New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: BSF: Red Sun Rising(IC)

Pressing On

The boy, seemingly unphased by a nearly mortal wound to his leg stirs the group to movement. Though it doesn't take long before the pain breaks through his magics and after a few hour's ride, he is in obvious pain.

Luckily, they had set out with only a half day's light left and the ride is but a few hours more. Up ahead, a small town nestled right along the Coast Way comes into view. By all accounts it looks like a peaceful little place, nestled a half day outside of Baldur's Gate and nearly a day's ride from the edge of the Cloakwood, it felt safe enough. The small town of a few hundred souls would have most of what they would need.

Spoiler
    Show

Town will have most items up to 1gp in cost and Wealth 3/4. There would be a healer of some sort. If sought out they'll recommend two application of Paste of Trollblood and a week's rest to make it right as rain. If the rider made it this far he would have surely had to have passed through town. There are a few other such towns along the coast way on the way towards candlekeep. There is one more situated closer to the Cloakwood, better part of a day's travel away(by wagon). And another in the shadow of the cloakwood, maybe a day's travel(by wagon) past it.

Traveling by wagon is slower than by horse alone, but to town hop you'd need to slow your pace a bit.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Elakas Morkasion

Elakas felt a moment of relief upon reaching the small town. He'd been straining his eyes and ears for hours, hoping to be extra cautious of the dangers on the road. It had been so easy a few hours ago to forget that Bran was just a boy. His power in combat more than equaled Elakas' own, but seeing his small body nearly crippled brought that realization back to the forefront. He was not a mighty warrior to be feared: he was a boy to be protected.

Reaching the town's outskirts, Elakas sets the small group to tasks that he thinks meets their respective strengths.

Friends, I see three tasks ahead of us, and three of us that can complete them. If agreeable to you, I suggest that Cassius work to secure us lodging, Pip do his best to find out information about our lost man, and I go along with Bran to seek healing. Shall we get to it?

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Because we've already been told what the healer will say, Elakas will purchase two doses of Trollblood (1G total?) and use one on Bran today and the 2nd tomorrow. Luckily I just leveled so I'll have enough to buy it. The others will (hopefully) have their own mini adventures before we continue on.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cassius Mortain

"Seems sound to me," Cassius replies. He'd been quieter since the encounter with the bandits - mulling over the danger they'd put Bran into. But nothing for it now but to press onwards. "I will see if there have been any travelers in the inns recently as well. Perhaps pay the headman a visit as well." Nodding to the others, he dismounts and leads Firebrand into the village, looking for whatever might pass for an inn here, as well as whoever might be in charge.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Society (Aristocracy) to see about cozying up to the village head and see if they have any useful info: (1d20+8)[25] (Expert)
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

4. - Top - End - #484

Cassius has little difficulty finding the only man in the small town who could fancy himself an aristocrat. The man, "Mayor" no less, was thrilled to be visited by a traveling noble. The mad had little information to give except a story about a man in black who blazed by town at dusk around the night in question. As the story is told he was moving so fast he could have blinked and missed the small town.

When Elakas asks about a healer, everyone says the same thing, go see Grandma Elliis and they all point him to a small makeshift apothecary shops that doubled as the healer's workspace. She has shelves of rudimentary and primitive substances with significant properties, though she is clearly not skilled enough to be distilling them down into their more potent and refined potions.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Titan in the Playground

Bran stays perched on his mount as long as possible, unwilling to be seen limping after his magic wears off.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Felpip Nindlenorn

What a delightful village! Pip is thinking of welcome refuge and, oddly, of home. There’s little harbor now in his place of birth, and even less acceptance, but seasons come and go; only change stays. Things will be fine there when he returns.

In the bright present, he and his friends have ridden back into the arms of safety.

Childlike he smiles again, until he sees brave Bran. The boy is stronger than his years, certainly more durable, but nothing with breath can go without rest. Each in their party must need recover. Pip can feel the tear of his recent wounds and knows that he himself must soon sleep.

But it is not yet night.

Cassius strides forth into place they’ve come to, looking for an inn. He’s heard the wise words of Elakas, suggesting lodging be found, while the elven task is healing – going with Bran to find succor for a wounded leg. And Pip? Sleep will come when it does. There’s words to be said now instead. Because Pip was listening to Elakas too, and nodding.

What gnome wouldn’t want to know more of the wonders of this place, and of all the things that have passed through?

Spoiler: Country roads
    Show
    Pip will enter the village and try to find out as much as he can about the lost man the party is seeking, or anything else of interest. He’ll also try to keep an eye out for his party members, especially for items on sale that can help them (like medicine for Bran or interesting stuff that Elakas and Cassius might want to buy), and also to know where his friends are when they all need to meet up again!

Society(Streetwise) (1d20+9)[23] to find out about the lost man

Perception(Spot) (1d20+6)[15] for any goodies that might interest him or his friends (if this is an appropriate roll for that sort of thing)

7. - Top - End - #487

Pip find the small town like many other small towns, infinitely fascinating but substantially limited in its marketable goods. Having found little to excite him as far as wears go, he does what he does best, smalltalk. When asking a particularly stout man roughly two Pip's high if he had seen a messenger, "Aye, I've seen someone that fits that bill. Couple nights back, just past dusk, a man blazed through and didn't even slow down. If he blinked, he'd have missed the whole town."

When asked how he could be sure the man was a messenger, "Not many people ride hard through a town at their best speed knowing it'll leave them sleeping rough on the side of the road. Messengers do it for a living."

When asked to confirm if this is the man in black, he shrugs, "Black? No way to tell, any man in a dark cloak riding hard at dusk can be a man in black if you've got a fanciful enough imagination."

The group will find a serviceable inn, though far below the standards Cassius would be accustomed to, it would be quite fitting for the rest of the party. If Cassius is so inclined, the "Mayor" has offered him his guest room as is fitting a man of nobility.

Spoiler
    Show

Feel free to rest the night unless there is something else you'd like to do.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Felpip Nindlenorn

Pip stretches his legs in the village inn -- on purpose, of course, even though the stool he's sitting on is too high for his feet to touch the ground -- and tells his friends of what he's heard about a mystery man riding quickly through the village. Cassius seems to have heard similar news, and Elakas and Bran are back from a visit to Grandma Elliis' the apothecary.

So friends, I think we've earned a rest, and this inn looks as fine a place as any for that! Unless, of course, you prefer to stay at the mayor's house Sir Cassius? I propose we get a good night's sleep then set out on the morrow towards the next village. It seems likely that the messenger would have passed through there, and hopefully we'll hear more of him and the direction he took? We could press on right now instead, but I fear for our own safety if we're too hasty. Perhaps the boldest course is caution for now. What do you think?

Spoiler
    Show
    Pip is tired, but also open to persuasion that things are too urgent for rest. If the party agrees with his suggestion, he'll happily spend the night in the inn and then set out in the morning. If not, then onwards it is!

9. - Top - End - #489
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cassius Mortain

"It does seem we are on the proper trail - though I think a night's rest will do all of us well, especially Bran. Maybe the next village will have more information - it seems likely he would have had to have stopped at some point. And as for the Mayor's offer, as kind as it was, I had to decline. I think it best for us to stick together for now - I doubt we'll run into trouble here, but better safe than sorry! We'll be on the road first thing in the morning."
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

-----

10. - Top - End - #490
    Titan in the Playground

Bran Aelfstone
    Bran eats quickly, then turns in early.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Elakas Morkasion

Seeing the boy head up to bed almost before Elakas has begun eating, he lowers his shoulders and talks quietly to the rest of his comrades around the table.

Friends, I can't help but feel somewhat responsible for what's happened to poor Bran. I know he's tough and he'll pull through, but I think it's all of our responsibilities to look out for the boy a bit more. In addition, we've already met resistance on this quest, and we've certainly made ourselves stand out in this town. If anyone here means to do us harm, we wouldn't be hard to find. I propose we begin standing watch at night. My knowledge of other races isn't the best, but I believe you each need more unbroken time of rest than I to feel your best in the morning. I'd be happy to take the middle watch if you two agree with this plan.

Elakas finishes his speech, looking expectantly at the other two faces. Maybe they think he's just being paranoid, but Elakas would rather be paranoid and alive than to believe in a false safety.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cassius Mortain

"That... is probably wise. I will take the morning watch, then, unless you'd prefer that, Pip." He hadn't thought about setting watches himself, but as he said, best to take precautions in case something did happen - and Elakas had a good point that anyone unfriendly who might be looking for them probably wouldn't have to look hard.

-----

13. - Top - End - #493

The night passed the group without pause, just a sleepy night in a sleepy little town. Bran wakes to find his wound less raw, less angry, as if it had healed a week in a day.

After a hearty breakfast of hash, the group gathers its things. Elakas’ mount is still hurt, though the wound would heal, assuming she wasn’t ridden too hard.

Setting out...

Spoiler
    Show

Marching order?
    Speed? Ie half speed and Tracking, looking for sign of the messenger. Full speed? Hustling? Who is tracking, who is keeping watch.

Trackers can make a survival, not prof and any relevant feats.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Elakas Morkasion

Relieved at a peaceful night, Elakas takes the initiative in the morning. After ensuring that Bran is healing well, he checks on Beatrice I and sees that her wound is healing, but much more slowly than Bran's. I sure hope I'm not tempting fate by naming you Beatrice I instead of just Beatrice. He thinks to himself.

Deciding that a good many things point toward the wisdom of going at a full but not fast pace today, Elakas lays out his plan to the group during a short breakfast.

Beatrice I is still on the mend, as is Bran. The nest town is just under a full day's ride if we go at a comfortable pace, and our quarry will be easier to track if we don't rush along. I suggest we go a bit slower and show care while heading on and trying to follow his trail.

Spoiler: SPOILER/ACTIONS
    Show

Expecting the group to go along with this plan...

1) Declare the Luckbringer we're after as a HUNT target (advantage to survival rolls)
    2) Attempt to track him at normal movement speed, and be moving at walking speed to both get this advantage and have Beatrice I be unburdened today.
    3) SURVIVAL ROLL (1d20+7)[16](1d20+7)[12]

15. - Top - End - #495
    Titan in the Playground

Bran Aelfstone

Bran eats his breakfast hungrily, then hurries to get mounted; despite feeling somewhat better, he doesn't want to appear weak and be left behind.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Felpip Nindlenorn

Refreshed and alert, Pip’s spirits are rising with the sun. Cassius’ offer last night to take the final watch was a kind one; Elakas’ taking the middle one was too. All Pip had to do was to stay awake for a while at first, alone with open eyes, trying to think instead of dream on the road ahead.

And in the morning now, brightness has come to everyone else as well – especially Bran. Healing is coming quickly to the boy!

And Elakas’ eyes are open wide on the real road. Pip nods in agreement at the elf’s proposals. If anyone can track their missing messenger, it is he.

Pip stays at the back of their column, watching his friends ride ahead. He’s no tracker, but he can spot an enemy, or hear one. Still, he hopes that the peace of sleep will drift through all their many steps instead, and settle again with them in the next town at the end of the day.

Spoiler: Eyes and ears open
    Show
    Pip will take his place at the back of the party (unless someone else prefers to be the rear guard?) and travel at any speed the party goes at (probably what Elakas’ suggested?). He has poor survival skills (i.e. no tracking) but will do his best to keep watch.

Perception(Listen) (1d20+6)[24]
    Perception(Spot) (1d20+6)[12]

Pip's standard passive Perception (for both listen and spot) is 16.

(Edited to close spoiler tag and to accurately show Pip's perception scores.)
    Last edited by Estre; 2020-08-17 at 09:02 AM.

17. - Top - End - #497
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cassius Mortain

Cassius rides in the middle near Bran, lance in hand and eyes scanning the road. He has a bit of experience in tracking animals, but Elakas is by far the more qualified. Instead he leaves the elf to his business and keeps his eyes and ears open for signs of trouble.

Show
    I'm fine with taking things a bit more slowly

Passive spot/listen are both 15

Side note, I personally prefer PF's (and maybe 5e? I honestly can't remember right now) approach of combining spot and listen into a single perception skill, rather than keeping them split into two different ones like 3.5e. It also makes the skill make more sense for creatures using (for example) scent. A minor point, but something I thought I'd throw out.

-----

18. - Top - End - #498

Following the Messenger's Trail

The group sets out, their pace brisk, and if it was slowed it wasn't to allow Elakas more time to look for signs of the messenger, but to give Bran's leg less of a strain. With Elakas at your head it isn't long until he found the first sign of your quarry. He stops the group near a small stream pointing out where the messenger led his horse to drink, where he crouched to fill his waterskins and to everyone's disbelief he points off towards some bushes and tells you that is where he shat. When questioned he points out that it was just a guess, but only a fool would pass up the chance to make use of regal ferns while riding hard.

As the day passed Elakas points to where he messenger made a brisk camp. And a few hours before night would begin to fall the groups has found themselves near a second small town, this one a few hours ride from the edge of the dangerous Cloakwood.

Spoiler
    Show

Standard small town, similar to the last one. Feel free to invent any details you please if they fit the bill.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Titan in the Playground

Bran Aelfstone

Bran is...mostly bored. Normally, he would hop down and try to find the signs that Elakas pointed out, or pester the others with juvenile ramblings, but his legs hurts and he is tired and sore generally, leaving him sullen and moody.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Felpip Nindlenorn

The sun sets on another small town, this one right on the edge of the darkness of a great wood. Pip's eyes are wide again at the wonder of a new place, no matter how similar it is to the other he's just seen.

But, as with the place left with the dawn, there are more important things here than sights. Perhaps the sound of their quarry's passing can also be heard in the voice of its inhabitants.

Spoiler
    Show
    Pip will head into the village and try not to get too swept up in the beauty of the commonplace. Instead, before rejoining his friends at the inn, he'll have a stroll around and try to gather any information possible about the missing messenger, using Society(Streetwise) (1d20+9)[17]
    Last edited by Estre; 2020-08-19 at 02:17 PM.

21. - Top - End - #501

Pip asks a half dozen people and they all give him the same story, or at least a version of it, the messenger stopped in the small town for a hot meal and was gone in less than an hour. And as everyone is more than happy to tell you, the smell of Miss Bess baking a tart apple pie has magic powers, can draw even a messenger riding hard off the road if there is a wind out of the west, "Will make yer mouth watter and yer tummy rumble at three hundred paces".

Spoiler
    Show

Barring anything you guys want to do, we can have you hit the road again.
    Last edited by Zman; 2020-08-19 at 08:44 PM.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Titan in the Playground

Feeling somewhat better, Bran makes certain to obtain an apple pie before departing.

23. - Top - End - #503
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Felpip Nindlenorn

After another good night's rest, and a final stretching of limbs to completely remove the knots of yesterday's road, Pip glances at his companions. A new morning has come, their newfound village must soon be left. There's still time now though for a last bite at comfort. He smiles at Bran and apple crumbs, then turns to their elven friend.

"I hope you slept well, good Elakas. Actually, I've heard it told that elves do not sleep, but instead enter into restful hours of contemplation. Is that true? I'd love to do the same but, regrettably, as soon as my eyes close, I end up thinking of nothing at all until they're open again! Until last night that is. It's probably pure imagination, but I have this nagging feeling that the messenger we follow did not make it to the next town. Your sharp senses are most welcome my friend. I wonder if you won't see the hidden steps of our quarry entering the forest today, and I fear what may lie in wait within its ancient depths." Pip laughs. I shall take great comfort in standing close by your side while within the folds of the wood!"

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm assuming the party spent the night in the village and are now getting ready to head off again. Sorry if I jumped the gun and someone wanted to do something else first. I'll amend my post if needed for sure.

24. - Top - End - #504

Another night, another town. As the sun crests the horizon and the smell of gristle sizzling brings the group downstairs for breakfast, Bran finds himself able to walk down the stairs. Maybe slower than normal, and he won't be running anytime soon, but the Trollblood paste had worked wonders on his wound. The flesh had the look of melted wax, something that would have taken a wound of that severity weeks to have healed to that degree.

The group sets out, Elakas at their head looking for signs of the messenger, the trail growing colder every day their slower pace has fallen behind the messenger.

The day is long and as it starts to set, Elakas is fairly certain from what little trail sign he found that the messenger had continued on to the small town known by the locals as Shadowood. To the west, the edge of the forest looms just a few miles outside of town and past the farmlands that buffered the town. Unlike most small towns near Baldur's Gate, Shadowwood has a makeshift militia, a few old men in shoddy arms standing watch, more against the wood than the road. Upon closer inspection their arms are mostly shoddy, it appears the only weapons valued enough to be maintained like prized possessions are their crossbows.

As the armed group of adventurers approaches, one particularly grizzled old man hollers, "Hail friends, identify yourself. Bring peace and peace ye shall find in return."

25. - Top - End - #505
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cassius Mortain

As they approach Shadowwood, Cassius notes that Elakas is having more trouble picking out the trail. "It seems we've been falling behind our quarry over the last few days... Bran, you look to be healing up well. If you all feel up to it, perhaps it might be best to press on tonight, maybe make up some more ground. I can't say I'd be glad to lose out on a night in a warm bed, but time may be of the essence here." He casts an uneasy glance up at the looming woods near the road. "Then again, maybe this is not the best place to be out on the roads at night..."

At the town, Cassius trots forward on Firebrand, moving up to the front of the group. "Good evening, gentlemen. My name is Cassius, and my companions and I are tracking a messenger sent from Baldur's Gate by the temple of Tymora. We think he came through here, possibly a few days' ago. We are only intending to ask a few questions and perhaps find lodgings for the night."

Show
    If we have a rough idea of how many days ago we think the messenger would have passed by, Cassius will provide the specific number. I don't think I need to roll diplomacy or anything, just stating our intentions - if I do need to make a roll let me know and I'll do it in the OOC thread.

-----

26. - Top - End - #506
    Titan in the Playground

Bran nods; he isn't going to willingly slow everyone down. Besides, even if he fell asleep, the horse would keep walking, right?

27. - Top - End - #507

Grizzled Guard

The man, pushing his late forties, spits a hearty chunk of plant matter, likely jitterweed or some such, before answering, "Evening sir. I remember one such man, bout eight nights past. Blew threw here about an hour before dark, didn't even bother to stop. Only a messenger in such haste would risk pushing through the night this close to the Cloakwood." After a momentary pause he adds, "And if you're inquiring about his whereabouts, it makes me think it wasn't a risk that came down in his favor."

As if seeing the boy for the first time, "This road is a dangerous one in the day, and perilous at night. Best take the boy inside, get a hot meal, and set out at first light. That steel will keep you safe in the sun."

28. - Top - End - #508
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Felpip Nindlenorn

Pip is starring at the dark forest, at the many trees, their boughs like arms, their branches, interlocking fingers; they’ve woven the green sky deeper now with the fallen sun, into something black.

His friends are standing with him before the gates of a small town, like a flicker in the shadow of the woods. Us or it? Pip turns away.

What Cassius said to the watchmen seemed right. Pip was thinking to press on too. Their quarry must surely be close. But the reply of the one who responded – a grizzled man, perhaps even the guards’ chief – has left the air heavy with a kind of pause.

Eight days away! That’s how close they’ve come to their target? And yet, perhaps the man never made it much farther down the road from here, no matter how long ago he left. Maybe he’s lying just over the next hill. Or deep in the arms of the dark trees. Pip looks back at the forest.

The only way to know is to go and see. But what can be seen in the black of night?

Pip clears his throat. “What do you think friends? I agree that time is of essence, and I’m certain that Elakas could divine the steps of the one we seek even in the deepest ocean, but I also don’t doubt that our road ahead is a perilous one. Is it better faced in daylight? I’d say not if we knew that Tymora’s messenger was close. Unfortunately though, the only thing we know is uncertainty.”

Spoiler
    Show
    Pip (like me, haha) is not sure if it’s better to spend the night in the village, or to press on. He’ll go with whatever the party decides (relieved that someone has greater insight than him). If no one is sure what to do, Pip will reluctantly suggest it’s best to play it safe and spend the night in the village.

29. - Top - End - #509
    Titan in the Playground

Bran Aelfstone

In response to the local's comment, Bran sets his jaw stubbornly, but doesn't speak.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Elakas Morkasion

Elakas considers the man and his words. Nearly a tenday behind! But then again, the whole group knew that, right? The man had been sent the first day they'd arrived at the temple, and they hadn't been sent after him until 7 days later. One more night in safety, helping Bran heal would lose them some time, but no more than waiting a week to search after him. Elakas addresses his words toward the group, and at the watchman.

I think our new friends words are wise. I might have a chance of finding our man in the dark, but searching is easier in the day. If some disaster has befallen him, we're no help if we fall into the same peril. Let's take one more night to ensure our safety and do our best to find and help him in the morning.

Elakas looks expectantly at Cassius, while throwing a few concerned glances at Bran. The boy's hiding his pain well, but it's still evident. A wound like his shouldn't heal completely for weeks. One more night in an inn will do him good.