New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Ruins of Azlant OOC

There is a major issue with 'money' here anyhow. As long as the settlement is not properly fortified and moved into, I assume gold doesn't do anything. Unless the ship brought undefined goods that are personally owned rather than the necessary gear to fortify the outpost.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by farothel View Post
    -is there a reason why Laurelata didn't get any gold (probably I have forgotten something somewhere)?
    Laurelata has expressed a desire to establish an inn and thus was allocated a comparable amount of resources instead (or, likely, a greater amount, depending on how you are counting). Would she prefer gold instead?

-I see in the spreadsheet that I have already some goods and labour and such. The downtime rules say a lot about gaining capital, but not much about spending it. If for instance I want to help with completing the palisade, so we have at least some form of protection, just in case, how much would that cost?
    The downtime rules I've linked have relevant links in a box on the upper right of the page. For standard-issue buildings refer to Buildings and Organizations section and for custom designs refer to Rooms and Teams section. You will need three sections of Defensive Wall to finish the work already started by previous colonists, but that would mostly work against threats of which you have some advance warning as it wouldn't cover the farmhouses, walling which is probably impractical. You could add up to three Guard Posts in the corners. They were definitely planned, but their construction right now is purely optional.

-And if I read it correctly, if for instance I want to go into the woods to set snares and gather fruits and vegetables which I then cook and sell in the colony (the start of an inn basically, but from a food stall to start, using the kitchen in our house), I can just take 10 on my survival skill (for 12 in total) and then take 10 on my cooking skill for 15, correct? But what does that earn me. It says skilled labour earns skill/10 gp per day. But is that the survival skill (1gp, 2sp) or the cooking skill (1gp, 5sp)? And it also says that per 10 I can get 1 'good', so I can do that instead of money, right? As there will not be a lot of money in the colony, we'll be using some sort of barter system I guess.
    If you just work for money, you take the better skill, make a check (e.g. taking 10) and that's how many silver pieces you earn. So you can earn 1.5 gp per day without putting yourself in danger. Putting yourself in danger would be adventuring. You can earn 1 unit of goods, but that means doing favors and making arrangements. You will have to pay 10 gp to have the stuff actually delivered. If you just order the stuff to be delivered without any leg work, you'd pay 20 gp for 1 unit of goods.

UPD: Oh, and actually using the kitchen to cook will give +4 to the roll, so you will earn a bit more. I assume with the population count as it is, using a private kitchen for business is still practical. Only one person can use it for business on any one day.

As for the money, I am pretty sure someone will establish a bank sooner or later if the need arises, so that everyone can run on credit to everyone else, without much actual money involved in transactions. Maybe even Ramona does it if it comes to that as the company backing all this clearly has some resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    There is a major issue with 'money' here anyhow. As long as the settlement is not properly fortified and moved into, I assume gold doesn't do anything. Unless the ship brought undefined goods that are personally owned rather than the necessary gear to fortify the outpost.
    The fortification part is expected to be done with local timber, but also brought-in nails, tools etc., so both generic goods and labor are required. Gold gets you generic goods allocated and the company brought a shipload of them, in addition to the colony's store. Steel, textiles and some food (also leather and hemp, to a lesser extent) would come out of those. Everyone here is in for the money, so gold does something, as long as there is something for sale that is.
    Last edited by u-b; 2020-12-07 at 11:45 AM.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by u-b View Post
    LEveryone here is in for the money, so gold does something, as long as there is something for sale that is.
    Just a side note, Jessica is definitely *not* in this for the money.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Laurelata has expressed a desire to establish an inn and thus was allocated a comparable amount of resources instead (or, likely, a greater amount, depending on how you are counting). Would she prefer gold instead?
    No, that's fine. I'll survive.

The downtime rules I've linked have relevant links in a box on the upper right of the page. For standard-issue buildings refer to Buildings and Organizations section and for custom designs refer to Rooms and Teams section. You will need three sections of Defensive Wall to finish the work already started by previous colonists, but that would mostly work against threats of which you have some advance warning as it wouldn't cover the farmhouses, walling which is probably impractical. You could add up to three Guard Posts in the corners. They were definitely planned, but their construction right now is purely optional.
    20+ years of internet and I forgot that those blue underlined things are clickable.

If you just work for money, you take the better skill, make a check (e.g. taking 10) and that's how many silver pieces you earn. So you can earn 1.5 gp per day without putting yourself in danger. Putting yourself in danger would be adventuring. You can earn 1 unit of goods, but that means doing favors and making arrangements. You will have to pay 10 gp to have the stuff actually delivered. If you just order the stuff to be delivered without any leg work, you'd pay 20 gp for 1 unit of goods.

UPD: Oh, and actually using the kitchen to cook will give +4 to the roll, so you will earn a bit more. I assume with the population count as it is, using a private kitchen for business is still practical. Only one person can use it for business on any one day.

As for the money, I am pretty sure someone will establish a bank sooner or later if the need arises, so that everyone can run on credit to everyone else, without much actual money involved in transactions. Maybe even Ramona does it if it comes to that as the company backing all this clearly has some resources.
    As I'm the only one with cooking (I think), it should do until such time as I can build a tavern with extra kitchen. But that's for the future (those things are expensive).

So if I understand correctly, I first earn money and then use that money to earn goods, correct?

The fortification part is expected to be done with local timber, but also brought-in nails, tools etc., so both generic goods and labor are required. Gold gets you generic goods allocated and the company brought a shipload of them, in addition to the colony's store. Steel, textiles and some food (also leather and hemp, to a lesser extent) would come out of those. Everyone here is in for the money, so gold does something, as long as there is something for sale that is.
    I would say we start by pooling some resources to finish the pallisade and build one guard tower. We can use close by timber and at the same time clear fields for farming and have a better view for the guards.

One section of defensive wall will be 5 Goods, 2 Influence, 5 Labor, so that's 15 goods, 6 influence and 15 labor for the complete wall, plus 7 Goods, 2 Influence, 6 Labor for one guard post in the most dangerous corner (I would put it near the top or the right on the map).
    Last edited by farothel; 2020-12-07 at 12:53 PM.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ettin in the Playground

So if I understand correctly, I first earn money and then use that money to earn goods, correct?
    Generally, yes. Although since you are adventurers, you might have a separate source of income to supplement this.

I would say we start by pooling some resources to finish the pallisade and build one guard tower. We can use close by timber and at the same time clear fields for farming and have a better view for the guards.

One section of defensive wall will be 5 Goods, 2 Influence, 5 Labor, so that's 15 goods, 6 influence and 15 labor for the complete wall, plus 7 Goods, 2 Influence, 6 Labor for one guard post in the most dangerous corner (I would put it near the top or the right on the map).
    More likely the right, as this would give a better view of the un-walled part of the settlement (or that's what Ramona would say). You can convert Influence to Goods and/or Labor at 1:1 rate for the project as stated, so choose how much, if any, you want to convert.

As a side note, you might want to consider your housing quality sooner or later. At the moment, it has one "double"-style bedroom and can feature sleeping bags or hammocks in the storage room.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    Just a side note, Jessica is definitely *not* in this for the money.
    Oh, Marius knows. :D

7. - Top - End - #307
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I would say we do a quick check of all the buildings, just look inside to make sure they are still empty. I don't think we need to do it building by building. I guess a few perception rolls to notice anything and if we do, just those buildings that have something in them should be fine.

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

8. - Top - End - #308
    Titan in the Playground

Hey guys. Just chiming in to let you know that I'm having a bit of difficulty on the home front. Our nicu baby came home kind of suddenly Sunday PM, and I'm still on the mend from knee surgery. I hope to have/make time to put together some good stuff for downtime and an in-character post tonight, but the last two nights I've (tried to, mostly) gone to bed at 7:30, 'cuz I'm just out of gas by then. It doesn't help that I'm having trouble sleeping, but them's the breaks sometimes.

In the meantime, Jessica will agree with anything that serves to help other people (like doing a sweep of the village- perhaps leaving the chapel for now), and will gladly attempt to help, physically or otherwise, regardless of her ability or likelihood to be successful.

Edit: having done some reading, I think Jessica's most likely downtime pursuits are going to be the acquiring of Goods and Influence. I don't see her getting too involved with a business, unless running a church qualifies by these rules, but I do want her to be an involved member of the community. Someone with clout, who can get things done when they need to get done, but doesn't really play the business game. It's easy for me to imagine something like favors for healing townsfolk and their livestock or otherwise generally helping people out. When things get really bad, everyone knows her, and has been helped by her at one point or another, so she has lots of "Capital" to draw on. Does that make sense (and sound satisfying)?

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ettin in the Playground

Edit: having done some reading, I think Jessica's most likely downtime pursuits are going to be the acquiring of Goods and Influence. I don't see her getting too involved with a business, unless running a church qualifies by these rules, but I do want her to be an involved member of the community. Someone with clout, who can get things done when they need to get done, but doesn't really play the business game. It's easy for me to imagine something like favors for healing townsfolk and their livestock or otherwise generally helping people out. When things get really bad, everyone knows her, and has been helped by her at one point or another, so she has lots of "Capital" to draw on. Does that make sense (and sound satisfying)?
    The capital has to be paid for sooner or later (it costs some money to ackquire eitehr way) and for simplicity of bookkeeping we'll pay on acquision. Therefore, if you do not use the capital, you just sink money. Goods are also somewhat scarce and having tham allocated to you for no purpose does not seem optimal. Other than that, I see no problems with it.
    Last edited by u-b; 2020-12-10 at 01:03 AM.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Troll in the Playground

Does that mean that the "ghost" is still where we last saw it?
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ettin in the Playground

You have not checked, for the reason it being invisible. One way to check would be to provoke its reaction to someone or something, but you'll have to describe how exactly you do that.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, a point of clarification: do you want us to literally tell you where we are when the boat slows down?

Jessica would generally be taking a hands-on approach to helping unload the ship, but I'm content letting you decide (randomly or not) whether she's on the cargo vessel or ashore or on the main ship when it happens.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey, a point of clarification: do you want us to literally tell you where we are when the boat slows down?
    Yep.

Jessica would generally be taking a hands-on approach to helping unload the ship, but I'm content letting you decide (randomly or not) whether she's on the cargo vessel or ashore or on the main ship when it happens.
    Got it. Will wait for some more input before I proceed.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Question: do we have a harpoon onboard? Or failing that, any spear or javelin will do?

I can also take some fishing gear out and see if they want to come to it.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ettin in the Playground

Assume that you have harpoons, fishing nets and spears. Either on Perigrine or on land. For simplicity, let's assume it's all in the tool house.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

I am not really in it with my heart to be honest. I am sorry to Bink for having our little RP end in nothing though I assume Marius will still fancy her if it comes to it. I think Marius would oversee the camp's construction.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Troll in the Playground

Meery Christmas, guys! I hope you have a good night.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    I am not really in it with my heart to be honest. I am sorry to Bink for having our little RP end in nothing though I assume Marius will still fancy her if it comes to it. I think Marius would oversee the camp's construction.
    Sorry to hear it, but grateful that you came out and told us.

In any sort of long-term sense, we'll probably need a front liner, now/again. I know lots of people I'd be happy to invite, if you'd like, u_b. Just let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by DaOldeWolf View Post
    Meery Christmas, guys! I hope you have a good night.
    And you as well! We're having a fun, small gathering (MiL and BiL came into town), and I'm enjoying the reprieve of nap time XD.

The fish seems to be waiting for the throw. It darts away with an astonishing speed in general direction of the open sea.
    I guess the boat isn't moving right now, so we can't tell if it suddenly moves faster again?

19. - Top - End - #319
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I guess the boat isn't moving right now, so we can't tell if it suddenly moves faster again?
    We can test if it works and if it does, we just have to chase away all the fish. I was hoping to catch one so we could study it and see where it came from.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ettin in the Playground

In any sort of long-term sense, we'll probably need a front liner, now/again. I know lots of people I'd be happy to invite, if you'd like, u_b. Just let me know.
    Let's invite one person. First come, first served. I won't make a re-recruitment thread, so here or on Discord.

Could be checked for magic and/or (longer, but more definite) sailed some distance to test.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

Let's invite one person. First come, first served. I won't make a re-recruitment thread, so here or on Discord.
    Cool. I've told and invited my brother (DarkOne, in Discord). He'll have a character ready later today.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Greetings! Is there a Big 16 from which I can work? I understand you need a meat-shield, front-liner in combat; what is needed socially? What do the other PCs look like?

Thanks!

23. - Top - End - #323
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    Greetings! Is there a Big 16 from which I can work? I understand you need a meat-shield, front-liner in combat; what is needed socially? What do the other PCs look like?

Thanks!
    Check the first post of this tread. There are links to all PCs and to the recruitment tread (where the big16 are in).

24. - Top - End - #324

NecromancerGuy

Check the first post of this tread. There are links to all PCs and to the recruitment tread (where the big16 are in).
    I found all those after I posted. Will check them out. Thanks!

25. - Top - End - #325

NecromancerGuy

Henri (no last name) is nearly done. I still need to get gear done, but otherwise he is ready for review.

Spoiler: Henri picture and description
    Show

The huge half-orc before you doesn't look handsome or friendly. With heavily patterned tattoos over most of his visible skin and a lopsided, asymmetric face, Henri is usually shunned for his appearance before he even opens his tusked-mouth.

Henri is a Wild Stalker-archetype Ranger, so he will not have Favored Enemies, an Animal Companion, or a specific Combat Style and will instead have Barbarian rage and Rage Powers as he levels up. He is also a VMC Oracle of Waves, and will develop some powers related to water as he advances.

Mechanically he is not the fastest in combat, but he is a melee combatant that prefers to stand apart from his allies at the front of combat. Out of combat he won't talk much, but will instead work to be the outdoors-expert and help the party stay safe when exploring in the wilderness.

Spoiler: Personality
    Show
    Henri isn't actually a mean or (intentionally) rude person. He's quiet, though. If he can say nothing and express himself through actions, he does. If one word will suffice, he doesn't use two. The half-orc has learned that people fear him and often lash out without warning, so he is a loner who prefers the company of nature over people.

Spoiler: Traits
    Show
    Racial Traits from being a Half-Orc

Pariah - Henri's family was peaceful and content to live lives isolated from their violent relatives in the lands near the Holds of Belkzen. However, given the war-filled history of the area they were never allowed to live a peaceful life there. When the family moved south towards the Inner Sea they encountered frequent - and sometimes violent - prejudices along the way. Even as a young boy Henri found himself a pariah in human-dominated lands, isolated and shunned (at best) by most everyone he encountered.

Shaman's Apprentice - Henri's father was a mystic dedicated to nature and peaceful relations between intelligent races and the natural world. Once they found a place where they could farm and hunt in relative peace, Henri and his family worked very hard, learning to endure long days and nights without stopping. It toughed Henri up considerably and led to his success later in life.

Sacred Tattoo - The tattoos on Henri's body were placed there by his father. Though not actually magical, Henri believes they give him luck and remembers all the stories surrounding their creation.

(Normal) Traits

Fate's Favored (Faith) - In spite of his difficult life so far, Henri is right where the fates want him. He's luckier than most, when it really, really matters.

Armor Expert (Combat) - As a young man Henri was conscripted by more than one army, pulled abruptly from his home by force and then forced from one battlefield to another. Though not trained for war, his hardy upbringing and natural strength proved valuable. His squad leaders eventually noted his skills with tracking and animals and made him a scout. It is from other scouts that he learned how to best wear his armor, tying the straps down just so he could avoid the most constricting aspects of it.

Eagle Knight Recruit (Campaign) - Henri is not the paragon of diplomatic humanity that usually attracts the attention of the Eagle Knights. It is for this reason that they felt he would be a good, secret agent of the organization to travel onboard the Venture Company ships headed to Talmandor's Bounty. As a young, but well-respected scout in the military, Henri was selected and told to board the ship headed for the colony. Henri is about as subtle and ingratiating as rough-grit sandpaper, but he made it across the ocean without giving himself away, largely by not speaking most of the time. Once in the pristine wilderness of the islands Henri found a place he could really love and call home. He has interpreted his orders to see to the colony's safety as a directive to stay on the outskirts and look for threats from the wilds that might endanger the good people trying to make lives for themselves. It allows him to be alone, safe from prejudicial violence, and still see to the contract he made with the Eagle Knights. He sends reports as expected, but not one word more.

Spoiler: Drawback
    Show
    Loner - Henri doesn't trust people and usually prefers to be alone. He knows that sometimes you have to work others and can be a team player, but his doubts and distrust never fully fade - he's been hurt too many times to forget.

Henri's life has been tough, and he prefers not to spend much time on the past as a result. Born near Belkzen Hold, he and his family traveled far to avoid warfare and instead found prejudice and violence for their appearances and race. Once they finally found an abandoned farm far out in the wilds of Taldor they tried to settle down and work the land, living in concert with nature and making the most peaceful life for themselves that they could.

Unfortunately, peace is hard to hold, and their farm was in the path of one of the many armies traveling the lands. Henri was snatched up - an enormous, strong, and well-behaved half-orc teenager was too good to pass up - and conscripted into several different wars over the following years. He was quiet and kept to himself, an ideal soldier and scout. However, during one particularly brutal, amphibious assault he took a bad injury, severely breaking a leg and developing a painful limp from which he has never fully recovered.

(What he doesn't know is that it was this event that brought him to the attention of mysterious forces of wave and water. His leg, cursed to make him lame for the rest of his life, was the cost of strange powers that will develop as he becomes a lesser-Oracle of Waves over time.)

When approached by a team of Eagle Knights to go "under cover" to the colony of Talmandor's Bounty he agreed (mostly by way of silently not arguing) and ended up on the Peregrine with a bonus from the Knights and his gear from the army. He's excited to explore the wilds of Azlant and find a place for himself far from the war and strife of the Inner Seas. During the trip over the ocean he found a kinship with the sounds of the waves and water and enjoys exploring the wilderness - especially the beaches - of the island where the colony lies.

Little does he know that things are about to get exciting...again...

Can I take the "Shaman's Apprentice" Half-Orc racial trait (to get Endurance) and at level three, when as a Ranger I would get Endurance, select a different feat? Specifically, I would be hoping to get Die Hard, for which Endurance is a pre-requisite.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    Can I take the "Shaman's Apprentice" Half-Orc racial trait (to get Endurance) and at level three, when as a Ranger I would get Endurance, select a different feat? Specifically, I would be hoping to get Die Hard, for which Endurance is a pre-requisite.
    Yeah, that's fine. Looks good overall. You start with some limited experience and with extra 200 gp starting funds. I'll need a myth weavers seet to add you.

27. - Top - End - #327

NecromancerGuy

Oops - that's what I get for multi-tasking. Here you go: Henri.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, if you people are waiting for me to introduce Henri, please don't. Henri is somewhere on the dry land, having landed just recently, and can hear/see some commotion on the dock, but that's about it. He's probably aware of the whole story of the ship being slowed down (feel free to read last few pages) and of course you have met onboard during the long voyage from Andoran.

29. - Top - End - #329

NecromancerGuy

Awesome, got it. I will take some time to read it today.

Thanks!

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

Well, if you people are waiting for me to introduce Henri, please don't. Henri is somewhere on the dry land, having landed just recently, and can hear/see some commotion on the dock, but that's about it. He's probably aware of the whole story of the ship being slowed down (feel free to read last few pages) and of course you have met onboard during the long voyage from Andoran.
    noted! Jessica will gladly take the role of social butterfly to get him involved and keep him feeling appreciated! XD