New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default multi class fighter/ranger vs just fighter

Hello
    I am inexperienced with 5e and i am making a character for a campaign that probably won't go past 12.
    I seen threads about putting 3-5 levels in ranger then switch over to fighter. Is that really better then going just fighter?
    In practice how does a ranger 3/fighter 5 compare to a 8th level fighter ?
    I do see the appeal of getting another fighting style and you have proficiency in 3 saving throws instead of 2 but you get ASI's later

I just like to get some input on all the pros and cons
    If I go ranger I am deciding between gloom stalker and hunter

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: multi class fighter/ranger vs just fighter

Quote Originally Posted by huginn View Post
    Hello
    and you have proficiency in 3 saving throws instead of 2 but you get ASI's later
    That's not how saving throw proficiency works. You only get the 2 initial proficiencies from your first class only, if you multiclass.

So you can start Ranger at Level 1 and get STR/DEX proficiency, or start Fighter at Level 1 and get STR/CON proficiency.

Dipping 2, 3, or 5 levels in Ranger is useful for some builds, like some Rogues and some Clerics. But it wouldn't be a very optimal choice for most Fighters.

In addition to delaying your ASIs, it also delays the Fighter's additional Extra Attacks. A Fighter's main schtick is that they're the only class to get more than 2 attacks, so that's a pretty big hit to a Fighter to miss out on or delay those.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Aye, delaying Extra Attack is generally a bad call. If you wanted to MC with either class, I'd want until level 5 for that reason.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The opportunity cost of multi-classing into Ranger is that you will not get a fourth attack (from level 20 Fighter) so if you are in a campaign that will reach level 20, take that into consideration.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

He stated it will top out around 12 so no fourth attack anyway.

That said, a MC in that situation will miss 3 attacks at 11. Is the Ranger gain (and I love Ranger) worth that cost? That is a 50% boost in attacks missed.
    With one exception, I play AL games only nowdays.

I am the eternal Iconoclast.

Mountain Dwarfs Rock!

Song of Gorm Gulthyn
    Blessed be the HAMMER my strength which teaches my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

Otto von Bismarck Quotes

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes, fighter/ranger

I would shoot for IMO:

1 fighter
    2 fighter
    3 fighter (grab an archetype, I'm assuming dex based.... I like battlemaster

Now here's the kicker.... rest goes into ranger, 8 levels and spells, and I like gloomstalker… free dark vision and at 7th wisdom save proficiency

or flip it

8 battlemaster and 3 hunter, hunter is good because horde breaker or colossus slayer are always great.

I recommend archery style, and actually TWF and dual wield scimitars and short swords

begin fighter for con saves, with a 20 dex… you'll have +5 for a save. And a ranger has access to absorb elements

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZorroGames View Post
    That said, a MC in that situation will miss 3 attacks at 11. Is the Ranger gain (and I love Ranger) worth that cost? That is a 50% boost in attacks missed.
    If the level cap for the adventure was 10 or lower, the 3 levels into Ranger could be worth it as a short term investment:
    • 5 levels in Fighter for Extra Attack, 3 levels in Ranger (Hunter) for Hunter's Prey (Horde Breaker), giving you 3 attacks at 8th level with your Attack Action so long as you have two targets withing 5 feet of each other.

but with a level 12 cap it's more valuable to get the Fighter's third attack as it will be less restricted and more reliable.