Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Question Mail Client suggestions

I have been using various versions of Outlook for many years (and Eudora before that) and I am currently running Office 14 Outlook storing my emails in PST files (going back over 10 years) that are included in my backup plan.

All was well until my ISP informed me that they will stop supporting "old mail clients" from 3rd February (acutally it is Yahoo as my ISP gets Yahoo to supply it's email services). I am not prepared to switch to web-based email for everything - it relies on a connection being up, potentially one will end up having to pay for storage, increasingly one has to wait for adverts to load, and no web-browser UI is eve as good as a decent dedicated UI because it has to be something the web browser can handle.

My first thought was to switch ISPs again, but checking out Google Mail shows that other mail providers are likely to follow suit - Google require you to turn on "support less secure apps" (in about 3 places) to use versions of Outlook earlier than O365 or Office 2019, this suggests to me that a major security change has happened that I missed.

So, can anyone recommend a decent mail client that is modern enough to keep the email providers happy, and can also read/import my PST files so I keep my mail archive?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Mail Client suggestions

PST is a proprietory Microsoft format, so you may have difficulties finding a client that will do this.

This article suggests that you can import mail from an existing installation to Thunderbird, but I don't know if Thunderbird is "modern" enough for the likes of Yahoo. I also don't know if it can handle PST files attached to the Outlook client (Copying the contents of the PSTs back to outlook for the transfer would work, but may be counterproductive).

Is there any reason you can't stick with your current version of Outlook just to read the PST files, and move on to a new email client for ongoing emails? (Apart, obviously, from the overhead of having to use two programs).

If you are losing access to the Outlook client, there are various options for reading PST files without using Outlook (1, 2)
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2020-01-26 at 08:22 AM.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

The only client I still use is Pine (technically Alpine, now.) I'm satisfied with it. It does all the email things I care about, and doesn't have any glaring flaws I've noticed.

There may be some Stockholm syndrome involved, since it's been the only option for at least one of my email accounts for 22 years or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I ended up going with Thunderbird (though Windows Mail would probably have worked) and everything seems fine so far.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'd guess they're dropping mail clients with no or weak TLS support. Fortunately, Thunderbird is kept updated with the latest and best TLS support.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Arutema View Post
    I'd guess they're dropping mail clients with no or weak TLS support. Fortunately, Thunderbird is kept updated with the latest and best TLS support.
    And, so far as I can tell, they eventually dropped Thunderbird too (beginning of March). (Unfortunately Sky's customer support doesn't support Thunderbird, so they could not confirm what happened.)

What I have done is switched my forwarding back to BT from Sky. (BT, in theory, only keep your email account active for a few months after you leave them, it's been years and they are not charging me for it.)

I did look at Windows mail, but from my brief attempt it appeared to be everything I hate (no way to store emails in a defined file/folder for backup and transfer, no way to turn off the reading pane etc.).