New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: BSF: Red Sun Rising(IC)

Cassius Mortain

Struggling free of the web in time to hear Bran's thunderous assault on the ettercap, Cassius takes advantage of its distraction ducking the bolts and lines up a strike.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    And now the ettercap can't skitter away

Actions:
    1.0: Escape (failed)
    2.0: Escape (success)
    3.0: Attack! (1d20+4)[5]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[8]
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

2. - Top - End - #572
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Elakas Morkasion

This Spider Shepherd is proving to be especially slippery. Elakas curses his inexperience with the new blade, and dives back into the forest for another round. Experience is the best teacher, after all. He thinks to himself as his rapier once again thrusts toward his foe.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

1) Move to O19 via the top route, avoiding the tress and the Ettercap's range of attack
    2) Attack with my new rapier at (1d20+4)[8] for (1d6+2)[3]
    3) Try again at (1d20)[8] for (1d6+2)[8]

3. - Top - End - #573
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Felpip Nindlenorn

Pip watches his dagger slash the empty air. He missed his foe and now it’s leapt off and up a tree. At least its sticky web doesn’t tangle Cassius for too long – knight and elf are trying again to pin things down. Bran too continues his blasts, securely out of reach.

So Pip steps back through the tree’s gap. Perhaps this time he’ll pierce more than just the wind. Regardless, he offers his climbing quarry the biggest smile he can. It’s meant to be a friendly tribute to a worthy adversary.

But will make the creature more ravenous instead?

One way or another, a big mouth will close. For now, Pip’s jaw feels strangely rigid.

Spoiler
    Show
    0.5 Steps to N20
    1.5 Attacks ettercap with dagger (1d20+4)[17] for (1d4+2)[4]
    2.5 Attacks ettercap with dagger (1d20)[1] for (1d4+2)[6]
    3.0 Use Panache -- which increases Pip's Defense to 20, if it works on ettercaps and I'm calculating right

4. - Top - End - #574
    Firbolg in the Playground

The steelclad Cassius rips his way out of the webbing before chasing after the Ettercap...

Elakas, circles the tree, slashing at the creature, his blade never finding its mark...

Pip, using Elakas' distraction manages to press the vile creature...

Spoiler
    Show

Round 6
    Regen Web(1d4)[4]

5. - Top - End - #575

Ettercap

The Ettercap, being pressed by the groups deftly springs off the tree and slashes at Elakas, unable to ensnare him in web... Elakas avoids the first claw, but overextends himself, the second claw nearly had him. Elakas gets the sinking feeling that he wouldn't last but a few moments alone against this creature...

Spoiler
    Show

Web regen failure
    Ettercap
    .5 Reaction
    1.0 Step
    2.0 Attack Elakas
    Claw (1d20+4)[13] for (1d6+2)[4] Slashing Miss: By 1
    3.0 Attack Elakas
    Claw (1d20+2)[18] for (1d6+2)[7] Slashing Hit: 7-1 = 6HP Elakas has 3HP remaining

Initiative Blocks:
    Pip
    E
    Cassius, Bran, Elakas
    Last edited by Zman; 2020-10-02 at 04:45 PM.

6. - Top - End - #576
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Elakas Morkasion

Elakas's frustration is beginning to boil over. This one dumb creature continues to evade his every blow! At the same time, its claws get nearer to him with each swipe. Elakas speaks to himself as he attacks once again. You have one more chance, rapier. Prove your worth!

Show

1) Attack the Ettercap at (1d20+4)[15] for (1d6+2)[3]

IF no skitter:

2) attack again at (1d20)[4] for (1d6+2)[8]
    3) attack again at (1d20-4)[13] for (1d6+2)[4]

EDIT: I forgot about a hit then a skitter. I'll still do the draw bow and nock an arrow for turn 3 then.
    IF SKITTER:

1.5) drop rapier and draw bow
    2) nock an arrow
    3) Fire at the Ettercap at (1d20)[17] for (1d8+1)[6] and damage advantage (1d8+1)[5]

Last edited by achesst; 2020-10-06 at 07:31 AM.

7. - Top - End - #577

Elakas presses the Ettercap, but loses it as it skitters away...

Spoiler
    Show

Hit
    Skitter
    Elakas has 1 Action remaining.

8. - Top - End - #578
    Titan in the Playground

Bran pushes his way through the underbrush, sending an arc of lightning toward the last foe.
    Spoiler
    Show
    double move to Q20, lightning blast 5 pp Con DC16 vs (1d6+2)[6]

9. - Top - End - #579
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cassius Mortain

Cursing the ettercap's insane mobility, Cassius pursues through the brush, continuing to try and land a solid blow on the creature, before following through on the strike to try and shoulder-check the creature and knock it off balance.

Show
    Actions:
    1.0: Move to Q18 (I think I can just get there with a 25' move speed and one action)
    2.0: Attack! (1d20+4)[20]
    Damage (1d8+2): 10 (rolled in OOC)
    3.0: Combat Maneuver Check (Trip): (1d20+4)[20]

Based on a quick google search, it looks like Ettercaps are bipedal... If not, I'll try an overrun instead of a trip to avoid the disadvantage (unless overrun should have that penalty as well - it's not listed). I think since it's skittered it can't AoO me, which is nice!
    Last edited by rs2excelsior; 2020-10-05 at 07:18 PM.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

-----

10. - Top - End - #580

Spoiler
    Show

Technically Bran has to ready his action for Cassius to move so he can see the Ettercap, as all the light around is the torch from Cassius.

Con save (1d20+6)[8]

11. - Top - End - #581

Bran's bolt of lightning sends the creature reeling, enough to grand Cassius the opening he needs... his longsword opening up a grevious wound across the Ettercap's middle. The creature is nigh done for.

Reeling, the creature is unable to defend itself against Cassius's sweep, falling prone and exposed...

Spoiler
    Show

Fails, Bran takes out its remaining HP.

Cassius hits, Armor Save DR2 70% (1d100)[29] Success, 10-2 = 8WP Damage, Wounded.

Creature is Prone and Exposed for the rest of Cassius Turn, which unfortunately was his last action. Ettercap is PRone for everyone else, call me crazy, I don't expect it to survive.

Initiative Blocks:
    Pip
    E
    Cassius, Bran, Elakas

Last edited by Zman; 2020-10-06 at 06:50 AM.

12. - Top - End - #582
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Felpip Nindlenorn

Lightning leaps after a loathsome thing, a searing to show a mighty swing: Cassius’ sword; Bran’s bright charge. Can any say which seared the worst?

The beast lies now on the ground, more piteous than loathsome. Perhaps *it* could. Pip swallows. He cannot spare it. Recovered claws might rake more travelers.

Once he stands above it though, and sees its many eyes wide, it’s all he can do to keep his own two open. To see clearly his odious deed.

Spoiler
    Show
    1.0 Moves to P17
    2.0 Attacks prone ettercap with dagger (1d20+4)[7]
    3.0 Attacks prone ettercap with dagger (1d20)[13]

13. - Top - End - #583

Flailing, the Ettercap manages to fend Pip off, forestalling the final blow. With ungainly long limbs, the Ettercap manages to roll away from Pip and Cassius. Regaining its feet, it moves as quickly as its injured body will allow it into the darkness...

Spoiler
    Show

Pip barely missed, the Ettercap is wounded and trying to get away, easy pickins for whoever wants to finish it off.

Initiative Blocks:
    Pip
    E
    Cassius, Bran, Elakas

14. - Top - End - #584
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cassius Mortain

The foul creature was escaping! Torch held aloft, Cassius charges after it, weapon in hand, ready to bring down a blow against the creature once more. Hopefully the final one.

Show
    Actions:
    1.0: Move to P14
    2.0: Attack! (1d20+4)[5]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[10]

I expect the Ettercap will skitter after that, so if it does:
    2.5: Step (to keep adjacent to it)
    3.0: Parry

If it doesn't skitter for some reason, I'll attack it again.
    3.0: Attack: (1d20)[4]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[6]

-----

15. - Top - End - #585
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Elakas Morkasion

The vile beast is running off into the forest. Elakas doesn't think it wise to rush off blindly this late at night as the potential to get separated and lost is quite high. Still, Cassius charges after the creature, lighting it up for one last shot. Taking careful aim, Elakas looses his arrow...

Show

1) [assuming it skitters away] Move to be within 15 feet of the Ettercap, probably N15
    2) Aim
    3) Attack the Ettercap at (1d20+4)[13] advantage (1d20+4)[13] for (1d6+1)[4] advantage (1d6+1)[3]

16. - Top - End - #586

Somehow, the wounded Ettercap evades Cassius' blade, scrambling away just to have Elakas' arrow pass a hair's breath away from it...

Spoiler
    Show

Cassius Miss
    Skitter
    Cassius Step and Parry, not within 5', but not causing cover for engaged in melee. Let me know if you'd rather he double stepped.

Elakas misses by 1, twice.

17. - Top - End - #587
    Titan in the Playground

Bran moves to get a better line, then tosses a modest flame at the fleeing ettercap.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You guys couldn't finish off the prone and wounded ettercap? Sigh.
    1. move to P15
    2. Fire blast (1 pp) Dex DC 16 negates (1d4+2)[3] fire

3. Repeat fireblast if needed (forgot to include this before hitting post, 7 rolled OOC
    Last edited by stack; 2020-10-09 at 06:51 AM.

18. - Top - End - #588

With the monster on the ropes, it’s final wounded stumble takes it right into a precisely aimed bolt of fire from Bran. With the flash of fire and nothing but a torch for light, the woods are quiet...

Spoiler
    Show

Dex Dave’s and cover sans modifiers #phone

Dex (2d20)[12][16](28)

Dex (2d20)[14][12](26)

Dex (2d100)[51][16](67)

And dead! Nice job.

Last edited by Zman; 2020-10-10 at 09:49 AM.

19. - Top - End - #589
    Titan in the Playground

Bran leans against a tree. "Maybe we can rest soon? I am tired." His eyes are only half open.

20. - Top - End - #590
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Elakas Morkasion

Elakas can't help but curse his own hubris. An alert group is well-rested. A smart group doesn't push themselves beyond reason, and that group stays alive. They'd been lucky that what found them wasn't too difficult, but exhaustion and Elakas's own poor decisions made it much more tiring and dangerous than it should have been. He smiled at Bran's directness.

Me too, Bran. There's little else we can do before sunup. Let's try to get some rest before moving on. I'll take middle watch.
    Last edited by achesst; 2020-10-13 at 08:29 PM.

21. - Top - End - #591
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Felpip Nindlenorn

And I'll take the first.

Pip smiles at Elakas. You did well, guiding us through the dark. We're closer to finding our missing messenger now, and after seeing what lurks in this place, I'm sure all will agree the sooner we do the better.

Then he laughs. Well, maybe everyone except for hungry spiders.

As tired as I am, I'm still too filled with the thought of their visit to sleep now. Unless, of course, you prefer the first watch Sir Cassius?

22. - Top - End - #592

Night Under the Cloudy Sky

The Ettercap vanquished, it's sheparded spiders killed or scattered, the group succumbs to their weariness and makes camp. Each sleeps soundly, unstirring, groaning a complaint as each switches for their turn at watch.

All too soon the sun is rising, causing them to stir. Though rested enough to stave off bone-weariness, the late night and early sun robs them of the feeling of being completely rested.

A trail awaits them...

Spoiler
    Show

Good morning all

You are rested.

Bran has a wound to heal. Looks like he needs a DC 5 con check to regain WP as well.

Pip has a roll to see if he regains any lost WP. DC 15 to max out.

Elakas has some tracking to do.

23. - Top - End - #593
    Titan in the Playground

Bran wakes up and starts wandering around, poking the dead spiders with a stick.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wound (1d20+2)[21]
    WP (1d20+2)[5]

24. - Top - End - #594
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Felpip Nindlenorn

Pip stretches in the morning light, then winces, gently touching the place where he was bitten, wondering if it will feel as bad as it did in the night before.

Spoiler
    Show
    WP Check (1d20+5)[22]
    I think HPs are back to max because of overnight rest?

25. - Top - End - #595
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Elakas Morkasion

Elakas comes out of his meditative trance feeling better, but "good" would be a stretch. At least now his weariness is more from regret than exhaustion. Regardless, there is still a man who might be saved, and a trail of wolf-like tracks to find again. Elakas checks on his companions and sees them already packing up camp and silently preparing to head out. It seems they all know a near-disaster befell them last night, but that more must be done. Elakas awkwardly breaks the silence.

So...I'm going to continue trying to follow our Luckbringer's probable trail, if you're all ready.

Spoiler: Tracking!
    Show

Declare Wolf (or Warg, I'm assuming they're similar enough) as a Hunt target. Then an advantage survival roll...(1d20+7)[20], (1d20+7)[10]

26. - Top - End - #596
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cassius Mortain

As the adrenaline from the battle drains, Cassius realizes just how exhausted he is. They'd pushed hard, and capped it off with an intense fight... it's a wonder they all weren't dropping from exhaustion. He agrees to the watch schedule and drops into a deep sleep almost as soon as they have camp made.

It's hard waking up for watch, but he paces the camp to keep himself from drifting off again. Another few hours rest would do them all good, but that's something they can't spare out here. As the sun rises, he performs his usual prayers and rituals, waiting for the others to get up.

"I am ready, lead on. With some luck we're closing the distance..." He gathers up his own gear, mostly packed before the others awoke.

-----

27. - Top - End - #597
    Titan in the Playground

Bran rests his stick over his shoulder like a spear and follows.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Felpip Nindlenorn

Pack packed, and himself filled with feeling better, Pip shifts dirt over the last ashes of the campfire, then follows his friends again, down, for him, the hidden trail.

29. - Top - End - #599

The night's rest does them all well. Their wounds and pains seem to subside with the rising sun.

Elakas, wasting no time manages to find the trail he was having difficulty following the night before. He believes they'll be able to make good time in the light. The woods is dense, and after the night before all are on edge.

Spoiler
    Show

Looks like everyone is all healed up. And the group is moving again.

I'll try and have the next IC post up this evening.

30. - Top - End - #600

Tracking through the Cloakwood

Elakas, putting his hunting skills to good use, spends half the day following the faint tracks.

But, shortly after noon, he finds more tracks, freshers, newer, intermixed with the old...