New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Ruins of Azlant OOC

What details can you share about Lyra, the NPC cartographer, u-b? It seems likely that Henri will develop a close working relationship with her, given his proclivities to be outdoors and her profession. Henri's social skills suck, but he would be an enthusiastic guard and assistant. Would you like me to post to this effect?

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ettin in the Playground

Lyra Heatherly (yes she's a half-elf). If you want to know more, you dig it IC.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Titan in the Playground

It looks like Jessica's best mechanical option is the generic skilled labor choice. The rules suggest dividing by 10, (for working 5-days in a week) but with two weeks worth of work to be done, it's the same thing as just not dividing by 10. Almost all of the skills are listed in the context of earning capital. Depending on your ruling, I'd like to use one of those skills to earn gold as well. Alternatively, perform is explicitly listed for that purpose. At any rate, step 1 is the d20.

(1d20)[16]

In the case that you'd allow linguistics or diplomacy to be used for earning money, it's a +7 modifier. I can see linguistics mattering as a scribe or documenting important details. Obviously, that was a factor with the previous wave of colonists. I would suspect it will be here also. She also knows several languages, and can gladly translate as needed. Diplomacy is listed as an appropriate means for producing all four of the capital options. I can't come up with a direct function for gp off the top of my head. In the case of diplomacy, the mod would be +11 +12- (forgot to level her up before counting) (might as well use the religion trait I'm carrying around).

Alternatively, the modifier for perform is just +4.

Let me know, please.

4. - Top - End - #394

NecromancerGuy

I'm trying to understand the downtime rules but am not sure I have a clear direction for Henri to take. Is it possible to apply the Survival skill using these rules? Perhaps to help collect supplies for the colony? Food and anything special that might be useful and such? If so, I think for now Henri would like to turn his effort into GP, since it is at least flexible in use...

Survival - (1d20+7)[17]

From here what do I need to do?

5. - Top - End - #395
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    It looks like Jessica's best mechanical option is the generic skilled labor choice. The rules suggest dividing by 10, (for working 5-days in a week) but with two weeks worth of work to be done, it's the same thing as just not dividing by 10. Almost all of the skills are listed in the context of earning capital. Depending on your ruling, I'd like to use one of those skills to earn gold as well. Alternatively, perform is explicitly listed for that purpose. At any rate, step 1 is the d20.

[roll0]

In the case that you'd allow linguistics or diplomacy to be used for earning money, it's a +7 modifier. I can see linguistics mattering as a scribe or documenting important details. Obviously, that was a factor with the previous wave of colonists. I would suspect it will be here also. She also knows several languages, and can gladly translate as needed. Diplomacy is listed as an appropriate means for producing all four of the capital options. I can't come up with a direct function for gp off the top of my head. In the case of diplomacy, the mod would be +11 +12- (forgot to level her up before counting) (might as well use the religion trait I'm carrying around).

Alternatively, the modifier for perform is just +4.

Let me know, please.
    You can also provide religious and magical services to the colony. I assume that people will fall, trip, have accidents and will need healing. Not all require spells, but the heal skill can be very useful in a colony like this. Going out with Henri and Lyra can be used to gather the herbs needed to treat people. A few skill ranks in profession (herbalist) and you're good to go in that direction.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    Is it possible to apply the Survival skill using these rules? ... From here what do I need to do?
    I was actually planning to write up a payday event, when it is found out that Milo Cattenbury is not serving as Lyra's assistand, but Henri does. Then Henri would be offered the backpay, the position, etcetera. Go ahead and write it yourself. Survival would work for the job. Also, it is a roll per day, if you do it rolled, but for gp it is simpler to always take 10 instead.

Diplomacy is fine for all management roles, so assuming Jessica wants to do some of the sort, go ahead and describe what she does. Again, if you do it for money, always taking 10 is simpler.
    Last edited by u-b; 2021-02-14 at 01:45 PM.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by u-b View Post
    Diplomacy is fine for all management roles, so assuming Jessica wants to do some of the sort, go ahead and describe what she does. Again, if you do it for money, always taking 10 is simpler.
    Duly noted. I'll take 10 in the future, and have written up a description for the immediate events.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Titan in the Playground

(1d2)[1]
    1 is wilderness
    2 is village

9. - Top - End - #399

NecromancerGuy

@u-b - Was that an "11" on the attack roll of the trap? Or did Henri take 18 damage?

Thanks!

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ettin in the Playground

Attack roll, yes. It's a miss.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

It looks like Laurelata is a ghost, while Henri is carrying that sign with 'The heroes are here'.

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

12. - Top - End - #402
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

knowledge(dungeoneering): (1d20+3)[7]

13. - Top - End - #403
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I'm first going to let the others do something.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Does Hewitt has a cure potion (or a cure spell) or something?

15. - Top - End - #405
    Troll in the Playground

Nope I have nothing that heals. If we had a wand of cure light wounds or if my eidolon had the cure light wounds (Sp), I could help but I got nothing.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

16. - Top - End - #406
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I have a potion of cure light (and 1 rank in heal), so I hope I'm just in time. You can keep up the fight (I just damaged the gobbo a bit).

17. - Top - End - #407
    Titan in the Playground

Well, by the numbers, Jessica will survive (as long as you guys do).

@u_b, I'd like to formally open channels for discussions of retraining? In this case, specifically, I'd be wanting to abandon the cleric archetypes that forbid Jessica from using armor.

Let me know how strict you want to be about RAW, and I'll look into the possibilities.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

You can use this near-death experience as catalyst for the change. If there's one thing that will change you, it will be an experience like that.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    In this case, specifically, I'd be wanting to abandon the cleric archetypes that forbid Jessica from using armor.

Let me know how strict you want to be about RAW, and I'll look into the possibilities.
    This campaign will not feature retraining hit points. All other options are left open. There are two other clerics in the settlement, so dropping archetypes won't be problematic. You will still need the gold (or you can substitute the influence) and time (let's say 10 days total to drop two archetypes). Gaining archetypes after that might be more tricky and will merit another discussion (you'll probably do it self-trained and influence won't help).

20. - Top - End - #410
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think I plan to pursue any other archetypes. That said, we're still talking about 100g (or the equivalent influence), and 10 days of downtime, so it won't be happening in any immediate sense. At least now I've got something to pursue with downtime.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I think that crit will take care of the last one in melee. Now we just need to know how many rounds we can try to take the last one down.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Forgot to add the holy damage to the bow: (2d6)[12] (as 16 might actually be a hit).

EDIT: if it's a hit, it's probably dead now.
    Last edited by farothel; 2021-04-04 at 10:00 AM.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ettin in the Playground

Good enough. I rolled it too and was writing a post putting the runner at zero hit points, but let's use yours, it'll be quicker and it's not like he'd run from you anyway. You got them all.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by farothel View Post
    appraise: (1d20+7)[25]
    The gemstone is an onyx. By homeland's retail prices it would be worth 200gp.

The dice would be worth about 75gp based mainly on worksmanship (pure silver content would not worth that much). You estimate the price could be raised if you can slap a really good story on them, but that would require both the story and a first-hand account of it at the point of sale.

Now that Lightburn is with you and you are back to full health, what do you do? Sticking around? Going home?

25. - Top - End - #415

NecromancerGuy

Henri is back to 100% after the heals, so he would be content to either stay and study the ruins or explore the area to find the goblin tribe(s). However, I understand Hewitt might be low on spells, and others get a vote.

I am flexible, but understand the value of discretion. Henri will support wherever the others go.

26. - Top - End - #416

NecromancerGuy

What does Lightburn look like? Is it clearly extraplanar, or more like an animal?

27. - Top - End - #417
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    What does Lightburn look like? Is it clearly extraplanar, or more like an animal?
    Here is a link to Lightburn's char sheet: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2095103
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ettin in the Playground

29. - Top - End - #419
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I assume that this day we start out with Lightburn with us?

30. - Top - End - #420
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, Henri can see what's there and there is no clear entrance to any dungeon or such. As for making sense of it without entering, you can attampt a trained know (enginiering) with DC 15.