New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Default How well would this archer build work out?

For an archer 6 battle master —> 4 gloom stalker —> 4 Kensai —> 12 battlemaster.

Same amount of attacks on round 1 as a 20 fighter, bonus action from Kensai that adds a little oomph to all ranged attacks, hunters mark, 6 ASI’s to get sharpshooter, max DEX and WIS and elven accuracy, as final ASI prob take alert or magic initiate to get some cantrips and a familiar for some rp and utility?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: How well would this archer build work out?

Personally I'd go 5 battlemaster / 3 gloomstalker / 12 battlemaster since our campaigns have a max level of 20.

You're already getting enough ompf for your first round, and having an extra attack with stronger/more battle maneuvers being more useful for longer fights, moreso if you pickup crossbow expert and have an extra attack for your bonus action.

Also, it's harder to RP while having so many multiclasses.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

I like gloomstalker.

I would make this the base. 12 levels.

Then add in battlemaster and kensai as needed.

But I would begin fighter for con saves.

Gloomstalker will give you wisdom saves at 7th. Your dex will be +5. With absorb elements handy you'll be fine there.

It's 2 attacks not 3. But it will work. Once your wisdom is high enough you can dump your armor.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Farkon View Post
    Personally I'd go 5 battlemaster / 3 gloomstalker / 12 battlemaster since our campaigns have a max level of 20.

You're already getting enough ompf for your first round, and having an extra attack with stronger/more battle maneuvers being more useful for longer fights, moreso if you pickup crossbow expert and have an extra attack for your bonus action.

Also, it's harder to RP while having so many multiclasses.
    The build I linked is 20 levels, 12 bm, 4 gloom, 4 Kensai. :)

Rather add 1d4 to all my other attacks with Kensai than use the most illogical weapon in the game flavor vice. :) as for rp, An archer fighter that honed his woodsman instincts while spending a couple of years alone in the wilderness and later decided to spend a couple of years in a monastery of battle monks to further both his archery and his up til then lacking close combat ability(learns to use long sword with grace). :) not an odd combo of classes really.
    Last edited by Spacehamster; 2020-01-26 at 04:48 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Nobody in the Playground Moderator

Yes it would be a solid build mechanically. May as well sneak a single level of War Cleric in there for Guidance, Mending, Bless, Divine Favor, and a Bonus Action attack that you can use 5 times per day.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Maybe, if you can afford the 13 charisma, 13 dex, and wisdom.... grab warlock instead and hexblade… now you eldritch smite on top of your hex and sharpshooter. Get find familiar this way.

Seriously, I think tanking gloomstalker for 4 levels feels wasteful with at 6th level (if using the UA) you can grab roving, canny, or tireless... and wisdom save proficiency

Battlemaster, warlock, kensai even has a very cool feel to it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by djreynolds View Post
    Maybe, if you can afford the 13 charisma, 13 dex, and wisdom.... grab warlock instead and hexblade… now you eldritch smite on top of your hex and sharpshooter. Get find familiar this way.

Seriously, I think tanking gloomstalker for 4 levels feels wasteful with at 6th level (if using the UA) you can grab roving, canny, or tireless... and wisdom save proficiency

Battlemaster, warlock, kensai even has a very cool feel to it.
    The 13 cha gets in the way when you want to have two scores high and one decent already, but as the guy above said, could drop 1 level from gloom and add 1 level war cleric for the bonus attacks, three levels gloom is less wasteful no?

Adventure would probably be dungeon of the mad mage, so will start at level 6 which means sharpshooter already from our free feats at 1, elven accuracy for triple advantage and +1 DEX and maxed DEX from level 6 ASI. Not 100 about elven accuracy tho as not sure how often an archer without assassin level 3 ability gets advantage.
    Last edited by Spacehamster; 2020-01-26 at 04:44 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Spacehamster View Post
    For an archer 6 battle master —> 4 gloom stalker —> 4 Kensai —> 12 battlemaster.

Same amount of attacks on round 1 as a 20 fighter, bonus action from Kensai that adds a little oomph to all ranged attacks, hunters mark, 6 ASI’s to get sharpshooter, max DEX and WIS and elven accuracy, as final ASI prob take alert or magic initiate to get some cantrips and a familiar for some rp and utility?
    Hi!
    It's fine and will work well, although honestly I'd be more partial to 4 BM / 12 Kensei / 4 Gloomstalker (or even 3 BM / 14 Kensei / 3 Gloomstalker).

3rd attack is great, no doubt about it, but...
    - Being able to stack a +3 on top of a +2 to all my longbow attacks for (usually) the whole fight...
    - AND get every attack magical whatever weapon I use...
    - AND getting great mobility to get optimal vantage point bypassing cover (wall running, extreme speed)...
    - AND being able to laugh in the face of most attackers (kiting melee ones, deflecting occasional arrow, getting high AC and lower crit risk with Dodge as bonus action).
    - AND being able to seamlessly switch to melee when needed without any need to change weapon, invest in a feat or lose efficiency...

Is "better" imo, at least to my taste: what you lose in manoeuvers (one more die, one die size) and pure offense (one less attack) is largely compensated by a much higher resilience, accuracy and per arrow damage (you can basically choose between extreme accuracy and normal damage, or normal accuracy and extreme damage).
    Of course in my mind Hunter's Mark is a spell to keep only for the very, very big enemies where every extra bit of damage counts. Otherwise keep slots for utility or at low levels attempt an Ensnaring Strike?

And Elven Accuracy is basically superfluous here except at very high level where you may hope for a friend having Foresight or so. Otherwise, same as in another thread, I fail to see how you could reliably generate advantage to trigger Elven Accuracy, at least by yourself. Having a friend with Faerie Fire or Greater Invisibility for you is not that far-stretched ;). Even so, I don't think you would need it often anyways until very high level.

I would have a very different opinion if you said you planned on grabbing Crossbow Expert to point-blank shot people in the face, because then Elven Accuracy would definitely be worth if used in tandem with a powerful Shoving melee ally. :)