New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: BSF: Red Sun Rising(IC)

Tracking through the damp night, Elakas brings the group to a halt...

Spoiler
    Show

It has been maybe a half hour and Elakas is finding more tracks, doubting it would be long before they found the source. This area appears significantly more traveled, essentially forming a more traveled trail. Anyone could follow it right now.

What are you doing for equipment, light, etc?
    Last edited by Zman; 2020-03-11 at 07:40 AM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Bran Aelfstone
    (previous scene)
    Bran listens to Elakas's explanations of tracking intently, brow furrowed in concentration. He can see everything that is pointed out, but would never have noticed them on his own. He nods, pretending the he has a clue what 'xylem' is.

(current scene)
    Bran keeps tagging along, having to take extra steps to keep up.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bran keeps his dagger in his belt and is relying on light from the others, though can light/hold a torch if asked. He won't realize that holding a torch makes you a target in the dark.

3. - Top - End - #93

The group continues on, the trail becoming easier and easier to follow. Pip is the first to notice it, Elakas does as well as soon as he looks up. The humans have to strain their eyes but can find it as well when told where to look... a pin of light off in the distance... they're getting close to their destination...

Spoiler
    Show

Another fifteen or twenty minutes have passed, so it is somewhere near 2am now.

You're nearing the ruins of Watchpoint at the top of the hill. One or two points of light are detected far off into the distance. From here you don't have the lay of the land. It is still Near Dark ie a moonlit night.

Is the plan still for Pip to scout ahead?

4. - Top - End - #94
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Felpip Nindlenorn

"And there it is," Pip glances from the pin light into the eyes of his friends, seeing it dancing there. "Might that be what we're after?"

He drums his fingers on his chin, then squints, slowly nodding. "Elakas, my friend, I'd happily wager that your senses are sharper than mine. Do you think we're near the hilltop? Some sort of structure on the summit. Can't really make it out. I wonder though... Would it be agreeable to the three of you to wait near there? I can do like I did with the wolves and approach the light we've just seen, in silence, to find out who is making it. If it is the bandits, and I am discovered, I'll return to you in haste. Perhaps if there is something on the hilltop, it might be a place to shelter and also to strike at them from?"

He smiles and shrugs, "One way or another, I'll be back again soon."

Spoiler: Pip's proposal
    Show
    If anyone objects, Pip will stop and go with their plan instead. Otherwise, he draws his dagger, then tries to gain as much cover as he can while heading towards the light, using stealth (move silently) to get as close as possible and stealth (hide) to get a good look at what the party is facing.

5. - Top - End - #95

As Pip creeps forward, doing his best to stay out of sight and silent, moving from cover to cover he approaches the edge of a clearing... and sees the runes of Watchpoint Keep. The building is huge by gnomish standards, but modest in size by human standards. Maybe sixty feet wide and built into the hillside's rocky peak. There are two torches out in front of what looks like an aged and weathered double door cut into the hillside. Rising above are stone walls with a modest tower. The east, or right most, section of the keeps walls have fallen. There is faint illumination touching the walls and ruined windows, there is some light coming from within the keep.

Pip is unable to see anyone moving, if there are guards they are hidden away from the only usable light.

Spoiler
    Show

Stealth(Hide) (1d20+6)[7] Good thing you're in the dark and this check wasn't terribly necessary, haha.
    Stealth(Move Silently) (1d20+7)[20]

Ok, you've facing a keep whose doors are ground level cut into the hill peak. The main keep sits on the kill tops a level above the main door. You've got one tower on the left side that rises a full story or so above the main level. The keep is in disrepair and it right walls have collapse on the steep hillside.

Two main potential access points are the main gates(appear in the shadowy light to be in disrepair) which have torches lighting them up or the right wall which would require some kind of unknown climb up a hillside, rubble, and ruined wall.
    Last edited by Zman; 2020-03-11 at 05:53 PM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Felpip Nindlenorn

Pip returns through the dark, the echo of his feet dancing around him all the jagged way from the crumbling keep. I was no more hidden than a bell he grumbles to himself, certain that if the walls had eyes, then they'd had a good look.

Mercifully, he finds his friends again with ease, and tells them all of what he's seen.

"So, those are the only two ways in I can tell: gate or ruined wall. I say we try the latter -- it seems much less likely to be watched, or at least there will be many more opportunities to remain unseen. That way we can hopefully learn who it is that has lit those lights. It mightn't even be the bandits. If it is though, then we'll have the hop on them!" Pip feels his smile fading. "Only thing, how do you all feel about climbing?"

He looks back to where he's come from. Somewhere dark and steep.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cassius Mortain

Cassius frowns, looking up towards the keep. "Out of my armor, I could manage, probably. In it..." He chuckles. "And besides, Firebrand here isn't the best climber. You said there was a gate, yes? Perhaps you three sneak around the wall, and I go right up to the gate. If we're lucky, they'll just let the girl go... and if not, their attention will be on me. Might let any slips go unnoticed."
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

8. - Top - End - #98
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Felpip Nindlenorn

Pip blinks at the tall knight. An odd reaction, an odder display of comprehension; he realizes. But it's as if-- if Pip were a rock and admiration were the sea, instead of crashing against him and roaring back, it's flowing straight through. And his eyes want to close, but he doesn't want to let them, because he can see the sun.

"A brave choice," Pip grasps his arm, "go well my friend. If you'll give me a head start, I will climb the ruined walls and be waiting at the top. Should the bandits attack, you will not be alone." He nods, then turns to dauntless Elakas and bold little Bran: "Either path is one of peril, I think. I have no doubt that you both shall remain as lions should you go with Cassius. If you wish to come with me instead, but doubt the climb, I will ascend first and then assist you, or even drop a rope if you prefer. Wall or gate, the choice is yours of course. But I think my path is set."

Spoiler: Pip's decision
    Show
    If Cassius agrees to give him a head start, Pip will immediately head back through the forest to ascend the rough ground and the collapsed wall. He'll help anyone who chooses to accompany him, if they wish, or even let them climb first if they prefer. IRL I'm going to have a pretty busy evening (it's early afternoon here right now) but will try to check in again later today if possible. If I end up holding anything back, I'd be happy for you to roll my acrobatics checks Zman, if that's not too much of a pain.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Bran Aelfstone

Bran thinks about it...the gate sounds scary. "I can climb. Well, trees. With lots of branches."

10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Elakas Morkasion

Elakas considered the options presented. An open gate would surely be well-watched. At the same time, a band with any brains would also know about their own stronghold's weaknesses. There was little reason to think that a guard wouldn't be posted by crumbling wall as well.

I do think we need to be careful, but we must be certain not to underestimate our enemy either. They'll probably be guarding any entance, including a hole in a crumbling wall, but maybe less vigilantly than the main gate, especially with Cassius presenting himself. If we can sneak in, we can probably limit the loss of life, so that would be my vote, but I'd hate to leave our friend alone. Perhaps it would be best if both Cassius and I distract them at the main gate while good sirs Pip and Bran try to stealthly enter through the other way? If all goes well, we can buy enough time simply attempting to talk with them to rescue the girl and leave with them none the wiser.

Hearing it said out loud, Elakas realizes his "plan" is little more than a dream. Wouldn't at least one bandit be guarding the girl at all times? Getting her without any others noticing would mean that Pip and Bran would need to...without any warning that his life was about to end...would that be justice? Maybe. Regardless, an innocent would be saved. And what if an all-out brawl were begun without the four being able to all help each other? Still, better to have SOMEONE with Cassius. The man shouldn't be expected to simply sacrifice himself for the girl.

No. We can all make it through this together. Elakas remembered his bravado back at the inn. Saved or at least avenged, right? Now that he was about to make good on those words, he wasn't so sure. Idle talk of a man thinking he could become a great hero just by wanting it. But he did want it. He HAD to make it happen, no matter how long it took. And this first step on that journey would be taken this very night, right now.

So, what do you think, friends? Two and two. Cassius and I wait here a moment for you two to get into position, then approach openly? If you agree, I would have to ask you to speak with them, sir Cassius. I can play the part of a silent guide, simply leading one as finely dressed as you on through these woods.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cassius Mortain

Cassius smiles at Elakas’s offer. “I’d be glad to have the help. With any luck, it won’t be needed. Best of luck, then to the two of you. We shall wait on your signal. If things do come to blows, I think you will know quickly enough.”

Cassius lets the others get on ahead, then dismounts and douses his torch, relying on what little moonlight there is and Elakas’s guidance to make it closer. He leads Firebrand on foot up to a point within relatively easy reach of the gate, though hopefully distant enough that their presence is unnoticed. He checks over his gear, offering quiet prayers to Helm as he does so—for strength and courage in the coming fight, for the girl’s safety, for the quiet movement of his friends and the inattentiveness of the bandits. Despite the preparations, now that it comes to it he’s nervous. He has trained, hunted, grown up around weapons as most of his station do... but if the bandits make a fight of it, this will be the first time he has tested his skill against men who want to kill him. He hopes he proves equal to the challenge, both for his own sake and those relying on him.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

-----

12. - Top - End - #102

The Ruins of Watchpoint Keep

The ruins of Watchpoint Keep loom in the darkness, faint flickers of light coming from within its walls, as the groups begins to execute their plan...

Casius and Elakas make their way to the edge of the underbrush and woods that had crept towards the ancient keep over the decades. A pair of torches burn outside of the front gates, illuminating the deep furrow into the hillside. Ancient geomancers must have dug out the stone for the keep from the center of the hillside. The human with his poor eyesight doesn't spot anything amiss, but the elf's keen eyes spot a hint of movement up at the top of the tower, a momentary shadow caused by the torchlight below.

The other two, the boy and gnome, flank the keep far to the right in search of a way to access the ancient keep. Pip, ever the surprise, moves silently through the underbrush and dark expanses, sure of food in the near dark. The boy, Bran, has difficulty finding his footing in the dark and makes a substantial amount of noise, but the wind whistling on the hilltop fades the sounds away in the wet hillside. Upon reaching the hillside they find a twenty foot climb ahead of them. ten feet of of a wet climb and a more difficult ten foot of slippery rock. Nestled securely, hidden from easy view, is a thick knotted rope ladder hanging down the rubble strewn rocky slope. Pip eyes the ladder suspiciously...

Spoiler
    Show

Map *Will fill in more when explored

Cassius and Elakas
    The tower is twenty feet wide and roughly thirty feet above the torches. The torchlight doesn't spread far enough for human eyes to see anything but darkness, but with darkvision, the torch provides enough light for Elakas to spot one hidden person up at the crenelations. It is safe to assume they have some kind of ranged weapon at the ready and are eyeing the torch-lit area.

Pip and Bran
    10' of DC10(-) Climb, Slippery for Disadvantage
    10'- of DC15(T) Climb, Slippery for Disadvantage

Ladder
    20' of DC5(-) Climb, Slippery for Disadvantage

Pip, thanks to his proficiency in Trapwork, sees potential problems with ladder. Its origin is up and over edge meaning it could be trapped and there is no way to figuring that out without interacting with it.

Now, Pip and Bran both already rolled one climb check. But, the check needs to be done at disadvantage so we'll need another roll from each of you for your continued climb.

Oh, and if Bran is going to signal the rest, he should do that. You can OOC what that is agreed to mean.

Last edited by Zman; 2020-03-13 at 09:28 PM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Elakas Morkasion

Elakas does his best to carefully survey their surroundings. Having half the group walk off finally shows him just how vulnerable they are approaching the keep. Did they make the wrong choice?

A dancing shadow interrupts his thoughts. Movement! So, they do have a guard posted through the night. He looks at his companion. Cassius appears to be either ignoring or ignorant of the guard. Elakas holds his hand up and whispers harshly.

Cassius, hold. I see movement inside the keep. Doubtless a guard. If we don't want to be shot at immediately, we should make ourselves known to them. Do you think Pip and Bran are ready?

14. - Top - End - #104
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Felpip Nindlenorn

Pip laces his fingers together and stretches them. Popping knuckles? No. Ready for the climb.

“There’s something about that ladder¬–” He looks at Bran, at innocence, a friend in the dark before a wet hill, and he sees the fire. Unseen and there. Rising, rise.

He wants to kneel down, offer a patted hand of reassurance on the boy’s head, but as ever they’re already, more or less, eye to eye.

“Let’s climb the wall side-by-side, and never reach for that false rope,” he offers instead. “What do you think? We don’t need a silly thing like that. This cliff is just a sideways floor. We will walk right up it! At the top, we can inspect the ladder and see if it really is a trick. No time for that now. Let us go up and find the sky. And maybe, if you wish to signal our friends, your flame will shine brightest when we are there?”

Spoiler: Geckos up the wall
    Show
    If Bran agrees, Pip will climb as close to him as possible and offer any assistance he needs. However, if Pip himself loses his footing, he will try to move far from the boy to avoid dragging him down.

Pip's first climb roll was 24.

Because of Disadvantage, here’s the second (fingers crossed): (1d20+7)[16]

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

While still in sight of where the others should be, Bran cups his hands and makes a candlelight, trying to shield it to make it less obvious to any defenders. He holds it for a moment, then shrugs, hoping he did it right. Then he extinguishes it and turns to climb.
    Spoiler
    Show
    climb check 2 (1d20+5)[22]

16. - Top - End - #106

With deft hands and sure feet, Pip and Bran begin scaling the crumbled and slippery wall. Within moments they've already scaled a fair amount of the challenge, leaving only the most difficult part ahead. With a difficult climb, maybe the height of a tall man, ahead of them, the light of a flickering torch can be seen dancing off the stone...

Spoiler
    Show

Both beat the initial challenge by enough to effectively move at their normal speed though the DC10(-) challenge taking it in one go. What is left is the DC15(T) Slippery section of wall.

Oh, and Pip and Bran need to give me a Stealth(Move Silently) check for all of this climbing. How quiet are you managing to be. Are they waiting until Elakas and Cassius do something, etc.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cassius Mortain

"I don't see anything, but I trust your eyes." He smiles, glad the elf had come with him--he might've walked straight into an arrow otherwise. "Keep an eye on him, and wait for the signal."

He sees the flash of light near the keep, which goes out quickly. "There, you saw that? I think that's Bran. Time to go." He hands Elakas his lance and climbs into Firebrand's saddle, settling his helm on his head and his shield on his arm, and holds out a hand for his lance back--any imperiousness in the gesture is unintentional, a product of the habit of having a serving man ready at hand to pass him his gear. Settled and geared for battle, he gives one final nod to Elakas, pats Firebrand's neck, and starts up towards the keep at a leisurely walk.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Are the yellow squares marked "T" torches? I agree that making ourselves known will be less likely to earn an arrow in the face before we get a chance to speak, but I don't have a hand free at the moment. If there's torchlight around the entrance that might be good enough.

Gonna wait to see what's up there before I post Cassius addressing the bandits.

EDIT: Also, I'm assuming I didn't need to make a check to notice the light, if that's not the case I'll roll it in the OOC and edit as needed.
    Last edited by rs2excelsior; 2020-03-15 at 09:14 AM.

-----

18. - Top - End - #108
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Elakas Morkasion

Elakas walks at a half-trot, trying to keep up with Cassius and his steed. Elakas thinks to himself: what is the best way to approach this keep? Maybe casual conversation? Make them think they're unaware of the situation and unafraid of the men inside? Maybe look leary and armed? Should I have my bow out and ready? No...let's play it cool. We're supposed to distract them, and doing so without fighting would be best. I'll pretend I'm just having a chat with Cassius.

Elakas begins to speak at a normal volume. At least, he hopes it sounds normal. With all the tension and adrenaline running through him, it's hard to tell.

It appears as if this old keep is occupied, sir. Do you think they might let us rest for the night? Your destination is still at least a half-day's travel and I don't think pressing on any longer would be wise. Though if whomever's here doesn't want our company, we'd be hard pressed to find a suitable campsite anymore tonight.

Spoiler: Deception?
    Show

I think this is the weirdest bluff attempt I've made. Elakas is trying to let the bandits know that we know that they're there, but to NOT let on that we've been looking for them. So I want them to know we know they know, but to NOT let them know that we already knew. Maybe this isn't even a roll, but that's up to the DM. Just in case, here it is.

Totally untrained. (1d20+1)[4]

Talking's on you now, Cassius. The elf is going mute(ish).

19. - Top - End - #109
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Felpip Nindlenorn

Pip catches his breath and smiles at Bran. “Well done! Just a little bit of wall before us. Look how short it is! We’ll be up it in no time. I’ll be right beside you – but you, my friend, are so fleet, I’m certain you’ll beat me to the top! Best we try and stay quiet though. If someone is watching the ridge of these crumbled rocks, better we see them before they see us.”

He stairs up into the sky, past the slick stones and the flickering of a hidden blaze that firefly winks along the coming ascent. Bran has made his own shining symbol for their friends, now far below. Pip whispers hope for their safety and prepares to ascend.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Acrobatics (expert):
    Roll 1 (1d20+7)[22]
    Roll 2 (1d20+7)[21]

Stealth (move silently):
    (1d20+7)[22]

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Bran Aelfstone
    Bran nods and contiues to clamber up the walls.
    Spoiler
    Show
    acrobatics (1d20+5)[13] trained

I've lost track of where we have disadvantage and my browser is having issues with GitPg making it harder to check, so if disadvantage (1d20+5)[12]

move silently (1d20+4)[11] untrained

21. - Top - End - #111

Watchpoint Keep

As Cassius and Elakas steadily move towards the torches and the gate, Elakas' ruse rings of the cracked walls and is greeted with a shout, "Boss! We've got company and I don't like it! Not one bit!" Invisible to Cassius' human eyes, but apparent to Elakas' elven ones, a glint of steel, the tip of a bolt, peaks out of the highest tower... "You take another step and I shoot!"

With the shout, a grumble, maybe the growl of a dog, can be heard from inside the keep...

Pip manages to quickly and silently scamper up the last bit of climb finding himself ready to crest the edge, but the boy struggles to find his footing and noisily, but hopefully not too noisily fails to make progress. Upon catching a glimpse over the ledge, Pip spies a rough looking young man facing away, looking up towards the tower and another yelling man. Far across the way, rousing from their apparent slumber around the campfire and more large shapes...

Spoiler
    Show

Ok, I'm using the different colors to represent different heights. BR1 is located up top. The rest are located on the main level, some are located under the archways supporting the tower.

In the center is a raised platform with rope bridges connecting it to each other side. It is a solid 10' drop to the entry level. There are stone stairs on either side of the entry area.

Cresting that ledge is only a DC10(-) check. Pip had enough left to finish the whole climb, but, he would be leaving Bran behind so I assumed he settled for just the 5' of progress. Pip has the difficult 5' of climb and the final ledge to crest.

Remember, Climbing only takes an action, so if this gets tossed into initiative we'll be able to do it step by step.

Elakas would know the growl wasn't a dog, something bigger.

See the updated map.
    Last edited by Zman; 2020-03-16 at 08:56 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Felpip Nindlenorn

Is the boy all right? Pip’s eyes move intently back down the slick surface he’s clinging to. Thank goodness. Bran is safely attached below.

An earlier glance over the ridge ahead was more a gaze into a picture, blurry and moving and urgent. And likely hostile, whether or not it showed the ones who had snapped terror through a wagon in the woods.

Friends below need help now; Bran most immediately of all. Why did you suggest the climb? Pip shakes his head, presses his teeth together. The boy will not be hurt. He will make sure of that.

Intent eyes move again. He snatches his rope from his satchel. Where to attach it? To himself if needs be. He glances again to the nearby ladder. Is it really trapped? Pip would love to know, but he lowers the rope to Bran instead, nodding confidently at the boy and hoping he can see. Once they’re both safe before the final ridge, the ladder can be checked. Pip moves as quickly and as quietly as he can to the boy, trying to get close enough to assist him. One way or another they will ascend safely into the blurry beyond.

Spoiler: Up and down and round and round
    Show
    Pip lowers his rope to Bran to lessen the difficulty check of the section of the climb he’s on. He’ll attach the rope to anywhere suitable (including himself). I can’t find in the rules if I need to make a check for this (sorry if I’m being blind!) I’ll post one right away if needed. If Pip is able to assist Bran beyond just lowering the rope (i.e. like trying to pull him up) he’ll do that too.

Finally, if Bran safely makes it up, and there’s time, Pip will inspect the ladder and attempt to see if it’s trapped, and if so, to disarm it. I think he should do a Thievery(Trapwork) check for this. Pip has expert proficiency, so I’m hoping that meets the proficiency gate. Below are two rolls in case he needs both. I’ll roll more if necessary, and maybe just disregard the second roll if it wasn’t needed zman? (Hope all of this is worth it, haha. The final ridge seems easy enough to climb, but the ladder makes it almost fail proof I guess. If all of this will take a lot of time and so mean delaying helping Cassius and Elakas though, Pip will abandon the idea and try to climb alongside Bran and assist him as earlier for the final stretch.

Trapwork roll 1
    (1d20+8)[19]

Trapwork roll 2
    (1d20+8)[16]

Scratch the rolls too! Based on the OOC exchange, Pip will not use the rope strategy, but will rather take an Assist action to help Bran with the climb. I'll put some rolls in a new IC post below.
    Last edited by Estre; 2020-03-17 at 08:00 AM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Bran frowns at the increasing steep task ahead of him, on the verge of a pout. He takes a deep breath, then sets his face in an almost comical imitation of grim determination and keeps at it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    acrobatics as needed
    1 (1d20+5)[25] (1d20+5)[7]
    2 (1d20+5)[23] (1d20+5)[13]
    3 (1d20+5)[22] (1d20+5)[11]
    4 (1d20+5)[24] (1d20+5)[21]
    5 (1d20+5)[16] (1d20+5)[14]

Move silently as needed
    1 (1d20+4)[5] (1d20+4)[14]
    2 (1d20+4)[5] (1d20+4)[12]
    3 (1d20+4)[6] (1d20+4)[11]
    4 (1d20+4)[23] (1d20+4)[14]
    5 (1d20+4)[7] (1d20+4)[6]

24. - Top - End - #114
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Felpip Nindlenorn

Pip is trying to silently slip over the walls and help Bran to join him at the top.

Spoiler
    Show
    Acrobatic rolls for climbing:
    (1d20+7)[9]
    (1d20+7)[24]

Stealth rolls for moving silently:
    (1d20+7)[21]
    (1d20+7)[20]

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cassius Mortain

Cassius stops Firebrand, glancing up at the vague shape of an archer on the walls. Try and lie their way in, or just be up front and demand they surrender... The latter had been his intention, but it seemed Elakas might've been thinking the former. He considers how to approach things for a moment... but thinking back to all the times he tried to lie to his mother about where he'd been the night before... well, maybe that wasn't the best idea. Direct it was.

"I am Cassius Mortain, son of Duke Alexander Mortain. You have killed several people and kidnapped a girl. Let her go unharmed, throw down your weapons, and face judgement, and you may see the sunrise again. Refuse, and my companions and I will end your lives. The choice is yours. We have already surrounded the fort." Not a lie, per se. Bran and Pip were behind them. He keeps any hint of nervousness from his voice--or at least he hopes he does.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    With no ranks in Bluff, I figure lying our way in isn't going to be the best bet. Hopefully this doesn't just get an arrow to the face!

Seems like this would be an intimidation check: (1d20+4)[9] (2 ranks, so trained I think?) (if Persuasion could apply instead, it'd be a +6 and he has 4 ranks)

Also going to Raise Shield as he approaches, and will Shield Block (if you can do that on ranged attacks?) if the demand is met with an arrow--if I read that correctly, that automatically causes the attack to hit the shield?

-----

26. - Top - End - #116

Watchpoint Keep-Tower

Bandit

The man yells back, "Hear that Boss? Son of a duke he says," the man laughs, "surrounded he says. Git yer ass up here and help me poke him full of holes!"

Boss

A sharp voice that must belong to Boss yells back, "Don't let em move, I'm coming!"

Watchpoint Keep

On the other end of the keep, Pip and Bran continue their climb. Pip pauses, ensuring the boy has the help he needs to finish the climb. Where Pip is cautious to the extreme, failing to finish the climb for his carefulness, Bran shows the brashness of youth, nearly vaulting over the ledge, far from silent. Over the ledge, Bran sees shapes rustling up around

Bandit

The young bandit, his back turned to Pip and Bran, suddenly becomes aware of his mistake, "**** all, we got company from the east! We surrounded!"

Before anyone can do anything, Pip scampers up over the ledge too...

Round 1

Spoiler
    Show

Failure on the Intimidate, but not quite Critical Failure bad.

I suppose that means we've got an initiative!
    Cassius(1d20+1)[5]
    Elakas(1d20+3)[23]
    Bran(1d20+2)[5]
    Pip(1d20+3)[20]

BR1(1d20+2)[15]
    BR2(1d20+2)[12]
    B??? (1d20+2)[10]

Depending on what happens, some more may join initiative, some may leave it etc, or there will be a chance to catch your breath between encounters etc.

Map

Initiative
    Elakas, Pip
    BR1, BR2, B???
    Bran, Cassius

We'll say Pip uses his first action to finish climbing the ledge. Elakas and Pip are up!
    Last edited by Zman; 2020-03-18 at 08:15 AM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Elakas Morkasion

"So, this is what we're doing then." Elakas silently thinks to himself. "Not all men can be reasoned with, an important lesson. Sometimes the only thing bad men understand is force. So be it."

Without a word, Elakas strides forward for a better shot, draws his bow and shoots at the bandit guarding the entrance.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

1) Move to I13 and draw bow. (Thanks Quick Draw! Also, I'm probably taking a bolt here.)
    1.5) Load an arrow
    2.5) Shoot at BR1 at (1d20+4)[11] for (1d8)[7](1d8)[7] (advantage due to Point Blank Shot)
    3) Load an arrow

28. - Top - End - #118

...as chaos erupts the telltale whistle of an arrow can be heard... as it flies between the crenelations and fortifications to bury itself through and through the right side of the man's chest, the arming jacket he wore of little help...

Spoiler
    Show

Bandit has Medium Cover 50% (1d100)[87] Failure:

Hit: 8 Damage with 1DR from successful armor save. 7WP Damage and Wounded

You hit because he was caught flat-footed at the start of the initiative. Solid. Also, if you check the mobile pdf I sent out, you'll see you have slightly better bow damage, 1d8+1.

Initiative
    Elakas, Pip
    BR1, BR2, B???
    Bran, Cassius
    Last edited by Zman; 2020-03-18 at 08:16 AM.

29. - Top - End - #119

Spoiler
    Show

Forgot an Armor Save 40% (1d100)[14] Success: DR1
    Last edited by Zman; 2020-03-18 at 08:16 AM.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Felpip Nindlenorn

Over the ledge and Pip is part of the picture now. Bran too. They are safe, they made it; and what was blurred before still is, but with the danger within now rapidly sharpening.

Far below, between the torches by the gate, are the distant figures of their friends. Bandit calls say they have been noticed. Pip cannot make out if Cassius or Elakas’ are replying. But then a bow slap, whistle-whipping to the walls, tells all he needs to hear.

The bandit on the platform – who has just finished signaling his own discoveries – is well placed to do them all harm. Nothing a crossbow bolt can’t change. Pip reaches for his weapon.

Spoiler: Pip Round 1
    Show
    1…Climbs over ledge
    1.5…Draws crossbow
    2.5…Fires at BR2 (1d20+2)[12] for (1d6)[5]