New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: BSF: Red Sun Rising(IC)

In the swirling maelstrom of slashes, falling gnomes, and whips made of lava the wounded hellbeast somehow manages to cling to the mortal realm moments longers...

Spoiler
    Show

Let's fix that (1d20+6)[19]

Wow, that was crazy dice. Enemie can't roll under 10 and the heroes cant roll above 10.

Round 5- No pressure Pip!

Initiative
    Bran, Pip
    Hellhound
    Cassius, Elakas
    Last edited by Zman; 2020-05-19 at 01:45 PM.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Felpip Nindlenorn

An eagle dived from the sky and– landed on its head?

Wait, that doesn’t seem right.

Something else has talons and has just raked Pip’s chest. He jumped to the ground, but why is he lying on it? The hellhound, instead, seems to be floating above and between the blows of his heroic friends. Even that of mighty Cassius! It can’t be. And of Swift Elakas. Of Fiery Bran.

Burning with outrage, Pip leaps to his feet, wincing through the sudden pain. It gives him no pleasure to share his injury, but a sort of perverse hoped-for satisfaction numbs that though as he lunges, dagger sharp, for the most irritatingly unquenchable hound in this world and, Pip suspects, the next.

Spoiler: Pip Round 5
    Show
    1.0 Stands up (and selects hellhound for *dodge feat*, if allowed?)

2.0 Attacks hellhound with dagger (1d20+3)[4] -- (+1 or +2 to attack roll if Pip is flanking HH, and depending on position)
    Damage (DisAdv) (1d4+2)[4] (1d4+2)[5] --- (+1 to damage using sneak attack if Pip is flanking HH and sneak attack is allowed)

3.0 Attacks hellhound with dagger (1d20-1)[3] -- (+1 or +2 to attack roll, as above)
    Damage (DisAdv) (1d4+2)[6] (1d4+2)[6] --- (+1 to damage as above)

3. - Top - End - #333

In a flurry of blows, sword slashes, dagger thrusts, and lava slashes the Hellhound finally succumbs to the abuse and melts away, its essence clearly drawn towards the fissure in the ground near the Crossroads Inn...

Spoiler
    Show

You can take a moment to RP and catch your breath. Ie spend about half a minute to minute.

Don't go racing off, there is one more thing yet to happen.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Elakas Morkasion

Elakas flops to the ground, wishing to mirror the melting foe.

I always knew fiends were bad news, but I never thought that just two of them would take so much out of me. Give me just a second to catch my breath, friends. Then we'll try to put out these fires.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Felpip Nindlenorn

What a relief! Pip catches his breath, hands around his chest. Then he looks at the others. Are you okay friends? I feared that thing was about to drag us back into the pit with it! It is a blessing to see you all standing here still.

Out of the corners of his eyes he feels the crackle of burning buildings, seemingly all around. Bran had been doing good work to quench the flames before-- Before the second hound showed up. Hard to imagine. What else-- Any of this.

Ole' Kip. His house is still ablaze! Pip looks frantically for a bucket, but his eyes fall back on his friends. Bran seems as if he may resume his good work. Perhaps they should go with him now. Better to stick together at this time. He wants to ask Bran if he could direct some water at the house of the elder, but all that comes out of his lips is the confusion of his distressed thoughts.

What should we do?

Spoiler
    Show
    Pip recovers 4 WP after catching his breath.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Titan in the Playground

Bran Aelfstone

Bran sends the molten lash back int the ground, leaving a puddle of rapidly cooling glass as he returns his attention to the burning buildings, eyes half closed as he begins to call more water.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cassius Mortain

Cassius lowers his weapon, panting from the heat and exertion. He wants to collapse like Elakas, just rest for a minute... but there may be people trapped in those buildings, and more of those hell-beasts about. "By Helm, what were those things?"

Looking about, he sheathes his sword and stows his shield. "We should try and do what we can to save these people. Bran, you were doing well dousing some of the buildings, keep up with that. I'll see if I can help anybody trapped in the buildings." Knowing that's excessively dangerous, he won't ask Pip or Elakas to do that if they have a better way to help, but that's the best thing he can think of for himself to do. Putting a cloth up to his face to give some protection from the smoke, he heads into the nearest building to try and find people trapped inside.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

8. - Top - End - #338

Decisions at the Crossroads

As the demon melts away and the unlikely group of heroes takes a breath to survey the carnage around them. Buildings still burned, but there was a chance to rally the townsfolk and save most of them, especially the Inn itself.

But, the fissure. The gaping wound in reality almost pulses with energy, the same energy that has cast a red shadow over the sun... but the energy appears to be fading. Suddenly, a roar, felt in your soul almost as much as it heard. The fissure yields itself to the clawing emergence of yet another fiend, another hound of hell. This one is much larger than the others, rivaling even Firebrand in its size. If hellhounds in the abyss move in packs, this is their alpha. Even as it emerges into the material plain, it is as if its native plane, through the fissure, is tugging at it...

Spoiler
    Show

Decision Time!

The Hellhound Alpha has emerged. Its time on this plane is limited. You have two choices...

1. Choose Fight You can save the town, the inn, etc will be save-able, even better than the default state due to Brans ability to help extinguish the flames. Eliminate any further loss of life, outside the possibility of your own.

2. Choose Flight You rally the townsfolk to flee, putting yourselves between the danger and safety. You minimize any further loss of life, but sacrifice most of the town as the hellhound alpha ravages and burns before being forced back into its native realm.

Last edited by Zman; 2020-05-20 at 11:49 AM.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Titan in the Playground

Bran Aelfstone

Bran sees the beast entering through the rift. No. Nonononono. Stop it. Go Back!"

He punctuates his futile protestations with flame channeled from the burning town.
    Spoiler
    Show
    fire bolt PP4 x3 is he has line of sight (can't tell from map yet)

channeling reduces cost to 2, DC 16

1. (1d6+2)[3](1d6+2)[7]
    2. (1d6+2)[4](1d6+2)[8]
    3. (1d6+2)[7](1d6+2)[6]

10. - Top - End - #340

As the massive demonic hound entered the mortal plane it was greeted by mortal fire. Bran having no hesitation began assaulting the creature that his head barely reached it's shoulders...

Caught offguard... the hellhound is only saved by the brashness of the boys spell slinging... Looking at the source of the assault, any thoughts of burning buildings or running down villagers have left the beast's thoughts...

Spoiler
    Show

Flatfooted
    (1d20+6)[19](1d20+6)[22] Seriously, double success. Hellhounds were one of my earliest enemies, part of me thinks they should have Dex 4 instead of 6... edited, Alpha only has Dex 4 as is more fitting

We'll assume that at emergence of the demon people regain their feat and can re-grab weapons, etc. Just make sure you describe your reaction to the situation and how an 11 year old boy's impulsiveness committed you to risking your life.

And Initiative
    Bran (1d20+2)[4]
    Elakas(1d20+3)[16]
    Pip(1d20+3)[21]
    Cassius(1d20+1)[8]
    Hellhound Alpha(1d20+3)[7]

Initiative
    Elaksa, Pip, Cassius
    Hellhound Alpha
    Bran

Last edited by Zman; 2020-05-20 at 08:14 PM.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Elakas Morkasion

Elakas has barely calmed his breathing when yet another fiery beast explodes from the ground. Once more he needs to decide if fighting or avoiding would be the wiser choice.

After deliberating for less than a second, Elakas's choice is made for him. Bran releases another whip of flame at the creature, signaling his desire to beat it into submission. Elakas, as seems to have become his habit, shouts out his intentions to his allies while on the move.

Friends! Yet another one has arrived. Let's send this fiend back to its plane of torment!

Did that make sense? Was it sufficiently rallying? No time to wonder, it is time to attack! Elakas grabs his trusty bow once more and runs into the fight.

Spoiler: Actions!
    Show

1) Move to R8 while quick-drawing bow
    1.5) Load an arrow
    2.5) Shoot the arrow at our enemy! (1d20+4)[9] for (1d8+1)[9]
    3) Load an arrow
    It's time to roll well!

12. - Top - End - #342
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Felpip Nindlenorn

Uh oh!

What to do?

Maybe when the jaws of hell open there’s no need to listen hard for an answer.

Pip’s mouth is open too. So, he supposes, is that of the enormous horror that has just clawed up through the earth’s gaping wound. Is it shocked at Bran’s unblenching welcome? A fire to blow out its own! Pip certainly is.

“Let’s send this fiend back to its plane of torment!” Elakas’ shouts out, as loud as the roar of Bran’s flame. Louder than the voice of Pip’s thoughts that’re insisting there’s no other choice than flight.

The truth is, the jaws of hell are about to close upon his friends; that’s what really matters.

What to do?

Fight!

Spoiler
    Show
    If there was time for Pip to ready his crossbow before the fight then his actions are:

1.0 Aims at Alpha HH
    2.0 Fires crossbow at Alpha HH (Adv because of aim) (1d20+3)[8] (1d20+3)[9]
    Damage (DisAdv because of HH’s infernal hide) (1d6+1)[4] (1d6+1)[5]
    3.0 Reloads crossbow

If not enough time to ready weapon (Pip had previously loaded his crossbow, but then swapped to his dagger, so maybe had to disarm it to avoid shooting himself? I think you said Zman that we had time to at least grab our weapons though? If I’m mistaken, I’ll use the first action below to draw the crossbow, and skip the aiming part. Otherwise):

1.0 Reloads crossbow
    2.0 Aims at Alpha HH
    3.0 Fires crossbow at Alpha HH (as per dice rolls above)

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cassius Mortain

Cassius stares a moment in stunned shock as the beast rushes through the portal. For a moment, he wishes Firebrand was here, that he could meet the thing with his lance instead of merely sword and shield... but thinking of what the smaller hell-beast had done to the horse, on the whole he was glad Firebrand was out of reach (and had enough sense to get himself out of the way should the worst happen to them and the hellhound go hunting). Here, surrounded by a burning village, creatures from the depths themselves rushing forth and no one but a steady band of adventurers between them and their prey... this was why he'd left home, why Helm had drawn him from a peaceful, easy existence and led him here. Smiling despite the very real fear he still feels, he re-draws his sword and shield. It seems his companions had also decided to send this thing back to the pit where it came from. Good. He charges forward.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    All the shooty folks have gone, so the (possibly dumb) stabby fellow is going and doing his (possibly dumb) thing!

Actions:
    I think you said we could count weapons being drawn before the round starts. So working on that assumption:
    Shifting a rank from CTD to CTA with Combat Prowess, reduces my defense scores by 1
    2.0: Charge to U6! (1d20+4)[20]
    Damage (adv from charge, disadv from resistance, evens to normal? I'll make a second roll if needed): (1d8+2)[10] (1d8+2)[3]
    2.5: Step to U7
    3.0: Step to U8

If my attack misses, shield block the AoO and negate the second step.
    Last edited by rs2excelsior; 2020-05-21 at 09:03 AM.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

-----

14. - Top - End - #344

A ball of flame and a hail of arrow distract the beast, nearly allowing Cassius to land his fell strike...

Hellhound-Alpha

The beast, the target of a sudden onslaught opens it's mouth wide and releases a burst of flame catching Cassius and Elakas in its wake. Cassius, ever prepared intercepts the wave of fire with his rune inscribed shield, blunting the blow...

Spoiler
    Show

A whole lot of missing followed up by a solid charge from Cassius for 9HP. Adv from Charge cancels DAdv for Resistance

2.0 Flame Breath Damage (1d8+1)[2] Fire
    3.0 Double Step

Cassius Reaction to the Flame Breath auto failing the save but taking it on his shield DAdv damage roll (1d8+1)[6] Sheild is fine

Elakas Dex Save (1d20+6)[23] Elaks takes a minimum of 1 HP damage

Initiative

Pip, Elakas, Cassius
    Hellhound Alpha
    Bran

Last edited by Zman; 2020-05-21 at 07:48 PM.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Titan in the Playground

Bran Aelfstone
    The boy keeps siphoning fire from the burning stable into the giant hound, face taught in concentration.
    Spoiler
    Show
    DC16

1. fire blast (1d6+2)[5](1d6+2)[7]
    2. fire blast (1d6+2)[3](1d6+2)[3]
    3. fire blast (1d6+2)[5](1d6+2)[7]

Hopefully able to target the back half of the hound, avoiding miss chance issues. If not, (3d100)[16][69][80](165)

16. - Top - End - #346
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Elakas Morkasion

Nothing seems to phase this beast! Elakas realizes that he's been much too jittery throughout this insanity, but then again, who could blame him? Beasts of hell are literally rising up to kill him!

Calm down. Shoot carefully. Get rid of the threat in front of you.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

1) Aim
    2) Shoot at the hellhound at (1d20+4)[17] adv (1d20+4)[8] for (1d8+1)[6]
    percent to hit ally (being careful) (1d100)[87]
    2.5) reload
    3) step to Q7 (spreading out!)

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cassius Mortain

Caught between the blazing stables behind him and the fiery breath of the hound, sweat ran down Cassius's brow as he desperately hacked at the beast. Bran, Elakas, and Pip were pouring their own attacks into the beast... he had to keep its attention firmly on himself, not on his friends or the townsfolk, as many as might be left.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I assume we're alright to go ahead after Bran's turn, feel free to post outcomes from before this if needed.

Going back to normal CTA/CTD allocations

Actions:
    0.5: Reaction on Hellhound's turn
    1.5: Attack! (1d20+3)[10]
    Damage (disadv): (1d8+2)[9] (1d8+2)[4]
    2.5: Attack! (1d20-1)[9]
    Damage (disadv): (1d8+2)[5] (1d8+2)[7]
    3.0: Parry with the broadsword

If I understand correctly from the discussion last turn, using a shield block means your shield is no longer raised, correct? But if I parry, I can shield block one attack, then benefit from the parry cover save (which is better than the passive shield bonus)? I think I'll go for that. If it doesn't work like that and the parry won't be useful I'll instead step back to U9, open up room for the shooty fellows.

-----

18. - Top - End - #348
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Felpip Nindlenorn

The world’s a tunnel with four inside; and a fifth without, trying to blow them free.

Fire breath. Fired arrows. Fire blast.

Cassius’ charge reminds Pip that, in fact, they’re still at Crossroad’s inn. And eyes are there to see, not to dream. To watch courage pierce the impenetrable. It can be done!

Aiming, Pip shouts (the squeak he hears instead is clearly just the strain of his crossbow’s string!)

If only he can match the bravery of his friend, and not, at the same time, hit him.

Spoiler
    Show
    1.0 Aims at HH Alpha

2.0 Fires crossbow at HH Alpha (Adv because of aim) (1d20+3)[18] (1d20+3)[19]
    Being very careful not to hit allies (1d100)[60]
    Damage (DisAdv because of HH’s resistance) (1d6+1)[7] (1d6+1)[6]

3.0 Reloads crossbow

19. - Top - End - #349

More motes of flame descend on the giant hellhound...

Spoiler
    Show

1: Cover
    2. Dex Save (1d20+4)[15] Failure
    3. Dex Save (1d20+4)[19] Success
    Last edited by Zman; 2020-05-22 at 02:50 PM.

20. - Top - End - #350

Narrowly dodging the worst of the flame, the beast is peppered by bolts and arrows courtesy of Elakas and Pip and pressed by sword slash after slash from Cassius...

Spoiler
    Show

Round 2
    Elakas hits, Pip hits
    Regen for Fire Damage (1d4)[4] and for its turn (1d4)[4] No flamebreath for him!
    Last edited by Zman; 2020-05-22 at 03:00 PM.

21. - Top - End - #351

Hellhound

The massive beast lunges at Cassius finding his shield instead... the beast overpowers him and pulls the knight to the ground. Sensing the flanking maneuver by Elakas the beast leaps over and snaps at him with its fiery jaws... but the fates smile on Elakas and he is spared the demon's razor teeth...

Spoiler
    Show

1.0 Attack Cassius Hit: Shield Block (1d8+4)[9](1d8+4)[8] Piercing Damage, DAdv for magic shield 8 Damage to the shield vs DR8, sheidl loses 0WP
    On Hit: Trip (1d20+8)[20] vs DC 14 Cassius is Prone, again. That is crazy, they have to beat your passive by 5 to knock you prone.
    2.0 Double step to R7
    3.0 Attack Elakas [roll]1d20+2[/roll] for [roll]1d8+4[/roll] Piercing +1 Fire DAmage See next post. Narrow Miss, it would have been the rest of Elakas' HP and put him on his butt, but alas, luck is turnin!S]On Hit: Trip (1d20+8)[20] vs DC 13[/S]

Initiative
    Elakas, Pip, Cassius
    Hellhound
    Bran

Last edited by Zman; 2020-05-22 at 03:23 PM.

22. - Top - End - #352

Spoiler
    Show

Oops, lets try that again
    (1d20+4)[12] (1d8+2)[8] +1

23. - Top - End - #353
    Titan in the Playground

Bran Aelfstone
    Bran's continues channeling fire, hoping to actually be effective one of these days.
    Spoiler
    Show
    dexterity DC16
    fire blast, channeled
    1. (1d6+2)[3](1d6+2)[4]
    2. (1d6+2)[6](1d6+2)[8]
    3. (1d6+2)[7](1d6+2)[6]

I really think targeting the unengaged end of a large figure should avoid or reduce miss chance, but here it is anyway.
    (1d100)[9]
    (1d100)[22]
    (1d100)[94]

24. - Top - End - #354

Bran, siphoning flames from the raging inferno looses bolt after bolt of flame, possessing a seemingly endless and deep well of power... The first bolt misses wide, but is close enough to Elakas to cause his eyes to widen...

Spoiler
    Show

Dex Saves
    1.0 Might hit Elakas(1d20+4)[22]
    2.0 Missed to due to firing into melee
    3.0 (1d20+4)[9] Hit: 6-1 = 5HP

Initiative
    Elakas, Pip, Cassius
    Hellhound
    Bran
    Last edited by Zman; 2020-05-26 at 08:14 PM.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Felpip Nindlenorn

Encouraged by the successful strikes of his friends against their foe, Pip prepares his crossbow and aims to do the same.

Spoiler: Rinse and…
    Show
    1.0 Aims at HH Alpha

2.0 Fires crossbow at HH Alpha (Adv because of aim) (1d20+3)[12] (1d20+3)[14]
    Being very careful not to hit allies (1d100)[65]
    Damage (DisAdv because of HH’s resistance) (1d6+1)[4] (1d6+1)[2]

3.0 Reloads crossbow

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cassius Mortain

Braced for a followup attack which did not come, Cassius realizes that the reason the beast left him alone was to go after Elakas instead! It must think the elf was the easier target. But it had left him behind it - pushing himself to his feet (again!) he charges towards its hind end with a shout, aiming a powerful stroke at it with his broadsword.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    0.5: Stand up
    1.0: Step to T7 (flanking with Elakas)
    2.0: Attack! (1d20+5)[10] (already added +2 bonus for flanking)
    Damage (disadv): (1d8+2)[7] (1d8+2)[4]
    3.0 Attack! (1d20+1)[7] (already added +2 bonus for flanking)
    Damage (disadv): (1d8+2)[5] (1d8+2)[8]

-----

27. - Top - End - #357
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Elakas Morkasion

Face-to-face with the beast, Elakas could taste its vile presence. The hot, sulfur-wet breath panted mercilessly on his face. Frozen for just a second in fear of the beast's charge, his companions deeds snapped him out of his trance. "Kill the beast!"

Spoiler: Actions!
    Show

1) Fire at hellhound (close combat shooter coming into play. Cover's at 30 and no AoE against me) at (1d20+4)[13] for (1d8+1)[4]
    2) Draw dagger and attack at disadvantage (quick draw) (1d20+2)[13][roll]1d20+2[roll] (2nd attack, +2 perfect flank) for (1d4+2)[5](1d4+2)[5]
    3) Attack a 3rd time! (1d20-2)[14] for (1d4+2)[6](1d4+2)[5]

28. - Top - End - #358

Pip takes careful aim again, but the hellbeast has little to fear from mundane arrows... Casius regains his feat and presses the beast again, unable to coordinate well enough with Elakas to deliver a telling blow, but was ufficient enough of a distraction to allow Elaks his own chance at pressing the beast... but Elakas is forced to pull his shot to protect Cassius... switching to his dagger he presses in on the beast...

Spoiler
    Show

Ok. Pip Hits for 1HP
    Cassius misses twice.

Elakas(1d100)[2] HitsLame!
    Misses due to disadvantage for quick draw
    and hits! 5-1 = 4HP

Last edited by Zman; 2020-05-27 at 04:30 PM.

29. - Top - End - #359

Spoiler
    Show

Regen Flame Breath (1d4)[1]Regenerated... hmmm...
    Last edited by Zman; 2020-05-27 at 09:27 PM.

30. - Top - End - #360

Hellhound Alpha

The horrible fiend, sensing its danger for the first time, quickly sidesteps to avoid having enemies on both sides. Concentrating on the the nimble elf, the great beast snaps at him with is horrible jaws... Elakas manages to avoid the worst of it, but is ripped off his feet, narrowly avoiding the jaws that could bite clean through his limbs...

Spoiler
    Show

1.0 Double Step
    2.0 Attack Elakas (1d20+6)[20] for (1d8+4)[7] Piercing +1 Fire Damage Hit: 8-1 = 7HP, Elakas is at 1HP remaining
    Trip [roll]1d20}6[/roll] vs DC13 Ugg, see next postElakas is Prone
    3.0 Attack Elakas (1d20+2)[8] if Adv (1d20+2)[11] for [roll] 1d8+4[/roll] Piercing +1 Fire Damage Miss, even with Advantage.
    Trip [roll]1d20}6[/roll] vs DC13Ugg, see next post

Initiative
    Pip, Elakas, Cassius
    Hellhound Alpha
    Bran

Last edited by Zman; 2020-05-27 at 09:37 PM.