New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Ruins of Azlant OOC

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    noted! Jessica will gladly take the role of social butterfly to get him involved and keep him feeling appreciated! XD
    I can probably help there, based on what little I have ready of the IC so far.

Is it fair to summarize what Henri knows as: the other PCs left the ship to investigate the abandoned first-colony. They were attacked on the way to shore, and had an interesting time of it once on the beach too. Now the crew is trying to get the other colonists on ground (because you cannot keep them on the ship forever) and things are going slowly due to mysterious fish-issues.

Have I missed anything Henri would know? Can he be a part of one of the boats that have just made it to shore?

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ettin in the Playground

That's about it. And yes, you could have arrived in the boat with Jessica.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by farothel View Post
    Maybe as you have knowledge(nature), here is a good point to jump in.
    DC 10 to make an informed guess that these things are not natural. Probably magical beasties?

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ettin in the Playground

1. Three sections of Defensive Wall and one Guard Post. The wall will be complete in two weeks and the tower a week after that. This will tie most of the woodworking potential of the colony and require some attention from you, but won't completely prevent other activities. The resources required are:

22 Goods
    21 Labor
    8 Influence

You can convert your influence at 1:1 ratio for this project, specify what each particular backer of this project expends or otherwise provides.

2. Are you posting the night guards for the first night after landing, for a set number of nights or "forever"?

3. A proposal to keep everyone in the two bunkhouses could be considered, but will not be popular. If you want to press on with it, specify the period of time for which it should extend and I'll set diplomacy DC. A period of "forever" is unlikely to pass.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by u-b View Post
    1. Three sections of Defensive Wall and one Guard Post. The wall will be complete in two weeks and the tower a week after that. This will tie most of the woodworking potential of the colony and require some attention from you, but won't completely prevent other activities. The resources required are:

22 Goods
    21 Labor
    8 Influence

You can convert your influence at 1:1 ratio for this project, specify what each particular backer of this project expends or otherwise provides.
    I would propose the following:
    Hewitt: 12 influence
    Jessica: 7 influence
    Laurelata: 10 influence, 2 other
    Marius: 12 influence
    Tazmara: 7 influence
    That brings us to 50 and I was hoping all the other colonists would supply the extra 1 needed.

I can then use the labour and goods I still have to add an extra bedroom to our house (after the tower and palisade are completed of course). That's also good for the entire group, but I don't mind paying for that on my own (and as that will not have a 1:1 exchange rate, I want to keep the correct stuff for that).

2. Are you posting the night guards for the first night after landing, for a set number of nights or "forever"?
    I would say forever, but as soon as the palisade and tower are completed, the number of guards can go down of course (at night, 2 on the tower should be sufficient, especially if they have a bell or something to raise the alarm).

3. A proposal to keep everyone in the two bunkhouses could be considered, but will not be popular. If you want to press on with it, specify the period of time for which it should extend and I'll set diplomacy DC. A period of "forever" is unlikely to pass.
    I would say until the tower is completed. That way they also have a good reason to get this done as quickly as possible and it gives a clear end date. A case could be made until the palisade is completed (that's a week less).

During this time I would as other activity to go out in the forest to hunt for food and cook it for sale to the workers, as I mentioned before.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

6. - Top - End - #336
    Titan in the Playground

Jessica: 7 influence- I was hoping all the other colonists would supply the extra 1 needed.
    Fine by me. I don't mind contributing an 8th, if we can't get the 1 from the colonists.

I would say forever, but as soon as the palisade and tower are completed, the number of guards can go down of course (at night, 2 on the tower should be sufficient, especially if they have a bell or something to raise the alarm).
    This. I agree completely.

I would say until the tower is completed. That way they also have a good reason to get this done as quickly as possible and it gives a clear end date. A case could be made until the palisade is completed (that's a week less).
    I was going to initially suggest the wall, but would be even happier with the tower.
    Spoiler: Diplomacy check- set your DC first!
    Show
    (1d20+7)[15] diplomacy to convince the folks to hang in the bunkhouses overnight only.

I still need to flesh out the details on how, but Jessica will by trying to help with the work and/or otherwise pursue Influence and Magical capital.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ettin in the Playground

The DC for that diplomacy check was 25. I was intending to mention that you cound spend Influence and/or make more people stand by the idea (by Aid Another checks), but seems you've just presented it and nobody was particularly impressed.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I'd like to imagine others could still assist, but I'm a bit surprised the DC is that high. I would think self preservation would go further to allay concerns than that. Still, ultimately these people are people with their own concerns and desires. Hopefully they don't get themselves killed. *shrugs*

9. - Top - End - #339
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Tried to help out, but the dice were not with me this time.

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

10. - Top - End - #340

NecromancerGuy

I'm lost on the "colony mechanics" that seem to have been discussed. Henri probably lacks any points to invest, but when able can we link those rules for me? Thanks!

11. - Top - End - #341
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    I'm lost on the "colony mechanics" that seem to have been discussed. Henri probably lacks any points to invest, but when able can we link those rules for me? Thanks!
    There's a bunch of links in the first post of the OOC topic. It's a downtime sort of thing where we build the colony up (or help to do so).

12. - Top - End - #342
    Troll in the Playground

So, who should make the roll? I dont have any diplomacy though I have a +3 cha.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ettin in the Playground

I can then use the labour and goods I still have to add an extra bedroom to our house (after the tower and palisade are completed of course). That's also good for the entire group, but I don't mind paying for that on my own (and as that will not have a 1:1 exchange rate, I want to keep the correct stuff for that).
    As for the extra bedroom, I see three options:
    1. Repurposing the storage room. This should be simpler and cheaper option, but, of course, will cost you a storage room.
    2. Expanding the house footprint. This will cost you some extra influence on top of the room's usual cost (for expanding in the limited walled area).
    3. Expanding the house vertically. This will require you to choose three rooms and pay for them at once, but you'll get a whole second floor for your house.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

As for the extra bedroom, I see three options:
    1. Repurposing the storage room. This should be simpler and cheaper option, but, of course, will cost you a storage room.
    2. Expanding the house footprint. This will cost you some extra influence on top of the room's usual cost (for expanding in the limited walled area).
    3. Expanding the house vertically. This will require you to choose three rooms and pay for them at once, but you'll get a whole second floor for your house.
    I would go with option 1 for now. We don't really need the storage room at the moment and we can always convert it back when we have enough money to get the second floor on.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Troll in the Playground

@farithel. I suppose that sounds like a good option. Lets go ith that one.

I think I will have my chracter look for deals with possible suppliers from the farms.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

16. - Top - End - #346
    Titan in the Playground

Hummm...

So serious question, we've still got "adventurer" stuff to do, right?

There's the grindylow hideout (which we think we spotted from the ship)
    I think we had a lead on the disappearing villagers still, right? Tracks we hadn't followed from the other campsite or something?
    At minimum, we can continue to scout the island generically. At some point, it'll need to be done, and it's obviously not safe for most.

I can post about Jessica helping Ramona in the abandoned government building trying to make sense of the records, but otherwise she's kind of just going to hang around helping people with things.

17. - Top - End - #347

NecromancerGuy

Henri knows only what you guys tell him about all of this, so he's glad to help (especially with outdoors-stuff) and will generally follow along to help.

As a player I am game with anything specific that has been presented as story-related.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Henri knows only what you guys tell him about all of this, so he's glad to help (especially with outdoors-stuff) and will generally follow along to help.

As a player I am game with anything specific that has been presented as story-related.
    They have reported before, and I would assume that if Henri was on the boat, he heard (at least some rumours). But while scouting in the forest, Laurelata can give him a more thorough briefing.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Titan in the Playground

freaking.

My dice don't want Jessica to be particularly well received, it appears.

20. - Top - End - #350

NecromancerGuy

Is the trio out exploring within earshot of the injured farmers crying out in pain?

21. - Top - End - #351
    Titan in the Playground

It seems unlikely to me, but I could be wrong. It's not a small island, and the village is fairly distant from the edge of the treeline.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ettin in the Playground

Is the trio out exploring within earshot of the injured farmers crying out in pain?
    Nope. You are an hour and a half into the wilderness and might be back in maybe just under an hour if you make it straight (half that in you are in a hurry). No way you could hear that. Also, tha trail you've found is reasonably fresh, but not extra hot. It was probably made some time in the morning, one to several hours ago.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I think we made the mistake again of splitting up the party.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll wait for DarkOne to agree or disagree with the rest. Will post the village events at the same time.

25. - Top - End - #355

NecromancerGuy

I'm about to post that Henri follows the others' lead. Don't wait on me unless you have other reasons, please.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ettin in the Playground

If you don't want to sneak closer of anything, just climb the trees (whoever is climbing them; you can take 10; a failure might or might not be loud enough, we'll see) and have your surprise round. I'll roll initiatives after that round. The wind is marginal here under the trees and you expect it to be even less in the ravine below. Looking up at the treetops you expect it to blow from (1d12)[8] o'clock relative to you looking at the boars.

27. - Top - End - #357

NecromancerGuy

So, I'm not a hunter in real life, but I know wild boars are dangerous and not to be trifled with. I'm playing Henri cautious (until he gains the ability to rage at level 3), so if we can climb trees here and take our first free shots, that's what he would recommend. Better to hit a boar, weaken it, have it either charge ineffectually or run off, and then repeat the process till we start to get some kills.

Mechanically we could consider this a hunting skill check, using Survival and other skills if you'd like. I'm not sure that would earn XP, but I'm also not trying to squeeze out XP for this encounter if that doesn't make sense. If you want it to be combat, I am fine with that too, though hopefully it will be one-sided since the boars won't have ranged options (unless they are really weird...and scary...and monstrous...).

28. - Top - End - #358

NecromancerGuy

If you don't want to sneak closer of anything, just climb the trees (whoever is climbing them; you can take 10; a failure might or might not be loud enough, we'll see) and have your surprise round. I'll roll initiatives after that round. The wind is marginal here under the trees and you expect it to be even less in the ravine below. Looking up at the treetops you expect it to blow from (1d20+2)[21] o'clock relative to you looking at the boars.
    Climb check (taking 10) is a 15. From there, do you just want an attack roll? If so, here's Henri's: Longbow to hit (1d20+2)[21], (20x3) (1d20+2)[6], piercing damage (1d8)[8], critical strike damage (2d8)[6]

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    I'm assuming the others would "sell" a portion to Jessica, though to be honest I'm not quite clear on exactly where the math comes down.
    I went with standart 5 cp worth of good meal sans the drinks, broken down into 3 sp worth of cooked meat and 1 sp worth of veggies, which would be a poor meal by themselves. The drinks are in fact available, but would cost extra. These are somewhat inflated tavern-type prices, but hey, the first day of good food is definitely counts as "dining out".

30. - Top - End - #360
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Boar stew is basically what I had at Christmas eve, so yes, it could count as dining out.