New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: BSF: Red Sun Rising(IC)

Spoiler
    Show

Strength Save vs Trip DC 12 (1d20+6)[7] for Cassius
    Cassius would be prone, but thanks to his Military Saddle he can't be involuntarily dismounted.
    Last edited by Zman; 2020-12-07 at 07:56 AM.

2. - Top - End - #662
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Elakas Morkasion

Elakas stands out in the open, ignoring the goblins' attacks as if they were no more than biting flies. A nuisance to be swatted away rather than a true threat. He thinks only of finishing them off quickly and going to assist Pip in the search. Silently, he presses the attack.

Spoiler: Actions!
    Show

IF GW2 survives all attacks:

1) Draw arrow and attack GW2 for (1d20+4)[16] for (1d8+1)[7], (1d8+1)[3]
    2) Draw arrow and attack GW2 for (1d20)[7] for (1d8+1)[7], (1d8+1)[9]
    3) Draw arrow and attack GW2 for (1d20-4)[1] for (1d8+1)[7], (1d8+1)[8]

IFF GW2 dies at any time, do all that I still have actions for:

2) Drop bow and move to E25 while quickdrawing rapier
    3) Attack GA2 at (1d20)[13] for (1d6+3)[7]

3. - Top - End - #663
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Felpip Nindlenorn

Fading fortunes move Pip’s thoughts from the whispers of a cave to the roar of battle behind him. Harsh foes are going down, one with scalding screams, but so too are his friends hard pressed.

Each one, seemingly. All, except him.

And then an arrow’s haft humming at Elakas’s armor sets Pip’s teeth on edge; even if the brave elf hasn’t noticed it.

Where is the Luckbringer?

Out of luck, if none remain to find him.

Pip reaches for his weapon. The search must wait, for now.

Spoiler: Pip Actions R3
    Show
    0.5 Draws Crossbow
    1.5 Loads Crossbow
    2.5 Attacks GA1 (1d20+4)[21] for (1d6+1)[7]
    3.0 Take cover in shack

I'm assuming that Pip can fire at the enemy through the doorway or window of the shack he’s in without needing to step back out; also, as Pip currently has his dagger equipped, I'm assuming that the half action to draw his crossbow also covers the process of swapping one weapon for another. If I'm wrong and Pip is unable to draw, load and fire his crossbow from the shack this round, I'll have him walk over to GA3 and attack with his dagger instead. I’ll wait to hear from you first though Zman before posting any changes.

4. - Top - End - #664

Elakas, taking aim at the approaching wolf-mounted warrior wastes no time in downing the mount, forcing its rider to tumble off its back...

Spoiler
    Show

Mount cover for GW2 (1d100)[3]

Mount is dead, involuntariy dismount, GW2 is prone. Treating it as a move and attack him instead of the archer.

Last edited by Zman; 2020-12-09 at 07:41 AM.

5. - Top - End - #665

Elakas quickly steps forward, trying to finish off the Goblin warrior but fails to land the finishing blow on his prone enemy...

Pip, having flanked one of the archers takes quick aim and sends his bolt true, the sound of it penetrating through the goblin and striking the stone it was hiding behind unmistakable...

Spoiler
    Show

Adv for Elakas vs prone GW2
    (1d20)[3] A 13 misses the Warrior's Def 14

Pip kills GA1 D.E.D. DED Taking covers doesn't help you when you get flanked.

Round 3
    Initiative Order
    GA2, GA3, GW1
    Elakas, Pip
    Bran, Cassius
    GW2
    Last edited by Zman; 2020-12-09 at 07:48 AM.

6. - Top - End - #666
    Titan in the Playground

Bran continues to launch flames at the remaining goblins, scorching earth and withering grass.
    Spoiler
    Show
    1+2 Firebomb R36, Dex DC16 for half vs (1d8+2)[7]
    fireblast vs GW1, Dex DC16 vs (1d4+2)[4]

7. - Top - End - #667
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cassius Mortain

With the immediate threats dealt with, Cassius pursues the fleeing wolf rider. He spurs Firebrand after the goblin, leaning down to take a swing at the mount rather than the rider. Dismounted, without the wolf for mobility, the goblin rider would be much less of a threat.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Actions:
    0.5: Reaction (I assume that since an attack came in the shield block triggered and consumed the half action)
    1.5: Move to U32/33
    2.5: Attack the wolf: (1d20+4)[11] (Destiny point reroll in OOC: 6)
    Damage: (1d8+3)[8]
    3.0: Raise shield

If the reaction wasn't consumed, I will spend the extra half action to step to U33/34, make it a little tougher for the wolf rider to disengage.

Side note - I'm assuming no AoO triggered when the goblin moved away since I had already used my reaction, is that correct? In that case that is a pretty big drawback to shield blocking I hadn't considered before - not that I dislike it, it makes the choice matter a lot more (and makes sense thematically, being in a defensive posture doesn't really help trying to suddenly take advantage of an opportunity). Assuming that is the case, I will not shield block this time so I can AoO the goblin if he tries to withdraw again (specifically the wolf, assuming he's still mounted).

If the wolf and rider are both done in by Bran's fire I will instead attack GA3.
    Last edited by rs2excelsior; 2020-12-09 at 01:17 PM.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

8. - Top - End - #668

The launches a volatile ball of flame over the rock a goblin was hiding behind... the Goblin is able to avoid the worst of it and lucky to escape with its life, but it is unable to avoid the horrendous burns the firebomb caused...

As a follow-up he launches yet another more direct bolt of fire at the warrior... who through luck or natural agility avoids the flaming projectile...

Cassius advances, unable to land a felling strike...

Spoiler
    Show

Dex save for GA3 (1d20+5)[23] for half Saved: 4WP = WOunded

Dex save for GW1(1d20+5)[25] BCritical Success; Miss
    Mount Cover 30% (1d100)[23]

Last edited by Zman; 2020-12-10 at 07:40 AM.

9. - Top - End - #669

Goblins

With over half their number dead or maimed and their opponents at full strength, the lead goblin yells something in their shrill tongue. Goblins may be more than willing to stick a knife in your kidney when they've got you outnumbered, but brave and willing to fight to the death they are not.

The Goblins break... scattering towards the surrounding woods and cover, seemingly abandoning their own camp...

Spoiler
    Show

The goblins are retreating. If you want attacks on the retreating, we can figure out what a Run, or double step, double move would have got them.

10. - Top - End - #670
    Titan in the Playground

Bran continues to hurl flames until the goblins are out of range, not moving to pursue them.
    Spoiler
    Show
    fireblast until all are out of range. If they aren't coming back, no need to roll the details. If they are...don't tell us

11. - Top - End - #671
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cassius Mortain

Cassius watches long enough to ensure himself that the goblins are fleeing, then wheels Firebrand around towards the village. The goblins were the least of their concerns - whether they had fled or been killed, they should have free reign to search for the Luckbringer. He approaches the cave, sheathing his sword but keeping his shield at the ready and Firebrand by his side, should things turn violent once more.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

-----

12. - Top - End - #672
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Felpip Nindlenorn

Watching the goblins flee, Pip holds his spent crossbow. Wood grains against his palm, iron trigger, cold, where his fire fingers still press.

So now foes fly. And the one he shot is pinned to a wall.

Cassius, meanwhile, is approaching the cave.

Why is that bad?

Because. Pip shakes his head.

Something inside.

He steps back from the shack, sneaking on stumbling toes, and gestures caution at the approaching knight.

All of them live, all four: he and Elakas and Bran and Cassius.

stay that way. Lady luck, keep us….

13. - Top - End - #673

The Goblin Raider's Cave

The initial group of Goblins, surprised and scattered, flee. The group gathers at the mouth of the cave, nothing but blackness and silence greeting them...

Spoiler
    Show

There doesn't appear to be any lights visible inside the cave mouth, the light from outside will get you some initial visibilty, but not beyond the first 20' or so.

Beyond the opening the cave entrance gets cramped, single file and they are an Enclosed Space(Disadvantage for Two-handed and Versatile weapons, but that shouldn't affect anyone).

It will be tough to lead Firebrand inside, but doable unless the quarters would get much much more cramped.

Everyone gets to catch their breath. Regain your ranks in HP and PP. Post the amounts OOC if you can.

Marching order, light sources, equipment out?

14. - Top - End - #674
    Titan in the Playground

Bran stands wherever he is instructed. He pulls out a torch, lighting it with a snap of his fingers.

15. - Top - End - #675
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Felpip Nindlenorn

Pip looks at the gathered group and whispers: Well met again friends. I fear my inspection of the camp turned up little. In truth, the Luckbringer could lie captive in any one of these hovels around us, but I suspect not. I can say for certain that he was not in the one I visited. What I can also say is that I've heard something in this cave. More, no doubt, of the same creatures we've just fought, and who knows what else besides.

He closes his eyes, then opens them again. I'm small, and I see well in places of low light. I wasn't much help in the fight we just had, but perhaps I can be of greater help here? I'm willing to sneak into the cave and scout inside, if you all wish to remain here for now? I have some Trapwork skills, so may be able to preempt any nasty surprises. And I have a surprise up my own sleeve too -- an arctic crystal bomb -- should I come face to face with living danger.

Of course, though, I'm more than happy to accompany you all into the cave together too, if you prefer. I'll leave the choice up to your good selves.

Show
    Pip didn't take any damage in the fight or manifest anything, so he's at full HP and PP.

If the party accepts his offer, he'll ready his crystal bomb, and enter the cave. I'll add any rolls you tell me to Zman. Presumably Stealth(Move Silently)/(Hide) and Thievery(Trapwork)?

If the party prefers to enter together, Pip will defer to the more martially oriented members and follow Bran's lead by standing in whichever order instructed.

16. - Top - End - #676
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cassius Mortain

"We should check the other huts, just to be sure." He gives the cave a nervous look. "I'm sure you'd be able to go unnoticed better than the rest of us... but it does make me a bit nervous sending you in there on your own. Maybe we can follow at a distance - hopefully, far enough to not raise alarms but close enough to help should there be trouble. What do you all think?" He slings his shield over his back, takes a torch from his pouch, and lights it from Bran's - better to have an extra light source should one go out.

Show
    Cassius heals 3 HP, and has no PP to recover.

Once we go into the cave, he'll have his sword in his right hand and his torch in his left. He'll bring Firebrand into the mouth of the cave, far enough to get him out of sight - I'm thinking 50' or so, but he'll go further if necessary to get him out of sight - then instruct him to stay where he is (and defend himself/run if necessary). I'm not opposed to taking the front spot in the less-sneaky group, unless Elakas would prefer to take point.

-----

17. - Top - End - #677
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Elakas Morkasion

Elakas droops his shoulders and slowly retrieves his bow. Once again he chose violence, and once again it worked out to his benefit. Thelandira would never let a hunt target escape, as the remaining goblins had done, but Elakas wasn't even a hero yet, much less a god.

Switching gears, Elakas listens to the rest of the group's suggestions. It was true that Pip seemed well-equipped to search the cave, and Elakas had learned well last night that forcing himself to "lead" when better options exist was dangerous and foolish.

"An excellent plan, Pip. As Cassius suggested, we'll check the huts while you begin to search the cave. We won't be far behind, but please raise a shout if you should need us. Let us look for any sign of the Luckbringer, and the parcel he was carrying. If worse comes to worst, I think we should be prepared to finish his mission ourselves."

Spoiler: OOC Actions
    Show

Elakas heals 4 HP back to 15/22, and that's about it. Current arrow status 19 after the flurry of these last two fights. Should be fine for another day or two. Or more if we don't have to fight things. :)

I think Pip+Cassius have solid plans here, and Elakas is pleased to go along with it. He's also just a bit worried that someone else is going to call him out for taking the first shot after the group had agreed to try to negotiate.

18. - Top - End - #678

Into the Goblin Raider's Cave

The group takes a few moments to catch their breath. It doesn't take the group long check the hovels scattered around the entrance, unfortunately the search doesn't reveal the luckbringer.

The ominous darkness at the mouth of the cave is banished by the approaching torches held by Cassius and the boy Bran. Elakas, has his bow at the ready, using his keen eyes to see far in front of the his allies to the edges of the light ahead of where Pip was carefully lurking.

Pip, his arctic grenade in hand, Pip is two dozen paces, small gnomish paces, ahead of the group, with a few steps of light in front of him, his gnomish eyes making use of the torch light.

Maybe its his height, allowing him a low vantage point, or his skill in trapwork, but Pip had little difficulty noticing crisscrossed tripwire a few paces ahead in the shadowy light... looking up, way, way up, Pip discovers the spiked log, suspended like a pendulum, waiting to impale an unsuspecting invader...

Spoiler
    Show

Pip notices a trap. It is a Trained level trap. Pip believes he has a reasonable chance of disabling without triggering it. DC15(fail by 5 to trigger, with advantage to the save, fail by 10 and its a normal save). Or, he can point it out to his allies and allow them to bypass it without triggering it. Though, if the group needs to escape in haste they will risk the trap.

19. - Top - End - #679
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Felpip Nindlenorn

Looking up at the trap, Pip cracks his knuckles. That was smart! Will you whistle a tune next to alert the goblins to our presence? He shakes his head. No time for nerves; he was committed as soon as he stepped into the cave, and he’s certainly not going to lose it now and let a spiked log come swinging down on his friends. It’s time for work.

He kneels and gingerly reaches disabling fingers out towards the tripwire.

Spoiler
    Show
    Pip stows his grenade and then attempts to disable the trap without triggering it using Thievery(trapwork). He has an Expert rank (total modifier +8) against a DC15 Trained level trap, so check is at an advantage I believe. Fingers crossed!

Check: (1d20+8)[11] (1d20+8)[16]

20. - Top - End - #680

Pip, taking a moment to bypass the spiked log trap. As he works the trap, the log jostles for a second but does not fall, steadfast he continues his work disabling the deadly trap...

Spoiler
    Show

As written, it took two levels of proficiency to gain advantage(changing in the new version with the larger skill changes).

Failure(Not enough to trigger the trap though) on the first attempt.
    Success on the second attempt.

Trap bypassed.

Better than Dex save or 1d6 Bludgeoning + 1d6 Piercing Damage. Rolling high on a crit from a trap like this is potentially lethal!

21. - Top - End - #681
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Felpip Nindlenorn

Back towards the cave’s mouth, two-dozen steps away, is where his friends are. At least that’s what Pip remembers. He turns and squints into the light. So accustomed to the gloom and tiny tripwires are his eyes that he fancies he sees Cassius first through a taught haze.

When the others draw a little closer, Pip motions to them that it is safe to continue, then he turns again and steps deeper into the cave.

It was a close-run thing his fiddling with those trap wires; a snap could have smashed him to smithereens. Probably would have if his fingers had slipped any more. Now he’s gripping his ice bomb again.

And his eyes are wide open as he advances, and his feet are as quiet as they can be. But most of all he is straining to listen – if tales can tell, then let them be the sound of the enemy.

And at the same time, let that lot hear nothing of us at all.

Show
    Thanks for the explanation on proficiency and trapwork Zman. Phew, that was close!

As when he entered the cave, Pip will continue ahead as stealthily as he can, watching for more traps, but focusing especially on seeing/sensing the enemy before they see him, if at all possible. I’m ready to roll any saves for him that are needed (or get him the hell out of here too in a hurry, haha)

Edit: As per OOC thread, these were Pip's save rolls:

Move Silently: (1d20+7)[21]

Hide: (1d20+6)[24]
    Last edited by Estre; 2020-12-30 at 09:12 AM.

22. - Top - End - #682
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Elakas Morkasion

Elakas watches as Pip makes his way into the cave. He sends a silent prayer Thelandira. "May he find only the Lightbringer, his quarry, and may all other creatures be long gone from that cave." That being finished, Elakas moves to the closest hut and searches. He's not expecting to find anything more than a few simple tools and some bedding, but perhaps a clue or two about the Luckbringer's fate can be found as well. He keeps his ears tuned toward the cave, just in case a friend's cry for help comes from that direction...

Spoiler: Searching
    Show

I'm not sure exactly what roll a search through these huts would be. Maybe a perception spot? Maybe just a Luck roll to see if I'm lucky enough to find anything? Anyway, here's the d20 roll. Perception spot would be +7, straight luck +1.

[roll]1d20[roll]

23. - Top - End - #683

Pip, sticking ahead of his companions finds the tunnel opening into a wider room, the dying embers of a fire casting the barest illumination. Pip steps to the side, silent and next to invisible in the dark...

Off to one side, Pip can hear a long drawn in sniff, followed by a low rumbling growl. The sound of a wolf catching his scent. More concerning are the sharp gibbering of a pair of goblins. The dying fire, wollves, goblings, and his allies approaching maybe 50' back. An ambush.

Spoiler
    Show

Pip is aware of and can roughly locate one wolf and two goblins. They are approximately 20' ahead in two directions.

Room is Near Dark

Spoiler
    Show
    (6d20)[18][5][6][19][14][1](63)

Last edited by Zman; 2021-01-17 at 11:52 AM.

24. - Top - End - #684
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Felpip Nindlenorn

Trying to quiet his breath while still hearing the hammer of his heart, Pip heeds the voice of decision instead. He knows what he will do.

He just has to make sure he's not heard doing it, or, indeed, seen, before the smell of fear gives him completely away.

Quick and subtle as he can, he grasps his ice bomb and prepares to throw it.

Spoiler
    Show
    This is to see if Pip can prepare his surprise attack without being detected. If successful he'll target the growl that he heard (poor wolf - but it's probably the biggest threat to Pip and friends). First things first:

Stealth(Hide) (1d20+6)[10]
    Stealth(Move Silently) (1d20+7)[20]

25. - Top - End - #685

Surprise

Pip, cloaked in darkness, manages to soundlessly retrieve his bomb...

Spoiler
    Show

Cave is basically Pitch Black, only the embers of the fire are throwing light 5'. And the torch Cassius(anyone else) are carrying.

Here is the map and cave characteristics that Pip is aware of.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

26. - Top - End - #686
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Felpip Nindlenorn

Pip lifts his bomb. The enemy makes no sound. Must not have noticed.

So, best not sigh in relief and spoil things!

Instead he throws his icy shard into the dark.

Spoiler: Surprise!
    Show
    1.0 Move to Q31
    2.0 Throw Lesser Arctic Crystal Bomb at Q35 (35')
    --- Finesse Attack (1d20+4)[14] vs DC10
    - If miss: Scatter Direction (1d8)[7]
    - Scatter Roll (2d8)[5]
    -- Damage (1d8+2)[5] 5' Sphere, Cold Damage, DC15 Dex Save
    3.0 Move to P28
    Disadvantage to hit because of distance. Attack roll 2 in OOC thread
    Last edited by Estre; 2021-01-22 at 03:27 AM.

27. - Top - End - #687

Ambush

The bomb, tossed high sails through the black cavern, the sound of cracking ice pierces the cavern and reverberates down the tunnel...

Shouts of pain and surprise rise throughout the room, a pair of growls and four distinct voices in the Goblin tongue...

Spoiler
    Show

Dex Saves Disadvantage due to Flat-footed

G1 (1d20+6)[18] (1d20+6)[25] Success

W1 (1d20+5)[21] (1d20+5)[11] Failure: 5damage, wounded
    Last edited by Zman; 2021-01-25 at 07:42 AM.

28. - Top - End - #688

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative
    Elakas
    GW3, GW1, GW2
    Cassius, Pip
    GW4, W1
    Bran
    W2

Initiatives
    Elakas (1d20+3)[22]
    Pip (1d20+3)[12]
    Bran (1d20+2)[6]
    Cassius (1d20+1)[15]

GW1(1d20+3)[18]
    GW2(1d20+3)[19]
    GW3(1d20+3)[21]
    GW4(1d20+3)[9]
    W1(1d20+2)[5](1d20+2)[7] *Dadv for Wounded
    W2(1d20+2)[3]
    Last edited by Zman; 2021-01-25 at 07:48 AM.

29. - Top - End - #689
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Elakas Morkasion

Elakas, having found nothing of note in the camp, makes his way toward the cave with his friends. The light from Cassius' torch burns brightly against the surrounding darkness. Just as the group tip-toes past what remains of a rather nasty-looking trap, the sound of something shattering pierces the stillness. Elakas, realizing that this must be the start of an attack, rushes past his allies toward the sound of danger, and straight into a darkness his eyes can't penetrate.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Elakas does not have a torch out, sadly, so I'll just have to move toward the sound of the fight.

1-3) Move to Q29 and Quick Draw my rapier.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by achesst; 2021-01-29 at 08:05 AM.