New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Ruins of Azlant OOC

So, out-of-character, is there a dungeon for us here? As the player, I am trying to find what I assumed was the next dungeon, but if there isn't one and it would be obvious to Henri, then I can have him take a chill pill and just watch out for centipedes and goblins while in the ruins...

2. - Top - End - #422
    Ettin in the Playground

There is no pre-generated dungeon. I'd let you find some valuables if you dig them or something, but this is not required to continue with the campaign.

3. - Top - End - #423

NecromancerGuy

I wasn't trying to go off book - made the assumption that something interesting was (underground) here. Henri will help look around and see if we find anything to direct us above ground.

4. - Top - End - #424

NecromancerGuy

I was hoping for more input from the other PCs on Henri's plan. Making a ghillie suit is not a short process, but it is effective if he takes the time. Any opinions?

5. - Top - End - #425
    Titan in the Playground

Jessica won't be comfortable hanging around all that long, but she'll defer to Henri's expertise.

She also won't be comfortable hanging around far from him, but knows better than to give away the party.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Titan in the Playground

Uh. You guys read the part about how there's a Goblin lady out collecting mushrooms or something headed for us, yeah?

7. - Top - End - #427
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Yes, I was sort of ignoring her as long as she didn't see us.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

8. - Top - End - #428

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    Uh. You guys read the part about how there's a Goblin lady out collecting mushrooms or something headed for us, yeah?
    I think it noteworthy that u-b isn't asking for Stealth checks to hide or Initiative. If that is being hinted at because the goblin is approaching that closely, then I will roll when requested. Otherwise Henri would remain focused on setting himself up for the longer-reconnaissance and observation.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I'll do my perception check here so I can include the results in my IC post.
    (1d20+8)[9]

EDIT: I'll have to move closer I think.
    Last edited by farothel; 2021-05-05 at 03:15 AM.

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

10. - Top - End - #430
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    Is there a goblin in range of a 40-ft charge? If so, Henri will charge one.
    Yep, and you've just charged one for no effect.

11. - Top - End - #431

NecromancerGuy

Yeah, my (virtual) dice hate me. Natural "1"s suck...

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ettin in the Playground

You are six miles away from the village. The way back is mostly trackless woods, but you are pretty sure you would be back before the sunset even if you had to carry all three goblins which are, say, 35 pounds each. You would be tired by another day of walking and Hewitt will probably be outright exhausted, but that could be fixed with a few days of rest. If there are no objections, I'll get you on the way sometime tomorrow (we will see if you encounter something along the way, but if you follow your markings, you probably won't).

13. - Top - End - #433
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

sounds good. Laurelata will be looking out during the trip back home. Not only for ambushes and such, but also for more herbs they can use. Not really searching, but just keeping a lookout for it.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by u-b View Post
    You are six miles away from the village. The way back is mostly trackless woods, but you are pretty sure you would be back before the sunset even if you had to carry all three goblins which are, say, 35 pounds each. You would be tired by another day of walking and Hewitt will probably be outright exhausted, but that could be fixed with a few days of rest. If there are no objections, I'll get you on the way sometime tomorrow (we will see if you encounter something along the way, but if you follow your markings, you probably won't).
    This course is definitely my preference. If there's any plausible path to rehabilitation and alliance, it's going to take time.

15. - Top - End - #435

NecromancerGuy

So, I am Active Duty US Navy, currently on "shore duty," but will be going underway for about a month starting mid-June. I will be back, but won't have consistent access to forums or Discord (or any at all) until mid-July. Until I leave I will keep posting, but if/when I drop off it isn't forever. Please BOT Sanamin and Thargril as necessary.

I will remind everyone of this a day or two before I leave - just wanted to put it out there for planning purposes and so that no one was surprised.

Thanks!

16. - Top - End - #436
    Titan in the Playground

It occurs to me that a diplomacy check should be in order: (1d20+8)[18]

Whatever penalties may apply, Jessica is determined to keep trying again until she starts to make progress or the Goblins force us to kill them for our own safety.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Ettin in the Playground

There is a recently constructed guard tower, the ground floor of which can be re-purposed as a holding cell. Normaly, there would be a guard on the upper floor, but changing him regularly would be problematic with unbound goblins on the ground floor, so you can just close the trap door, take the ladder out and leave the guard standing outside of the ground floor door. It will be cramped and you might want to procure some mats or what not for them to lie on, but seems quite doable.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I think it's best if Jessica takes the lead (she has the best diplomacy skill) with Laurelata helping.
    diplomacy (aid another): (1d20+6)[13]

19. - Top - End - #439
    Titan in the Playground

in the interest of clarity, is there out-of-character objection to trying to make nice with the Goblins?

I can come up with a variety of ways Jessica would react, and don't want to force this if the other players disapprove, just want to be clear about whether or not the disapproval is in-game RP for Jessica to overcome or out-of-character annoyance at a perceived waste of time.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Actually I kinda like it. Somewhere between first and second edition Pathfinder, goblins became a player race, so something has to have made that change and has goblins accepted. Why not this?

21. - Top - End - #441
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

From me, it is entirely an in-game objection. Taz has a dark history with goblins, plus decades of dwarven mindset toward goblins imprinted on her. That said, I do think the points she's raised are at least partially valid. So as a player, I certainly don't have a strong opinion.

22. - Top - End - #442

NecromancerGuy

As a player - no issue.
    In-character - Henri is a simple man from a military background. He has no outright hatred of goblins, but is not of the mindset to look for peaceful resolutions to conflicts with enemies who attack him on sight.

If there were a delegation from the goblins to the colony he would have no problem.

If somehow his orcish heritage helped make the goblins friendlier (monstrous-ish races?) then he'd be glad to help.

But with captured goblins who tried to kill him during the capture after they were planning to attack the village (or so he thought)...yeah, he's confused, not that smart, and not particularly diplomatic.

In-character he won't sabotage the effort, but he also doesn't have any good idea how to help with an effort he doesn't understand.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Titan in the Playground

Good deal. I can get behind all of that. Thanks for the quick responses.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Being pointed by Laurelata in the direction of the grindylow, Jessica scans the shoreline for more. This does not yield good results - the sandy beach, trees, buches, but no grindylows. Jessica's attention keeps returning to the direction where she saw the grindylow. The cape is the only stone thing, maybe sort of a pumice or something. Very uneven. And, in one particular place, having suspiciously negative slope right near the water. She points at it, and asks if anyone knows what she sees. But she can get only so much from the party. Marius sees it, whatever it is, but cannot say if there is an underwater cave there or if the negative slope ends at that.
    There we go! Good memory, Farmerbink ...though I'm not sure if anyone but Taz would be up for a (partially) underwater adventure just yet. We could go investigate more closely though.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I think Taz is the only one who can do an underwater adventure right now. The rest could do a very short underwater adventure (say about 3 minutes in game time max, and probably shorter).

26. - Top - End - #446

NecromancerGuy

Taking 20 on Stealth (23) and Survival (27) if allowed to prepare something like a hunting blind for the party to use while staying near the goblin village.
    Taking 10, most likely, as you cannot try ad nauseam, but you do claim +2 bonus on subsequent stealth as if helping everyone and yourself, and the survival is good enough.
    That sounds fine. So it looks like our Blind has a static DC of 13 to see and we have a boost to our stealth of +2 when using it? That about summarize things?

Depending on how long our survey of the goblin village lasts, can Henri keep working on the blind? I would do dice rolls, but I'm not sure the cost in terms of time/effort/risk. Can you give me an idea on that?

27. - Top - End - #447
    Ettin in the Playground

That sounds fine. So it looks like our Blind has a static DC of 13 to see and we have a boost to our stealth of +2 when using it? That about summarize things?
    Yep.

Depending on how long our survey of the goblin village lasts, can Henri keep working on the blind? I would do dice rolls, but I'm not sure the cost in terms of time/effort/risk. Can you give me an idea on that?
    You can, but you will not be using any stealth while at it. Let's say 20 minutes with DC 15 gives +2. Further 40 minutes at DC 20 gives another +2. You can try these as much as you want, spending time as normal. Trying to achieve greater benefit would be impractical.

28. - Top - End - #448

NecromancerGuy

I'll take those opportunities, then. Survival to improve the blind, working for a couple of hours (or until interrupted) - (1d20+7)[10] (fail), (1d20+7)[21] (pass - total of 40 minutes spent so far), (1d20+7)[19] (fail), (1d20+7)[21] (pass - total of 120 minutes, or two hours, spent), (1d20+7)[16], (1d20+7)[26]

29. - Top - End - #449
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Laurelata Perform check: (1d20+2)[10]

30. - Top - End - #450
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    That question is at least partially for u-b. In my head the Grindylows attacked us at night after the first encounter with them.
    Yep. You were camping burning fire not far from the sea, from here and from a previous camp. You can try to see if they do that again or you can make other arrangements. I'll post hopefully some time tomorrow.