Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536 LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1057
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: BSF: Red Sun Rising(OOC)

Thanks for sharing a bit more of your thinking Zman! I hesitate to offer any detailed feedback because when it comes to systems design I literally have no idea what I'm talking about. From a layman's perspective though, I always appreciate simplicity. It seems like what you're proposing definitely enhances that, but also retains a good deal of nuance - so maybe best of both worlds.

To give a separate example, I love the HP/WP concept. Perhaps this isn't unique to BSF, but you've implemented it in a super elegant way. It is more complex that the early edition D&D Hit Points system, but is still very easy to grasp, and feels far more satisfying. I think that's the type of thing to aim for if designing for (simplicity+nuance loving) players like me. Come to think of it, probably far more easier said than done, haha. One way or another though, I think you've got a great system so far.

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rs2excelsior View Post
    Seems reasonable on first glance. I feel like the DC being relative to the base difficulty level would take some getting used to, but should work out in the end.

Just as a quick sanity check comparison, Cassius currently has 67 skill points - 6 from level, 40 from background, 21 from skill. He has 2 skills at expert, 9 at trained, and 2 with skill ranks but still counting as untrained. If I'm understanding correctly, he'd need 13 skill points under the new system to get that (11 to raise all the trained/expert skills to trained, then two more to get the two expert skills). He has 2 ranks in acuity and 3 in skill, which would give him 16 skill points, plus whatever he'd get from his background (which is right now almost 2/3 of his skill point allotment), so if that stays as is he'd get a lot more skills ranks for rather little investment. Not sure if that needs to be tweaked.

Would it be beneficial to add another skill level below trained but above untrained (novice, maybe?) to sort of represent the stage now where you have one or two skill ranks but still count as untrained, differentiated from having no ranks whatsoever? If so, it'd take an additional 13 skill points to replicate his current skill set (an extra level for all his trained or better skills, plus two more at novice level), which would mean he'd need 10 from his background - still a proportionally smaller contribution than now, but closer than being able to replicate the skill set without any background skills. Of course, since you're revamping the skill system, you might not want characters to end up with about the same amount of skills afterwards! Still, though, I think Cassius is at a decent point for a non skill-focused character already.

Double advantage/double disadvantage is the highest level you can roll, correct? If so, under the new system, how would you handle something more than two levels up or down? Would someone with trained proficiency attempting a legendary task (obviously not one gated at legendary) be simply unable to succeed? Would someone with legendary skill attempting a trained task automatically succeed, get double advantage just like if they were trying to do an expert level task (thus the last skill rank has no effect or benefit for this task), or get some other advantage?

Good points all around. I agree that Cassius is at the right point.

It does yield many more skills than current and allows high proficiencies to be easily accessible. I've been debating if the higher proficiencies need to cost more ie 1/2/3/4 for T/E/M/L etc, or must be a pyramid etc.

Where does Cassius end up with Expert costing 2? He'd need 15 points so his acuity and ranks in skill would essentially match that +1 additional trained skill. His background would give some specific skills so he'd end up better off, but not crazy. I would like to see more skill ranks in characters, especially at the trained level. I wanted to avoid a different cost systems altogether, but I keep going back to the 1/2/3/4. Either way it'd be another rule to avoid maxing the "good" skills for 4 pts, now it'd cost 10. It does follow the other patters of opportunity cost and diminishing returns.

Good point about a difference greater than 2 for proficiency being impossible, unless you can manage another advantage, seems reasonable. Or just making a difference of two impossible works as well with the normal max for other advantages/disadvantages being normal and capping at double. And the inverse, having proficiency ranks more than two levels higher makes it an automatic success.

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Titan in the Playground

I haven't done much with the skill system yet, so don't have strong feelings on the proposed change.

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Titan in the Playground

Pathfinder/Golarion goblins would probably consider Bran some kind of deity given his incendiary abilities.

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    Pathfinder/Golarion goblins would probably consider Bran some kind of deity given his incendiary abilities.
    Hmmm, maybe BSF ones too? Some pyrotechnics might awe them into submission I'm thinking like the way the ewoks reacted to C3P0 in Return of the Jedi, haha

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I am kind of guesstimating at what the stories about goblins may say, but it seems reasonable. If any of it goes too far off base let me know.

Idea for a setting element - a clan/tribe/etc of goblins who worship a deity that was actually just an adventuring sorcerer with fire magic. Said sorcerer was very confused when the goblins they had set out to attack start worshipping them instead.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Idea for a setting element - a clan/tribe/etc of goblins who worship a deity that was actually just an adventuring sorcerer with fire magic. Said sorcerer was very confused when the goblins they had set out to attack start worshipping them instead.
    I think you could have a lot of fun with that

8. - Top - End - #1028

Sorry for not posting for a couple of days.

To be clear, the plan is to keep following the greasy tracks to their source, not in a stealthy fashion.

Are you bringing the horses with? Riding? Walking?

And upon contact your first inclination will be to engage them in conversation, right?

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

No worries about not posting; I'm sure lots of IRL things going on for us all!

I'll let the others speak to your questions because I believe Elakas will be in the lead tracking, and Cassius will be the one to do the talking, unless Bran wants to rain down some preliminary shock and awe on our greasy friends.

In the lead up to the encounter though, I vote that the party stays mounted, but when Elakas senses that we're getting close, everyone dismounts and approaches on foot. I'm guessing the wargs will frighten the horses, which might bolt off in separate directions - riders still attached!

What do you all think?

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Titan in the Playground

Scout and talk sounds fine. I assumed the brush was too thick to ride, so we were leading horses.

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

All good!

Also working under the assumption that the brush is too dense to ride/charge through. Assuming that is the case, Cassius is leading Firebrand, and will probably leave him just out of sight when we find the goblins (unless they find us first!). If we do meet the goblins in a more clear area, I'll probably remount so I can use my lance if necessary.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

-----

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Okay, so...we're spotted and likely to be ambushed soon.

This is fine.

13. - Top - End - #1033

Point of clarity, you do not know the scout left the area, only that it was no longer on the hill it used as a vantage point and inadvertently gave away his position.

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

OOC I am aware that chasing the scout hastily is just as likely to have us stumble blind into an ambush as get there before one can be set up, but I doubt that's something Cassius would consider. Or at least he'd think it worth the risk if the payoff is potentially not getting ambushed.

Am I correct in thinking the forest is still too dense to make mounting up actually helpful in terms of speed?

Quote Originally Posted by Zman View Post
    Point of clarity, you do not know the scout left the area, only that it was no longer on the hill it used as a vantage point and inadvertently gave away his position.
    Sure, he might be getting his goblin buddies to set up the welcome buffet for us just on the back slope of the hill

Hopefully that buffet isn't us...

-----

15. - Top - End - #1035

The woods is moderately dense. Mounting up would be somewhat faster, though a large creature like a horse will have more trouble than a medium creature like a wolf.

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

OOC I am aware that chasing the scout hastily is just as likely to have us stumble blind into an ambush as get there before one can be set up, but I doubt that's something Cassius would consider. Or at least he'd think it worth the risk if the payoff is potentially not getting ambushed.
    IC Pip's all in! Let's hope we don't become the main course, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by achesst View Post
    Okay, so...we're spotted and likely to be ambushed soon.

This is fine.
    I'm down with the stoical outlook too. If the goblins do attack, maybe we can turn them into shish kebabs! OK, I'll lay off the terrible food jokes now

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Estre View Post
    IC Pip's all in! Let's hope we don't become the main course, haha.

I'm down with the stoical outlook too. If the goblins do attack, maybe we can turn them into shish kebabs! OK, I'll lay off the terrible food jokes now
    I would prefer flambe.

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zman View Post
    [FROM IC THREAD] Now that the world is a little less anxiety ridden and memorizing every county in PA, I hope to be more consistent.
    My geography knowledge has really expanded too, haha. Crazy days. Hope you're doing well otherwise.

Hope the rest of you all are well too.

@stack -- I like me some flambe, haha. Flaming Bran and the Crispy Critters, coming up

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

[FROM THE IC THREAD} Are we going mounted or on foot? I thought Pip had suggested we mount up. If not, Cassius will leave Firebrand here with the other mounts and run along with the others, although with his armor he can't keep up with Elakas flat-out.
    You're exactly right, Pip did suggest mounting up. My take on it was that Elakas, however, was so keen to pursue the scout that he immediately ran off on foot instead. IC I've got Pip following on foot too (more out of panic than enthusiasm). OOC I think you make a good point about Cassius not keeping up in armor. Pip's in the same boat because of his small-size movement speed.

Since you've posted that Cassius is mounted, I'll wait to see what Bran does, then post that Pip is inspired by Cassius' example and have him run back and mount up! Then we can all hopefully fall into preempt the goblin ambush together, haha

edit: I just realized Stack *did* post for Bran. I'll get something IC up for Pip now.
    Last edited by Estre; 2020-11-12 at 08:47 AM.

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Yup, you got it. The thinking members will most likely be mounted. Elakas, in his haste, is just running off as fast as he can track and hoping others end up following him.

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I'll leave it up to achesst whether Cassius brought Beatrice along - if you'd prefer having her close to hand, I will say he did; otherwise he'll leave her back where we set off.

-----

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

It's more convenient for me, and I think Cassius probably wouldn't have left a horse alone in the woods. He's quite a bit smarter about caring for his surroundings, I think.

Anyway, I'm definitely not going to engage alone. Heck, I got pretty knocked about by the Ettercap (HP luckily, not WP) and that was with the group. Elakas is going to realize he's quite a bit out ahead and not just shoot wildly.

23. - Top - End - #1043

Ok, Elakas is stopping just shy outside of the clearing. Heíll have sight to whatís going on, but Iíll need to stealth rolls for him. Maybe toss in a couple extra for any Adv/DAdv that might be in play.

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Titan in the Playground

Bran would have healed anyone short on HP. Also, having a breather should help too.

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Stealth Rolls! (plus two extra in case I'm super disadvantaged.)

(1d20+7)[26]
    (1d20+7)[11]
    (1d20+7)[21]

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I think Cassius would ride on out into the open, yes. Although I don't think he'd attack immediately if the goblins don't immediately open fire.

-----

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I think Cassius would ride on out into the open, yes. Although I don't think he'd attack immediately if the goblins don't immediately open fire.
    Pip will follow Cassius. It crossed my mind to have him sneak around to the goblin's flank, but Elakas is already hidden, and a much better shot, so Pip will surprise the goblins with his bluff or persuade skills if it comes to it, haha.

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

@rx2excelsior Ah, the natural 1 roll. Well, we tried diplomacy. I'm guessing it's time to fight some goblins.

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Elakas can only speak common or elvish.

achesst doesn't like attacking first.

Elakas knows that goblins are predisposed to evil, and maybe have a captive. He's contemplating firing an arrow at the one that responded to Cassius and trying to raze this village, since the first attempt at discussion didn't go anywhere.

Would anyone OOC be upset with me if Elakas did that?

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Titan in the Playground

Bran barely speaks common.

I have nothing to contribute to a peaceful solution, but would appreciate targets grouping up and being a bit closer if we need to burninate them.