of curiosity, can you confirm whether or not it's visible on the character sheet, now?
    Now it is visible all right.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Weird. Well, if that's OK, I won't worry about hunting for a different image hosting service. Sorry for the weird issues.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I would suggest to take four potions of cure light wounds, each except the cleric carrying one, mostly to bring the cleric back so she can heal the rest of us.
    I don't take much equipment at the moment as I think I have evrything I need (or it's too expensive).

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Tazmara is short on equipment because for whatever dumb reason, kineticists only get 35 gp for equipment. The only other class that paltry are monks (for whom having no possessions makes thematic sense, and they basically can't use any equipment anyway). I would certainly welcome the lion's share of this 25 gp of supplies, unless anyone else has a major purchase they want to acquire. Aside from Jessica, everyone else has a bit of cash left over.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I've edited so I only put aside some arrows and that's 1gp. And if nobody uses their full 20, we can even share those amongst multiple people to top off our quivers. I had thought about a sunrod just in case, but we can do without I guess. I can actually put on on my left-over money if I really want to.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Ah, I had assumed it was 25 gp of supplies to share. I'll take 13.5 gp (plus one ration).

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SanguinePenguin View Post
    Ah, I had assumed it was 25 gp of supplies to share. I'll take 13.5 gp (plus one ration).
    with the full 20, I meant 20 arrows, not 20gp. My bad.
    The 25gp is communal (at least I assume so).

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

I am fine with someone taking all the possible potions to heal. My character cant carry much stuff.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

I think that is 200 gp of healing for us to split. In which case, farothel's plan of four healing potions, one a piece sans Jessica seems good.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Sanguine, I tend to exclude thoughts from my RP. Everything bold is said.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Ah okay, thanks for clearing that up. I mistakenly suspected these two might have been thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    Negotiating terms? When people could be in danger?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    At least I could convince father to leave the tent at home.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DaOldeWolf View Post
    I am fine with someone taking all the possible potions to heal. My character cant carry much stuff.
    a potion is 1 ounce of fluid (30ml). Shouldn't be too much of a problem to add one.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DaOldeWolf View Post
    Hewitt tries his best to hide his surprise when he sees all the resources given at their disposal. He decided to just have the two potions for the time being.
    Err, sorry for a minor miscommunication here. The gear is per party, not per person. I usually explicitly say when it's per person.

Also, there are just two boats on Perigrine and, for obvious reasons, you are not getting the second. The boats are fairly large, though, roughly 10x20 feet, and could carry up to 8 men before having to squeeze.

Hoping to get IC post later today.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

@Sanguine: First, thanks for responding as you did. I intended the offer to be at best unexpected (though Jessica's strength is legitimately significant). I'm hoping to successfully portray a very dramatic shift from a useless young lady (practically a debutante)- with potential but utterly naive, into a capable young woman, able to work hard (to go along with her willingness). It'll be something of a rapid-fire series of hard lessons, but it seems consistent with my concept for her that she'll learn quickly.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by u-b View Post
    Err, sorry for a minor miscommunication here. The gear is per party, not per person. I usually explicitly say when it's per person.

Also, there are just two boats on Perigrine and, for obvious reasons, you are not getting the second. The boats are fairly large, though, roughly 10x20 feet, and could carry up to 8 men before having to squeeze.

Hoping to get IC post later today.
    OK. Thanks for the info. Not it changes my plan on what to take.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

OK, done my surprise round. As you can't really shoot an Arrow underwater, I choose to wait. And also it might just be curious and if we attack, get aggressive. While if we don't do anything, it will just go away. As a scuba diver myself, I know that squid can indeed be very curious.