New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Ringworld

1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

PaladinGuy

Default Ringworld

I made some improvements over the Larry Niven design.
    For one thing its bigger, 115 million miles in radius, it takes ten days to complete a rotation around the Sun. The Sun is a star known to us as Alpha Centauri A, there is a companion star Alpha Centauri B, the time is 100,000 years in the future. The shadow squares of Larry Niven's design are replaced with a ring of mirrors 107 million miles in radius, this ring does not rotate, or at least the part holding the mirrors doesn't rotate, it is an orbital ring. As the ringworld rotates around the mirror ring, it creates the illusion of the Sun rising and setting, the diagram shows in what way this is accomplished. The period of daylight is 12 hours followed by 12 hours of night.
    A wormhole from the planet Mars in the present connects to another planet orbiting Alpha Centauri B.https://www.reddit.com/r/IsaacArthur...n_a_ringworld/
    Last edited by Tom Kalbfus; 2020-01-26 at 01:52 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Ringworld

I fixed the link, it links to reddit Isaac Arthur, and from there you can see the diagram I made. I tried to show the diagram directly here but it didn't work.