New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: BSF: Red Sun Rising(IC)

Cassius Mortain

Cassius shelters behind his shield as the cone of flame bursts out of the beast's mouth. Firebrand is not so lucky lets out a panicked whinny, rearing and stepping away from the fire, but Cassius puts a hand on him to calm him. "Steady, old friend - the thing's hurt, and I wager he won't be able to do that again run through with my lance." As if the horse could understand him, he snorts, stamps, and leaps forward.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    First off, I'm shifting two ranks from CTD to CTA again.

So, it looks like there isn't specified in the rules whether there's a minimum distance on a charge. Right now I can cover 10ft - is that enough?

If it is (or if I need 15 ft, in which case I'll step back once with my unused half action then do this:
    0.5: Raise shield
    2.5: Charge! (1d20+4)[9]
    Damage (adv for charge, disadv for resistance): (1d12+2)[3]

If I need more than that, I'll drop the raise shield, use a move action to make the distance, then charge.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

2. - Top - End - #272
    Firbolg in the Playground

The crack of lightning, crackling from the young boy's fingertips find their mark, sizzling the otherworldly hide of the hellbeast...

Cassius, making the crucial mistake of charging with a lance without building up enough momentum opens up Firebrand to the fiery jaws of the Hellhound, with a lunge, a snarl, and Firebrand rears or horrible shredded gash on his brisket, the smell of burning flesh fills the airs as the hellfire continues to burn...

Spoiler
    Show

Hellhound Con Save (1d20+6)[16] Success(Just Barely) Reduced to Half(3 Lightning Damage)
    Hellhound Armor 70%DR2(1d100)[65] Success: Reduced to 1WP Damage

Reaction: AoO on Cassius, directed at Firebrand
    (1d20+5)[25] DAdv(If Bran Wounds) (1d20+5)[7] for (1d6+3)[4] Piercing + 1 Fire Damage Critical Threat: See next post.

Last edited by Zman; 2020-05-08 at 09:10 AM.

3. - Top - End - #273

Spoiler
    Show

Firebrand's Luck Save to Negate Critical (1d20+0)[4] Failure
    If Critical Bonus Piercing Damage (1d6)[5] 9 Piercing + 1 Fire Damage

Firebrand gets DR1 for his Large Size and has a Wound Threshold of 6. Firebrand takes 9WP Damage, is Wounded, and is now suffering the On Fire condition. While On Fire he suffers 1d4 Fire Damage each round. At the end of each round he'll have a 50% chance to be extinguished. You can spend an action to roll an additional extinguish check. Firebrand does have HP remaining, so the fire damage will affect that first.

Round 3
    Initiative
    Elakas
    Hellhound
    Pip, Cassius, Bran
    Last edited by Zman; 2020-05-08 at 09:15 AM.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Elakas Morkasion

Despite lightning and bolts and arrows and lances, this wild creature refuses to be put down. Elakas sees that some attack are starting to find their mark, and he hopes that a few more well-placed shots can take it down.

Spoiler: ACTIONS
    Show

0.5) Reload
    1.5) Aim at the hellhound
    2.5) Shoot at it (1d20+4)[23](1d20+4)[22] for (1d8+1)[6]
    3) Reload

OOC: Regardless how this one turns out, the very first thing I'm doing next level is getting Precise Shot ability. One close call is too many for Elakas, though I'm not sure how a Hero Point spent to not hit an ally works cinematically.

5. - Top - End - #275

Elakas looses an arrow... and it buries itself deep in the flank of the otherworldly beast...

Spoiler
    Show

Point Blank Shot's advantage cancelling the disadvantage from resistance is nice.

Hellhound Armor Save 70% DR 2 (1d100)[37] Success: 6 Damage reduced to 4WP Damage It's Wound Threshold was 5. It has 3 WP Remaining. If it had only 2WP, it'd be wounded too. So very close to wounding this thing all around.

Anyway Initiative
    Elakas
    Hellhound
    Pip, Cassius, Bran

Last edited by Zman; 2020-05-08 at 04:03 PM.

6. - Top - End - #276

Spoiler
    Show

Does the hellhound regenerate its flamebreath 1d4 on a '1' (1d4)[3] Nope!
    Last edited by Zman; 2020-05-08 at 04:04 PM.

7. - Top - End - #277

Hellhound

The hellhound, fearless in the face of its own demise leaps at Cassius, trying to pull him from the back of Firebrand... the beast snaps at Cassius, nearly pulling him off Firebrand, the precarious positions leaves him open for another savage assault by the hellhound that finishes the job... Cassius is ripped off the back of Firebrand but fails to catch the fall and lands with a hard and sharp hit that knocks the wind out of him...

Spoiler
    Show

.5 Reaction

1.5 Bite on Cassius directed at Cassius (1d20+5)[22] for (1d6+3)[4] Piercing Damage + 1 Fire DamageHit
    Cassius Shield Block 40%(1d100)[51]Failure Dadv on Damage if successful for minor rune of resistance (1d6+3)[7] + 1F
    If Hit Auto Trip on Cassius (1d20+6)[15] vs DC14(Passive for Cassius) 5' Fall for Cassius Just in case(1d20+2)[6] vs DC5 Minor Success: Cassius Exposed for Next Action

2.5 Bite on Cassius (1d20+1)[17] Adv(In Case Prone) (1d20+1)[12] for (1d6+3)[5] Piercing Damage + 1 Fire Damage Success
    Cassius Shield Block 40%(1d100)[58] FailureDadv on Damage if successful for minor rune of resistance (1d6+3)[7] + 1F
    If Hit Auto Trip on Cassius (1d20+6)[24] vs DC14(Passive for Cassius) 5' Fall for Cassius Just in case(1d20+2)[4] vs DC5 Critical Success: Cassius is Prone and fails the Fall suffering 1WP of damage.

3.0 Step to O21

Whew, think I got all of those possibilities out there. One nice thing about being in person is a lot of these are waterfalled so they only come up when they need to come up, scripting them all gets a bit convoluted.

Summary: Ok, wow, that leaves Cassius with 9/10 Wound Points and 14/21 Hero Points, but he is also Prone on the ground in O22.

Initiative
    Elakas
    Hellhound
    Pip, Cassius, Bran
    Last edited by Zman; 2020-05-08 at 04:27 PM.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Felpip Nindlenorn

Armored arms, diving devils, lightning lights – friends joined with enemy in such a blur of red, that to Pip they seem a storm cloud, indistinguishable one from the other.

Surely the hellhound cannot have survived.

But Pip watches in horror as Cassius falls.

There it is; its jaws the swallowing earth.

Pip grinds his teeth. Then let it return back through it!

No sense in moving anywhere else now. No vantage will separate it from his friends. No clear shot. No time to wait!

Sweat squeezes Pip’s bow in his hand as he raises it.

Spoiler: Pip R3
    Show
    1.0 Reloads crossbow
    2.0 Aims at hellhound
    3.0 Fires crossbow at hellhound (1d20+3)[12], aim advantage (1d20+3)[6], for (1d6+1)[6], disadvantage because of creature’s other-worldliness (1d6+1)[5]
    Pip is firing into melee so the hellhound gets 50% (medium) cover save -- Pip is taking great care not to hit his friends. (1d100)[95]

9. - Top - End - #279

Pip's bolt narrowly misses ending the otherworldly horror...

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative
    Elakas
    Hellhound
    Pip, Cassius, Bran

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cassius Mortain

Once more Cassius is pulled from the saddle and flat on his back. The jaws of the beast are looming over him, but he scampers back out of the way and regains his feet. Firebrand, badly hurt and the wound smoldering, has the sense to back off. Cassius will tend to him, but first this creature needed to be sent back to wherever it came from.

Show
    It might've been worth it for Cassius to have used shield block that round, but it's been resolved, so it's fine. (Shield block feat lets you block without using raise shield, correct?)

Anywho, actions:
    1.0: Roll to O23
    1.5: Stand up
    2.0: Draw broadsword
    2.5: Raise shield
    3.0: Step back to O22

With needing to draw my weapon, I don't think I have enough actions to actually attack it this round. Unless I stand up in reach and provoke an AoO, which I think would probably not be the best idea. But I've got my defenses up, and I will shield block if he attacks me again. (Side question, you can't shield block against an AoO, correct?)

Firebrand will step out of reach and then move away. He can't use his own actions to help put himself out, can he? A horse can't really stop drop and roll.
    50% chance to put out the fire: (1d100)[87] (1-50 to extinguish)
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

-----

11. - Top - End - #281

Cassius stands, baiting the hellbeast's attack, he intercepts it with his shield. Once upon his feet, he draws his broadsword and delivers a final fatal stroke... the beast flails, falling to the ground it it seems to dissolve into the wind, being drawn back towards the center of the hamlet...

Behind him, Firebrand fights his own fight against the infernal fires, rolling in the dirt to extingish them... but Firebrand is still on fire...

Spoiler
    Show

Damage to Shield (1d6+3)[4](1d6+3)[8] Dadv for Runes of Resistance vs DR8. Also, Resistance to the fixed 1pt of Fire Damage reduces it to 0 Fire Damage.

See OOC for Cassius' atttck. Regardless of Armor it is fatal to the Hellhound.

Firebrand (1d100)[73](1d100)[68]

Firebrand is still On Fire!
    Maybe this would be a good opportunity for Bran to manifest a little water.

Oh, and everyone can then catch their breath and roleplay a reaction to the hellhound before we advance a bit further.

Last edited by Zman; 2020-05-10 at 02:00 PM.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Elakas Morkasion

Elakas watches as the strange creature seems to melt into the ground. So, it must have been a fiend like those in Myth Drannor. Elakas hadn't ever interacted with them before, but the stories were clear. The creature of the Myth Drannor don't die, they just go back to their hellscape. He looks around at the group and sees everyone taking a moment to recover from the strange fight. The hamlet is still burning, and Elakas is not sure how to help put it out.

Great work, everyone, the beast is gone! Now...does anyone know how to stop all this fire?

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

Bran Aelfstone
    The beast fades away and Bran immediately turns to the pained sounds from Firebrand. Bran is neither composed nor literate enough to see the irony of the horse's name. He rushes to firebrand's side and shoves his hands forward, drenching the beast in water.
    Spoiler
    Show
    create water 5 pp, bathtub

He wants to start healing, but seeing the burning buildings asks "Is there anyone in them?"

14. - Top - End - #284

The boy moves quickly forward, summoning a mass of water out of the very air around them, drenching the pained beast and extinguishing the fire that was ravaging Firebrand...

As Firebrand quiets, the shouts of villages can still be heard, the nightmare is far from over...

Spoiler
    Show

Ok, Firebrand is no longer on Fire. With that quantity of water it i sufficient to do it outright. I would have put it at Create Water(4) being what was necessary.

I gave everyone the effects of Catching their Breath. As you might have guessed, it isn't over yet, so you can have a moment for a bit more RP and anything else you'd do in the intervening 30s or so before moving forward.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Bran Aelfstone

Not one to spend time in reflection, or in waiting for answers, Bran rushes towards the nearest cries.
    Spoiler
    Show
    basically, Bran will run around and try to put out fires via create water/heal people who are in really bad shape until the danger is past, he is given instructions, or he runs out of PP
    Last edited by stack; 2020-05-11 at 10:03 AM.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Felpip Nindlenorn

Pip sighs in relief to see Cassius rise and Firebrand doused. Bran has taken Elakas' calm words -- like a stilling breath in a fire storm -- and acted. Steed now safe, the boy is poring quenching waters on all else that flares.

And then Pip remembers the start of the fight. What of the fleeing elder? Ole' Kip; he was being chased. Did he escape the flames? Did he survive?

Pip cranks another bolt into his bow and runs forward to see if the man needs help. Maybe he can say something of what happened. Or, is still happening. Should more of these devilish beasts be prowling... Merl and their young charges are exposed in the open!

Spoiler
    Show
    Pip will make a hasty search for Ole' Kip to provide assistance if it's needed. He'll not stray too far from his friends though because there may very well be more nasty critters about to arrive. He's also itching to get back to Merl and the children, fearing for their safety.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Elakas Morkasion

Elakas is at a loss for a moment, but sees his allies run off in different directions. He knows that he must act as well, but what's most pressing? The largest current fire seems to be coming from the stables. Stables! The horses! If they're tied or in stalls they'll be burned alive! Elakas starts toward them at a run, with a yell to his friends.

I'll try to save the horses! Shout if anything more pressing comes up!

18. - Top - End - #288

The Burning at the Crossroads

Responding to the crisis at hand with no though but to help others, Bran rushes forward with Pip narrowly on his heels and Elakas quickly overtaking them with his long legs leaving Cassius to take his moment checking the wellbeing of Firebrand...

As the trio rounds the edge of the only shop at the Crossroads, the stables, fully engulfed in flames, is brought into view. More concerning is a wound in the earth, a fiery fissure releasing heat, every step closer to its tints the world a more morose shade of red. Just the sight of it is enough to turn your stomach...

Before you are able to give the unnatural phenomenon any more attention you catch sight of another of the infernal beasts. This one savages a closed door on the small house Kip was running towards, frustrated the beast breaths a gout of flame, catching the corner of the old man's house on fire...

Spoiler
    Show

Fissure in Earth at ~X4

Cassius is still near Firebrand checking on him as all three of you bolt off like the heroes you are. He's still close to the combat so that worked well and I believe fits how Cassius would have reacted.

Initiative!

Cassius(1d20+1)[8]
    Elakas(1d20+3)[7]
    Pip(1d20+3)[18]
    Bran(1d20+2)[21]

Hellhound(1d20+3)[9]

Initiative
    Bran, Pip
    Hellhound
    Cassius, Elakas

Map is updated
    Last edited by Zman; 2020-05-12 at 08:45 AM.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

Bran Aelfstone

Bran spots the hound and rushes heedlessly forward, reflexively drawing a portion of the flame from the burning building and hurling it at the otherwordly beast.
    Spoiler
    Show
    double move to WS15, fire blast 4PP -1 for channeling, so 3pp cost, Reflex DC 16 vs lower of (1d6+2)[4] (1d6+2)[3] (from disadvantage) damage, save negates
    Last edited by stack; 2020-05-12 at 01:24 PM.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Felpip Nindlenorn

There surely must exist times where no matter how ominous something seems it is in fact benign. Or even sublime! Pip was hoping that when he saw the crack in the earth.

This was not one of those times. The horror that is igniting the house of the elder sends that happy dream up in smoke.

Pip frowns. Bran's rushing forth. Brave fellow! Elakas will almost certainly join him. Pip feels he should too.

He also remembers the cone of flame the late hound just breathed. "Stay wide of each other friends!" he squeaks.

And what's the best way to do that? The gap between the buildings is narrow. Pip's thoughts are cartwheeling. And then they land.

*Where is best to do that?* is what he should be asking. But he already knows the answer.

Spoiler: Pip's actions
    Show
    1.0 Moves to S15
    1.5 Stows crossbow (presumably this is in Pip's hands, because he loaded it in the breather round and then ran into the hamlet to see what was going on)
    2.5 Attempts to climb wall of shop and reach the roof, using Acrobatics (E) (1d20+7)[27]
    3.0 Draws crossbow (assuming climb was successful)

If the climb was not successful, Pip does not have enough actions to make another attempt, so I guess will just hang on for dear life, if possible.

I'm basing all of the above on the assumption that the house has things like window ledges and is of rough enough construction to afford handholds. If I'm wrong and the house is impossible to climb for someone with Pip's abilities, he'll do the following instead:

1.0 + 2.0 Double move to V15
    3.0 Shoot at hellhound with crossbow (1d20+3)[4] for (1d6+1)[5] / Disadvantage (1d6+1)[2]

21. - Top - End - #291

With shocking agility Pip manages to hop high enough to get his foot on a ledge and use it to spring enough to grab the edge of the roof and pull himself up and over the ledge and to his feet on the gently sloped and thatched roof...

Spoiler
    Show

Pip succeeds on his DC15(T) Climb check with what amounts to a critical success, letting him easily scamper up and scale the to the roof of the simple single story building.

Waiting to see if Bran wants to move only once and use his third action before resolving his firebolt on the hellhound given he can effectively target from further away and benefit from some serious fire channeling. Pyromancers lover a good burning building, haha.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: additional firebolt
    Show
    position edited in previous post to S15, additional firebolt (1d6+2)[4] (1d6+2)[3]

23. - Top - End - #293

Siphoningg power from the raging inferno that was the stables, Bran looses gouts of flame at the hellhound... one is a direct hit, striking the hound solidly on its flanking and lighting it aflame.

Spoiler
    Show

Gotta love your consistancy, on 4d6 you rolled 1,2 and 1,2. Firebolt(4) only costs 2PP with Channeling 2 from the burning building, way better than a piddly campfire, haha.

Flatfooted Hellhound vs dc16 (1d20+6)[19](1d20+6)[10] Failure- 3HP Damage
    and (1d4)[4] to see if it recharges its firebreath on a 1, triggers whenever a hellhound takes fire damage. Failed to Recharge

Flatfooted Hellhound vs dc16 (1d20+6)[13](1d20+6)[7] Failure- Critical Treat, Confiremd(Next Post), Armor Failed(Next Post) = 3 Wound Point Damage and On Fire
    and (1d4)[2] to see if it recharges its firebreath on a 1, triggers whenever a hellhound takes fire damage. Failed to Recharge

Last edited by Zman; 2020-05-12 at 01:55 PM.

24. - Top - End - #294

Spoiler
    Show

Luck Save vs Firebolt for hellhound (1d20+2)[3] vs DC16
    Armor70% DR2 (1d100)[74]

25. - Top - End - #295

Spoiler
    Show

Regen Flame Breath [roll1d4[/roll]-Normal Turn Breath Regenerated(Other Post)

On Fire (1d4)[4] Fire Damage Edit: Need another D4 for Resistance Resulted in 1HP Fire Damage
    Regen Flame Breath [roll1d4[/roll]-Damage from On Fire

50% Chance to lose On Fire
    (1d100)[39]No Longer on Fire

Last edited by Zman; 2020-05-12 at 01:38 PM.

26. - Top - End - #296

Spoiler
    Show

Fire Regens (2d4)[1][2](3)

Resistance for On Fire (1d4)[1]

27. - Top - End - #297

Hellhound

The hellhound, finding itself assaulted by fire, it inhales the flames and abandons its trapped quarry to move forward and exhale the bout of flame...

Spoiler
    Show

1.0 Move to V15
    3.0 Flamebreath 20- Cone, hits Bran and Elakas, DC14 Dexterity Save for half, (1d6+1)[7] Fire Damage

I'll let each of you roll your own saves, gives you a chance to use reactions if warranted.

Then
    Initiative
    Bran, Pip,
    Hellhound
    Cassius, Elakas
    Last edited by Zman; 2020-05-12 at 01:45 PM.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cassius Mortain

Cassius tends to Firebrand, damp and worse for wear but no longer on fire, as the others rush into the town to help fight the fires. Cassius would see to his horse, and then--

Wait. There were sounds of fighting from the town. More of those hellish creatures? He turns towards the sound, cursing under his breath. Of course there wasn't just the one. "Firebrand, stay safe. Any more of those things come, get away from them. I'll call for you when it's safe." He turns and rushes towards the town to join the fight.

Show
    Actions:
    3.0: Run action to S13

I'm assuming I have my shield out but weapon not drawn (If I can count as having my weapon drawn that'd be great, though). Even so, I figured it was better to get to the fight quicker. Sure he's flat footed, but his dex is crap anyway :P

-----

29. - Top - End - #299

As the beast looses its own inferno, Bran opens his sand, absorbing some of the incoming flame...

Meanwhile, Elakas is caught nigh unawares by the hellhound's fire...

Spoiler
    Show

Breath does 7pts of Fire Damage

Brand has DR2 to the Fire Damage
    Dex Save (1d20+5)[23] vs DC14 Reaction andSaved- 4HP Reduced to 2HP of Damage and 2 Temp PP for a fire manifestation next round.

Elakas is Flatfooted as he has not gone in initiative yet, so he has disadvantage
    (1d20+6)[21](1d20+6)[20] Double Saved- 3pts of HP Damage after armor HR

Initiative
    Bran, Pip
    Hellhound
    Cassius, Elakas

Last edited by Zman; 2020-05-12 at 04:41 PM.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Elakas Morkasion

The fiery beast has already returned?! So, this will be a never-ending fight until it gives up!

...or maybe there were more than one to start with? That makes more sense.

As Elakas muses over how quickly fiends return to this plane, he is engulfed in a wave of flames. Now scorched, Elakas decides there's no time to think about it, and it is instead time to fight!

Spoiler: Actions!
    Show

0.5) Get out bow. (In my head, Elakas stored the bow on his back when he was going to run toward the stables. My quick-draw is free while moving, but I believe would make my shot at disadvantage if I used it without moving)
    1) Load arrow
    2) Shoot at hellhound at (1d20+4)[11] for (1d8+1)[9] (advantage on Point Blank Shot cancelling disadvantage for the fiend)
    2.5) Load arrow
    3) Step to T13 (spread out a bit in case future cones of flame are a comin')