New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Improving Dex Checks

I want to improve my initiative through improving DX checks (since that's what initiative is based off of) but I'm having trouble finding anything like that. If I did custom magic items, would a competence bonus to specifically initiative stack with a competence bonus to DX checks?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Improving Dex Checks

Stone of Good Luck and Pale Green Prism Ioun Stone improve all ability checks but they're not cheap. Some more affordable items which improve initiative directly are Sandals of the Vagabond (CCh), Belt of Battle (MiC), Eager and Warning weapon enhancements (MiC) which all stack with each other, and the Ring of Anticipation (DotU) which allows you to roll twice and take the better result.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

The spell Sign (Clr 1, Miniatures Handbook) lets you treat your initiative d20 as a 20. They updated/nerfed it in the Spell Compendium, though, to only give +4, so Rings of Anticipation (see Biggus's post) are still useful. I think 1d20 drop 1 averages out to about +4 as well, but don't quote me on that.

Nerveskitter (Wiz/Sor 1, Spell Compendium) gives +5. It's 3.0 analogue from Magic of Faerun, Kaupaer's Skittish Nerves, is technically a different spell, and also gives +5 in a slightly different way.

Primal Instinct (Drd 3, Sor 2, Rng 2, Dragon Magic) gives +5 competence to initiative for 24 hours.

Combat Readiness (Wiz/Sor 1, Brd 1, Drow of the Underdark) gives up to +6 insight to initiative.

That's on top of normal Dex-boosting spells like Snake's Swiftness, and Dex/general ability check boosting spells like Improvisation (up to +10!). Honestly, if you have all of the above (+26), you probably won't need it.

Besides spells, there's also stuff like Marshal auras for the Marshal's Cha mod to everyone's Dex checks.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiwen View Post
    Nerveskitter (Wiz/Sor 1, Spell Compendium) gives +5. It's 3.0 analogue from Magic of Faerun, Kaupaer's Skittish Nerves, is technically a different spell, and also gives +5 in a slightly different way.
    It's listed at the start of the SpC as an updated version, so officially it's the same spell as far as I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiwen View Post
    Combat Readiness (Wiz/Sor 1, Brd 1, Drow of the Underdark) gives up to +6 insight to initiative.
    How did I not know about this? *adds to list*

I didn't mention spells as the OP seemed to be asking specifically about items that boost initiative (although you could get wands if you can use them). If they're interested in other methods I have a few more suggestions...

5. - Top - End - #5

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Biggus View Post
    I didn't mention spells as the OP seemed to be asking specifically about items that boost initiative (although you could get wands if you can use them). If they're interested in other methods I have a few more suggestions...
    I was leaning more towards items as my next PC is going to be a pure fighter, but I do have other characters with access to spells...and there are ways for noncasters to be able to cast spells anyways.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

If you can get your DM to allow custom magic items with spell effects per the DMG prices, an item of continuous SC Sign costs 3000gp, and a 1/day command word item of Primal Instinct is only 1440gp.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

In addition to what's already been mentioned, there's:

Heroics (SpC) can grant the Improved Initiative feat

Greater Visage of the Deity (SpC) gives a +2 or +4 untyped bonus to Dex depending on alignment

Inner Beauty (FCI) gives good-aligned characters a +4 sacred bonus to Dex

Divine Agility (SpC) gives a +10 enhancement bonus to Dex

Aura of Vitality (SpC) gives a +4 morale bonus to Dex

Heroics and Inner beauty are both 10mins/level so with a high caster level and Extend Spell (or an Extend rod) and maybe a couple of Pearls of Power can potentially last all day. The others are 1 round/level so would need to be cast immediately before the fight starts.

There are also several feats other than Improved Initiative, which all provide untyped bonuses:

Thug and Blooded (PGtF) each give +2 (you can't have both though as they're Regional feats)

Quick Reconnoiter (CAdv) gives +2

Yondalla's Sense (RotW) gives +Wis but is Halfling only

8. - Top - End - #8

RangerGuy

Thanks for the help all!!