New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Glamour Bard Experience

There's a character idea that works with both Lore and Glamour Bards, which makes the Glamour Bard seem appealing for a bit of a change. On the other hand, the Flamour Bard seems like it could be so Bonus Action-hungry that you always feel you can't use your features like you would want even as a single-classed Bard (Bardic Inpiration, Mantle of Inspiration, Mantle of Majesty's Command, and eventually Unbreakable Majesty; and then any spells or spell-granted abilities like Healing Word or Heat Metal's heating; and perhaps the occasional racial ability like Fey Step).

Does anyone have experience with Glamour Bards in play to say how they felt over Action Economy concerns / Feature usage?

EDIT, might as well not keep as a follow-up: Also, did you find you used Mantle of Majesty if using that Command meant you couldn't Cast a non-Cantrip Spell with your Action, in addition to the Concentration requirement?
    Last edited by PhantomSoul; 2020-01-27 at 01:57 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Glamour Bard Experience

Glamour is my personal favorite college even of lore edges it out power wise. As far as action economy I never felt it to be to crowded. Sometimes there are conflicts but that is a good thing because that means I have decisions to make every turn.
    Mantle of inspiration definitely is a very fun ablity and if your party likes dropping AoEs it can prevent alot of damage or use it as a flanking ablity to cut off escape routes.

The ability to spam command as a bonus action can be encounter breaking if the target isn't immune to charm. the one instant that stands out my memory was spamming it on an ancient dragon to keep it grounded and burning LS. If i remember correctly i was dodging as my action to stay alive.
    Other times I used it to yo-yo hogoblins prone to keep them at Bay as we strung out their defensive line.

Can say much on the higher level stuff as I multiclassed into order domain cleric for more party support. I had a rogue and Barbarian on the party for targets for reaction attacks.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
    Glamour is my personal favorite college even of lore edges it out power wise. As far as action economy I never felt it to be to crowded. Sometimes there are conflicts but that is a good thing because that means I have decisions to make every turn.
    Mantle of inspiration definitely is a very fun ablity and if your party likes dropping AoEs it can prevent alot of damage or use it as a flanking ablity to cut off escape routes.

The ability to spam command as a bonus action can be encounter breaking if the target isn't immune to charm. the one instant that stands out my memory was spamming it on an ancient dragon to keep it grounded and burning LS. If i remember correctly i was dodging as my action to stay alive.
    Other times I used it to yo-yo hogoblins prone to keep them at Bay as we strung out their defensive line.

Can say much on the higher level stuff as I multiclassed into order domain cleric for more party support. I had a rogue and Barbarian on the party for targets for reaction attacks.
    Excellent -- I definitely want to have options, I just had a slight worry Bonus Actions might be too crowded or that Mantle of Majesty might end up feeling like a trap because of the Concentration cost and limitations on spells if you use Command. Thanks!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomSoul View Post
    Excellent -- I definitely want to have options, I just had a slight worry Bonus Actions might be too crowded or that Mantle of Majesty might end up feeling like a trap because of the Concentration cost and limitations on spells if you use Command. Thanks!
    It really depends on how many encounters/rounds your tables sees between LR. We tend to get stretched thin by the end of the day so anytime we have ways of doing things without spends slots it's going to get rated pretty high.
    There was a few times that I used it just because I had it. Enthralling performance and mantle of majesty combos for tavern fun.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

I honestly consider Glamour to be even better than Lore unless your DM often likes to vibe-check the party for Counterspell. The Bardic Inspiration is just so good, both from raw numbers and from a tactics perspective.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

I loved my glamour bard! It is bonus action hungry, yes, but I would just decide whether I wanted to keep popping bonus action Command or regular inspo/mantle. The 3rd level alt use of inspiration is VERY powerful, it can give you the ability to gain more favourable positioning, get everyone out of the way for an AoE, or escape. I'd definitely recommend it.