New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: BSF: Red Sun Rising(IC)

When Bran sees three of the patrons leave the inn, talking of finding the girl, he slinks after them. It isn't easy keeping up in the mud and rain; he struggles to keep them in sight while remaining unseen.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

A Dark and Rainy Road

The rain doesn't let up, but the trio and their unknown tag-a-long keep on trudging on. The constant patter of rain makes it difficult to hear and the dark makes it difficult to see, but pose little difficulty for keen elf or gnome ears accustomed to them.

Pip's and Elakas' ears pick up the unmistakable, at least to Elakas, sounds of growling and sharp teeth shredding flesh. The sounds are faint, his best guess is they're maybe a hundred feet ahead in the direction of the muddy road...

Spoiler
    Show

Near Dark, Damp, Large Water Supply
    The DC is 5 for hearing these sounds. Rain causes a Disadvantage, and there is Disadvantage at 50'/100'/200'/400'. Elakas and Pip has Keen ears granting him an Advantage. Anything resulting worse than Double Disadvantage will be a failure.

Elakas hears them at 100'
    Pip hears them at 100'
    Cassius hears them at 50'
    Bran hears them at 50'(Assuming he is further behind and will not)

Does anyone have a torch out? How are you equipped, etc.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Bran Aelfstone

Bran continues on, not stopping until close enough to notice unusual action by those he follows.
    Spoiler
    Show
    no torch, dagger sheathed.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Felpip Nindlenorn

"Did you hear that?" Pip whispers to his companions. "Up ahead, I can't quite make out what it is, but it doesn't sound friendly."

He blinks through the rain, seeing only his breath, a little cloud, pierced-through and disappearing.

"Good Elakas, I'm guessing you may have a strong connection to the natural world. If you wish to have a look at what lies ahead, I'll happily follow, or not get in your way at all. The same for you Sir Cassius. I imagine you have many skills you can bring to bear. However, if you both prefer, I'm happy to move quietly ahead alone and do a bit of scouting. What do you think? It takes quite a bit to notice me."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    If Elakas and Cassius accept Pip's offer, he will move ahead to scout, using Stealth (Move Silently and Hide) wherever necessary. (Would you like me to include his stats on these skills Zman? Or are you happy enough to look at his sheet?)

He'll draw his dagger too, but make no use of light.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Elakas Morkasion

That sounds like a wise plan, Pip. Be careful ahead there, though. Whatever it is sounds vicious. I wouldn't be surprised if you meet a wolf.

Show
    No torch. Elakas will equip his bow and nock an arrow but not draw. I would like to be in position to shoot at a wolf if I can positively identify it.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cassius Mortain

Cassius picks up the noise after his companions, and after Firebrand, who skips and starts nervously at the sound of a predator nearby. He calms the horse down a bit before dismounting. "Too muddy for the lance," he says mostly to himself, leaving the long weapon in its holster on the saddle. He plants his torch in the ground to keep a bit of light and straps his shield to his arm. "If you find trouble, shout and we'll be there." He rests a hand on the hilt of the sword by his side, holding Firebrand's reins and staring into the darkness towards the sound of... whatever it is out there. "If the girl was taken by some wild animal..." he shakes off the thought.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

7. - Top - End - #37

Ruins of the Wagon

In the dark and dank night, Pip sneaks forward, doing his best to be quiet. But, like Elakas behind him, the ground is muddy and slick and the dark is treacherous. Getting closer the sounds of tearing flesh subside, the cause is initially unknown. With a few more steps forward Pip realizes the cause, out of the darkness loom two huge wolves, easily as tall as Pip at their back. Though dark, Pip notices the unmistakable dangle of entrails from one of the sharp jaws. The wolves, their posture possessive, have ripped open the belly of a horse, still harnessed to its wagon...

Spoiler
    Show

MAP

Maps will update with a new tab for each round. Just list your coordinates when you move. Remember, when moving diagonal ever other one costs 10' of movement instead of 5'.

No initiative as yet, the wolves are not initially attacking but are clearly guarding their claimed meal which is quite obviously the wagon that was carrying the family.

Last edited by Zman; 2020-03-03 at 09:51 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Felpip Nindlenorn

Pip blinks at the at the piercing eyes, silent curses at sucking mud forgotten. Instead he's keenly aware of teeth, and his own skin, and the faint, raw smell of a poor dead horse that almost feels as if it's gliding over him.

He backs up very slowly -- Only prey runs away; or so he's heard! -- swapping his dagger for his crossbow in hands that are anything but threatening.

When he's as close as he can get to where he thinks Elakas may be following, he whispers, voice urgent: "Wolves ahead. Large ones! I think they've found what we're looking for. They're busy at their dinner now, but for how long?"

He tries to scratch his head, nearly bumping his crossbow into his chin in the process. "If only there were some way to scare them off."

Show
    On encountering the wolves, Pip moves backwards for 20 to N21, swapping his dagger for his crossbow at the same time, to try to get close enough to warn Elakas. If the wolves grow aggressive, he'll fire a shot at the lead one as soon as their intent is clear -- attack of opportunity or initiative allowing (if the wolves action starts a new round), and cry out for help.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Elakas Morkasion

Elakas slowly crept to next to the retreating dwarf. He quietly attempts to gauge the situation.

Did you see how many there were, Pip? I can't quite make it out in this light, but I know wolves rarely hunt alone. I think the three of us could handle two or three if we can attack first, but an entire pack would be too much for us, I think.

Show

Elakas will move up to M21 to be next to Pip. Then designate "wolves" as a hunt target and attempt to listen carefully to gauge the number of wolves near here.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Bran Aelfstone

s Bran continues to follow the trio, he notices some unusual activity. He creeps closer for a better look.
    Spoiler
    Show
    single action to move to L7, stealth (move silently) (1d20+4)[21]

11. - Top - End - #41

Wolves and the Wagon

Pip, coming face to face with a pair of ferocious looking wolves does the sensible thing and slowly backs away. Their eyes watch him intently, a low growl escaping their sharp snarls. There ears are perked and there is no doubt they've caught a good whiff of ode de pip. Pip slowly backs out of sight, his night eyes seeing as well as the wolves in the near dark night.

With Pip's warning, Elaskas moves forward, meeting Pip. He keen hunter's senses easily able to pick up the sounds of the pair of wolves. He's sure only two are feeding at the horse.

Bran, sensing there is something amiss creeps closer to Cassius, the noble man unaware of his presence and passing.

Spoiler
    Show

You will never ever roll Perception(Spot or Listen). They are senses that are always used passives with stacking Advantages and Disadvantages based on the situation. Elakas is Aware of both wolves and knows their general direction, but he is unable to Locate them and they are Unseen.

It Pip did want to try and surprise the wolves with his crossbow, he'd need to attempt a bluff to conceal his hostile motives. Given they are animals, their Insight's would be at Disadvantage or Double Disadvantage. Surprise Rounds are only a single action, in this case, just long enough for him to fire a bolt before normal initiative was acted out.

Intimidating the wolves away from their meal is also a viable option... though I'm not sure Pip is the right man(1/2 man) to do that given his Untrained status.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Felpip Nindlenorn

Pip smiles, relieved at Elakas' demeanor and knowledge.

"I saw two of them. They seemed so intent on guarding their their food that they didn't pursue me. I'm at a loss to say if there are any others. Perhaps they will have had enough to eat soon. When Cassius reaches us... if we make a threatening show of approaching them, might they run off?

And then it dawns on him, the light of a new idea brightening the dark! Isn't surprise always better than threats?

"Elakas, my friend, it's just come to me what is best! Would you do me a favor? I will return closer to the wolves to distract them. Would you be able to hasten to Cassius and then follow me as quickly as possible? Just in case my plan doesn't work, well-- as planned?"

Doesn't work? Before any more of those dark-again thoughts, Pip nods as reassuringly as possible and turns to walk swift and quiet back to the wolves.

Show
    When he comes into eye contact with them again, he attempts to bluff them to conceal his hostile motives, and get a surprise shot at one with his crossbow. (Further hoping that this will scare the survivor off, or that his friends will return quickly!)

I'll put his bluff check roll in the OOC thread.
    Last edited by Estre; 2020-03-03 at 04:25 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43

Wolves at the Wagon- Surprise Round

Upon gathering Cassius, Pip and Elakas close in on the wolves again. Pip raises his hand to get Cassius to stop as soon as the wolves are well within sight and their snarling at the approaching horse and light risks their attack.

Pip carefully sights down his crossbow, taking careful aim as to not risk tipping the wolves off to his hostile intent. With a slow exhalation of breath he looses a bolt...

Spoiler
    Show

Surprise Round Action
    Crossbow vs Flatfooted W2 (1d20+2)[21](1d20+2)[20] for (1d6)[5] Piercing Damage Hit: 5 Wound Point Damage, Passes Wound Threshold of 4, Wolf 2 is Wounded

Initiative!
    Cassius (1d20+1)[10]
    Elakas (1d20+3)[4]*Mod should be +3 not +4 on sheet
    Bran (1d20+2)[20]
    Pip (1d20+3)[4]

Wolf 1 (1d20+2)[16]
    Wolf 2(1d20+2)[15]

Initiative Order
    Bran
    Wolf 1
    Wolf 2
    Cassius
    Pip
    Elakas

*Used Dex then Acu to determine initiative tiebreaker

Round 1
    Last edited by Zman; 2020-03-04 at 11:42 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Bran Aelfstone

The twang of the crossbow snaps Bran's head up. The pained cry of the wolf makes him jump. Run? Forward or away?

Forward.

The small form darts alongside the mounted warrior, a candle in his hand. Anyone looking twice may note the absence of any candle, simply a small flame, unsupported by normal means of combustion. It grows rapidly, raindrops flashing to steam as they near it. It flies forward, splitting in two, one ball toward each wolf.
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1 action) move to M23 (20 feet per move)

1 action: manifest firebolt on W1, 3PP (2 base +1 channeling penalty) (1d4+2)[4] fire damage

1 action: manifest firebolt on W2, 3PP (2 base +1 channeling penalty) (1d4+2)[6] fire damage

Reflex DC 15

15. - Top - End - #45

The sizzle of rain striking the bolts of flame fills the space between heartbeats as the bolts dart towards the wolves in the dark. The first bolt casually snuffs itself out in the wet mud at the first wolf's paw, the second scorches hair off the back of the wounded wolf... with a snarl, the first wolf eyes the source of the flame...

Spoiler
    Show

W1 Flatfooted (1d20+5)[24](1d20+5)[22] vs 4 Damage Success: Miss

W2 Flatfooted and Wounded (1d20+5)[19](1d20+5)[18](1d20+5)[21] vs 6 Damage Success: Miss

Ok, that was a 19, 17, 14, 13, 16 for die rolls. I guess that is why we roll the dice.

Edit: Technically, Bran wouldn't have been able to see the wolves(darn human vision), but would have been aware of them. So, narratively it makes sense they didn't find their mark.
    Last edited by Zman; 2020-03-04 at 09:28 AM.

16. - Top - End - #46

annoyed Re: BSF: Red Sun Rising(IC)

Wolves

The wolves, caught by the ambush spring into action, the first eyeing the source of the flame, the second, wounded, the source of its pain...

The first wolf darts through the dark towards the source of the flame, lashing out with its jaws, unable to find purchase. Without stopping the wolf continues its hit and run...

The second wolf barrels towards Pip, but wounded, its unable to snag him, retreats, its wound draining the fight out of it...

Spoiler
    Show

W1
    1.0 Move 40' to L24
    2.0 Bite Attack vs Bran (1d20+3)[7] for (1d6+2)[5] Piercing Damage Miss Triggers Trip Combat Maneuver on Hit (1d20+4)[18] vs 15(13 Passive with Adv for M. Arts. and +2 for CTD) Bran has Improved Defensive Martial arts for a 20% Cover Save (1d100)[21]
    3.0 Either Move to H28

W2(Wounded)
    1.0 Move 40' to P26
    2.0 DAdv. Bite Attack vs Pip(1d20+3)[21](1d20+3)[9] for (1d6+2)[3] Piercing Damage MissTriggers Trip Combat Maneuver on Hit DAdv. (1d20+4)[23](1d20+4)[19] vs 12(10 Passive and +2 for CTD)
    3.0 Move 40' to S33(No AoO for Spring Attack)

The wounded wolf does not appear to be positioning itself to continue the attack.

Initiative Order
    Bran
    Wolf 1
    Wolf 2
    Cassius, Pip, Elakas

Last edited by Zman; 2020-03-04 at 11:47 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Elakas Morkasion

Show
    Hoping I do this right. Please correct me as needed.

A singing bolt, a flash of fire, and the quick snap of jaws. The flurry of action could easily leave one disoriented and confused, but Elakas saw the direction his prey had left, and knew that one carefully placed shot could end any hunt. Drawing on past experience, he stepped off the muddy trail toward his prey and, seeing it in the low light, carefully aimed at the foe before loosing his first arrow.

Show

1) Move south-west on the map until Elakas can see W1. (If I'm getting everything correct, should be at 30' or M26)

2) Aim

3) Fire the previously knocked arrow at W1 (1d20+3)[15](1d20+3)[5] with advantage on damage due to point blank shot (1d8)[5](1d8)[4]

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Felpip Nindlenorn

Pip looks at Elakas and breathes a sigh of relief. "That was close! Thank you for returning so quickly. I think our furry friends didn't take kindly to my surprise!" He laughs, then turns to look again at the source of those two shocking darts of fire that just tore through the sky. Could it be the performer from the tavern? Pip feels as flabbergasted as the wolves seemed at the sight. What a relief the boy eluded the beast that tried to seize him.

"I think we've got a timely real friend," Pip says to Elakas, "one that seems to be very capable of looking after himself. But I wouldn't place a bet on any of our safety with that uninjured wolf still lurking somewhere. Did you see the size of it, and how swiftly it moved? I have a fair idea of the direction of its flight. Maybe we can locate it and fire off a few more shots before it can approach again?"

Spoiler: Pip's round 1 actions
    Show
    Pip readies his crossbow and moves, cautiously, to M27. Since he's out of the wolf's line of sight now (I believe), is it worth it to make a stealth roll?

19. - Top - End - #49

An arrow through the dark... a yelp of pain, Elakas' arrow found its mark...

Spoiler
    Show

Wolf has choice of 10% cover from the shrubs or its 30% dodge ability, it's taking its dodge ability... (1d100)[36] Failure; Hit: 5WP Damage; Wolf 1 is Wounded
    Last edited by Zman; 2020-03-04 at 02:18 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Felpip Nindlenorn

Elakas' shot, and a yelp, draws Pip's attention to a fierce figure at the edge of Cassius' flamelight.

Pip raises his crossbow and fires.

Spoiler
    Show
    Pip's R1 full sequence:

1. Reload Crossbow
    2. Move to M27
    3. Fire bolt at W1 [Roll1d20+2] If it hits, damage roll is [Roll1d6]

Apologies if I got anything wrong.

21. - Top - End - #51

...but this time Pip's aim is not as true as it was the first time...

Spoiler
    Show

Pip's shot misses.

Initiative Order
    Bran
    Wolf 1
    Wolf 2
    Cassius, Pip, Elakas
    Last edited by Zman; 2020-03-04 at 03:17 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cassius Mortain

Firebrand starts at the sudden gout of flame nearby, the flurry of action and smell of blood... but he’s been trained for battle, and responds to Cassius’s commands nevertheless. He spurs the horse forward, towards the wolf which had come nearer—attacking someone by his horse, someone who seemed to be able to conjure fire. Time to worry about who that was later.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Actions:
    1.0: move to H27/I27
    2.0: Cut with the broadsword vs wolf 1: (1d20+2)[13], damage: (1d8+2)[5]
    3.0: parry with the sword (since my shield is stowed)

Let me know if I made any particular mistakes... I’m posting on my lunch break from my phone, can’t really pull up the rules. In particular I can’t remember whether parry is a full or half action, and how exactly it works/how it interacts with the parry special ability. Regardless, I think the actions themselves are valid.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

-----

23. - Top - End - #53

the thunder of hooves, a flash of steel in the torchlight. With a precise blow Cassius manages to kill the wounded wolf...

Only one wolf remains, wounded, already beginning to seek its escape...

Spoiler
    Show

And 5WP Damage takes out the wolf. Parry is an action, but the Parry weapon property allows you to parry as a 1/2 actions vs a full action. Only problem with the turn would be that moving to that spot would have have triggered an AoO for moving through threatened space. But moving to I27 and stepping to H27 would have been just fine. Cassius had the actions for it with the half action left over from his parry.

Initiative Order
    Bran
    Wolf 1
    Wolf 2
    Cassius, Pip, Elakas

Bran is up, the remaining wolf appears like it is fleeing, so if you want to wrap up the encounter, feel free to just narrate its fleeing and we can move on to the wagon.
    Last edited by Zman; 2020-03-05 at 02:01 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

With one wolf on the ground and the other in flight, Bran looks around sheepishly, then stares at the ground. He squeaks out, Uh...hi?"

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Elakas Morkasion

One wolf is clearly dead and the other is limping off into the night, heavily wounded. The hunt is over quickly, and the time to investigate the wagon has come. But first, thanks to the source of that flame. Turning completely around, Elakas comes once again upon a helpful face.

Well, a pleasure to see you again. That's twice tonight you've helped me, and I still don't know your name. I am Elakas Morkasion, and I find myself indebted to you again. I'll be sure to settle up once this is all over, but for now, I suggest that we do our best to investigate this wagon. The horse is done for, but its occupants may still be saveable.

26. - Top - End - #56

The Ruined Wagon

Elakas barely finishes his sentence when the torchlight brings a boot, a normal well-worn boot, into focus. Unfortunately, the boot has an owner, the blood covered body of a human man in his mid thirties. It is clear by the broken arrow protruding from his back that he died quickly, but not so quick enough that he couldn't crawl a few feet towards the back of the wagon and a second bloody heap, a woman of the same age. She had been shot in the leg before being cut down in an attempt to flee. The only remarkable thing about the two bodies and their ransacked wagon was the same necklace each worn, carved copper coin bearing the likeness of her Lady Luck, Tymora. On the back of each coin bears the inscription, "A copper to the Lady returns tenfold in gold."

If one looks close enough, they can even find another pool of old blood, but this one's body is alive and sleeping in the Innkeeper's bed.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cassius Mortain

Cassius wheels his horse around, prepared to deal with the other wolf as well, but does not pursue when it flees into the night. The wounded predator is almost certainly not coming back for more. Instead, he sheathes his sword, returning to see who the mighty wizard that was casting firebolts was--and is surprised to find a young boy. The one who healed the injured lad in the tavern? "An impressive bit of magic there, especially for one so young. And you healed the injured boy back there, as well?" He sheathes his blade and dismounts his horse. "Well, thank you for your assistance. Certainly helped show them off quickly. Although things are dangerous out here, and magic can only get you so far. Best stick with us until we get back into town." He's a bit conflicted--it goes against his instincts taking such a young person into a fight, but it's probably safer than letting him wander out on his own. Plus, he seems capable of handling himself well enough...

On foot, Cassius makes his way over to the wagon, torch in hand... he whispers a quiet prayer to Kelemvor for their souls to have a safe passage. "Definitely not the work of animals.. the wolves were just scavenging," he comments, noting the arrows. He examines the area for tracks left by the bandits.

Show
    Survival check? (1d20+5)[16] (trained-3 ranks)

I think I got the correct deity... going for basically the equivalent of Pharasma in Pathfinder, as a keeper of the dead. Again, I know very little about FR lore.
    Last edited by rs2excelsior; 2020-03-05 at 09:39 PM.

-----

28. - Top - End - #58

Trail into the Woods

It doesn't take Cassius long to find drag marks and a fresh trail heading north off the road, but with the rain and inclement weather, it'll be slow going...

Spoiler
    Show

Trail is detected, though can be followed at only 1/4 speed. Continued Tracking will be a passive check, so Cassius would lose the trail once it got older, say after a full day had passed. Luckily, now that Cassius has noticed the trail, he can point it out to Elakas who will be able to follow it at full speed due to his higher skill modifier and his Tracker Feat.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Felpip Nindlenorn

Pip is trying to catch his breath; it’s just as quick as the wounded wolf; both flying, one now fled, into intangibility. It’s a pity really. They weren’t being aggressive. Just wanted to eat. In the wrong place.

And not just them.

He stands far from Cassius’ torchlight, yet he can see what it shows: a grim scene of last moments, and a rudely handled wagon.

The wagon? What a thing to think of at this moment!

Breath now caught, Pip turns to the magical youth. Both of his companions spoke kindly to him. They were right to. “I also think you should join us. Felpip Nindlenorn at your service. But please do call me Pip if you like.” He smiles.

Cassius seems like he’s investigating the trail now. Perhaps he is a tracker. Perhaps Elakas is. Unfortunately, the country and its ways are as unfamiliar to Pip as whatever choices they are acting on now. With gratitude though, he will happily follow where they lead.

Before doing so, he heads back to the spot where he shot and missed the dead wolf, hoping to retrieve his bolt. Could still be usable. Then, when there is no longer any activity around the wagon, he goes there. Something twinkled in the firelight. Two somethings. Probably the wounded boy in the inn would like to have them back. “Copper returns tenfold in gold.” Lady Luck.

Pip tries to suppress a bitter laugh as he takes two necklaces from the dead and puts them in his pouch.

Show
    If the above isn’t clear, Pip takes the copper Tymora necklaces from the bodies near the wagon, and tries to do so when none of his companions are watching.

I’m not sure what the rules are on retrieving arrows. If they’re normally irretrievable and he just finds something shattered I’ll know for again!

Pip has no tracking and limited survival skills – so will definitely follow Elakas wherever he leads.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Bran Aelfstone

The boy keeps looking at the ground, clearly embarrassed by the attention. He gets his name out in a whisper, "Bran."

As the others scatter to investigate the wagon, sensing that he didn't want to look inside, he wanders off to look at the dead wolf, poking it with a stick. When the others appear to be ready to leave, he trots back over. He looks at Cassius, "You have a sword!"