New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Ruins of Azlant OOC

Quote Originally Posted by farothel View Post
    "True, but if these things can pop up just about everywhere," Laurelata said, "I don't think we can't let the others come on land. They wouldn't be safe, especially the kids. Maybe we can try to dig up one of the holes and see where it leads to?"
    @u-b: This is something I wondered about. Are there actually any children on the boat? I think Tazmara's thoughts will be a bit different if that is the case, but I couldn't find any evidence that there necessarily would be.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

I was gonna say, we definitely need clarification. In my head, there are absolutely zero children on this ship, unequivocally. Obviously, I could be wrong, and it would radically shape Jessica's response (and probably sort of invalidate a few I've already written, but I can burn that bridge when we get there).

In addition, the players guide led me to believe that the only colonists being sent were all hearty adults, at least well warned that they were not going someplace safe, if not actually prepared for the harshness of wilderness. I kinda figured that we were sent ahead not because we're any more capable than the others, but just because someone has to. Honestly, I figured expendability had more to do with our selection than ability.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Yes, the expend ability is one of the few abilities that goes down as you level up.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground

No children colonists on board, that's for certain. At most, it's one cabin boy that will stay with the ship, and I doubt even that.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ettin in the Playground

These are magical beasts, not just natural creatures, but Hewitt probably can say they would eat anything that moves. He is not sure whether they would eat something that does not.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ettin in the Playground

Some of the houses will have signs of some debauchery and feature choker footprints leading in and out. Please specify how much time you are going to spend and I'll write what you have discovered. I'll move you onto the ship some time tomorrow.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

My preference would be just enough time to ensure that there's no immediate risks. Maybe 3 or 4 minutes per house, unless we find something alarming along the way.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    My preference would be just enough time to ensure that there's no immediate risks. Maybe 3 or 4 minutes per house, unless we find something alarming along the way.
    I agree. Looking in all hooks and crannies and making sure there's no holes in the floor.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Yes - a quick look. Enter houses, quick perception to ensure there is no goblin with a lampshade on its head or something. If anything looks particularly interesting (e.g. journals), Taz would investigate those for a few minutes (last entries) and take them.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground

I am fine with moving along to check houses or report.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

u-b's recent post mentioning additional chokers got me thinking whether we actually checked that farmhouse for clues.

Quote Originally Posted by u-b View Post
    There's a barrel of beer in the house (or, more like, half a barrel of beer now), which seems pretty roll-able. Otherwise, the interior of the house contains only simple wooden furniture and an assortment of common household and personal items. This state of this house is disarray, with chairs and tables flipped over, blankets torn to shreds, and produce such as corn and melons gnawed upon and then discarded to rot on the floor. Looking at it all over, Jessica is initially less than enthusiastic about digging through junk, junk, and formerly good items that are now junk. Being thorough about searching everything, she notices a loose floorboard that seems to bear marks of it being pulled from its place, destroying the grooves linking it to the adjacent floorboards in process, and then re-placed back. She tries to pull it out and then calls Marius to help, but the floorboard seems to be nailed back rather firmly.

Spoiler
    Show
    Jessica strength: (1d20+2)[7]
    Marius strength: (1d20+3)[9]
    We did, but we pretty clearly missed something... we should revisit that when back on shore.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I had Laurelate take some smaller things, say max 50gp worth of trinkets. She's not going to load up, unless the others do so as well.

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SanguinePenguin View Post
    u-b's recent post mentioning additional chokers got me thinking whether we actually checked that farmhouse for clues.
    At least they should be solitary hunters judging by their hunting style of ambush hunting.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by farothel View Post
    I had Laurelate take some smaller things, say max 50gp worth of trinkets. She's not going to load up, unless the others do so as well.
    I only took the spellbook and that is just to research what magic was being researched (also ratfolk like to collect stuff that may be valuable so its not like I am planning on selling it either). It may help solve the mystery. Mechanically speaking, the book is useless for my char since he is an spontaneous caster.
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DaOldeWolf View Post
    I only took the spellbook and that is just to research what magic was being researched (also ratfolk like to collect stuff that may be valuable so its not like I am planning on selling it either). It may help solve the mystery. Mechanically speaking, the book is useless for my char since he is an spontaneous caster.
    Yes, but maybe you can convert them to Pages of Spell Knowledge. Knowing our DM I assume this would require craft wondrous items as a feat, but maybe something can be worked out.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

If it didn't require the feat, that would be something of an outrageous power boost to the sorcerer ;-)

Regarding the farmhouse with the choker, my impression was that we missed something like a hidden cache. I don't see how anything could have retreated down a trapdoor and then nailed it shut behind them, and I also get the impression that the chokers are unlikely to be super cooperative- even with each other.

So I want to go look at it again, but not in a "risk assessment" sense, more like finding all the loots.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    The eagle knight mockingly moans in Jessica's direction: Now if these bruises would just magically vanish,l like if a beautiful and pious priest would perform a small miracle.
    There are two other clerics on board. Ramona does not offer to send them ashore, but you can be healed to full any time you are back to the ship.

In other news, I'm playing a summoner character in other game and, reading more of the rules, it seems the eidolon does not have to disappear at negative hit points because it is an exception and it has life link. I am not sure if life link ought to kick in at zero hit points or at minus CON for this game. By RAW it seems to be the later, but I see a few problems with it, so your choice (make it now). Anyway, I'll let you summon Lightburn today if you want to. It will appear stable at 0 hit points and could be healed as normal.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by u-b View Post
    There are two other clerics on board. Ramona does not offer to send them ashore, but you can be healed to full any time you are back to the ship.

In other news, I'm playing a summoner character in other game and, reading more of the rules, it seems the eidolon does not have to disappear at negative hit points because it is an exception and it has life link. I am not sure if life link ought to kick in at zero hit points or at minus CON for this game. By RAW it seems to be the later, but I see a few problems with it, so your choice (make it now). Anyway, I'll let you summon Lightburn today if you want to. It will appear stable at 0 hit points and could be healed as normal.
    I wouldnt mind having him back. Personally, I prefer playing with my eidolon than using other summons (more roleplaying chances).

I´ll gladly take the offer. Thanks!
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DaOldeWolf View Post
    I wouldnt mind having him back. Personally, I prefer playing with my eidolon than using other summons (more roleplaying chances).

I´ll gladly take the offer. Thanks!
    Just a suggestion, not a command. You're usually only playing Lightburn, where especially at low level your actual character could be of help (flanking, shooting at baddies etc.) Plus you actually have a scimitar to fight with, and I built Marius in a way that can cover for your AC (even though you really should wear armor).

If all these choices are deliberate, I am fine with that.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll write IC some time tomorrow, assuming you all agree to go back onshore and gather together with Ramona, Anya and Alba to discuss the details. Alba is a middle-aged dwarf woman with a starting attitude of Friendly. It's Diplomacy DC 10 to make that Helpful and/or another check to "give dangerous aid" to have her go with you. Ramona will give Aid Another for +2.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Taz will also want to go get a crowbar from Brady, but she is still asking Ramona questions.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

IC tomorrow, but she is not answering without first consulting the docs anyway.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    Just a suggestion, not a command. You're usually only playing Lightburn, where especially at low level your actual character could be of help (flanking, shooting at baddies etc.) Plus you actually have a scimitar to fight with, and I built Marius in a way that can cover for your AC (even though you really should wear armor).

If all these choices are deliberate, I am fine with that.
    I understand what you mean and its pretty simple to explain. First, there is the issue with size penalty to carrying capacity. I dont want to end up reducing my speed and I can carry less than the rest (I went against giving it a penalty to str just because of that). Secondly, since my char is mainly the arcane caster of the team, I am trying to be careful on what to engage in these early level (especially since my characters tend to be unlucky on the forums when taking hits. Its not that rare for me to be on the receiving end of max damage confirmed crit.). My plan does include getting some armor down the line though which brings me to the third reason about my plan. Since we are using rules for building and one important aspect of my character is create a shop and make it grow, I am trying to save some money for it.

Now, that I have explained my reasoning, I would like to thank you for the feedback. I think you brought some good points and it is making me consider geting a crossbow while I wait for the feat to engage physically in combat.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground

Expect my post some time tomorrow.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

I don't have anything to add but agreement with the sentiment of urgency. I'm kind of pleased I didn't miss a whole lot, but I'm done driving across the country (at least until July), and am eager to, as they say, get on with it! Smoke if you want, and otherwise, we can go about hunting ankhegs until we're satisfied.

In case you don't already know.

Classic.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

I don't assume Anya has Hunter's Bond yet. Also Perception to use Freebooter's Bane on the nymph.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Perception roll. (1d20+6)[17]

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I also need two rolls, a perception and a confirmation as it was a natural 20

perception: (1d20+7)[14]
    confirmation: (1d20+3)[8]
    extra crit damage: (2d6)[7]

Edit, I don't think I have a confirmed crit here. But at least I have a hit.
    Last edited by farothel; 2020-06-20 at 07:48 AM.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Perception: (1d20+5)[11]

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

Perception for Jessica: (1d20+2)[21]