New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 23 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default BSF: Red Sun Rising(IC)

The first day of the rest of your life...

Crossroads Inn- A day's ride east of Baldur's Gate

Your reasons are your own, but you've found yourself enjoying a hot meal in a crowded little inn situated at a crossroads, the place where a pair of roads meet and it's convenient for traveler's to stop. This particular one finds itself located along the Chondathar River near the Fields of the Dead. Like many an inn, this one has had a small hamlet spring up around it. As to why it's crowded, the endless dreary rain explains it well enough. Being the fourth day in the third tenday of Mirtul, known as 'The Melting', you'd expect nothing less than than every wet and dreary traveler and denizen of this morose little hamlet to have crowded inside to enjoy a hot meal, even if the broth is thin and you need to beg the fates to find yourself a piece of gristle.

Spoiler
    Show

Tell us why you're here and if you're connected to anyone else.

OOC Thread
    Last edited by Zman; 2020-01-26 at 06:49 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: BSF: Red Sun Rising(IC)

A boy stands near the fire, a small group of patrons half listening to him tell familiar tales. His clothes are ragged and his pale face dirty. The tale he tells is a common one, known to children throughout the region and there is little embellishment to make it unique, but he is enthusiastic and animated. The scene is only remarkable for his age, not yet a teen, though his gauntness makes a precise estimate of years difficult, and the fire behind him bending to form figures from the story as he tells it. Occasionally a copper falls into the empty mug sitting nearby. Even paying to part of it to the inn, young Bran can still call this a profitable night.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cassius ducks into the crowded room, kicking the mud from his riding boots and shrugging his pack back onto his shoulder. He is a tall and broad-shouldered man, but young, with only the barest scruff of facial hair. He looks around the common room with a pleased expression--a warm room and a dry bed would be welcome for the night. He was cold, wet, and sore from the long ride north from his family's lands in Tethys, all feelings he wasn't particularly accustomed to. It was odd, traveling rough with only what was on his back, no trail of servants and attendants to take care of his needs... it had been a grand adventure so far, despite the discomforts. With Firebrand's lodgings already taken care of in the stables outside, he carefully picks his way through the crowd towards the innkeeper. "Excuse me, good man! A room for the night please, if you have one, and whatever's hot in the kitchens. And a pint of your best ale--I'm thirsty from riding." A flash of silver crosses the counter, and he turns back towards the room, taking in the sights. He probably sticks out like a sore thumb, his riding clothes finer than what many people here were wearing, despite being soaked and muddy.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Pip had been in the inn longer than a short while before he realized that the hood of his cloak was still drawn tight over his head and mouth. Dreary leagues across the Fields of the Dead, touched through by the cold and damp from the ever-grey above, left him feeling that what lay beneath his skin must surely soon be revealed too, so raw did he move inside. But within the inn it was warm and bright, and his itching hood was now actually making him hot.

So, off it came, better to see a cheery place with many faces moving in the firelight – he took good care to stay away from that! Most everyone around towered high above him, which was as intriguing as it was expected. He certainly wasn’t in the little gnomish village now: last several days his lost feet had flown him far on a solitary flight from home. But a gasp in his stomach was crying for attention too, insisting that it was still time to eat, wherever he was.

Off then to find somewhere to sit, and maybe to request some of the steaming soup that many seemed to be eating!

But, how curious eyes will wonder.

His dear mother said that to him all the time, and perhaps she was right, for just then his sight had fallen upon something that was making him forget the pain within his middle. It was a figure speaking and gesturing before a group of others. A little figure, probably just a child – although Pip could never quite be sure with humans. Shadows from the boy’s hands were leaping across the wall. How exciting! Although, the fire behind him seemed to be doing strange things too...

Pip, carried by curiosity, joined the group and listened and watched, far from the flames. And when silence signaled the end, he couldn’t stop smiling, so instead put a silver coin of gratitude in the boy’s cup.

5. - Top - End - #5

Innkeeper- Tall Taum

A tall and gangly man approaching the middling years of his life stands behind the bar, his demeanor brightening when Cassius opens his purse and a glint of realy gods to honest gold flashes his eyes.

With the awkward formal tone the lesser folks take up when greeting nobility, "Gree-greetings M'lord. My apologies about the accommodations, we're near full and our best room has already been rented. But, don't you worry, my wife and myself will board in the commons tonight, you may have our room, it's at least a match for our suite." He fumbles behind the bar, brushing some dust off a bottle, "we've even got a little Evlen firewine if it pleases M'lord? Or if you're set on ale, we've got some Dwarven blackbarrel we could tap special."

Spoiler
    Show

This in is only capable of accommodating Wealth 4, anyone richer has to slum it in the accommodations.

Inkeeper's Wife- Giselle

A plump woman, easily as wide as she was tall, well more like as wide as Pip was tall, made her way across the room carrying two steaming bowls from the common pot. She sets one of them down in front of pip, the edge of the table barely higher than his chest, "That won't do, not at all. I'll be back shortly, I've got a stool that should work better, a nice, high chair for you."

The pleasantly portly woman with a streak of iron grey in her dark hair continued on with the second bowl. If Pip were looking closely, he'd have notice there were a few extra chunks of fatty meat in the second bowl. After a short moment spent watching the young entertainer, she puts the bowl down next to him and pip can hear her say, "Here boy, fatten you up a little bit, you're naught but skin and bones."

Spoiler
    Show

If it isn't too much trouble, putting your character's name in your color and even bolded at the top of each of your posts really helps me when I'm scrolling through thing, and will definitely help when we find ourselves in combat. Thank you!

Now we just need achesst and hannahbug to give us a post. Feel free to continue the RP and scene setting.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Bran Aelfstone

Bran spots the bowl momentarily confused, then apprehensive. The figures in the flames stutter as he loses concentration. I didn't ask for that...Will I have to pay for it? She seemed friendly, is it a gift. Manners, momma would slap me upside the head.

He colelcts himself and smiles at the innkeepers wife, continuing with his performance, trying to wrap up the current tale so he can eat.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cassius

Cassius furrows his brow. "No, no, I couldn't take your and your fine wife's room! I'll have whatever's available, and if it's the common room, so be it!" He's a bit conflicted--the thought of spending a night in a room full of people, without any sort of privacy is alien to him--but on the other hand, he'd feel he's asking far too much for them to vacate their room. "As for the wine, though, that sounds marvelous! The elves know how to make a good wine, eh?"

He goes to take in the sights of the tavern, not unlike his father's halls on a feast night, if with far less finery. The sounds of people talking, laughing, eating, and drinking were about the same, if the language was somewhat more... crude. He notices a young boy telling stories--and is he doing something with the flames, as well? Fascinating? He joins the list of people who've dropped a coin into the small collection cup.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

-----

8. - Top - End - #8

Inkeeper- Tall Taum

The man seems taken aback by Cassius' generosity, "Th-thank you M'Lord. M'Lord is too kind." The man busies himself uncorking the thin bottle, "If M'Lord says so, myself I find it all sugar and fire and lacking substance. Give me a full draught of Giselle's honey mead," he motions over to the plump woman, "the loyalists named it Dishwater, but its only in jest."

Crossroads Inn

The mood is merry on that bleak evening, occasionally the whistle of the wind and the pounding of the rain can be heard between the hoots, hollers, curses, and cheers.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Elakas Morkasion

Suddenly, two figures burst through the door.

The first is a youth, perhaps around 16 years. His appearance is none too remarkable, aside from the blood dripping from his torso. The source of the blood is seeping through some wrapped bandages. He is currently being carried bridal-style by what appears to be a vagabond, perhaps his attacker?

Upon closer inspection, the second man is clearly an elf. Though looking ragged, covered now in mud and blood while clutching the slumped body of the youth, his wild eyes and notably pointy ears give his origin away. His age is somewhere between 100 and 1000, one would guess, but his voice comes out as that of a frightened child. Please, is there a healer here? Does anyone know where I can find one?
    Last edited by achesst; 2020-02-25 at 12:37 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Bran Aelfstone

The interrupts catches the attention of the young performer.The fire returns to it natural shape as he gawks.

After a moment, he sprints over, vomiting a torrent of questions. "Did you get stabbed? Are you a warrior? Was it an adventure? Was there a dragon? What color was the dragon? Did it have wings? Did it eat the princess? Is she pretty? Is that real blood? Can I see? Are you an elf? Can you do magic? Do you live in a tree? Do you bake? The innkeeper is nice."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Elakas Morkasion

Elakas's voice begins to shake and he lays the youth onto a cleared-off table, trying to answer the barrage of questions.

No, kind of, I guess so, no... wait a moment, wait. First this, please. This young one found me on the road; he was bleeding with an arrow in his side. He said something about bandits attacking his family and just said 'Cerra' before collapsing. Please, is there anyone here who can heal him? I don't have much gold but what I have is yours if you can help.

He scans the room looking for a sympathetic face. Most look interested but their body language is standoffish, backing away. The boy that had addressed him before was peering over the body, prodding gently at the bandages and checking for more wounds. A few in the crowd approach. Maybe one of them can help, or at least direct him to someone who can.
    Last edited by achesst; 2020-02-25 at 12:37 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Bran Aelfstone

The boy pauses his stream on consciousness questioning, face darkening at the mention of bandits. After a moment, he snaps back to his surroundings. "Oh, right. I can do that!" He lays a hand on the wounded youth, tongue slipping out the side of his mouth as he concentrates. A warm glow surrounds his hand.
    Spoiler
    Show
    revitalize (1 PP, +2 HP) and stabilize (0 PP) if needed. Will spend more depending on the result.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Felpip Nindlenorn

A slamming sound of commotion nearly makes Pip drop his spoon. He’s been enjoying a delightfully warming broth brought by a thoughtful woman and is sitting and swinging his legs on the tall chair she left for him. He can’t see much over the table, but he’s high enough, almost, to look over his soup bowl.

To the side he can see he’s not the only one whose feet don’t touch the ground. Someone's swinging legs are matching his own. Great! He’s instinctively adopted the local custom and is fitting right in with these humans!

No, wait. The other person is little more than an infant. It shows him pink gums and giggles. Pip harrumphs and looks away. Really should be in bed by now.

That’s when the crashing comes. He can’t see why though because of the broth-steam rising before him, so he stands on his chair to get a better view, and doesn’t check to see if his new little friend is doing the same.

He forgets all about any of that when he sees the clatter has come from a desperate elf holding a grievously-wounded man and asking for help. And no one is responding! Why is that? Why?

Pip has no medical training. He’s seen some pretty nasty troll bites though and sort of remembers how they were treated. Time to step up and work some magic.

Actually, he’s already standing. He leaps from his stool instead and drags a cloth from his pocket. I'll tear it into bandages! But the looms of the heavens themselves must have formed the fibers of his handkerchief so resistant are they to tearing. Instead, blundering around his table, he trips through the crowd, un-rent cloth sailing up to cover his face.

After he snatches it away, he witnesses a marvelous thing. It’s the young performer, hands glowing before the wounded soul. Pip knows little of magic, but he has a good feeling that he's about to see the real thing, and that his hanky will no longer be needed.

In the background a baby giggles.

Pip smiles at the elf. “Felpip Nindlenorn at your service. But please do call me Pip and accept my sincerest best wishes that your charge feels better soon. I'd be delighted to help, if at all I can.”

14. - Top - End - #14

Innkeeper's Wife- Giselle

Upon seeing the commotion, the pleasantly plump woman shouts, "Gods damn it Taum, gets some clean water, I'll get some linens. And bring a jug of 'shine!"

As Bran finds himself next to the unconscious boy, he lays his hands on him, revitalizing him...

Wounded Brother

The boy's eyes open wide and dart around, unable to focus on anything, "Cerra! Cerra! My sister... bandits..." He seems to see those around him, "Find my sister..." He drifts in and out of consciousness again, "Tttt.... ttt... Tymora..."

Spoiler
    Show

HP doesn't "heal" someone, but I'd say you juiced him up enough to make him conscious again for a few moments.

Everyone has heard of Tymora, Lady Luck, the Goddess of Good Fortune.

As the boy drifts unconscious again, Bran lays his hands on him again, trying to stabilize him... and within moments his breathing seems to quiet...

Spoiler
    Show

Con Save (1d20+2)[21] vs DC 15 Success. The boy is grievously wounded but will live. Congrats! He'll be unconscious for a significant period of time.
    Otherwise, this was a Medicine DC20(Expert) check to save his life

The Innkeeper's Wife returns, arms ful of linens and is left a gasp at what transpired, "The boy... magic... Gods have blessed us that you were with us this night boy... he was not long for this world."
    Last edited by Zman; 2020-02-25 at 02:56 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Bran Aelfstone

The boy looks down, blushing, inching away from the scene, suddenly less eager for attention than when performing.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Elakas Morkasion

Elakas addresses what he assumes to be a young dwarf who has just approached. He touches his hand to his muddy hood and says,

A pleasure too meet you, Pip. I am called Elakas. And you,

Elakas turns to look at the boy. He had seen enough magic to not be stunned at a healer being in their midst, but one so young caught him off guard. Still, the boy had saved a life, and that meant that Elakas had a promise to fulfill. He took out his last five silver and tossed the bag over to the one who appeared to be slinking away.

The last of my gold, as promised. You've saved this youth's life. I'll now be happy to answer all of your questions, though I can't quite remember them all. Would you mind joining me and my new companion Pip for a chat? That is, with your permission, Mr. Pip.

Elaksa turns to address the crowded inn, speaking up just loud enough to be heard, but not loud enough to be shouting.

And if anyone here knows this boy, and where he might live, I'd welcome your company as well. He mentioned bandits and a family, and I think it our duty to find both, if possible.

Lowering his voice back to a normal speaking volume and addressing the woman who spoke before.

Sorry to cause this commotion in your inn, ma'am. We'll do our best to sort things out and leave you in peace as best we can. I have nothing left with which to pay you presently, but I'll be happy to take on work for you to repay my debt. I promise you that Elakas Morkasion of the Cormanthor is as good as his word.
    Last edited by achesst; 2020-02-25 at 06:46 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Felpip Nindlenorn

Pip wants to whistle. Moved by the elf’s generosity, he smiles and shakes his head instead. What a fine fellow! Great idea too about hearing more from the heroically magical child.

“Well met, Master Elakas,” he says, and turns in what he hopes is reassurance to the slowly retreating boy, “and you too good sir. You have both done a very noble thing! I’d welcome the chance to know you better.”

To one side is the nice woman who brought him soup, a figure of delightful plenitude, newly returned and now bearing bandages. He wipes his forehead with his handkerchief and smiles at her too.

“I don’t have much gold Madam, but if my companion here owes you a debt, I’ll gladly chip in to help him meet it. But first–” Pip looks around at the faces of the surrounding crowd, trying to draw, with great drama, as many eyes as he can, before turning sharply back to Elakas. “But first, I think you’re right friend! What of this poor wounded fellow’s family? And that name he said– Did you hear? His sister. Lost, with bandits about. She must be in grave danger!”

18. - Top - End - #18

Giselle and Tall Taum, their clean water and linens in hand, stare at the blood soaked boy for a second, "Lets get him to our room and clean these wounds, he might be livin but we need to keep him that way."

As Tall Taum gets ready to move the boy his wife asks him, "You recognize him?"

Taum responds with a slight shake of his head.

"Didn't think so, me either. Must be from the West, heading through towards Baldur's Gate."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cassius Mortain

Cassius hurries over to the elf and the boy when they burst into the room. He's taking off his cloak for a makeshift bandage when the young boy telling stories by the fire steps in and heals him--surprising, seeing magic from one so young, but it seemed to do the trick, and the innkeeper's wife appeared to be taking the situation in hand. "If you need help tending to him, I'll see what I can do," he tells the woman. "I'm not too much of a healer, but I've helped bandage a couple of wounds before. I can give you another set of hands, at least, if you need them."

It was certainly a bit of an odd group that had assembled here. "Cassius Mortain, son of Duke Alexander Mortain, at your service." He glances back towards where the couple had taken the injured boy. "I don't know him either, just arrived in these parts... but if there are bandits about, attacking travelers and kidnapping people, then something should be done about it. As quickly as possible." There's a surprising steel in his voice. "My horse is in the stable, as are my arms. If you good people intend to rescue the boy's sister and deal with the bandits, I will ride with you."

-----

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Bran Aelstone

The boy continues to fade back. He is glad others have offered to pay; he would have, but much of what he had was in that cup. The talk of bandits brings back flashes, things he can't think about. His lip quivers. He chokes back the memory, the emotion. Think about something else. Anything else.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Felpip Nindlenorn

Pip looks up at the tall man who has just drawn near. The son of a duke. His fine clothes would have attested to that even if his words hadn’t. And his powerful shoulders, no whisper of indolence there. A life of striving instead? What good luck.

“Your presence is welcome indeed Sir Cassius! Especially if there are scofflaws about.”

Of course Pip would like to see justice done. But– Nobility and elven bravery, his two new acquaintances, they’re the ones to bring that. Not him. He is no sword swinger. Bad things happen. Sad is the gnome who tries to right them all.

Pip drums his fingers on his chin. Why then can he see the light of justice starting to flicker just before him? Bad people often amass illicit treasure. That shines too. Mightn’t it shine a bit brighter this day, in the hands of someone more worthy? He moves his fingers to his light belt pouch. And squeezes it. And smiles.

“Where did you say you found that poor wounded fellow Elakas? Perhaps we could return to the spot and see if we can find any nearby signs of battle? I have limited scouting experience, but people tell me I am fairly, uh, unobtrusive. If the villains who set upon the boy and his family are still lurking about, I may be able to spot them without being seen. And armed with that knowledge, we can, well– What do you both think?”

Both? He nearly forgot about the brave young boy and his healing hands – the same who has nearly disappeared quietly into the crowd. Pip understands. He winks kindly at him, trying to say with that gesture: it will be OK.

Will it? Cerra! Cerra! Someone’s Sister. Why is it that that’s the one thing he’s trying to forget about and can’t? Pip shrugs. Will it be OK for her?

Only Tymora knows.

22. - Top - End - #22

Innkeeper- Tall Taum

The lanky man eyes the noble men in front of him, "You'd do this? Help us?" A look of gratitude crosses his face, "We're only likely to see a patrol out of Baldur's Gate once a moon, and we're no match for outlaws."

The large woman elbows her way past her lanky husband, "What Taum is trying to say is that without your help the girl is lost, dead or worse."

Spoiler
    Show

Elakas found the boy right outside of town, but there is enough information to determine he must have walked down the road from the east, and it doubtful he could have walked more than a couple of hours with his wounds.

You've got a general direction and a quest. Though, you could make attempts to Gather Information from around the in before you leave. You'll be looking at a Society(Streetwise) Check of DC15(Trained) with Disadvantage for being scared of bandits.

Weather- Its Raining so that makes it Damp for Channeling Fire and counts as a Large Water Source for Water Channeling

Time- It is late in the evening and well after dark, maybe 9 pm

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Elakas Morkasion

Thank you all for your kind words.

Elakas turns and addresses the lanky man.

Do you know about these bandits? Can you tell us anything as to where they might be? I can't speak for these brave souls here, but I suspect they are of one mind with me in planning to charge into the rain and find the vile perpetuators of this cowardly violence. This boy's family must be saved or at least avenged.

Spoiler: First Mechanical Action attempt
    Show

Attempting a Persuasion check. I'm untrained, so it can only fail, but that never stopped Elakas before! But is apparently doesn't work with edits, maybe?
    Last edited by achesst; 2020-02-28 at 03:00 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Pip watches Elakas speaking with the Innkeeper and his wife. A pinching on his neck tells him many others are watching too. No great insight in that, but still it tingles. Are eyes watching open-wide not just with curiosity, but with hunger? Do tongues whisper of fears unspoken? Do they gloat?

Interesting!

While Elakas' words speak scorn on the rain, Pip skirts the fire and joins the watching crowd -- and seeing and trying not to be seen, he listens to the rumble of its words.

Spoiler: Info gathering attempt
    Show
    Pip attempts to use Society (Streetwise) to blend into the crowd, unobtrusive as possible, to see or hear anything useful.

Skill check = 1d20 + 3 (ability modifier) + 5 (skill ranks): so 1d20 + 8 vs 15 (Skill DC). Disadvantage, lowest of two rolls applies.

Roll 1[roll]1d20+8[/roll]

Roll 2[roll]1d20+8[/roll]

Edit 3, because I keep messing up the dice roll formula somehow and getting no results. I'll take a fail on this check (I can't see what I'm doing wrong. I clearly have a real-life disadvantage against vBulletin, haha). fwiw, I just rolled two physical D20s, just out of curiosity, and this was the result: Roll1: (2) ; Roll2: (12). Poor Pip
    Last edited by Estre; 2020-02-28 at 02:43 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

Unkempt Patron

Pip finds himself next to an unkempt older gentleman who had, through a monumental effort, found the bottom of his cups, "If ya ask me, bestest ta leav Ole Red alone, he'll skin a dwarf for their beard." The man seems to focus on Pip, struggling to figure out what he was saying.

Shady Spectators

Two men carry on a quiet conversation under the the assumption of privacy. Unbeknownst to them, a skinny child is within earshot.

The first spoke, "****, Red's gone an napped a girl, killed her kin."

The second responded with a grimace, "Right? He's a right terror. Think he'll hole her up at Watch Point?"

The first nods, "Yeah, why wouldn't he. Can't think of a better hideout... bad business that is, he'll find himself on the wrong end of a Balduran patrol if he keeps that up."

After a few second the second responds again with a nod, "Glad I left that life behind. Honest work don't pay ****, but you won't get a shiv in the back from Ole' Red or run down by no patrol."

Spoiler
    Show

Anyone Trained in Regional History or that asks around will know Watch Point refers to the Watch Point Keep ruins east located of the Crossroads that are situated far a top a hill with a wide view of the surrounding land and road. It was a small but important fortification centuries ago before the city states established their dominance.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Bran Aelfstone

The boy hears the conversation, not paying attention at first, then frozen, only the bustle of the room and his diminutive stature keeping his attention from being noticed. Anger roils up where there was fear a moment ago. He notes the names, though they mean nothing to him. A nearby candles flares brilliantly for half a second, startling those nearby, snapping Bran from his reverie and reminding him to push his emotions back down before there were more...events. He snags the bowl left for him and slinks from the room, crouching just outside the door.
    Spoiler
    Show
    stealth (hide) if needed (1d20+4)[6] (1d20+4)[15] (apply advantage/disadvantage as needed)

I figure move silently is unnecessary in the crowded. noisy room, but just in case (1d20+4)[11] (1d20+4)[16]

If it isn't clear, my plan if for Bran to follow whoever goes to find the bandits.

27. - Top - End - #27

East of the Crossroads Inn

The trio of unlikely adventurers, an elven stranger, a human noble, and a gnome wanderer set off to rescue a human girl they had never met.

The rain wasn't letting up and it'd be the mid of night in a couple of hours, but time was of the essence. Every minute that passes left a poor helpless girl at the mercy of violent criminals, a bandit named Red...

Spoiler
    Show

It is Near Dark, so those human vision can see 10' with Spot penalties, those with low-light can see 20', and those with darkvision can see 30'.

A torch lets humans see 20', Low-Light vision doubles that, Darkvision triples that.

I left is vague about the leaving so Bran can do his tag-a-long bit. As soon as you're ready or things sit too long I'll push along a bit. I kind of moved things along out of the Inn, I hope that was ok with everyone. Feel free to summarize any interactions as needed.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Elakas Morkasion

Elakas knew that he wouldn't get anywhere by speaking. It was actions that mattered. Every great epic he'd heard as an elfling, tales told sometimes by the heroes themselves. It was never clever words or a surprising phrase that saved the day, only great deeds. With that in mind, he took the advice of his new friend Pip, and did his best to lead him and Cassius, a mysterious but honest-seeming human, back toward the spot Elakas first met the injured boy.

It was right this way, I think. If we're lucky, the mud will make his path easier to track, and then the path back to the bandits. I hope we can find them, but if not, we can sleep well knowing we at least tried to do what was right. I thank you both for your help. I had always been told that the world of men was brutal and cruel, but I'm happy to find ones such as you.

Spoiler
    Show

Roll for tracking, first roll to find the spot I met the boy, second to try to find the trail he took to meet me. Walking at normal speed to show off my Tracker ability.
    (1d20+6)[8]
    (1d20+6)[10]

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cassius Mortain

"Come on, Firebrand. No rest tonight, I'm afraid." He leads the horse out of the stable with the rest of his gear, enlisting the help of the old elf to help him into his armor. At first he's impatient at the others, ready to set out immediately to save the boy's sister--but when Bran comes back with his information he has to admit that they'd gotten some useful information. He rides along the muddy road, cloak pulled up over his armor, perhaps shielding him from the worst of the rain. "This is what nobles are supposed to do, is it not? Protect the weak, root out banditry and lawlessness... It'd be remiss of me to not to help, would it not?" Cassius keeps an eye out on the road ahead, torch held aloft and sputtering in the rain.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I assume this would be the sort of situation where passive perception would apply?

-----

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Felpip Nindlenorn

Pip scrambles through the rain to keep up with his two new companions-in-arms. It's just as well that their presence is so comforting because the hissing dark surrounding the road is making his eyes twitch.

That and words from the bottom of a cup: Ole' Red and beardless dwarfs!

Pip gulps, peering into the shifting air, listening as hard as he can for hidden things.

Spoiler
    Show
    Pip attempts to use Perception(Listen and Spot). These are just passive checks right? (I'll happily roll a dice though if not, and try to not edit this time, haha).

Pip also has low light vision. Because of his fear of fire though he tries to avoid standing too close to anyone with a torch, so may not get the full benefit of its light...